haxe version indicator

postite
i've just read this message http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Is-it-really-Beginner-s-Guide-book-Please-see-screenshot-td6628762.html .. basically the guy doesn't have the right haxe version .

made me think :

i find very annoying to not be able to see which version of haxe is currently installed.

switching from osx to windows to linux very frequently ,
i usually can't remember if i installed the stable version ( or some very buggy linux one) , or some nightly .
it could be very handy to have a -version command in the terminal when calling haxe -help.

but perhaps is there a way to find it otherwise.

David

Re: haxe version indicator

postite
yes i'm running haxe on a nightly and the terminal prompt

 "haXe Compiler 2.07 - (c)2005-2011 Motion-Twin"
not more

just like the "stable" version.

Le 28 juil. 2011 à 11:16, Adrian Cowan a écrit :

> Um, on mine (windows, but linux should be the same) just entering haxe onto the command line gives a message including "2.07", are you saying that the nighties also say this or have you not tried this method.

Re: haxe version indicator

Baluta Cristian
Would be nice to say the revision version also

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 12:23 PM, John Plsek <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: haxe version indicator

Adrian Cowan
Ok, well then I defiantly agree that this should be changed. The revision number would seem appropriate.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes i'm running haxe on a nightly and the terminal prompt

 "haXe Compiler 2.07 - (c)2005-2011 Motion-Twin"
not more

just like the "stable" version.

Le 28 juil. 2011 à 11:16, Adrian Cowan a écrit :

> Um, on mine (windows, but linux should be the same) just entering haxe onto the command line gives a message including "2.07", are you saying that the nighties also say this or have you not tried this method.

Re: haxe version indicator

laurence taylor
It looks like haXe won't get to 2.1 before it jumps to 3.0, and there have been some major changes in the meantime. My suggestion would be something like http://semver.org/.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, well then I defiantly agree that this should be changed. The revision number would seem appropriate.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes i'm running haxe on a nightly and the terminal prompt

 "haXe Compiler 2.07 - (c)2005-2011 Motion-Twin"
not more

just like the "stable" version.

Le 28 juil. 2011 à 11:16, Adrian Cowan a écrit :

> Um, on mine (windows, but linux should be the same) just entering haxe onto the command line gives a message including "2.07", are you saying that the nighties also say this or have you not tried this method.

Re: haxe version indicator

Adrian Cowan
I thought by 2.07 it was the seventh minor version of 2, so we would have had 2.01 (really the same as 2.1) a while ago, do you mean version 2.10 (two, ten).

But that is just how I interpret it, I could easily be wrong.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Laurence Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like haXe won't get to 2.1 before it jumps to 3.0, and there have been some major changes in the meantime. My suggestion would be something like http://semver.org/.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, well then I defiantly agree that this should be changed. The revision number would seem appropriate.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes i'm running haxe on a nightly and the terminal prompt

 "haXe Compiler 2.07 - (c)2005-2011 Motion-Twin"
not more

just like the "stable" version.

Le 28 juil. 2011 à 11:16, Adrian Cowan a écrit :

> Um, on mine (windows, but linux should be the same) just entering haxe onto the command line gives a message including "2.07", are you saying that the nighties also say this or have you not tried this method.

Re: haxe version indicator

laurence taylor
Yeah, I meant 2.10 or 2.1.0 rather than 2.0.1, it's small potatoes really.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
I thought by 2.07 it was the seventh minor version of 2, so we would have had 2.01 (really the same as 2.1) a while ago, do you mean version 2.10 (two, ten).

But that is just how I interpret it, I could easily be wrong.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 10:59 PM, Laurence Taylor <[hidden email]> wrote:
It looks like haXe won't get to 2.1 before it jumps to 3.0, and there have been some major changes in the meantime. My suggestion would be something like http://semver.org/.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 2:40 PM, Adrian Cowan <[hidden email]> wrote:
Ok, well then I defiantly agree that this should be changed. The revision number would seem appropriate.

On Thu, Jul 28, 2011 at 7:28 PM, david <[hidden email]> wrote:
yes i'm running haxe on a nightly and the terminal prompt

 "haXe Compiler 2.07 - (c)2005-2011 Motion-Twin"
not more

just like the "stable" version.

Le 28 juil. 2011 à 11:16, Adrian Cowan a écrit :

> Um, on mine (windows, but linux should be the same) just entering haxe onto the command line gives a message including "2.07", are you saying that the nighties also say this or have you not tried this method.

Re: haxe version indicator

Nemea Lion
I agree, being able to see the revision for the nightly builds would be helpfull, I manage the diferent versions
with git and branches, and sometimes I forget in wich branch I'm working, and have to go to the haxe dir to
check, when I'll like to easily run haxe --version or something to see the revision I'm using.

2011/7/28 david <[hidden email]>
i've just read this message http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Is-it-really-Beginner-s-Guide-book-Please-see-screenshot-td6628762.html .. basically the guy doesn't have the right haxe version .

made me think :

i find very annoying to not be able to see which version of haxe is currently installed.

switching from osx to windows to linux very frequently ,
i usually can't remember if i installed the stable version ( or some very buggy linux one) , or some nightly .
it could be very handy to have a -version command in the terminal when calling haxe -help.

but perhaps is there a way to find it otherwise.

David

Re: haxe version indicator

postite

That would be. Very kind of you Cauê.  Thanks

Le 28 juil. 2011 21:53, "Cauê Waneck" <[hidden email]> a écrit :
> Displaying the haxe version with the revision would be straight-forward
> enough to implement on the nightly builds. Maybe I could add this myself
> only for the nightlies?
>
> 2011/7/28 Nemea Lion <[hidden email]>
>
>> I agree, being able to see the revision for the nightly builds would be
>> helpfull, I manage the diferent versions
>> with git and branches, and sometimes I forget in wich branch I'm working,
>> and have to go to the haxe dir to
>> check, when I'll like to easily run haxe --version or something to see the
>> revision I'm using.
>>
>> 2011/7/28 david <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> i've just read this message
>>> http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Is-it-really-Beginner-s-Guide-book-Please-see-screenshot-td6628762.html ..
>>> basically the guy doesn't have the right haxe version .
>>>
>>> made me think :
>>>
>>> i find very annoying to not be able to see which version of haxe is
>>> currently installed.
>>>
>>> switching from osx to windows to linux very frequently ,
>>> i usually can't remember if i installed the stable version ( or some very
>>> buggy linux one) , or some nightly .
>>> it could be very handy to have a -version command in the terminal when
>>> calling haxe -help.
>>>
>>> but perhaps is there a way to find it otherwise.
>>>
>>> David

Re: haxe version indicator

Cauê W.
Nicolas, maybe you could add like a %REVISION_VERSION% string so I can search&replace on the .ml ? So also major version releases it appears without them?

2011/7/28 dav kert <[hidden email]>

That would be. Very kind of you Cauê.  Thanks

Le 28 juil. 2011 21:53, "Cauê Waneck" <[hidden email]> a écrit :

> Displaying the haxe version with the revision would be straight-forward
> enough to implement on the nightly builds. Maybe I could add this myself
> only for the nightlies?
>
> 2011/7/28 Nemea Lion <[hidden email]>
>
>> I agree, being able to see the revision for the nightly builds would be
>> helpfull, I manage the diferent versions
>> with git and branches, and sometimes I forget in wich branch I'm working,
>> and have to go to the haxe dir to
>> check, when I'll like to easily run haxe --version or something to see the
>> revision I'm using.
>>
>> 2011/7/28 david <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> i've just read this message
>>> http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Is-it-really-Beginner-s-Guide-book-Please-see-screenshot-td6628762.html ..
>>> basically the guy doesn't have the right haxe version .
>>>
>>> made me think :
>>>
>>> i find very annoying to not be able to see which version of haxe is
>>> currently installed.
>>>
>>> switching from osx to windows to linux very frequently ,
>>> i usually can't remember if i installed the stable version ( or some very
>>> buggy linux one) , or some nightly .
>>> it could be very handy to have a -version command in the terminal when
>>> calling haxe -help.
>>>
>>> but perhaps is there a way to find it otherwise.
>>>
>>> David

Re: haxe version indicator

Yanis Benson

Why don't just ask package manager which version installed?
    pacman -Q haxe
works great for me.