installation error on osx 10.5.5

banzaii
Hello everyone.

I am new to this list and just tried to install the newest release of
haxe, 2.01. Unfortunately after entering my user password, the
installier quits with an "Error: Installation aborted"-message.
Another log-window opens and tells me:

Testing proxy 127.0.0.1:8118
Could not connect on Google, don't use the proxy
Getting Local haXe Version
Getting Local Neko Version
Getting Latest haXe Version

Error = Failed to connect on localhost:8118

Called from haxe/Http.hx line 624
Called from haxe/Http.hx line 245
Called from haxe/Http.hx line 404
Called from haxe/Http.hx line 247
Called from haxe/Http.hx line 626
Called from tools/hxinst/Main.hx line 183
Called from tools/hxinst/Main.hx line 85

(phew.. would have been nice if I could have selected the text in the
log window instead of retyping it.. no rocket science ;) )

It tries to connect to a local proxy neither running nor installed on
my machine. Ok, I had installed vidalia, but removed it from my system
months ago. As my internet connection seems to be ok I don't
understand why the sources could not be loaded by the installer.

Note: I had an old hoxe version installed (version 1.12). As I could
not find an uninstaller, I removed /usr/bin/haxe and /usr/lib/haxe
manually from my file system.
(Suggestion: I don't know to which location the new version tries to
install itself to but wouldn't it be better/more transparent/standard-
conform to install it to /usr/local/bin / /usr/local/lib and setting
the path variable for not messing around in operating system libraries?)

Any hints are appreciated
Kai-Philipp

Re: installation error on osx 10.5.5

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello,

as for your problem with proxies it seems like there is something
still there in your system... But I can't help more since I don't have
a mac there.

For the path problem, according to the FHS, /opt/usr/ would be more
conform to standards. Not sure about MacOSX.

Regards,

On Fri, Nov 21, 2008 at 11:06 AM, banzaii <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hello everyone.
>
> I am new to this list and just tried to install the newest release of haxe,
> 2.01. Unfortunately after entering my user password, the installier quits
> with an "Error: Installation aborted"-message. Another log-window opens and
> tells me:
>
> Testing proxy 127.0.0.1:8118
> Could not connect on Google, don't use the proxy
> Getting Local haXe Version
> Getting Local Neko Version
> Getting Latest haXe Version
>

> Error = Failed to connect on localhost:8118
>
> Called from haxe/Http.hx line 624
> Called from haxe/Http.hx line 245
> Called from haxe/Http.hx line 404
> Called from haxe/Http.hx line 247
> Called from haxe/Http.hx line 626
> Called from tools/hxinst/Main.hx line 183
> Called from tools/hxinst/Main.hx line 85
>
> (phew.. would have been nice if I could have selected the text in the log
> window instead of retyping it.. no rocket science ;) )
>
> It tries to connect to a local proxy neither running nor installed on my
> machine. Ok, I had installed vidalia, but removed it from my system months
> ago. As my internet connection seems to be ok I don't understand why the
> sources could not be loaded by the installer.
>
> Note: I had an old hoxe version installed (version 1.12). As I could not
> find an uninstaller, I removed /usr/bin/haxe and /usr/lib/haxe manually from
> my file system.
> (Suggestion: I don't know to which location the new version tries to install
> itself to but wouldn't it be better/more transparent/standard-conform to
> install it to /usr/local/bin / /usr/local/lib and setting the path variable
> for not messing around in operating system libraries?)
>
> Any hints are appreciated
> Kai-Philipp

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

banzaii a écrit :
> Hello everyone.
>
> I am new to this list and just tried to install the newest release of
> haxe, 2.01. Unfortunately after entering my user password, the
> installier quits with an "Error: Installation aborted"-message. Another
> log-window opens and tells me:
>
> Testing proxy 127.0.0.1:8118
> Could not connect on Google, don't use the proxy

Thanks for reporting, I could fix the bug on CVS.

The problem is that a proxy is detected on your OS, but the check does
not properly disable it.

As for being able to select the text in window, I've been struggling
enough with poor Apple docs to get a window displayed in C, so you're
welcome to suggest a patch ;)
Sources :
http://code.google.com/p/xcross/source/browse/trunk/src/sys_osx.c?r=37

To install haXe, you can either try to disable the proxy that was found
in /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/preferences.plist, or
install by hand. I can't update the installer so far because I need to
package the installer as a DMG first...

Re: installation error on osx 10.5.5

banzaii
You're da man! Thrashing my preferences.plist did the trick.
Thanks.

I am no osx programmer, at least not yet, I am just about to digg in.
But as far as I know you would not have to create your logwindow in c+
+ but you can create it with interface builder, connect an objective c
class to it and make calls to this from your c++ code. I saw in your
code that you make use of the HICreateScrollingTextBox which is part
of carbon as far as I know and Carbon won't be supported in OSX 10.6
any longer.

At least if I made some progress with my osx skills I would be happy
to contribute to your project.

regards
Kai-Philipp