haxejs.org

I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.

I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for
helping it grow.

Thanks!

Re: haxejs.org

Lars Madson
I love it, very nice, clear and sweet...I would jump into haXe again! :P

Thank you!!

2011/10/13 Joshua Granick <[hidden email]>
Hi,

I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.

I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for helping it grow.

Thanks!

Re: haxejs.org

blackdog
On 10/12/2011 08:27 PM, Joshua Granick wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.
>
> I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for
> helping it grow.
>
> Thanks!

Great idea, haxe/JS needs more love and evangelism. Of all the reviews
on Dart, I think I've seen one oblique mention of haxe, that's tragic
given just how far ahead haxe is in this space.

Nicolas pls include Node.js typedefs as standard soon so we can ride the
wave.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: haxejs.org

Twitter is up and running at @haxejs. Feel free to tweet or mention

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:27:27 -0700, Joshua Granick

> I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.
>
> I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for
> helping it grow.
>
> Thanks!

Re: haxejs.org

Cauê W.
Josh, it's beautiful!

Congratulations!! You're doing an amazing work for the community!

Cheers
Cauê

2011/10/12 Joshua Granick <[hidden email]>
Twitter is up and running at @haxejs. Feel free to tweet or mention

On Wed, 12 Oct 2011 16:27:27 -0700, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi,

I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.

I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for helping it grow.

Thanks!

Re: haxejs.org

theRemix
Nice Work!

showed my gf, she said "aww it's cute"

and she started clicking around kept saying "it's cute, that's a cute font, i like the spacing", so kudos!

-+> theRemix

On Wed, Oct 12, 2011 at 1:27 PM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.

I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for helping it grow.

Thanks!

Re: haxejs.org

postite
excellent initiative !

i had a big laugh when i saw the blue version of haxe's logo ...
take that DART !

postite

Re: haxejs.org

bubblebenj
Real beautiful and well organized site.

However, I wonder I it's a good thing to have multiple sites like that wandering on the web.
Maybe it would be great to think of a common menu to acces each site (including nme) that would have the same structure (on each site), so even if the sites are different (and possibly located at different place) there is still a glue.

One more thing that would make it even more easy to glue these sites is to have all sites under haxe.org like js.haxe.org nme.haxe.org...

Ben

RE: haxejs.org

Lee Sylvester

We could setup an official “haXe webring”… I normally loath webrings, but if managed, this could be a good use case scenario.

Lee

Le 13/10/2011 01:27, Joshua Granick a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> I have haxejs.org up-and-running with some initial content.
>
> I would love to hear your feedback on the site, as well as ideas for
> helping it grow.

Great ! Looks very.... cute :)

Keep up with the good work !

Re: haxejs.org

Benjamin Dasnois
Hi Joshua,

Actually, I don't think that this site is a good idea. It's well-done, and you know how much I respect your work but the problem to me is "what is this haXe JS thing?" (Even I wondered). You are creating several products in the mind of people and this is obviously not what we want to communicate.

On the other hand, the site looks nice and well structured. I believe we should move it to something more oriented toward haXe as a whole (but not NME, NME deserves its own website).

You found the good "design" because it does look good to the eye and because it tells a story (what haxe.org doesn't do at the moment). I believe we should just think of haXe as a whole.

Feel free to contact me over Jabber/GTalk.

Regards,

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:10 AM, Lee Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:

We could setup an official “haXe webring”… I normally loath webrings, but if managed, this could be a good use case scenario.

Lee

However, I wonder I it's a good thing to have multiple sites like that wandering on the web.

Maybe it would be great to think of a common menu to acces each site (including nme) that would have the same structure (on each site), so even if the sites are different (and possibly located at different place) there is still a glue.

One more thing that would make it even more easy to glue these sites is to have all sites under haxe.org like js.haxe.org nme.haxe.org...

Ben

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: haxejs.org

Franco Ponticelli

Actually, I don't think that this site is a good idea. It's well-done, and you know how much I respect your work but the problem to me is "what is this haXe JS thing?" (Even I wondered). You are creating several products in the mind of people and this is obviously not what we want to communicate.

Maybe is not the right way to communicate but it is for sure that so far we haven't done a great job at it ... so maybe it is time to try something new and from my point of view, enthusiasm should never be limited.

Franco

Re: haxejs.org

Michael Cann
If there was a "community member of the year award" you would be winning it right now Joshua.

Great work mate, ill have a chin rub on what can be done to enhance the site.

On 13 October 2011 09:41, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually, I don't think that this site is a good idea. It's well-done, and you know how much I respect your work but the problem to me is "what is this haXe JS thing?" (Even I wondered). You are creating several products in the mind of people and this is obviously not what we want to communicate.

Maybe is not the right way to communicate but it is for sure that so far we haven't done a great job at it ... so maybe it is time to try something new and from my point of view, enthusiasm should never be limited.

Franco

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: haxejs.org

Benjamin Dasnois
I agree with you Franco and I think you get my point. Joshua's work is amazing, I really appreciate what he does and this site is great. Just saying that I'm feeling like it creates a gap between haXe/JS, haXe/Neko, haXe/PHP...

So, I'll just say it very clearly so no ones feels offended : this is great work Joshua! ;)

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 10:41 AM, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

Actually, I don't think that this site is a good idea. It's well-done, and you know how much I respect your work but the problem to me is "what is this haXe JS thing?" (Even I wondered). You are creating several products in the mind of people and this is obviously not what we want to communicate.

Maybe is not the right way to communicate but it is for sure that so far we haven't done a great job at it ... so maybe it is time to try something new and from my point of view, enthusiasm should never be limited.

Franco

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: haxejs.org

bruno baudry
> If there was a "community member of the year award" you would be winning it right now Joshua.
+1

Re: haxejs.org

fintan boyle
> If there was a "community member of the year award" you would be winning it right now Joshua.
+1

I think these dedicated sites (haxenme and haxejs) are exactly what is needed to help haxe be identified as a viable option in specific target markets.  It is a great effort on Joshua's part to help increase adoption.

On Thu, Oct 13, 2011 at 9:55 AM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> If there was a "community member of the year award" you would be winning it right now Joshua.
+1

RE: haxejs.org

I think, the more haXe sites the better.  Python and Ruby have shedloads.  Yes, there should only be one official site, but spinoffs are great, too.

On saying that, perhaps these spinoff sites should each have a common button to link to the official site?

Lee

Re: haxejs.org

Elsass Philippe
Just as with haxenme.org, I think haxejs.org (great theme ;)) is the way to go and I'm very supportive to Joshua in this regard.

As I repeat often, haxe is "too big" in that it does too much and this is overwhelming for most people.

Nobody excepted a few early haxe adopters does/would do everything with haxe and it's just annoying/confusing to have to explore haxe.org and filter information depending on the platform you are looking for. You must click 10 times to find trivial tutorials which don't give you enough information to actually get started.

Now I know it's the community's job to complete haxe.org wiki, but it's a very big task to organise & write so much information on one website. Platform-specific websites are easier to write to give a clear, immediate answer to someone's need.

Truth is people are looking for solutions for one target, not for a lang revolution:
- "I want to make a mobile game, but I don't want to learn each platform lang or use AIR"
- "sure, here's NME, it looks like Flash and it performs greatly"
- "I come from Flash and I want to make cool HTML5 website but I think JS is too loose after all these years coding in an IDE"
- "sure, here's haxeJS, see how it offers strong typing & completion for these new stuff"

Another advantage of platform-specific websites is "branding". Mobile devs, web devs, Flash devs are different people with different expectations & tastes.

Actually I'd go as far as to suggest to remove most platform-specific information on haxe.org and redirect to these websites - see ruby-lang.org doesn't even talk about RoR.