hello haxe'ees

Rob Bateman
Hey

just joined the list and was wanting to ask a little question - would anyone be interested in helping to convert the 3d library Away3d to haxe? We've created a branch all ready to go and have uploaded a converted src folder using the output from the as3tohaxe project: source can currently be located and downloaded here, although i'm expecting things to take a little tweaking before compiling is possible:

http://away3d.googlecode.com/svn/branches/haxe/

After a day of swearing I'm still struggling getting things to work correctly in textmate with haxe projects - does anyone have a suggestion on how to setup so that a build file will also launch a browser window? Is ant the best things to use here? I'm new to textmate so unsure eactly what i'm doing - seems the 'build' shortcut in the haxe bundle will only ever look for a file called 'build.hxml'. I really wish someone would startup one of the old eclipse/haxe plugins... but i guess it's healthy to try and learn a few new things every now and then ;) At least it's not as complex as XCode

atb

Rob

--
Rob Bateman
Flash Development & Consultancy

[hidden email]
www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
www.away3d.com

Re: hello haxe'ees

Robert Sköld
Hey Rob,

I have a build.xml looking like this:

-cp src
-debug
-swf public/main.swf
-swf-version 9
-swf-header 640:480:31
-swf-lib fla/assets.swf
-main Main
-cmd open -a Flash\ Player.app public/main.swf

I guess you could just change the last line to:

-cmd open -a Firefox.app http://localhost/haxe/

Hope it helps!

/bob

On Nov 23, 2008, at 01:08, Rob Bateman wrote:

> Hey
>
> just joined the list and was wanting to ask a little question -
> would anyone be interested in helping to convert the 3d library
> Away3d to haxe? We've created a branch all ready to go and have
> uploaded a converted src folder using the output from the as3tohaxe
> project: source can currently be located and downloaded here,
> although i'm expecting things to take a little tweaking before
> compiling is possible:
>
> http://away3d.googlecode.com/svn/branches/haxe/
>
> After a day of swearing I'm still struggling getting things to work
> correctly in textmate with haxe projects - does anyone have a
> suggestion on how to setup so that a build file will also launch a
> browser window? Is ant the best things to use here? I'm new to
> textmate so unsure eactly what i'm doing - seems the 'build'
> shortcut in the haxe bundle will only ever look for a file called
> 'build.hxml'. I really wish someone would startup one of the old
> eclipse/haxe plugins... but i guess it's healthy to try and learn a
> few new things every now and then ;) At least it's not as complex as
> XCode
>
> atb
>
> Rob
>
> --
> Rob Bateman
> Flash Development & Consultancy
>
> [hidden email]
> www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
> www.away3d.com

Re: hello haxe'ees

Zjnue Brzavi
Hi Rob,

> just joined the list and was wanting to ask a little question - would anyone
> be interested in helping to convert the 3d library Away3d to haxe? We've
> created a branch all ready to go and have uploaded a converted src folder
> using the output from the as3tohaxe project: source can currently be located
> and downloaded here, although i'm expecting things to take a little tweaking
> before compiling is possible:
>
> http://away3d.googlecode.com/svn/branches/haxe/

Welcome to haXe. I hope there is a great synergy between the haXe 3d efforts.

I had a quick look at the code and thought it may save some time using
an early-days haXe code re-formatter, that you can find here:
http://code.google.com/p/hrescript/source/browse/#svn/trunk
Attached are 4 reformatted classes in the away data package to give an
idea (though white-space can be tweaked to a degree).

It is failing on most hx files because of some as3-isms still being
around, ie: for (a;b;c), import bla.*; etc..
Once those are cleared up, it should do pretty well.

It also seems to be having some text encoding and svn control char
issues. I can suggest the following changes:

http://code.google.com/p/hrescript/source/browse/trunk/hrescript/input/hx/Parser.hx
replace line 80 with:
identChars = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz0123456789_*";
// if you want to accept import bla.*; etc temporarily

after line 1070, add:
if( char == 239 || char == 187 || char == 191 )
  trace("warning, chr " + char + " encountered"); // or whatever here...
else

http://code.google.com/p/hrescript/source/browse/trunk/hrescript/output/hx/WriteUtil.hx
replace line 182 with:
a.push( tc.text );

http://code.google.com/p/hrescript/source/browse/trunk/WriteHx.hx
replace line 50 with:
mode = true;

update line 57 with the path to away3d-hx

Good luck :)
Zjnue

Btw, what are the best resources for 3d noobs these days?

data.7z (1K) Download Attachment

Re: hello haxe'ees

tong-2
On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 00:08 +0000, Rob Bateman wrote:

> Hey
>
> just joined the list and was wanting to ask a little question - would
> anyone be interested in helping to convert the 3d library Away3d to
> haxe? We've created a branch all ready to go and have uploaded a
> converted src folder using the output from the as3tohaxe project:
> source can currently be located and downloaded here, although i'm
> expecting things to take a little tweaking before compiling is
> possible:
>
> http://away3d.googlecode.com/svn/branches/haxe/
>
> After a day of swearing I'm still struggling getting things to work
> correctly in textmate with haxe projects - does anyone have a
> suggestion on how to setup so that a build file will also launch a
> browser window? Is ant the best things to use here? I'm new to
> textmate so unsure eactly what i'm doing - seems the 'build' shortcut
> in the haxe bundle will only ever look for a file called 'build.hxml'.
> I really wish someone would startup one of the old eclipse/haxe
> plugins... but i guess it's healthy to try and learn a few new things
> every now and then ;) At least it's not as complex as XCode
>
> atb

hi rob,

i've already ported a little bit of away3d ( v2.1, by hand ) just for
interest.
get the sources from: http://blog.disktree.net/file/holo/holo_0.1.2.zip
or git: git://83.64.208.21/holo.git
maybe this helps somehow.

and stay tuned to the 3d engine from nicolas. looks damn promising !
http://ncannasse.fr/blog/playing_with_3d

cus.tong

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: hello haxe'ees

Rob Bateman
Hey Tong

that is fantastic! I'm having a go compiling stuff now. Actual version looks older than 2.1, although it's hard to tell because there has been a bit of moving around :)

Have you noticed any speed improvements with your haxe version of away3d? have you made any? Also, where does that nifty fps monitor come from? I notice the haxe3d source uses it as well...

Rob

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 2:39 AM, tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 00:08 +0000, Rob Bateman wrote:
> Hey
>
> just joined the list and was wanting to ask a little question - would
> anyone be interested in helping to convert the 3d library Away3d to
> haxe? We've created a branch all ready to go and have uploaded a
> converted src folder using the output from the as3tohaxe project:
> source can currently be located and downloaded here, although i'm
> expecting things to take a little tweaking before compiling is
> possible:
>
> http://away3d.googlecode.com/svn/branches/haxe/
>
> After a day of swearing I'm still struggling getting things to work
> correctly in textmate with haxe projects - does anyone have a
> suggestion on how to setup so that a build file will also launch a
> browser window? Is ant the best things to use here? I'm new to
> textmate so unsure eactly what i'm doing - seems the 'build' shortcut
> in the haxe bundle will only ever look for a file called 'build.hxml'.
> I really wish someone would startup one of the old eclipse/haxe
> plugins... but i guess it's healthy to try and learn a few new things
> every now and then ;) At least it's not as complex as XCode
>
> atb

hi rob,

i've already ported a little bit of away3d ( v2.1, by hand ) just for
interest.
get the sources from: http://blog.disktree.net/file/holo/holo_0.1.2.zip
or git: git://83.64.208.21/holo.git
maybe this helps somehow.

and stay tuned to the 3d engine from nicolas. looks damn promising !
http://ncannasse.fr/blog/playing_with_3d

cus.tong

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Rob Bateman
Flash Development & Consultancy

[hidden email]
www.infiniteturtles.co.uk
www.away3d.com

Re: hello haxe'ees

Rob Bateman
Thanx Zjnue - this is really helpful.

Welcome to haXe. I hope there is a great synergy between the haXe 3d efforts.

well, away3d should have been ported to haxe a long time ago. Now that there are extra opcode commands available in flash 10, there is even more reason to use haxe for 3d engines, especially where speed is a primary aim. I may have a few more questions as i go though, so please bear with me :)

Rob

Hi Rob,

On Sun, 2008-11-23 at 19:36 +0000, Rob Bateman wrote:
> Hey Tong
>
> that is fantastic! I'm having a go compiling stuff now. Actual version
> looks older than 2.1, although it's hard to tell because there has
> been a bit of moving around :)

i think i've started at 2.0. but it was mainly 2.1.

> Have you noticed any speed improvements with your haxe version of
> away3d? have you made any?

of course.
I havent done a lot of comparisons, but thanks to 'inline' and other
'out-of-the-box' performance optimized stuff ( fe: translating for loops
automaticly to while etc ) haxe defenitely performs faster.
you should not compare my haxe-engine with away3d directly, since its
not a complete 1:1 port.

but for example:
10000000 matrix43 multiplications on release player:
as3 ( away3d ): ~550ms
haXe version: ~460ms

To nicolas:
maybe a list of all flash performance improvements should get added to
the wiki, for performance junkie convincing ;

> Also, where does that nifty fps monitor come from? I notice the haxe3d
> source uses it as well...

originally from mr.doob.
http://code.google.com/p/mrdoob/wiki/stats
basic haxe version: http://paste.disktree.net/40

the version used in the away3d port (counting meshes,faces,..) should be
included in the sources ( holo.display.StatusPanel ).

greets.tong

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3