@nicolas: how stable is physaxe?

Mihail Ivanchev
Hi,

As you know I am playing with NME translated to native code and run on mobile platforms. I successfully made NAPE run with hxcpp and now I am thinking about testing Physaxe. The thing is: how "complete" is the project? Could it be used for production quality software or is it still in the test bed?

Regards,
M. Ivanchev

Re: @nicolas: how stable is physaxe?

Mihail Ivanchev
Hi again, perhaps you could also make FlashDraw work with NME :)

#if (flash || neko)
var g : flash.display.Graphics;
#elseif js
var g : phx.JsCanvas;
#end

could get

#elseif nme
var g: nme.display.Graphics

but I could remap the flash package if you add nme to the || above.

Le 04/10/2011 11:59, Mihail Ivanchev a écrit :

> As you know I am playing with NME translated to native code and run on
> mobile platforms. I successfully made NAPE run with hxcpp and now I am
> thinking about testing Physaxe. The thing is: how "complete" is the
> project? Could it be used for production quality software or is it still
> in the test bed?

Still in test bed. It's working nicely, but missing a lot of features.
And it's actually no longer maintained (lack of time).

If someone motivated+skilled want to take over the project, I'm open.

Re: @nicolas: how stable is physaxe?

François Nicaise
I used it on an openFrameworks project and all the samples worked.
I setup some tests and they worked like I wanted.
But I think the best would be to try it, since its performance will be based on what you want to do. And maybe you will be happy with the results.
It is quite easy to use.

Now, I don't know if many have used it on a commercial production, though (maybe at motion-twin?) and I didn't try other physics frameworks ( http://code.google.com/p/polygonal/  for instance )...

++
François

Le 04/10/2011 12:07, Mihail Ivanchev a écrit :
[...]

singmajesty
I've used old ports of Box2D for previous games, but I've noticed new
developers getting stuck on the library. After considering NAPE, and
seeing this thread on Physaxe, I decided to create my own port of Box2D
2.1a over to Haxe, to get the latest version and also open the door to
platform fixes, performance improvements or anything else that might come
about.

One of the side-effects to this port is the changing in "casing"
convention. This will probably be minor to most people, but it makes me
happy. Here is an example from Actionscript 3:

var bodyDefinition:b2BodyDef = new b2BodyDef ();
bodyDefinition.position.Set (0, 0);

var body:b2Body = World.CreateBody (bodyDefinition);
body.CreateFixture (fixtureDefinition);

Here is what it looks like now with the new convention:

var bodyDefinition = new B2BodyDef ();
bodyDefinition.position.set (0, 0);

var body = World.createBody (bodyDefinition);
body.createFixture (fixtureDefinition);

Changing the package and class names are (obviously) required to port to
Haxe, but I've been very happy with camel-casing the methods instead of
the original uppercase convention.

If you're interested in giving it a try, it's available on haxelib:
"haxelib install box2d"

I also have a (super) simple example project online:
http://www.joshuagranick.com/code/haxe/Simple%20Box2D%20Example.zip

So far its working in Flash and C++, but I'll continue to improve as
necessary over time.