the second haxecpp/nekonme game on Apple Store?

the second haxecpp/nekonme game on Apple Store?

davidedc
Hi,

just to mention that, thanks to Hugh and everyone involved with hxcpp/nekonme, the second (I believe) haxecpp/nekonme game has been approved by Apple: http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-pop-pop/id424495905?mt=8&ls=1

It's really simple, this version doesn't use the retina display, also it quietly crashes when backgrounded (the latter two points have been addressed in the meantime). But hey it's OK for killing a few minutes while waiting for the bus, the music is catchy and we got a couple of friends hooked.

With this one we really just wanted to go through the motions, check whether Apple would approve it for tier one price ( 99c US$ ) etc. etc.

Technical remarks:
  - we don't Clear() the screen every frame, so we can cheaply make trail effects by painting a semitransparent background every frame.
  - we have added vertical autorotation. I see that there are some mentions to autorotation in the svn repo so maybe that's supported out of the box by nekonme now.
  - we paint text with our custom routines and an adaptation of a free Helvetica variation (won't digress here on why). Painting small text crisply was a pain in the neck.

If you want to give it a run just drop me a line for the promocode.

Cheers,
Davide

Re: the second haxecpp/nekonme game on Apple Store?

Baluta Cristian
Seems to move better than the other game, it's also much simpler, but has no gameplay, for me it's not ok killing any time. I see also that it has no multitasking support, if you're interrupted you lose everything. Maybe this should be taken into consideration by Hugh, since any new or old iphone app supports this in a way or another.

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: the second haxecpp/nekonme game on Apple Store?

davidedc
Thanks for buying it!

Yes let's say it didn't take long to make, so gameplay is rather minimalistic.

Multitasking support has been fixed (or at least temporarily addressed) by the patch on issue 49. After submission though, so yeah the next update will fix that.

Cheers,
Davide - 30c$ richer

On 15 Mar 2011, at 12:57, Baluta Cristian wrote:

[...]

HXCPP supports file I/O, which is probably the best approach for
maintaining the application's state.

Trying to handle this automatically from a framework perspective seems
like a huge headache, and isn't useful for most platforms. Linux, Windows
and Mac OS obviously don't need a "hibernation" mode, nor does webOS
(which allows multiple applications to run at the same time)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2011 05:57:19 -0700, Baluta Cristian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Seems to move better than the other game, it's also much simpler, but
> has no
> gameplay, for me it's not ok killing any time. I see also that it has no
> multitasking support, if you're interrupted you lose everything. Maybe
> this
> should be taken into consideration by Hugh, since any new or old iphone
> app
> supports this in a way or another.
>
> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM, Tony Polinelli
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> nice one!  Its great to see another hxcpp game in the store.
>>

>> On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 8:52 PM, Davide Della Casa
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> just to mention that, thanks to Hugh and everyone involved with
>>> hxcpp/nekonme, the second (I believe) haxecpp/nekonme game has been
>>> approved
>>> by Apple:
>>> http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/bubble-pop-pop/id424495905?mt=8&ls=1
>>>
>>> It's really simple, this version doesn't use the retina display, also
>>> it
>>> quietly crashes when backgrounded (the latter two points have been
>>> addressed
>>> in the meantime). But hey it's OK for killing a few minutes while
>>> waiting
>>> for the bus, the music is catchy and we got a couple of friends hooked.
>>>
>>> With this one we really just wanted to go through the motions, check
>>> whether Apple would approve it for tier one price ( 99c US$ ) etc. etc.
>>>
>>> Technical remarks:
>>>  - we don't Clear() the screen every frame, so we can cheaply make
>>> trail
>>> effects by painting a semitransparent background every frame.
>>>  - we have added vertical autorotation. I see that there are some
>>> mentions
>>> to autorotation in the svn repo so maybe that's supported out of the
>>> box by
>>> nekonme now.
>>>  - we paint text with our custom routines and an adaptation of a free
>>> Helvetica variation (won't digress here on why). Painting small text
>>> crisply
>>> was a pain in the neck.
>>>
>>> If you want to give it a run just drop me a line for the promocode.
>>>
>>> Cheers,
>>> Davide

>> Tony Polinelli
>> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: the second haxecpp/nekonme game on Apple Store?

Yes, there is some work to do with pausing/resuming/saving state.
At the very least a "save yourself now" kind of event.
I also what to add an API like flash SharedObject - these
additions are on the roadmap.

Hugh