hss bug?

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
8 messages Options
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

hss bug?

Baluta Cristian
Hello.
I have this code in hss:

ul {
margin-left: -30px;
margin-top: 50px;
.vertical_list li {
text-align: left;
.......

and i get this code in css:

ul {
margin-left : -30px;
margin-top : 50px;
}
ul .vertical_list li {
text-align : left;
.......

Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at the moment.

--
Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

Nicolas Cannasse
Baluta Cristian a écrit :

> Hello.
> I have this code in hss:
>
> ul {
> margin-left: -30px;
> margin-top: 50px;
> .vertical_list li {
> text-align: left;
> .......
>
> and i get this code in css:
>
> ul {
> margin-left : -30px;
> margin-top : 50px;
> }
> ul .vertical_list li {
> text-align : left;
> .......
>
> Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
> This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
> It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at
> the moment.

It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a
class="vertical_list" element inside the ul

If your class is on the ul then you have to do

ul.vertical_list {
}

Nicolas

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

blackdog-2

Thanks for hss! I saw this post and tried it out, it's now part of my
"site pipeline". Awesome.

bd

On Fri, 28 Aug 2009 21:28:35 +0200
Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Baluta Cristian a écrit :
> > Hello.
> > I have this code in hss:
> >
> > ul {
> > margin-left: -30px;
> > margin-top: 50px;
> > .vertical_list li {
> > text-align: left;
> > .......
> >
> > and i get this code in css:
> >
> > ul {
> > margin-left : -30px;
> > margin-top : 50px;
> > }
> > ul .vertical_list li {
> > text-align : left;
> > .......
> >
> > Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
> > This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
> > It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the
> > ul at the moment.
>
> It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a
> class="vertical_list" element inside the ul
>
> If your class is on the ul then you have to do
>
> ul.vertical_list {
> }
>
> Nicolas
>


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

Baluta Cristian
In reply to this post by Nicolas Cannasse
I'm glad i made you aware of this tool. I presented it into a community here and they liked it, despite the fact they'll not use it.

now, my problem was another, i didn't knew i wasn't clear enough
i'm refering at this css line:
ul .vertical_list li {

because of the free space before the dot, is not working
i manually edited the css like this:
ul.vertical_list li {

and is working. so the free space is produced by hss, i didn't mistyped it.


On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Baluta Cristian a écrit :

Hello.
I have this code in hss:

ul {
margin-left: -30px;
margin-top: 50px;
.vertical_list li {
text-align: left;
.......

and i get this code in css:

ul {
margin-left : -30px;
margin-top : 50px;
}
ul .vertical_list li {
text-align : left;
.......

Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at the moment.

It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a class="vertical_list" element inside the ul

If your class is on the ul then you have to do

ul.vertical_list {
}

Nicolas

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

Juan Delgado
Also try to compile SWFMill from sources, some sound patches have been
applied lately, might solve your problem (it did solve mine related to
fonts).

Juan

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Baluta Cristian<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm glad i made you aware of this tool. I presented it into a community here
> and they liked it, despite the fact they'll not use it.
> now, my problem was another, i didn't knew i wasn't clear enough
> i'm refering at this css line:
> ul .vertical_list li {
> because of the free space before the dot, is not working
> i manually edited the css like this:
> ul.vertical_list li {
> and is working. so the free space is produced by hss, i didn't mistyped it.
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Baluta Cristian a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>> I have this code in hss:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left: -30px;
>>> margin-top: 50px;
>>> .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align: left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> and i get this code in css:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left : -30px;
>>> margin-top : 50px;
>>> }
>>> ul .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align : left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
>>> This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
>>> It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at
>>> the moment.
>>
>> It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a
>> class="vertical_list" element inside the ul
>>
>> If your class is on the ul then you have to do
>>
>> ul.vertical_list {
>> }
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>
>
>
> --
> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>



--
Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

Baluta Cristian
swfmill? but has nothing to do with hss.

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 10:08 AM, Juan Delgado <[hidden email]> wrote:
Also try to compile SWFMill from sources, some sound patches have been
applied lately, might solve your problem (it did solve mine related to
fonts).

Juan

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Baluta Cristian<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm glad i made you aware of this tool. I presented it into a community here
> and they liked it, despite the fact they'll not use it.
> now, my problem was another, i didn't knew i wasn't clear enough
> i'm refering at this css line:
> ul .vertical_list li {
> because of the free space before the dot, is not working
> i manually edited the css like this:
> ul.vertical_list li {
> and is working. so the free space is produced by hss, i didn't mistyped it.
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Baluta Cristian a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>> I have this code in hss:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left: -30px;
>>> margin-top: 50px;
>>> .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align: left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> and i get this code in css:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left : -30px;
>>> margin-top : 50px;
>>> }
>>> ul .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align : left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
>>> This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
>>> It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at
>>> the moment.
>>
>> It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a
>> class="vertical_list" element inside the ul
>>
>> If your class is on the ul then you have to do
>>
>> ul.vertical_list {
>> }
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>
>
>
> --
> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>



--
Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

Ian Thomas
In reply to this post by Baluta Cristian
Nicolas's last answer does actually answer your problem.

The current way you've set it up:

ul
{
   .vertical_list
   {
   }
}

is set up to apply styles to this scenario:

<ul>
  <someTag class="vertical_list"/>
</ul>

and the generated CSS:

ul .vertical_list {}

does exactly that, correctly.

What you _want_, we assume, is to apply styles to this:

<ul class="vertical_list"/>

So your CSS (as you say) should be this:

ul.vertical_list {}

So your HSS should be this:

ul.vertical_list
{
}

I think you misunderstand how nesting in HSS works, and I'm not sure
how I can explain it any more clearly!

Look at 'Nesting' on the documentation page:
http://ncannasse.fr/projects/hss

HTH,
    Ian

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Baluta Cristian<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I'm glad i made you aware of this tool. I presented it into a community here
> and they liked it, despite the fact they'll not use it.
> now, my problem was another, i didn't knew i wasn't clear enough
> i'm refering at this css line:
> ul .vertical_list li {
> because of the free space before the dot, is not working
> i manually edited the css like this:
> ul.vertical_list li {
> and is working. so the free space is produced by hss, i didn't mistyped it.
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Baluta Cristian a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>> I have this code in hss:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left: -30px;
>>> margin-top: 50px;
>>> .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align: left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> and i get this code in css:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left : -30px;
>>> margin-top : 50px;
>>> }
>>> ul .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align : left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
>>> This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
>>> It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at
>>> the moment.
>>
>> It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a
>> class="vertical_list" element inside the ul
>>
>> If your class is on the ul then you have to do
>>
>> ul.vertical_list {
>> }
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>
>
>
> --
> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: hss bug?

Baluta Cristian
Yes, seems that in fact i don't know what's the difference of them in css. 
Problem solved, thanks.

On Sun, Aug 30, 2009 at 1:45 PM, Ian Thomas <[hidden email]> wrote:
Nicolas's last answer does actually answer your problem.

The current way you've set it up:

ul
{
  .vertical_list
  {
  }
}

is set up to apply styles to this scenario:

<ul>
 <someTag class="vertical_list"/>
</ul>

and the generated CSS:

ul .vertical_list {}

does exactly that, correctly.

What you _want_, we assume, is to apply styles to this:

<ul class="vertical_list"/>

So your CSS (as you say) should be this:

ul.vertical_list {}

So your HSS should be this:

ul.vertical_list
{
}

I think you misunderstand how nesting in HSS works, and I'm not sure
how I can explain it any more clearly!

Look at 'Nesting' on the documentation page:
http://ncannasse.fr/projects/hss

HTH,
   Ian

On Sat, Aug 29, 2009 at 8:00 AM, Baluta Cristian<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm glad i made you aware of this tool. I presented it into a community here
> and they liked it, despite the fact they'll not use it.
> now, my problem was another, i didn't knew i wasn't clear enough
> i'm refering at this css line:
> ul .vertical_list li {
> because of the free space before the dot, is not working
> i manually edited the css like this:
> ul.vertical_list li {
> and is working. so the free space is produced by hss, i didn't mistyped it.
>
> On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 10:28 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Baluta Cristian a écrit :
>>>
>>> Hello.
>>> I have this code in hss:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left: -30px;
>>> margin-top: 50px;
>>> .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align: left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> and i get this code in css:
>>>
>>> ul {
>>> margin-left : -30px;
>>> margin-top : 50px;
>>> }
>>> ul .vertical_list li {
>>> text-align : left;
>>> .......
>>>
>>> Note the space between ul and .vertical_list li
>>> This space is causing the li tags to not listen for the css rules.
>>> It's a bug? Any idea how to make it work? I'm using it outside the ul at
>>> the moment.
>>
>> It's normal behavior : it means that you are declaring a
>> class="vertical_list" element inside the ul
>>
>> If your class is on the ul then you have to do
>>
>> ul.vertical_list {
>> }
>>
>> Nicolas
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>
>
>
> --
> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org