new tutorials

Ian Martins
Here are some new tutorials that I wrote with Ron Wheeler's help.

http://haxe.org/doc/neko/fileio
http://haxe.org/doc/neko/filesystem
http://haxe.org/doc/cross/lambda

feel free to make corrections / improvements.
-Ian

Re: new tutorials

Thomas-8
Thanks for the tutorials, but your coding style is too procedural.

Re: new tutorials

Ian Martins
Thomas wrote:
> Thanks for the tutorials, but your coding style is too procedural.

I wanted the tutorials to be as simple as possible.  using multiple
classes and files would not have made it easier to learn how to open a
file or filter a list.  but please feel free to change the tutorials if
you disagree.

Re: new tutorials

Ron Wheeler
Ian Martins wrote:

> Thomas wrote:
>> Thanks for the tutorials, but your coding style is too procedural.
>>
> I wanted the tutorials to be as simple as possible.  using multiple
> classes and files would not have made it easier to learn how to open a
> file or filter a list.  but please feel free to change the tutorials
> if you disagree.

The goal of the tutorials is to show the usage of the methods of the
libraries. Keeping them simple is important.
For those people, like Thomas, who feel that more advance coding styles
can be used, are invited to write other tutorials that show how the
advanced features of haXe/Neko can be used to build more object oriented
routines.

I think that tutorials on implementing common design patterns in haxe,
use of interfaces, using arrays of objects rather than multi-dimensional
arrays and other advanced tutorials would be very welcome and very helpful.

Ron

Re: new tutorials

Tony Polinelli
I agree - they are quite concise which is good. Also, any tutorials are great to have! so good work

Tony Polinelli
http://www.touchmypixel.com

On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ian Martins wrote:
Thomas wrote:
[...]

Justin Donaldson
I also agree, I kept meaning to try to write something for Lambda methods, but you did a very good job imho.  Now maybe I can put something down for advanced methods/issues... as soon as I get this dissertation proposal out of the way :/

Best,
-Justin

Ian Martins wrote:
Thomas wrote:
[...]

PhD Candidate, Informatics
Indiana University
http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd

Re: new tutorials

Ron Wheeler
Just a note for those who are interested in the tutorials.
I have been acting as a volunteer editor to help with the textual part
of the tutorial. I do not edit the code.

If you write a tutorial and want me to look over it, send me the link.

If you are thinking about writing a tutorial and English is not your
first language, give it a shot. I will try to help you with the wording
so that it comes out looking professional in English.

If you would be interested in participating on an "editorial committee"
to help edit tutorials and other documentation and to provide guidance
for tutorial writers, let me know.

Ron

Justin Donaldson wrote:

> I also agree, I kept meaning to try to write something for Lambda
> methods, but you did a very good job imho.  Now maybe I can put
> something down for advanced methods/issues... as soon as I get this
> dissertation proposal out of the way :/
>
> Best,
> -Justin
>
> On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM, Tony Polinelli
>
>     I agree - they are quite concise which is good. Also, any
>     tutorials are great to have! so good work
>

>     Tony Polinelli
>     http://www.touchmypixel.com
>

>     On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 11:01 AM, Ron Wheeler
>     <[hidden email]
>     <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>         Ian Martins wrote:
>
>             Thomas wrote:
>
>                 Thanks for the tutorials, but your coding style is too
>                 procedural.
>

>             I wanted the tutorials to be as simple as possible.  using
>             multiple classes and files would not have made it easier
>             to learn how to open a file or filter a list.  but please
>             feel free to change the tutorials if you disagree.
>

>         The goal of the tutorials is to show the usage of the methods
>         of the libraries. Keeping them simple is important.
>         For those people, like Thomas, who feel that more advance
>         coding styles can be used, are invited to write other
>         tutorials that show how the advanced features of haXe/Neko can
>         be used to build more object oriented routines.
>
>         I think that tutorials on implementing common design patterns
>         in haxe, use of interfaces, using arrays of objects rather
>         than multi-dimensional arrays and other advanced tutorials
>         would be very welcome and very helpful.
>

>         Ron
>

>         --
>         haXe - an open source web programming language
>         http://haxe.org
>

>     --
>     http://haxe.org
>

> --
> Justin Donaldson
> PhD Candidate, Informatics
> Indiana University
> http://www.scwn.net
> aim: iujjd

Re: new tutorials

Martijn Loots
Just translated "The Great Lambda" to dutch... ;-)

--
-Martijn    @..@    ( Martijn Loots       -  Hengelo  [NL] )
-          (`--')   ( martijn<@>cosix.com -  www.cosix.com )

Re: new tutorials

Ron Wheeler
Martijn Loots wrote:
> Just translated "The Great Lambda" to dutch... ;-)

How was the English version as a starting point? Did anything come up in
the translation that was difficult to translate?

Do we have a Dutch reviewer to check the Dutch translation?

Ron

Re: new tutorials

Jan_Flanders

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:

Do we have a Dutch reviewer to check the Dutch translation?

Ron

Yes, you do. :)
I have reviewed some of the Dutch translations in the past (as it was very much needed) but with Martijn as a translator there won't be much work for me. Very well translated Martijn, good job!

Cheers,
Jan

Re: new tutorials

Martijn Loots
On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, ad nez wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>

>> Do we have a Dutch reviewer to check the Dutch translation?
>>
>> Ron
>

> Yes, you do. :)
> I have reviewed some of the Dutch translations in the past (as it was very
> much needed) but with Martijn as a translator there won't be much work for
> me. Very well translated Martijn, good job!
>
> Cheers,
> Jan

Sorry, bit late with my reaction... Thanks for the compliment
Jan. It might stimulate me to do some more though.. :-/

On Ron's remarks:
> How was the English version as a starting point?

Very readable and with a logical structure: perfect for a
translator IMHO.

> Did anything come up in the translation that was difficult to translate?

Not as such, but I took the liberty to beautify it a little
bit (bullet list instead of just lines with dashes) and it
struck me that most methods were called functions: a bit of
a gray area though. The dutch translation uses methods mostly
where the original speaks of functions; I thought it was better,
but I'll correct that if I was wrong on that.

I took the translation job on me as a bit of a learning
experience. I'll sure use The Great Lambda more often in the
future..!

Grtz,

Martijn Loots wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, ad nez wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Ron Wheeler
>> <[hidden email]
>> Did anything come up in the translation that was difficult to translate?
>>
> Not as such, but I took the liberty to beautify it a little
> bit (bullet list instead of just lines with dashes) and it
> struck me that most methods were called functions: a bit of
> a gray area though. The dutch translation uses methods mostly
> where the original speaks of functions; I thought it was better,
> but I'll correct that if I was wrong on that.
I tend to refer to static methods as functions.  I'm not sure if that's
improper.

> I took the translation job on me as a bit of a learning
> experience. I'll sure use The Great Lambda more often in the
> future..!
excellent.

Re: new tutorials

Ron Wheeler
ad nez wrote:

> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Ron Wheeler
> <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>

>     Do we have a Dutch reviewer to check the Dutch translation?
>
>     Ron
>

> Yes, you do. :)
> I have reviewed some of the Dutch translations in the past (as it was
> very much needed) but with Martijn as a translator there won't be much
> work for me. Very well translated Martijn, good job!
>
> Cheers,
> Jan

Great.

Thanks to everyone

Ron

Re: new tutorials

Ron Wheeler
Martijn Loots wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Apr 2009, ad nez wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 1:12 AM, Ron Wheeler
>> <[hidden email]
>>> wrote:
>>

>>> Do we have a Dutch reviewer to check the Dutch translation?
>>>
>>> Ron
>>

>> Yes, you do. :)
>> I have reviewed some of the Dutch translations in the past (as it was
>> very
>> much needed) but with Martijn as a translator there won't be much
>> work for
>> me. Very well translated Martijn, good job!
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Jan
>>
> Sorry, bit late with my reaction... Thanks for the compliment
> Jan. It might stimulate me to do some more though.. :-/
>
> On Ron's remarks:
>> How was the English version as a starting point?
>>
> Very readable and with a logical structure: perfect for a
> translator IMHO.
>
>> Did anything come up in the translation that was difficult to translate?
>>
> Not as such, but I took the liberty to beautify it a little
> bit (bullet list instead of just lines with dashes) and it
> struck me that most methods were called functions: a bit of
> a gray area though. The dutch translation uses methods mostly
> where the original speaks of functions; I thought it was better,
> but I'll correct that if I was wrong on that.
I noticed that as well but since the actual declaration of a method uses
"function" , I did not raise the issue.
As a real old-timer, I spent most of my coding experience before
"methods" were invented so I am at home with both words.
Unless there is a consensus among the documentation writer to favour 1
term, I would suggest that authors pick one and stick to one term or the
other within one article.

If this confuses the reader, they will have a lot more trouble than that :-)

Ron

> I took the translation job on me as a bit of a learning
> experience. I'll sure use The Great Lambda more often in the
> future..!
>
> Grtz,

Re: new tutorials

Benjamin Dasnois
Anyway, the definition of methods and functions tends to vary from one
language to another... So unless Nicolas wrote something in the
language spec or there is a technical reason to differenciate those do
not mind about that. I plan to translate your tutorials to French by
the way.

--
DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com