using FDT as IDE for Haxe

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
18 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

using FDT as IDE for Haxe

interaction-designer
Hi All,

As long as FlashDevelop is not running on Mac (will it ever, considering it uses .NET and mono isn't all that) and I use Linux or Mac-OSX I need something with the comparable ease of use. In the distant past I testdrived a couple of versions of Eclipse, the IDE itself compiled badly, takes ages to startup and also sometimes currupts during updates or after new plugins. Tried the Eclipse based of FDT and had that "been-there-done-that"-feeling once more again. And I think there is more than the low ambitious statement "every IDE adding Haxe support is a good thing".. Choice..

Choice between the use of:
1. FlashDevelop: the lightweight out-of-the-box all rich functionality, however deeply a sucker for .NET on a windows Virtual Machine
2. FDT: a crossplatform solution that uses alpha quality plugin on a eternal bloaty eclipse.

For now the suction power of FDT is too great for me. Vim and commandline might still be the best crossplatform solution. I think i am falling for the latter, takes some time to learn, but always works. FDT is not ready for production, by far.

Cheers
 

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

tommedema
Yep, there's 3 things haXe lacks: 1) big community 2) quality documentation 3) stable and free cross-platform IDE.

It's a shame but we have to live with it for now.

- Tom

2010/7/23 <[hidden email]>
Hi All,

As long as FlashDevelop is not running on Mac (will it ever, considering it uses .NET and mono isn't all that) and I use Linux or Mac-OSX I need something with the comparable ease of use. In the distant past I testdrived a couple of versions of Eclipse, the IDE itself compiled badly, takes ages to startup and also sometimes currupts during updates or after new plugins. Tried the Eclipse based of FDT and had that "been-there-done-that"-feeling once more again. And I think there is more than the low ambitious statement "every IDE adding Haxe support is a good thing".. Choice..

Choice between the use of:
1. FlashDevelop: the lightweight out-of-the-box all rich functionality, however deeply a sucker for .NET on a windows Virtual Machine
2. FDT: a crossplatform solution that uses alpha quality plugin on a eternal bloaty eclipse.

For now the suction power of FDT is too great for me. Vim and commandline might still be the best crossplatform solution. I think i am falling for the latter, takes some time to learn, but always works. FDT is not ready for production, by far.

Cheers


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Lee Sylvester
:-) Just to comment on these points; 3 is going to be covered by FDT,
once they're gotten out of beta. I know it's a paid app, but it's well
used, feature rich and cross-platform.

2 will be covered by me, once I get into full swing.

1 might take some time, but at least the community we have is awesome,
with some truly dedicated and visionary members the likes of which
aren't often apparent in other communities.

Personally, I think haXe has a great and bright future.

Lee






Tom wrote:

> Yep, there's 3 things haXe lacks: 1) big community 2) quality
> documentation 3) stable and free cross-platform IDE.
>
> It's a shame but we have to live with it for now.
>
> - Tom
>
> 2010/7/23 <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     Hi All,
>
>     As long as FlashDevelop is not running on Mac (will it ever,
>     considering it uses .NET and mono isn't all that) and I use Linux
>     or Mac-OSX I need something with the comparable ease of use. In
>     the distant past I testdrived a couple of versions of Eclipse, the
>     IDE itself compiled badly, takes ages to startup and also
>     sometimes currupts during updates or after new plugins. Tried the
>     Eclipse based of FDT and had that "been-there-done-that"-feeling
>     once more again. And I think there is more than the low ambitious
>     statement "every IDE adding Haxe support is a good thing".. Choice..
>
>     Choice between the use of:
>     1. FlashDevelop: the lightweight out-of-the-box all rich
>     functionality, however deeply a sucker for .NET on a windows
>     Virtual Machine
>     2. FDT: a crossplatform solution that uses alpha quality plugin on
>     a eternal bloaty eclipse.
>
>     For now the suction power of FDT is too great for me. Vim and
>     commandline might still be the best crossplatform solution. I
>     think i am falling for the latter, takes some time to learn, but
>     always works. FDT is not ready for production, by far.
>
>     Cheers
>
>
>     --
>     haXe - an open source web programming language
>     http://haxe.org
>
>


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

tommedema
I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source and free to use IDE.

- Tom

2010/7/23 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]>
:-) Just to comment on these points; 3 is going to be covered by FDT, once they're gotten out of beta. I know it's a paid app, but it's well used, feature rich and cross-platform.

2 will be covered by me, once I get into full swing.

1 might take some time, but at least the community we have is awesome, with some truly dedicated and visionary members the likes of which aren't often apparent in other communities.

Personally, I think haXe has a great and bright future.

Lee






Tom wrote:
Yep, there's 3 things haXe lacks: 1) big community 2) quality documentation 3) stable and free cross-platform IDE.

It's a shame but we have to live with it for now.

- Tom

2010/7/23 <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>


   Hi All,

   As long as FlashDevelop is not running on Mac (will it ever,
   considering it uses .NET and mono isn't all that) and I use Linux
   or Mac-OSX I need something with the comparable ease of use. In
   the distant past I testdrived a couple of versions of Eclipse, the
   IDE itself compiled badly, takes ages to startup and also
   sometimes currupts during updates or after new plugins. Tried the
   Eclipse based of FDT and had that "been-there-done-that"-feeling
   once more again. And I think there is more than the low ambitious
   statement "every IDE adding Haxe support is a good thing".. Choice..

   Choice between the use of:
   1. FlashDevelop: the lightweight out-of-the-box all rich
   functionality, however deeply a sucker for .NET on a windows
   Virtual Machine
   2. FDT: a crossplatform solution that uses alpha quality plugin on
   a eternal bloaty eclipse.

   For now the suction power of FDT is too great for me. Vim and
   commandline might still be the best crossplatform solution. I
   think i am falling for the latter, takes some time to learn, but
   always works. FDT is not ready for production, by far.

   Cheers


   --
   haXe - an open source web programming language
   http://haxe.org




--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Nicolas Cannasse
Tom a écrit :
> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source and
> free to use IDE.
>
> - Tom

You're welcome to contribute one ;)

Nicolas

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

MarcWeber
Excerpts from Nicolas Cannasse's message of Fri Jul 23 15:35:36 +0200 2010:
> You're welcome to contribute one ;)
If you prefer open source IDE's the only question which arises is:
Can someone write an open source IDE instead if people considering
buying a FDT license spent their money on the open source software
instead?

But I think its a hard job.

But we could start a feature matrix on haxe.org telling users what to
expect using which editor?
 
Marc Weber

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Lee Sylvester
In reply to this post by Nicolas Cannasse
I've had talks about this with both Blackdog and Hugh, and from good
intentions, we'd "planned" to do such an IDE, but on my part, something
would come along that sapped up all my time. :-(

It'll happen.

Lee






Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Tom a écrit :
>> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source
>> and free to use IDE.
>>
>> - Tom
>
> You're welcome to contribute one ;)
>
> Nicolas
>


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Dion Amago
I've written a Haxe pluging for jEdit.

jEdit is a pretty versatile and powerful text editor, it supports a
ton of languages, and it's open source, platform agnostic, and free.

The Haxe plugin is in the early stages, but currently it has:

-code completion
-automatic imports
-matching build errors to source files, so you can click on the error
to jump to the source where the problem is

jEdit has a bunch of other plugins that make editing haxe easier, such
as Ctags integration, project management, and really good
mode-specific abbreviations, and powerful macros written in several
languages.

In the near future, there will be some significant improvements.
Someone is working on integrating all the plugin code completion
plugins to use a central system, so that code completion suggestions
can come from other than the haxe compiler (e.g. ctags variables,
Class names, and others).

Considering the openness if jEdit, state of the plugin now, compared
to the effort put in, I would suggest using this jEdit plugin as the
focus for a Haxe community-driven IDE.

Dion


On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Lee McColl Sylvester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I've had talks about this with both Blackdog and Hugh, and from good
> intentions, we'd "planned" to do such an IDE, but on my part, something
> would come along that sapped up all my time. :-(
>
> It'll happen.
>
> Lee
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>>
>> Tom a écrit :
>>>
>>> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source and
>>> free to use IDE.
>>>
>>> - Tom
>>
>> You're welcome to contribute one ;)
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

blackdog-2

jedit is a very good editor and I used it as my primary editor for a while. when compared to IDE's bloat and startup time it's very good. It's also very customisable, and you could target haxe js to run on rhino to write plugins for it. My only real problem with it was it's memory usage - which is a jvm issue - I can't abide 60-100mb images for a text editor - on saying that i see my emacs is using 44 right now. One other issue with jedit development was really slow after Slava left, in fact current stable 4.3.2 i think was more or less what it was when i stopped using it a couple of years ago.


On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:16 AM, Dion Amago <[hidden email]> wrote:
I've written a Haxe pluging for jEdit.

jEdit is a pretty versatile and powerful text editor, it supports a
ton of languages, and it's open source, platform agnostic, and free.

The Haxe plugin is in the early stages, but currently it has:

-code completion
-automatic imports
-matching build errors to source files, so you can click on the error
to jump to the source where the problem is

jEdit has a bunch of other plugins that make editing haxe easier, such
as Ctags integration, project management, and really good
mode-specific abbreviations, and powerful macros written in several
languages.

In the near future, there will be some significant improvements.
Someone is working on integrating all the plugin code completion
plugins to use a central system, so that code completion suggestions
can come from other than the haxe compiler (e.g. ctags variables,
Class names, and others).

Considering the openness if jEdit, state of the plugin now, compared
to the effort put in, I would suggest using this jEdit plugin as the
focus for a Haxe community-driven IDE.

Dion


On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 10:02 AM, Lee McColl Sylvester
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I've had talks about this with both Blackdog and Hugh, and from good
> intentions, we'd "planned" to do such an IDE, but on my part, something
> would come along that sapped up all my time. :-(
>
> It'll happen.
>
> Lee
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>>
>> Tom a écrit :
>>>
>>> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source and
>>> free to use IDE.
>>>
>>> - Tom
>>
>> You're welcome to contribute one ;)
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

tommedema
In reply to this post by Nicolas Cannasse

Hehe I would if I had the time and knowledge :)

Op 23 jul 2010 15:36 schreef "Nicolas Cannasse" <[hidden email]>:

Tom a écrit :


>
> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source and free to use IDE.
>
> - ...

You're welcome to contribute one ;)

Nicolas

--

haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Ron Wheeler
In reply to this post by tommedema
On 23/07/2010 9:28 AM, Tom wrote:
I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open source and free to use IDE.
FDT is mostly open source but not completely and not free.
You could use Eclipse on its own.
You could add some plug-ins to automate some of the tasks.

Or just pay $129 for someone's plug-ins all packed up into a neat install.

At what price does the IDE become worthwhile for you? How do you calculate ROI on an IDE. What is an hour of your time worth to you - to your clients.

Ron


- Tom

2010/7/23 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]>
:-) Just to comment on these points; 3 is going to be covered by FDT, once they're gotten out of beta. I know it's a paid app, but it's well used, feature rich and cross-platform.

2 will be covered by me, once I get into full swing.

1 might take some time, but at least the community we have is awesome, with some truly dedicated and visionary members the likes of which aren't often apparent in other communities.

Personally, I think haXe has a great and bright future.

Lee






Tom wrote:
Yep, there's 3 things haXe lacks: 1) big community 2) quality documentation 3) stable and free cross-platform IDE.

It's a shame but we have to live with it for now.

- Tom

2010/7/23 <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>


   Hi All,

   As long as FlashDevelop is not running on Mac (will it ever,
   considering it uses .NET and mono isn't all that) and I use Linux
   or Mac-OSX I need something with the comparable ease of use. In
   the distant past I testdrived a couple of versions of Eclipse, the
   IDE itself compiled badly, takes ages to startup and also
   sometimes currupts during updates or after new plugins. Tried the
   Eclipse based of FDT and had that "been-there-done-that"-feeling
   once more again. And I think there is more than the low ambitious
   statement "every IDE adding Haxe support is a good thing".. Choice..

   Choice between the use of:
   1. FlashDevelop: the lightweight out-of-the-box all rich
   functionality, however deeply a sucker for .NET on a windows
   Virtual Machine
   2. FDT: a crossplatform solution that uses alpha quality plugin on
   a eternal bloaty eclipse.

   For now the suction power of FDT is too great for me. Vim and
   commandline might still be the best crossplatform solution. I
   think i am falling for the latter, takes some time to learn, but
   always works. FDT is not ready for production, by far.

   Cheers


   --
   haXe - an open source web programming language
   http://haxe.org




--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

tommedema

If I can do it in flashdevelop, not that much actually.

Op 23 jul 2010 18:34 schreef "Ron Wheeler" <[hidden email]>:

On 23/07/2010 9:28 AM, Tom wrote:
>
> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open s...

FDT is mostly open source but not completely and not free.
You could use Eclipse on its own.
You could add some plug-ins to automate some of the tasks.

Or just pay $129 for someone's plug-ins all packed up into a neat install.

At what price does the IDE become worthwhile for you? How do you calculate ROI on an IDE. What is an hour of your time worth to you - to your clients.

Ron


>
> - Tom
>
> 2010/7/23 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]>
>>
>> :-) Just to comment on t...


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

go2ghana
  Am 23.07.2010 19:07, schrieb Tom:

>
> If I can do it in flashdevelop, not that much actually.
>
>> Op 23 jul 2010 18:34 schreef "Ron Wheeler"
>> <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>>
>> On 23/07/2010 9:28 AM, Tom wrote:
>> >
>> > I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open s...
>>
>> FDT is mostly open source but not completely and not free.
>> You could use Eclipse on its own.
>> You could add some plug-ins to automate some of the tasks.
>>
>> Or just pay $129 for someone's plug-ins all packed up into a neat
>> install.
>>
>> At what price does the IDE become worthwhile for you? How do you
>> calculate ROI on an IDE. What is an hour of your time worth to you -
>> to your clients.
>>
>> Ron
>>
>>
>> >
>> > - Tom
>> >
>> > 2010/7/23 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]
>> <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>> >>
>> >> :-) Just to comment on t...
>>
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
Tom - I completely agree - haXe needs a free open source IDE
I love FD but it's dependency on the net framework is a nightmare like
almost everything from big blue...
We need to port it to haXe :-)

Cordially,
Axel

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Tony Polinelli
I'll be frank. I'm with ron- surely if you are atleast semi
professional dishing out a few hundred dollars is worth it for the
increased productivity- just cost it into a job-
sure a free altenative (crossplatform) would be nice but that takes
time and effort.
Thanks to the fdt guys for providing a good option. I think it's rude
that these fd comparisons keep comming up whenever fdt is mentioned
here- if you don't want to buy it- don't- but for Those who do- great!

On Saturday, July 24, 2010, Axel Huizinga <[hidden email]> wrote:

>  Am 23.07.2010 19:07, schrieb Tom:
>
>
> If I can do it in flashdevelop, not that much actually.
>
>
> Op 23 jul 2010 18:34 schreef "Ron Wheeler" <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>:
>
> On 23/07/2010 9:28 AM, Tom wrote:
>>
>> I'm not doubting it's future, but I do think we need an open s...
>
> FDT is mostly open source but not completely and not free.
> You could use Eclipse on its own.
> You could add some plug-ins to automate some of the tasks.
>
> Or just pay $129 for someone's plug-ins all packed up into a neat install.
>
> At what price does the IDE become worthwhile for you? How do you calculate ROI on an IDE. What is an hour of your time worth to you - to your clients.
>
> Ron
>
>
>>
>> - Tom
>>
>> 2010/7/23 Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>>>
>>> :-) Just to comment on t...
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>
> Tom - I completely agree - haXe needs a free open source IDE
> I love FD but it's dependency on the net framework is a nightmare like almost everything from big blue...
> We need to port it to haXe :-)
>
> Cordially,
> Axel
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
Tony Polinelli
http://touchmypixel.com

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Hudson Ansley
Rude? wow, that's interesting, just for mentioning a very capable,
free and open source alternative? I've seen rude posts, but IMO, not
in this thread.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I think it's rude
> that these fd comparisons keep comming up whenever fdt is mentioned
> here- if you don't want to buy it- don't- but for Those who do- great!
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

tommedema
I don't understand the rude-remark either.

Anyway, I think we pretty much covered this topic.

Also, if the haXe community grows a lot, developing a community powered IDE will probably not be a problem.

- Tom

2010/7/23 Hudson Ansley <[hidden email]>
Rude? wow, that's interesting, just for mentioning a very capable,
free and open source alternative? I've seen rude posts, but IMO, not
in this thread.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I think it's rude
> that these fd comparisons keep comming up whenever fdt is mentioned
> here- if you don't want to buy it- don't- but for Those who do- great!
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

Niel Drummond-3
Hello,

I'm a little bit exasperated by these kind of threads (and there are a few) - there is this notion that haXe IDE support is missing: this is factually quite wrong. haXe support for IDE's is large and growing every month, with support for every OS and every taste.

http://haxe.org/com/ide

There are >25 links there - most of them have syntax highlighting, indentation and code completion. I personally use Vim, and the support for it is better than other much more established languages like java.

If you need debugging support for the flash target - I would argue that this warrants a completely different thread topic, because haXe has many targets, and in many cases you would not forgo debuggers that run in a native environment (like gdb or firebug). The same goes for profiling.

So, if you are going to bash IDE support, please be more specific - it is IMO mostly factually wrong, and in many cases just fuels a myth that is not true any more.

- Niel

On 23/07/10 21:00, Tom wrote:
I don't understand the rude-remark either.

Anyway, I think we pretty much covered this topic.

Also, if the haXe community grows a lot, developing a community powered IDE will probably not be a problem.

- Tom

2010/7/23 Hudson Ansley <[hidden email]>
Rude? wow, that's interesting, just for mentioning a very capable,
free and open source alternative? I've seen rude posts, but IMO, not
in this thread.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I think it's rude
> that these fd comparisons keep comming up whenever fdt is mentioned
> here- if you don't want to buy it- don't- but for Those who do- great!
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: using FDT as IDE for Haxe

tong-2
In reply to this post by tommedema
On 07/23/2010 09:00 PM, Tom wrote:
I don't understand the rude-remark either.

Anyway, I think we pretty much covered this topic.

Also, if the haXe community grows a lot, developing a community powered IDE will probably not be a problem.


hey,

we already created a google group for an IDE:
http://groups.google.at/group/hide_haxe
.. sadly inactive, i guess everybody is busy with other stuff, at least i am.
our intention was/is to create a web based IDE which runs on every device supporting html5 plus a remote (or local) compiler backend. .. as said less activity, therefore discussible.
join and push it!

2 cents to FDT:
eclipse is bloated anyway, but at first run FDT warns you to increase reserved memory to 768mb! (256 before), fail.
also, as a haXe developer (nearly null actionscript) i don't see the point for paying or installing the as3/mxmlc stuff.
overall i think its an attractor for haXe/flash developers, just not for me ..i am happy with eclihaxe 0.0.3 :-)

.tong


- Tom

2010/7/23 Hudson Ansley <[hidden email]>
Rude? wow, that's interesting, just for mentioning a very capable,
free and open source alternative? I've seen rude posts, but IMO, not
in this thread.

On Fri, Jul 23, 2010 at 2:37 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>  I think it's rude
> that these fd comparisons keep comming up whenever fdt is mentioned
> here- if you don't want to buy it- don't- but for Those who do- great!
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



-- 
[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org