video tutorials on the wiki...?

jlm@justinfront.net
Someone in the forum was struggling with getting started so I googled for a video on haXe and I came across a video John Lindquist posted.  I was thinking it would be ideal really if we could embed the video in the wiki ( maybe a smaller size and link off to larger size ), if John is listening... can we? , and create some similar ones.  I am not sure what software is best for recording the screen... is there any free ones?  And what file sizes would be ok... maybe Influxis could help with a subdomain where we could host these? I guess we should look at flash and html video solutions.  Also maybe we could talk with John about doing a few more, I am sure others can but he seems quite good from what I saw... but I did not watch every second like a new user would.

Anyway to the downloads page I added this...

John Lindquist has created a [[http://johnlindquist.com/2010/01/27/haxe-tutorial/|video tutorial]] showing the simplicity of this automatic setup, the tutorial is for the windows platform, and covers a simple example for the flash target using FlashDevelop editor.

I can look to setup up subtitles if we get translations or we can try to get one in every language?

I think seeing haXe installed for a new user is really important, but a shame to have to link off, but obviously it would be nice to see some other platforms/targets etc...  If people think this is a good idea maybe we can get this going.

Cheers

;j

Re: video tutorials on the wiki...?

AlanKlement
Hey guys,

I can chime in on this, but first a quick into:

Some of you may know me. I'm with the FDT team and we're getting back
to working on the haXe plugin. So much so that most of my time over
the last 2 weeks and moving forward is spent learning and
experimenting with haXe. I'm also the guy who wrote 99% of the content
for our wiki (http://fdt.powerflasher.com/docs/Main_Page) and the 140+
videos on the Vimeo page (http://vimeo.com/fdt/videos)

I mention this because I am about to begin creating a list of haXe
videos and written tutorials that are both haXe only and FDT haXe.
They will be posted on our blog / wiki / Vimeo page so everyone is
welcome to directly embed them into any webpage.

As they start coming online, I'll post them here and mention it on G+
/ Twitter. I'm always up for corrections and suggestions.

For anyone who is interested in making their own videos I suggest:

1) Screenflow for recording, effects, callouts and editing. Cheep and
very powerful
2) Garageband for voice mixing and editing. It's free.
3) Blue snowball mic (http://www.bluemic.com/snowball/). Cheep
4) Vimeo for hosing. Free

Alan

On Thu, Aug 18, 2011 at 7:41 AM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> http://johnlindquist.com/2010/01/27/haxe-tutorial/

Re: video tutorials on the wiki...?

jlm@justinfront.net
Alan thanks for the advise, can you add links to the relevant videos here...

I have taken the liberty of adding John's video but have notified him.

HaXers...

Nicolas as added some features that allow video on the wiki, if you have a video tutorial you wish to be added to the haXe site please provide a link in the forum thread above to a youtube or similar well known video host,  and I will go in and manually add the embed code in the thread and later the community can look to choosing the best videos for key parts of the wiki, obviously I will edit the thread where needed to keep a good structure if it needs it.

Do not post the link on the mailing list as I can't be sure of catching the link, but I am always aware when the forum has changed.

Once again video links post here:

Your chance to be famous ;)

Thanks

Justin

<[hidden email]> wrote:
http://johnlindquist.com/2010/01/27/haxe-tutorial/

Re: video tutorials on the wiki...?

jlm@justinfront.net
I have added 'Video Tutorials' to the docs page, I think this is likely to change but still considering best options.

Max has been busy adding some nice tutorials I am hoping he will write one on preparing a Video Tutorial.

As mentioned before add the video utube links to:

or contact me off list and I will create a page with some embeds, if I get flooded we can look at maybe creating some template so you can add your own but I haven't as yet!  I am sure I have seen a few more please remind me as I can't catch them all.

Cheer

;j