installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
I'm having trouble trying to use mod_neko.  I've followed the advice
from the following links:

http://nekovm.org/doc/mod_neko
http://old.haxe.org/tutos/mod_neko/ubuntu
http://markmail.org/message/i7trznue53wdm4mk

when I try to load the site the browser just says "Waiting for
localhost..." in the status bar and never returns.  Apache doesn't give
any error message or even add the access to the log.

anyone seen that before?  are there other docs for mod_neko?

thanks,
Ian

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Philipp Klose-2

Which version of Apache do you use?
I am using Apache 2 and I never trouble installing mod_neko. I attached
the 2 config files I am using for my systems. (Place them in the
mod-available folder activate the module, restart Apache.) They do not
require any changes to other config files.

neko.load (53 bytes) Download Attachment
neko.conf (104 bytes) Download Attachment

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
philip, thanks for responding.

I am using apache2.  I used your files but got the same result.

the mod-neko2.ndll is in the right place.  if I put an index.html in the
directory, apache serves it, so I believe the site configuration is
correct.  If I remove the neko module, apache serves the index.n file,
so I believe the module is being loaded.  There's no error message and
no log entries even though loglevel is set to debug.  index.n is just a
hello world, so I don't think the problem is in the code.

-Ian

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:09:10 +0200
> From: Philipp Klose<[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [haXe] installing mod-neko for apache
> To: The haXe compiler list<[hidden email]>
>

> Which version of Apache do you use?
> I am using Apache 2 and I never trouble installing mod_neko. I attached
> the 2 config files I am using for my systems. (Place them in the
> mod-available folder activate the module, restart Apache.) They do not
> require any changes to other config files.
>
> On 26.07.2010 06:31, ian wrote:
>
>> I'm having trouble trying to use mod_neko.  I've followed the advice
>> from the following links:
>>
>> http://nekovm.org/doc/mod_neko
>> http://old.haxe.org/tutos/mod_neko/ubuntu
>> http://markmail.org/message/i7trznue53wdm4mk
>>
>> when I try to load the site the browser just says "Waiting for
>> localhost..." in the status bar and never returns.  Apache doesn't
>> give any error message or even add the access to the log.
>>
>> anyone seen that before?  are there other docs for mod_neko?
>>
>> thanks,
>> Ian
>>

> -------------- next part --------------
> LoadModule neko_module /usr/lib/neko/mod_neko2.ndll
> -------------- next part --------------
> <IfModule mod_neko.c>
>          AddHandler neko-handler .n
>          DirectoryIndex index.n
> </IfModule>

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Philipp Klose-2
That sound like neko is not correctly installed on you server.
Are you sure that the path is correct to the mod_neko2.ndll? Are you
sure that Apache has the filesystem rights to start neko?

On 26.07.2010 15:37, ian wrote:

> philip, thanks for responding.
>
> I am using apache2.  I used your files but got the same result.
>
> the mod-neko2.ndll is in the right place.  if I put an index.html in
> the directory, apache serves it, so I believe the site configuration
> is correct.  If I remove the neko module, apache serves the index.n
> file, so I believe the module is being loaded.  There's no error
> message and no log entries even though loglevel is set to debug.
> index.n is just a hello world, so I don't think the problem is in the
> code.
>
> -Ian
>
>> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:09:10 +0200
>> From: Philipp Klose<[hidden email]>
>> Subject: Re: [haXe] installing mod-neko for apache
>> To: The haXe compiler list<[hidden email]>
>>

>> Which version of Apache do you use?
>> I am using Apache 2 and I never trouble installing mod_neko. I attached
>> the 2 config files I am using for my systems. (Place them in the
>> mod-available folder activate the module, restart Apache.) They do not
>> require any changes to other config files.
>>
>> On 26.07.2010 06:31, ian wrote:
>>> I'm having trouble trying to use mod_neko.  I've followed the advice
>>> from the following links:
>>>
>>> http://nekovm.org/doc/mod_neko
>>> http://old.haxe.org/tutos/mod_neko/ubuntu
>>> http://markmail.org/message/i7trznue53wdm4mk
>>>
>>> when I try to load the site the browser just says "Waiting for
>>> localhost..." in the status bar and never returns.  Apache doesn't
>>> give any error message or even add the access to the log.
>>>
>>> anyone seen that before?  are there other docs for mod_neko?
>>>
>>> thanks,
>>> Ian
>>>
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> LoadModule neko_module /usr/lib/neko/mod_neko2.ndll
>> -------------- next part --------------
>> <IfModule mod_neko.c>
>>          AddHandler neko-handler .n
>>          DirectoryIndex index.n
>> </IfModule>

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ron Wheeler
  Just to give you some encouragement.
mod-neko runs very well under Centos5 once it is set up correctly.
The setup is not overly trickly but there are some little gotchas that
can slow you down a lot.
You need to follow the instructions that fit your OS most closely and
pay attention to environment variables and file protection.

http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=8  might help

Ron

On 26/07/2010 10:04 AM, Philipp Klose wrote:

> That sound like neko is not correctly installed on you server.
> Are you sure that the path is correct to the mod_neko2.ndll? Are you
> sure that Apache has the filesystem rights to start neko?
>
> On 26.07.2010 15:37, ian wrote:
>> philip, thanks for responding.
>>
>> I am using apache2.  I used your files but got the same result.
>>
>> the mod-neko2.ndll is in the right place.  if I put an index.html in
>> the directory, apache serves it, so I believe the site configuration
>> is correct.  If I remove the neko module, apache serves the index.n
>> file, so I believe the module is being loaded.  There's no error
>> message and no log entries even though loglevel is set to debug.
>> index.n is just a hello world, so I don't think the problem is in the
>> code.
>>
>> -Ian
>>
>>> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:09:10 +0200
>>> From: Philipp Klose<[hidden email]>
>>> Subject: Re: [haXe] installing mod-neko for apache
>>> To: The haXe compiler list<[hidden email]>
>>>

>>> Which version of Apache do you use?
>>> I am using Apache 2 and I never trouble installing mod_neko. I attached
>>> the 2 config files I am using for my systems. (Place them in the
>>> mod-available folder activate the module, restart Apache.) They do not
>>> require any changes to other config files.

>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> LoadModule neko_module /usr/lib/neko/mod_neko2.ndll
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> <IfModule mod_neko.c>
>>>          AddHandler neko-handler .n
>>>          DirectoryIndex index.n
>>> </IfModule>

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Randy Stauner
try the -M switch to your apache binary (either httpd or maybe apache2) to make sure that it is loading mod_neko...

$ env APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data apache2 -M
apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
Loaded Modules:
 core_module (static)
 mpm_prefork_module (static)
 http_module (static)
 so_module (static)
 negotiation_module (shared)
 neko_module (shared)
 php5_module (shared)
Syntax OK

Note that on my system (ubuntu 10.04 with APT'd apache2) I had to specify the env vars for User and Group on the command line because apparently -M doesn't include the /etc/apache2/envvars file first.

If you took Philip's advice for placing those neko confs in mods-available, make sure they are linked into mods-enabled.

On 26.07.2010 15:37, ian wrote:
philip, thanks for responding.

I am using apache2.  I used your files but got the same result.

the mod-neko2.ndll is in the right place.  if I put an index.html in the directory, apache serves it, so I believe the site configuration is correct.  If I remove the neko module, apache serves the index.n file, so I believe the module is being loaded.  There's no error message and no log entries even though loglevel is set to debug.  index.n is just a hello world, so I don't think the problem is in the code.

-Ian

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
It's on an ubuntu machine.  I tried on another ubuntu machine and got
the same result.  neko was installed by the haxe installer.

the path to mod_neko2.ndll is correct (/usr/lib/neko).  If I misspell
mod_neko2.ndll in the LoadModule directive, apache gives an error on
startup.

all of the ndll's in /usr/lib/neko are world readable, and the directory
has world read and execute.  I can run the index.n from a user account
using the neko executable in that same directory.  ldconfig finds
libneko.so.

Is there something else I can check to see if neko is correctly
installed?

Thanks,
Ian

> That sound like neko is not correctly installed on you server.
> Are you sure that the path is correct to the mod_neko2.ndll? Are you
> sure that Apache has the filesystem rights to start neko?

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
I ran the same command and got the same output.  neko_module was
included in the list.
does the neko output have to send an eof or something at the end?  or
can it just exit?

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:45:40 -0700
> From: Randy Stauner <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [haXe] installing mod-neko for apache
>
> try the -M switch to your apache binary (either httpd or maybe apache2)
> to make sure that it is loading mod_neko...
>
> $ env APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data apache2 -M
> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
> name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
> Loaded Modules:
>  core_module (static)
>  mpm_prefork_module (static)
>  http_module (static)
>  so_module (static)
>  negotiation_module (shared)
> * neko_module (shared)*
>  php5_module (shared)
> Syntax OK
>
> Note that on my system (ubuntu 10.04 with APT'd apache2) I had to specify
> the env vars for User and Group on the command line because apparently -M
> doesn't include the /etc/apache2/envvars file first.
>
> If you took Philip's advice for placing those neko confs in
> mods-available,
> make sure they are linked into mods-enabled.
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Ron Wheeler
> <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> >  Just to give you some encouragement.
> > mod-neko runs very well under Centos5 once it is set up correctly.
> > The setup is not overly trickly but there are some little gotchas that can
> > slow you down a lot.
> > You need to follow the instructions that fit your OS most closely and pay
> > attention to environment variables and file protection.
> >
> > http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=8  might help
> >
> > Ron

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian, try to compile and install neko from sources. I've had trouble also by using the haxe installer on ubuntu, but everything worked perfect with compiling by its sources!!!

2010/7/26 Ian Martins <[hidden email]>
It's on an ubuntu machine.  I tried on another ubuntu machine and got
the same result.  neko was installed by the haxe installer.

the path to mod_neko2.ndll is correct (/usr/lib/neko).  If I misspell
mod_neko2.ndll in the LoadModule directive, apache gives an error on
startup.

all of the ndll's in /usr/lib/neko are world readable, and the directory
has world read and execute.  I can run the index.n from a user account
using the neko executable in that same directory.  ldconfig finds
libneko.so.

Is there something else I can check to see if neko is correctly
installed?

Thanks,
Ian

> That sound like neko is not correctly installed on you server.
> Are you sure that the path is correct to the mod_neko2.ndll? Are you
> sure that Apache has the filesystem rights to start neko?

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Randy Stauner
It can simply exit... a lone print call was enough.
I assume you have tested your .n file with neko to make sure that it works on the command line.
Even an error message ("Builtin not found") quickly returns a 200 response for me.

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 9:02 AM, Ian Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
I ran the same command and got the same output.  neko_module was
included in the list.
does the neko output have to send an eof or something at the end?  or
can it just exit?

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 08:45:40 -0700
> From: Randy Stauner <[hidden email]>
> Subject: Re: [haXe] installing mod-neko for apache
>
> try the -M switch to your apache binary (either httpd or maybe apache2)
> to make sure that it is loading mod_neko...
>
> $ env APACHE_RUN_USER=www-data APACHE_RUN_GROUP=www-data apache2 -M
> apache2: Could not reliably determine the server's fully qualified domain
> name, using 127.0.0.1 for ServerName
> Loaded Modules:
>  core_module (static)
>  mpm_prefork_module (static)
>  http_module (static)
>  so_module (static)
>  negotiation_module (shared)
> * neko_module (shared)*
>  php5_module (shared)
> Syntax OK
>
> Note that on my system (ubuntu 10.04 with APT'd apache2) I had to specify
> the env vars for User and Group on the command line because apparently -M
> doesn't include the /etc/apache2/envvars file first.
>
> If you took Philip's advice for placing those neko confs in
> mods-available,
> make sure they are linked into mods-enabled.
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 7:49 AM, Ron Wheeler
> <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
> >  Just to give you some encouragement.
> > mod-neko runs very well under Centos5 once it is set up correctly.
> > The setup is not overly trickly but there are some little gotchas that can
> > slow you down a lot.
> > You need to follow the instructions that fit your OS most closely and pay
> > attention to environment variables and file protection.
> >
> > http://blog.artifact-software.com/tech/?p=8  might help
> >
> > Ron

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
I compiled neko but got the same result.  the new binaries were a bit
smaller and all of the ndlls and the libneko.so had their execute bits
turned on.  running the index.n file from the new neko binary worked,
but trying to load it from a browser hangs.

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:05:23 -0300
> From: Cau? Waneck <[hidden email]>
>
> Ian, try to compile and install neko from sources. I've had trouble also
> by
> using the haxe installer on ubuntu, but everything worked perfect with
> compiling by its sources!!!
>
> 2010/7/26 Ian Martins <[hidden email]>
>
> > It's on an ubuntu machine.  I tried on another ubuntu machine and got
> > the same result.  neko was installed by the haxe installer.
> >
> > the path to mod_neko2.ndll is correct (/usr/lib/neko).  If I misspell
> > mod_neko2.ndll in the LoadModule directive, apache gives an error on
> > startup.
> >
> > all of the ndll's in /usr/lib/neko are world readable, and the directory
> > has world read and execute.  I can run the index.n from a user account
> > using the neko executable in that same directory.  ldconfig finds
> > libneko.so.
> >
> > Is there something else I can check to see if neko is correctly
> > installed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian
> >
> > > That sound like neko is not correctly installed on you server.
> > > Are you sure that the path is correct to the mod_neko2.ndll? Are you
> > > sure that Apache has the filesystem rights to start neko?

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Randy Stauner
try something like this:

do you get Response headers?  is there anything useful in the output?

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Ian Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
I compiled neko but got the same result.  the new binaries were a bit
smaller and all of the ndlls and the libneko.so had their execute bits
turned on.  running the index.n file from the new neko binary worked,
but trying to load it from a browser hangs.

> Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:05:23 -0300
> From: Cau? Waneck <[hidden email]>
>
> Ian, try to compile and install neko from sources. I've had trouble also
> by
> using the haxe installer on ubuntu, but everything worked perfect with
> compiling by its sources!!!
>
> 2010/7/26 Ian Martins <[hidden email]>
>
> > It's on an ubuntu machine.  I tried on another ubuntu machine and got
> > the same result.  neko was installed by the haxe installer.
> >
> > the path to mod_neko2.ndll is correct (/usr/lib/neko).  If I misspell
> > mod_neko2.ndll in the LoadModule directive, apache gives an error on
> > startup.
> >
> > all of the ndll's in /usr/lib/neko are world readable, and the directory
> > has world read and execute.  I can run the index.n from a user account
> > using the neko executable in that same directory.  ldconfig finds
> > libneko.so.
> >
> > Is there something else I can check to see if neko is correctly
> > installed?
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Ian
> >
> > > That sound like neko is not correctly installed on you server.
> > > Are you sure that the path is correct to the mod_neko2.ndll? Are you
> > > sure that Apache has the filesystem rights to start neko?

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
good idea.  I tried it and got this:

* About to connect() to localhost port 80 (#0)
*   Trying 127.0.0.1... connected
* Connected to localhost (127.0.0.1) port 80 (#0)
> GET /hello/index.n HTTP/1.1
> Host: localhost
> Accept: */*

at which point it hung.  So it looks like the connection is opened, the
GET is sent, but nothing is returned and the connection isn't closed.

On Mon, 26 Jul 2010 12:30 -0700, "Randy Stauner"
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> try something like this:
> curl -v http://localhost/index.n
>
> do you get Response headers?  is there anything useful in the output?
>
> On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 11:51 AM, Ian Martins <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > I compiled neko but got the same result.  the new binaries were a bit
> > smaller and all of the ndlls and the libneko.so had their execute bits
> > turned on.  running the index.n file from the new neko binary worked,
> > but trying to load it from a browser hangs.
> >
> > > Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:05:23 -0300
> > > From: Cau? Waneck <[hidden email]>
> > >
> > > Ian, try to compile and install neko from sources. I've had trouble also
> > > by
> > > using the haxe installer on ubuntu, but everything worked perfect with
> > > compiling by its sources!!!

> > directory

> > --
> > haXe - an open source web programming language
> > http://haxe.org

Re: installing mod-neko for apache

Ian Martins
it appears that it is hanging on mod_neko.c line 253, which is a call to
"loadmodule", to which it is passing /var/www/hello/index.n.

the file is in the right place, and it is world readable.  and works if
run via neko.  I changed the owner and group to www-data to be safe.