malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer

malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer

Ole Trenner
Hi everyone,

I just wanted to download the current installer of haXe for windows when
the file set off an alert of my virus scanner (GData AVK). It says the
file contains "Trojan horse Downloader.Agent2.MD". I actually don't
believe that you offer infected files for download, but just for
reassuring me and to ease the installation for other users I'd ask you
to check what's going on there.

Thanks for your support -
Ole.

P.S.: Usually I would use my first posting on a new list to express my
appreciation for the software and the people who create and support it.
Since I haven't been able to download and try it (due to the virus
warning) I have to postpone this to another mail.
Still I want to thank you for putting up such an effort to run this
absolutely interesting and promising project!

--
Ole Trenner
<[hidden email]>

RE: malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer

Elliott Carlson
[haXe] malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer
I just attempted to download and received the same warning from AVG using today's virus database update...

RE: malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer

Florian Brede
Datei: hxinst-win.exe

A-Squared Keine Viren gefunden
AntiVir Keine Viren gefunden
ArcaVir Keine Viren gefunden
Avast Keine Viren gefunden
AVG Antivirus Downloader.Agent2.MD gefunden
BitDefender Keine Viren gefunden
ClamAV Keine Viren gefunden
CPsecure Troj.Downloader.W32.Agent.bkcb gefunden
Dr.Web Keine Viren gefunden
F-Prot Antivirus Keine Viren gefunden
F-Secure Anti-Virus Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bkcb gefunden
Ikarus Trojan-Dropper.Agent gefunden
Kaspersky Anti-Virus Trojan-Downloader.Win32.Agent.bkcb gefunden
NOD32 Keine Viren gefunden
Norman Virus Control Keine Viren gefunden
Panda Antivirus Keine Viren gefunden
Quick Heal Keine Viren gefunden
Sophos Antivirus Keine Viren gefunden
VirusBuster Keine Viren gefunden
VBA32 Keine Viren gefunden

Regards,
Florian Brede

> Hi everyone,
>
> I just wanted to download the current installer of haXe for windows when
> the file set off an alert of my virus scanner (GData AVK). It says the
> file contains "Trojan horse Downloader.Agent2.MD". I actually don't
> believe that you offer infected files for download, but just for
> reassuring me and to ease the installation for other users I'd ask you
> to check what's going on there.
>

> --
> Ole Trenner
> <[hidden email]>

Promo machen für deine Party. Im neuen Live Messenger. Hier kostenlos downloaden!

Re: malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer

Chris Hecker

Yep:

C:\apps\haxe>scan /all hxinst-win.exe.virus.exe
McAfee VirusScan for Win32 v5.30.0
Copyright (c) 1992-2008 McAfee, Inc. All rights reserved.
(408) 988-3832  LICENSED COPY - Jun 16 2008

Scan engine v5.3.00 for Win32.
Virus data file v4100 created Mar 21 2009
Scanning for 520516 viruses, trojans and variants.

Scanning C: [IBM_PRELOAD]
Scanning C:\apps\haxe\HXINST-WIN.EXE.VIRUS.EXE
C:\apps\haxe\hxinst-win.exe.virus.exe ... Found the Generic Downloader.x
trojan !!!

Summary report on C:\apps\haxe\HXINST-WIN.EXE.VIRUS.EXE
File(s)
         Total files: ...........       1
         Clean: .................       0
         Possibly Infected: .....       1

Time: 00:00.00

Ole Trenner a écrit :
> Hi everyone,
>
> I just wanted to download the current installer of haXe for windows when
> the file set off an alert of my virus scanner (GData AVK). It says the
> file contains "Trojan horse Downloader.Agent2.MD". I actually don't
> believe that you offer infected files for download, but just for
> reassuring me and to ease the installation for other users I'd ask you
> to check what's going on there.

The installer has not be modified recently and this is very unlikely
that the server has been hacked. I guess this is then a false positive,
as it happens sometimes since AV are using some signatures to check if a
virus is present or not. Could you report it to the AV maker so it makes
an exception of haxe installer ? That's really a bother...

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Ole Trenner a écrit :
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> I just wanted to download the current installer of haXe for windows when
>> the file set off an alert of my virus scanner (GData AVK). It says the
>> file contains "Trojan horse Downloader.Agent2.MD". I actually don't
>> believe that you offer infected files for download, but just for
>> reassuring me and to ease the installation for other users I'd ask you
>> to check what's going on there.
>
> The installer has not be modified recently and this is very unlikely
> that the server has been hacked. I guess this is then a false positive,
> as it happens sometimes since AV are using some signatures to check if a
> virus is present or not. Could you report it to the AV maker so it makes
> an exception of haxe installer ? That's really a bother...

I contacted GData, they advised me to upgrade to a newer version of
their software (from AVK 2007 to AVK 2010) and indeed that fixed the
false positive detection (Although even before I was using the most
recent virus signature files. Weird.).
So that issue is fixed on my side, thanks for your help.

Looking forward to trying out haXe after all :)
Cheers,
Ole.

--
Ole Trenner
<[hidden email]>

RE: malware/virus warning in haXe windows installer

Cantin Fabrice
Same problem with Norton Antivirus Gaming Edition that is out since end of 2008.

I had to disable it for the install.

Fabrice