neko.FileSystem.rename fails when renaming directory to lower case on windows.

neko.FileSystem.rename fails when renaming directory to lower case on windows.

Jim Hayes

Apologies if this would be better placed in a neko mailing list(?).

Anyway,

neko.FileSystem.rename (“C:\MixedCaseDirectory”,”C:\mixedcasedirectory”) fails on windows XP.

I’m not sure if it’s actually a bug or just an unavoidable consequence of window’s awful case handling of filenames.

I have an easy workaround  of renaming to a different name and then renaming back again (but lowercased) so I’m good to go for what I need to do,

Just thought I’d report it to you in case it’s unintentional, Nicolas.

Re: neko.FileSystem.rename fails when renaming directory to lower case on windows.

Juan Delgado
I'd say that's Windows to blame. Just get out of Neko and try to do it
in Windows Explorer, I don't think it works either.

On Fri, Jan 30, 2009 at 3:50 PM, Jim Hayes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Apologies if this would be better placed in a neko mailing list(?).
>

> Anyway,
>

> neko.FileSystem.rename ("C:\MixedCaseDirectory","C:\mixedcasedirectory")
> fails on windows XP.
>

> I'm not sure if it's actually a bug or just an unavoidable consequence of
> window's awful case handling of filenames.
>

> I have an easy workaround  of renaming to a different name and then renaming
> back again (but lowercased) so I'm good to go for what I need to do,
>
> Just thought I'd report it to you in case it's unintentional, Nicolas.

> This communication is from Primal Pictures Ltd., a company registered in
> England and Wales with registration No. 02622298 and registered office: 4th
> Floor, Tennyson House, 159-165 Great Portland Street, London, W1W 5PA, UK.
> VAT registration No. 648874577.
>
> This e-mail is confidential and may be privileged. It may be read, copied
> and used only by the intended recipient. If you have received it in error,
> please contact the sender immediately by return e-mail or by telephoning
> +44(0)20 7637 1010. Please then delete the e-mail and do not disclose its
> contents to any person.
> This email has been scanned for Primal Pictures by the MessageLabs Email
> Security System.

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: neko.FileSystem.rename fails when renaming directory to lower case on windows.

Ian Martins
Jim Hayes wrote:

> Apologies if this would be better placed in a neko mailing list(?).
>
> Anyway,
>
> neko.FileSystem.rename
> (“C:\MixedCaseDirectory”,”C:\mixedcasedirectory”) fails on windows XP.
>
> I’m not sure if it’s actually a bug or just an unavoidable consequence
> of window’s awful case handling of filenames.
>
> I have an easy workaround of renaming to a different name and then
> renaming back again (but lowercased) so I’m good to go for what I need
> to do,
>
> Just thought I’d report it to you in case it’s unintentional, Nicolas.

maybe that's because xp recognizes that 'mixedcasedirectory' is a
fallacy. :)

I've noticed that this doesn't work from a command prompt either.

mv MixedCaseDir/ mixedcasedir/

results in

mv: cannot move 'MixedCaseDir' to 'mixedcasedir/MixedCaseDir'

guess that makes sense in a windows kinda way.