running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

Kevin Koechley
Hello,

I am currently trying to figure out if it is possible to use flashDevelop on virtual windows for mac.  It is running, but is just VERY slow.  It takes me about 5 seconds every time flashDevelop uses the code completion - which totally defeats the reason for using code completion in the first place.  I'm also having a problem with the debugger crashing flashDevelop.

I'm using vmWare at the moment, and wasn't sure if parallels would work better.  Has anybody had any success?

Yes, i know this isn't the ideal solution - but i was just trying to bridge the gap until FDT5 is released with haXe support.  I am hoping I don't have to hard-boot into windows via bootcamp, so i can still use my mac apps as well... but this might be a BIG ask.

Thanks!

Kevin

Re: running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

singmajesty
Try and run the FlashDevelop Bridge... it should help:

http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7621

On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:18:48 -0700, Kevin Koechley <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to figure out if it is possible to use
> flashDevelop on virtual windows for mac.  It is running, but is just
> VERY slow.  It takes me about 5 seconds every time flashDevelop uses the
> code completion - which totally defeats the reason for using code
> completion in the first place.  I'm also having a problem with the
> debugger crashing flashDevelop.
>
> I'm using vmWare at the moment, and wasn't sure if parallels would work
> better.  Has anybody had any success?
>
> Yes, i know this isn't the ideal solution - but i was just trying to
> bridge the gap until FDT5 is released with haXe support.  I am hoping I
> don't have to hard-boot into windows via bootcamp, so i can still use my
> mac apps as well... but this might be a BIG ask.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin

Re: running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

Here are some builds:

http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=3529

wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently trying to figure out if it is possible to use
> flashDevelop on virtual windows for mac.  It is running, but is just
> VERY slow.  It takes me about 5 seconds every time flashDevelop uses the
> code completion - which totally defeats the reason for using code
> completion in the first place.  I'm also having a problem with the
> debugger crashing flashDevelop.
>
> I'm using vmWare at the moment, and wasn't sure if parallels would work
> better.  Has anybody had any success?
>
> Yes, i know this isn't the ideal solution - but i was just trying to
> bridge the gap until FDT5 is released with haXe support.  I am hoping I
> don't have to hard-boot into windows via bootcamp, so i can still use my
> mac apps as well... but this might be a BIG ask.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Kevin

Re: running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

postite

FDevelop + virtualbox Run fine on my mbp

Re: running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

Kevin Koechley
Thanks Joshua....  I'll give it a try.

What do you think works better parallels or vmWare?  I'm running the latest vmWare at the moment.... but i'm getting a feeling that parallels might work better.  Thoughts?

I'll also look into virtualBox as well....

cheers,

Kevin

On Sep 28, 2011, at 11:30 AM, Joshua Granick wrote:

> Try and run the FlashDevelop Bridge... it should help:
>
> http://www.flashdevelop.org/community/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=7621
>

> On Wed, 28 Sep 2011 11:18:48 -0700, Kevin Koechley <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I am currently trying to figure out if it is possible to use flashDevelop on virtual windows for mac.  It is running, but is just VERY slow.  It takes me about 5 seconds every time flashDevelop uses the code completion - which totally defeats the reason for using code completion in the first place.  I'm also having a problem with the debugger crashing flashDevelop.
>>
>> I'm using vmWare at the moment, and wasn't sure if parallels would work better.  Has anybody had any success?
>>
>> Yes, i know this isn't the ideal solution - but i was just trying to bridge the gap until FDT5 is released with haXe support.  I am hoping I don't have to hard-boot into windows via bootcamp, so i can still use my mac apps as well... but this might be a BIG ask.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> Kevin

Re: running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

Elsass Philippe
This is definitely a problem to run FD in a VM on Mac, especially for haxe development as the compiler is used for completion and it's going to be awfully slow if the files are located on a Mac share.

For what the bridge is worth, it won't work with Parallel unless you're an expert in sockets & port forwarding stuff - I couldn't make it work. It helps in VMWare/VirtualBox when the project is on the Mac share, but it won't bring performance improvements anyway. It's ok in AS3 where the completion can keep things in memory but not in haxe.

If you keep the project on the Windows partition it will suck less but still will always be suboptimal - only switching to Bootcamp is going to work correctly (obviously).

Re: running flashDeveloper on virtual windows for mac?

Kevin Koechley
Thanks, Elsass.

I'll keep everything on windows partition to see if that helps.  If all else fails, i'll go direct to bootcamp....

thanks!

-kevin