variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

Alex Liebert
So I've dragged my feet for awhile switching to the latest svn install tool so as not to break my project, but I want to move forward and start using the new stuff.

Unfortunately, when i run install tool it just hangs indefinitely with no message output (even if i specify verbose.)  I cut things out of my nmml line by line until it would run, it seems this:

<window
width="${WIDTH}"
height="${HEIGHT}"
orientation="landscape"
fps="30"
background="0xffffff"
resizeable="${RESIZABLE}"
hardware="true"
/>

was not working (the variables ${}), which  i was setting something like this:

<set name="WIDTH" value="840" if="android" />
<set name="HEIGHT" value="480" if="android" />
<set name="RESIZABLE" value="true" if="android" />

(example).

What should I change to convert my nmml to work with latest?

thanks,

alex

Re: variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

singmajesty
Try:

if="target_android"

On Mon, 22 Aug 2011 23:04:40 -0700, Alex Liebert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I've dragged my feet for awhile switching to the latest svn install
> tool
> so as not to break my project, but I want to move forward and start using
> the new stuff.
>
> Unfortunately, when i run install tool it just hangs indefinitely with no
> message output (even if i specify verbose.)  I cut things out of my nmml
> line by line until it would run, it seems this:
>
> <window
> width="${WIDTH}"
> height="${HEIGHT}"
> orientation="landscape"
> fps="30"
> background="0xffffff"
> resizeable="${RESIZABLE}"
> hardware="true"
> />
>
> was not working (the variables ${}), which  i was setting something like
> this:
>
> <set name="WIDTH" value="840" if="android" />
> <set name="HEIGHT" value="480" if="android" />
> <set name="RESIZABLE" value="true" if="android" />
>
> (example).
>
> What should I change to convert my nmml to work with latest?
>
> thanks,
>
> alex

Re: variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

Joshua Harlan Lifton
I ran into exactly this problem a couple of weeks ago. I ended up
reverting to a previous version of NME for other reasons (frame rate
was about crawling in the newer version - anyone know why?), but I'd
like to make the upgrade eventually and will need to deal with this
problem then.

Cheers,
Josh

On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Alex Liebert
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> So I've dragged my feet for awhile switching to the latest svn install tool
> so as not to break my project, but I want to move forward and start using
> the new stuff.
> Unfortunately, when i run install tool it just hangs indefinitely with no
> message output (even if i specify verbose.)  I cut things out of my nmml
> line by line until it would run, it seems this:
> <window
> width="${WIDTH}"
> height="${HEIGHT}"
> orientation="landscape"
> fps="30"
> background="0xffffff"
> resizeable="${RESIZABLE}"
> hardware="true"
> />
> was not working (the variables ${}), which  i was setting something like
> this:
> <set name="WIDTH" value="840" if="android" />
> <set name="HEIGHT" value="480" if="android" />
> <set name="RESIZABLE" value="true" if="android" />
> (example).
> What should I change to convert my nmml to work with latest?
> thanks,
> alex

Re: variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

Alex Liebert
no go unfortunately; this simple test failed:

<set name="TESTWIDTH" value="150"/>

<window
width="${TESTWIDTH}"

Side note...I'm trying to rebuild install tool to test, but I'm getting a primitive not found /neko api error when running run.n.  Don't know why, because I've rebuilt nekoapi.ndll...and why would it need that anyway, if its a neko program and not a cpp one?  confusing myself now...

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 12:05 AM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I fixed the substitute problem on install-tool - you will
need to update nme and rebuild the tool.

Not sure about the frame-rate though.  No much should have changed.
The only thing might be a "cacheAsBitmap" or filter that is wrongly
getting tagged as dirty when it shouldn't.  Or some difficulty with
large display sets I have not anticipated.
I also recently fixed a problem on intel+windows+opengl where the
point-aliasing was really slow.  Can you give any ideas about
what might be unusual with your graphics?

Hugh

> I ran into exactly this problem a couple of weeks ago. I ended up
> reverting to a previous version of NME for other reasons (frame rate
> was about crawling in the newer version - anyone know why?), but I'd
> like to make the upgrade eventually and will need to deal with this
> problem then.
>
> Cheers,
> Josh
>
> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Alex Liebert
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> So I've dragged my feet for awhile switching to the latest svn install
>> tool
>> so as not to break my project, but I want to move forward and start
>> using
>> the new stuff.
>> Unfortunately, when i run install tool it just hangs indefinitely with
>> no
>> message output (even if i specify verbose.)  I cut things out of my nmml
>> line by line until it would run, it seems this:
>> <window
>> width="${WIDTH}"
>> height="${HEIGHT}"
>> orientation="landscape"
>> fps="30"
>> background="0xffffff"
>> resizeable="${RESIZABLE}"
>> hardware="true"
>> />
>> was not working (the variables ${}), which  i was setting something like
>> this:
>> <set name="WIDTH" value="840" if="android" />
>> <set name="HEIGHT" value="480" if="android" />
>> <set name="RESIZABLE" value="true" if="android" />
>> (example).
>> What should I change to convert my nmml to work with latest?
>> thanks,
>> alex

Re: variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

Alex Liebert
Thanks Hugh, I'll update and see if I can build the install tool now (without the odd cffi errors.)

Not sure if this helps on the framerate issue (@joshua) but:

At two points I falsely believed than an nme update has killed my framerate, before I found the true culprit.  The framerate seems to drop to 1fps when certain conditions are met, like having recently viewed a video in Firefox, and will be fixed by closing Firefox, in combination with having 3D modeling software open.  This sounds completely nonesensical, I know, but it seems as though my video card is trying to make some smart decisions about settings automatically when OpenGL programs run, and that in some cases they were not ones that played well with the NME renderer.

Hi,

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The application I'm developing is a map with many layers and therefore
uses a lot of memory. I make selective use of cacheAsBitmap and I
aggressively garbage collect. I use an embedded font and often apply
two drop shadow filters for map labels. I use a timer to animate one
some map symbols. These are just the things that come to mind that
might set the application apart from others - I haven't had time to
test which of these characteristics might be the culprit in the slow
down.

Cheers,
Josh

On Tue, Aug 23, 2011 at 8:48 AM, Gamehaxe <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> I fixed the substitute problem on install-tool - you will
> need to update nme and rebuild the tool.
>
> Not sure about the frame-rate though.  No much should have changed.
> The only thing might be a "cacheAsBitmap" or filter that is wrongly
> getting tagged as dirty when it shouldn't.  Or some difficulty with
> large display sets I have not anticipated.
> I also recently fixed a problem on intel+windows+opengl where the
> point-aliasing was really slow.  Can you give any ideas about
> what might be unusual with your graphics?
>
> Hugh
>
>> I ran into exactly this problem a couple of weeks ago. I ended up
>> reverting to a previous version of NME for other reasons (frame rate
>> was about crawling in the newer version - anyone know why?), but I'd
>> like to make the upgrade eventually and will need to deal with this
>> problem then.
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Josh
>>
>> On Mon, Aug 22, 2011 at 11:04 PM, Alex Liebert
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> So I've dragged my feet for awhile switching to the latest svn install
>>> tool
>>> so as not to break my project, but I want to move forward and start using
>>> the new stuff.
>>> Unfortunately, when i run install tool it just hangs indefinitely with no
>>> message output (even if i specify verbose.)  I cut things out of my nmml
>>> line by line until it would run, it seems this:
>>> <window
>>> width="${WIDTH}"
>>> height="${HEIGHT}"
>>> orientation="landscape"
>>> fps="30"
>>> background="0xffffff"
>>> resizeable="${RESIZABLE}"
>>> hardware="true"
>>> />
>>> was not working (the variables ${}), which  i was setting something like
>>> this:
>>> <set name="WIDTH" value="840" if="android" />
>>> <set name="HEIGHT" value="480" if="android" />
>>> <set name="RESIZABLE" value="true" if="android" />
>>> (example).
>>> What should I change to convert my nmml to work with latest?
>>> thanks,
>>> alex

Re: variables no longer supported in nme install tool?

Joshua Harlan Lifton
Interesting data point, Alex. I'm running on an iPad, so the
particular examples (Firefox and 3D modeling software) don't apply,
but I'll pay more attention to what other apps are open.

Thanks,
Josh