pbe object pooling -> hydrax object pooling?

pbe object pooling -> hydrax object pooling?

Raoul Duke
hi,

i'm not yet clued in enough to tell from the source code (will try to
look more later tonight) but googling makes me think pushbutton
intended to support object pooling to avoid gc thrashing, and i wonder
if (a) that happened and (b) if hydrax therefore supports it as well.

if not, does anybody know of a cross-platform (js, flash, ideally also
c) object pooling library that works well in haxe somehow? i am
hacking one up for my raw-js game toy but would love to just use a
more substantially tested thing that is a haxe cross platformer.

thanks.

Re: pbe object pooling -> hydrax object pooling?

Andy Li
Haven't used it, but should be great ;)

http://code.google.com/p/polygonal/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2Flib%2Fde%2Fpolygonal%2Fds%2Fpooling

cheers,
Andy

On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Raoul Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

i'm not yet clued in enough to tell from the source code (will try to
look more later tonight) but googling makes me think pushbutton
intended to support object pooling to avoid gc thrashing, and i wonder
if (a) that happened and (b) if hydrax therefore supports it as well.

if not, does anybody know of a cross-platform (js, flash, ideally also
c) object pooling library that works well in haxe somehow? i am
hacking one up for my raw-js game toy but would love to just use a
more substantially tested thing that is a haxe cross platformer.

thanks.

Re: pbe object pooling -> hydrax object pooling?

Michael Baczynski-2
I recommend
http://www.polygonal.de/doc/ds/types/de/polygonal/ds/pooling/ObjectPool.html
or
http://www.polygonal.de/doc/ds/types/de/polygonal/ds/pooling/DynamicObjectPool.html
;)

On 19.03.2011 13:08, Andy Li wrote:

> Haven't used it, but should be great ;)
>
> http://code.google.com/p/polygonal/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Fsrc%2Flib%2Fde%2Fpolygonal%2Fds%2Fpooling
>
> http://lab.polygonal.de/2008/06/18/using-object-pools/
>
> cheers,
> Andy
>
> On Sat, Mar 19, 2011 at 2:04 AM, Raoul Duke <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     hi,
>
>     i'm not yet clued in enough to tell from the source code (will try to
>     look more later tonight) but googling makes me think pushbutton
>     intended to support object pooling to avoid gc thrashing, and i wonder
>     if (a) that happened and (b) if hydrax therefore supports it as well.
>
>     if not, does anybody know of a cross-platform (js, flash, ideally also
>     c) object pooling library that works well in haxe somehow? i am
>     hacking one up for my raw-js game toy but would love to just use a
>     more substantially tested thing that is a haxe cross platformer.
>
>     thanks.
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: pbe object pooling -> hydrax object pooling?

Dion Whitehead Amago
Hydrax currently has rudimentary object pooling (just stored arrays of objects) that works in flash and js (it should work in cpp, but hydrax currently doesn't work in cpp due to a bug in Std.is).  I
would like to add polygonals object pooling at some point, feel free to add it if you want to.   Look at com.pblabs.engine.pooling.ObjectPoolMgr to get started.

Dion