js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Raoul Duke
hi,

so my js version runs ok, without slow-down.

when i try cpp-nme or flash it quickly grinds to a halt. i'm being bad
and trying to use flash as a raw buffer rather than as a
full-graphics-object-scene-graphy thing! hoping that if i can profile
the nme-cpp one in some detail i could figure out how i'm leaking or
whatever.

JS: monad.com/jces/tmp/pn0gstr0m/HAXE/index.html
Flash: monad.com/jces/tmp/pn0gstr0m/HAXE/indexFlash.html

-- living and hopefully some day learning?

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
One thing to do if is set all your sprites as .bitmapCache = true (as long as they don't scale or rotate).

Shouldn't slow down that fast though! From the memory usage it looks like you're creating the whole scene each frame or something though ?!

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 9:33 AM, Raoul Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:
hi,

so my js version runs ok, without slow-down.

when i try cpp-nme or flash it quickly grinds to a halt. i'm being bad
and trying to use flash as a raw buffer rather than as a
full-graphics-object-scene-graphy thing! hoping that if i can profile
the nme-cpp one in some detail i could figure out how i'm leaking or
whatever.

JS: monad.com/jces/tmp/pn0gstr0m/HAXE/index.html
Flash: monad.com/jces/tmp/pn0gstr0m/HAXE/indexFlash.html

-- living and hopefully some day learning?

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Raoul Duke
hi,

On Fri, Apr 29, 2011 at 5:08 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> One thing to do if is set all your sprites as .bitmapCache = true (as long
> as they don't scale or rotate).
> Shouldn't slow down that fast though! From the memory usage it looks like
> you're creating the whole scene each frame or something though ?!

> Tony Polinelli
> so your drawing into 1 bitmapData each frame ?

What I'm trying to do -- what I thought I had the code doing -- was to
have a single Sprite that is the drawing surface for the game. I use
the Graphics of that Sprite to do all the drawing via move to, line
to, setfill, etc. I do not create any other Sprites. There should be
only one created at the start, that's it. But I guess I screwed
something up somewhere. Or I am totally not understanding something.
Or both.

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Tony Polinelli
graphics.moveTo etc are very lite, and so arnt the issue. You obviously call graphics.clear() at the start of each frame to clear the previous.

The problem is exponential it appears, so you must have an array that you are iterating, or something similar, that you are pushing into each frame - but not clearing. Its impossible to know without the code, but so you know, drawing each frame with graphics functions is not the issue.

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 3:22 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> The problem is exponential it appears, so you must have an array that you
> are iterating, or something similar, that you are pushing into each frame -
> but not clearing. Its impossible to know without the code, but so you know,
> drawing each frame with graphics functions is not the issue.

many thanks for the thought! trying to find more time to poke around &
experiment with my bad code :-). will post if/when i suss it out.

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Tony Polinelli
i was wondering - you are definately using clear() - not just drawing a rectangle over the top each frame?

On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
> i was wondering - you are definately using clear() - not just drawing a
> rectangle over the top each frame?

the latter, not the former. so that could be it. (i thought i had
hacked 01-Sample to do a similar test, with no clear() in there
either, and it did not get the slow-down, so i wouldn't have thought
about this being the issue :-)

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Yeah, good idea Tony. Flash and Canvas treat drawing quite differently
I think. Flash will keep everything vector unless you blit it to a
bitmap. I think canvas does this automatically at some point- maybe?

On Sunday, May 1, 2011, Raoul Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:

> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i was wondering - you are definately using clear() - not just drawing a
>> rectangle over the top each frame?
>
> the latter, not the former. so that could be it. (i thought i had
> hacked 01-Sample to do a similar test, with no clear() in there
> either, and it did not get the slow-down, so i wouldn't have thought
> about this being the issue :-)

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

jlm@justinfront.net
i did some spritesheet experiments with jeash, seem to be fairly good,
and helped find some bugs for Niel to fix. Not sure I can post it
online unless I create my own graphics, but yer Jeash is looking
powerful.  I would like to see a library that makes flash easier and
reduces the overhead on jeash, ( for instance we could scrap
addEventListener ) as you can't really currently code the same for
jeash as flash due to the extreme lack of speed with jeash and maybe
if we made a library inbetween we could code more the same for both
and remove some aspects of flash that are anoying like the way loaders
are setup and hoops video setup needs. In jeash using sprites
movieClips uses separate canvas so is very heavy.  For my render I
just chopped up a sprite sheet made from a swf using SWFSheet into
bitmapData's and then every frame set the correct one, I had some
angle code going on, as i had a 200 frame animation which effectively
had all angles of a walk cycle, and on rollover I would toggle between
bitmapdata arrays.  But when you consider real use - javascript is so
much slower than flash that it really is hard to make games with it
and usual browser inconsistancy problems... even if it is just that
some render much faster.  But the little I have tried of jeash it's
impressive, the question is alway the overhead of emulating flash and
the fact that it will never be quite like flash... maybe can be better
framework.

But good work Tony.   The frames per sec code would be useful
especially if it was added as standard part of jeash like the 3d
engines all do then we can compare better.

On 1 May 2011, at 23:10, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:

> Yeah, good idea Tony. Flash and Canvas treat drawing quite differently
> I think. Flash will keep everything vector unless you blit it to a
> bitmap. I think canvas does this automatically at some point- maybe?
>
> On Sunday, May 1, 2011, Raoul Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>> i was wondering - you are definately using clear() - not just
>>> drawing a
>>> rectangle over the top each frame?
>>
>> the latter, not the former. so that could be it. (i thought i had
>> hacked 01-Sample to do a similar test, with no clear() in there
>> either, and it did not get the slow-down, so i wouldn't have thought
>> about this being the issue :-)

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Tony Polinelli
(i think this post is ment for the jeash thread - but ill reply here)

I see your points, but like the idea of jeash replication the flash api - as it is the only api we have which might allow for crossplatform consistency, and also is a reason for people to adopt the project (familiarity) - so hopefully the work keeps on track this way. A similar setup to the old  nme1 and neash, might serve as the layer that you want - but would require refactoring.

Also, looking at the performance of Firefox 4 with the box2d test, hitting 50 fps, with fully unoptimized code (mine & jeash) isnt a terrible task, so i'd hope that as javascript engines mature, they could take care of a lot of performance issues - we are in circa flash 6 territory here i feel ;P

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 7:51 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321

Re: js vs. nme/flash slow-down

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I'm not sure if you've looked at http://easeljs.com/ by Grant Skinner yet? He's pretty much building a nice to use JS lib for people who do Flash like things, but for Canvas. Might be worth seeing how he's been doing things.

Could also be useful to make an EaselJS loader, or re-factor their Flash exporter, for easy / fast asset creation from Flash IDE.

On Mon, May 2, 2011 at 10:02 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

hey it helped. thanks!

On Sun, May 1, 2011 at 9:06 AM, Raoul Duke <[hidden email]> wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 30, 2011 at 6:18 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> i was wondering - you are definately using clear() - not just drawing a
>> rectangle over the top each frame?
>
> the latter, not the former. so that could be it. (i thought i had
> hacked 01-Sample to do a similar test, with no clear() in there
> either, and it did not get the slow-down, so i wouldn't have thought
> about this being the issue :-)

EaselJS example with haXe

Confidant
I used EaselJS in combination with a Haxe application successfully at http://thinksask.com/indexHTML5.html

It wasn't really an integration per se; my application inserted the required HTML and then called the EaselJS setup function which was embedded in the page.

I would much prefer to have a good haxe external for EaselJS, or a good spritesheet animation tool for Jeash, but EaselJS & Zoe really saved the project.

Re: EaselJS example with haXe

Julien CASTETS

Fyi it crashed on my android phone
Will test later on my computer ;-)

Le 9 mai 2011 17:42, "confidant" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> I used EaselJS in combination with a Haxe application successfully at
> http://thinksask.com/indexHTML5.html
>
> It wasn't really an integration per se; my application inserted the required
> HTML and then called the EaselJS setup function which was embedded in the
> page.
>
> I would much prefer to have a good haxe external for EaselJS, or a good
> spritesheet animation tool for Jeash, but EaselJS & Zoe really saved the
> project.

Re: EaselJS example with haXe

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I think EaselJS with externs is a good stop-gap until leash is
production ready ... ?