haxeLib is case sensitive

jlm@justinfront.net
I realize the haxelib is case sensitive... it would be really nice if
when installing it would check you had not got the case wrong, and
make a suggestion rather than saying nope, obviously wild cards like
if you got a hx at the wrong end would be even cooler.. just a
thought... I know it's not important, but a nice feature for next
iteration, if anyone knows how to do that?

Cheers

;j

Re: haxeLib is case sensitive

Pimm Hogeling
Some months ago I made some changes to haxelib as well. Changes similar to the ones you're suggesting.

I have also been working on some changes that improve dependencies by introducing backwards compatibility. (Basically, you can define that awesomelib 1.2 is backwards compatible with awesomelib 1.0. If some project or other library depends on awesomelib 1.0 but 1.2 is installed instead, it will use that. It even allows you to define "cross compatibility". You define that fast-yaml 1.0 is cross compatible with regular-yaml 1.0. If some project or other library depends on regular-yaml 1.0 but fast-yaml 1.0 is installed instead, it will use that.)

Unfortunately, my changes never made it through. The thread I posted on the mailinglist ended in "we want a GUI". I personally don't feel like creating a GUI. Unless in a browser, but I don't think people would appreciate that.

So, yes. I know how to do that. I'm willing to do that. But I guess we might be the only ones who are actually using haxelib…

2011/8/24 [hidden email] <[hidden email]>
I realize the haxelib is case sensitive... it would be really nice if when installing it would check you had not got the case wrong, and make a suggestion rather than saying nope, obviously wild cards like if you got a hx at the wrong end would be even cooler.. just a thought... I know it's not important, but a nice feature for next iteration, if anyone knows how to do that?

Cheers

;j

Re: haxeLib is case sensitive

Pimm Hogeling
By the way, you should read Baluta's response in that thread. He said "UI" whilst he meant to say "GUI", resulting in the statement that "[haxelib] has no UI". It cracked me up the first time I read it, and it did again just now.

Imagine haxelib with no UI. Sounds similar to an ice cream salesman on a deserted island. "Anybody wants some ice cream? No? Still nobody here, huh? Bummer."

No offence, Baluta. You're my dog!

Le 25/08/2011 01:22, Pimm Hogeling a écrit :
> Some months ago I made some changes to haxelib
> <http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Humanised-haxelib-patch-td6164160.html>
> as well. Changes similar to the ones you're suggesting.

[...]
> Unfortunately, my changes never made it through.

The reason I didn't accept the patch is that it was making a lot of
small changes to the text strings that can be questionable. Merging a
big patch takes time, so if there's half of the changes I feel like
undoing I can't accept it as-it unless it brings a nice new feature.

As for haxelib, I think now what would we need the most is a
collaborative website where anybody can search / tag / comment etc.
libraries. It would replace current http://lib.haxe.org and make it much
more easy for people to find popular libraries.

Re: haxeLib is case sensitive

Baluta Cristian
Haha, i'm glad i made you smile, i meant GUI indeed. But you know what, many components that can display something are prefixed with UI, they did not chose GUI just because they are about a graphical representation.
Anyhow, i'm still thinking to make a GUI but my priorities changed after making the nightly builds command line tool.

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 2:33 AM, Pimm Hogeling <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: haxeLib is case sensitive

Alex Liebert
this is pretty off topic i guess, but if we're talking about haxelib usability...

one thing that bugs me is it triggers UAC in Windows 7 every single time I use it (for trying to change the registry.)  This seems like something that could be solved by using the correct windows manifest at install time.  Or maybe it doesn't really need to touch the registry?

alex

2011/8/25 Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]>
The reason I didn't accept the patch is that it was making a lot of small changes to the text strings that can be questionable.
I did make a lot of small changes to the text. That was the entire point behind the patch: make the interface (which is text-based) more humane.

Some changes make texts relevant to users. For instance "list projects matching a word" ― which describes the implementation rather than the purpose ― was replaced by "Find libraries on the server". Other changes turn texts into correct English. "list informations on a given project" was replaced by "Show information about a library on the server". (Information is a mass nuon, therefore "list informations" is painfully incorrect English.)

I'm glad that at least now I know why the changes haven't been applied, but could you also put in an extra two minutes and give an example of such a questionable change? My mind-reading skills have been failing on me lately.