haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Tony Polinelli

As most of you will know, Apple has removed the TOS which (kinda) disallowed haxe on the AppStore.

We submitted a little test app a while ago to see if it would make it through - and its finally made it! So, this proves that haxe is possible on the AppStore!

The game is pretty average - we've already got a few bad reviews (har hummmm ;P) and it is unoptimized. It shows box2d running with a few hundred textures (always in memory) which make up the gfx. Things scale as you move, and it has multitouch.

There are a few bugs - the multitouch seems buggy, but i think this is my ground tests, which only allow jumping when you are on the ground. (tap the screen to jump)

works on 3g (badly) 3gs(well) ipod v3(well) iphone 4 (a little wierdly)

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/egg-truck/id386293344?mt=8

I'll put up the flash & c++ versions of the game soon - to prove the beauty haxe haxe nme!

cheers

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Lee Sylvester
It's actually quite good mindless fun. I'd like to see it optimised ;-)

Congratulations. You've paved the way for us all.

On 23 Sep 2010, at 05:57, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

interaction-designer
Hi Tony,

Good to know! Kind of funny to send in some FooBar game, just to see if it gets through! Would be nice if the haxe, haxelib executables could run on the iphone, so you develop, debug and run directly on the Iphone ... That would be a nice test :)

Greetings, Simon

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Baluta Cristian
Congrats. It's indeed moving auful, and the graphics the same. Do you have swf version also?

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 11:57 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

@jlm: If someone wants to do a good write-up of how to get Android stuff working "easily" would be happy to do a compile!

(though it might have to wait until it's a proper game)

@id: Yeah, it is a bit of a FooBar, but we had to make sure we could finally get hxcpp on the store. There was heaps of rejections from Apple for "calls to undocumented APIs" so it helped us help Hugh get it right. Promise we'll add levels / fun sometime soon.

So, yeah, people now know it can be done so hopefully we've opened the flood-gates for you all!

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 6:57 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer-2
It runs fine on a 3GS, but a but crappy on the 3G (buttery smooth). Strangely the 4G is a bit all over the place too (rendering at a higher res maybe?). One of the big problems is probably the fact were not pooling anything and just throwing bitmaps at the stage- which means it's not doing too badly in my opinion

 I also don't think what we're doing here is the best idea for the iPhone anyway - if you check out something like Rolando even that has the ocassional slow down on the 3G.

As Tony mentioned earlier though the one thing that might need looking at is multitouch input lag- but that could just be our sloppy code too.

Flash+CPP version up tomorrow (hopefully). It's pretty sweet to see how fast the CPP one runs on a desktop!

--------------------------
--------------------------

On 23/09/2010, at 9:36 PM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

m5no1
Nice!!! great job!

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Justin Donaldson-2
Yeah, congrats!  This sets a nice precedent.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, m5no1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!!! great job!

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Tony Polinelli

The thing which slows it down the most is the gfx. I have a layout tool which writes the rotation, position, scale etc of sprites and the arrangement of box2d shapes + objects to an xml format. At the moment the xml is parsed and all of the gfx and box2d shapes are ALL created all at the start. Depending on where you are the .visibility of the Bitmap Objects (the whole layout is just a few hundred instances of that on papercut bitmap) is toggles - which improved performance, but pooling these so that only 20 or so are needed would make a HUGE difference. Adding more (hundreds of) textures (Bitmap objects) and moving them around - even offscreen + invisible - seems to hit the performance quite a bit. The box2d calc isnt expensive. neither is other game processing.

So, i'll look to posting a flash version later - gotta get a job out first ;P

Tony

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, congrats!  This sets a nice precedent.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, m5no1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!!! great job!

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Tony Polinelli

Heres the flash version:

http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/

Windows EXE:

http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/EggTruck.zip

I compiled out to mac but it just came up with a white screen - something going a little wrong with my osx haxe nme, never worked properly with this release- maybe my dev paths are set wrong.

If someone wants to compile an android version i'll send the project through- we'll probably post the code too at some time, might make a blog changes first.

cheers
Tony

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

singmajesty
Hey, that's fun, and free on iTunes, right? It's amazing to me how people
give free stuff bad reviews, especially a fun game like this.

How long did it take for Apple to approve it?

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:31:19 -0700, Tony Polinelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Heres the flash version:
>
> http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/
>
> Windows EXE:
>
> http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/EggTruck.zip
>
> I compiled out to mac but it just came up with a white screen - something
> going a little wrong with my osx haxe nme, never worked properly with
> this
> release- maybe my dev paths are set wrong.
>
> If someone wants to compile an android version i'll send the project
> through- we'll probably post the code too at some time, might make a blog
> changes first.
>
> cheers
> Tony
>

> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Tony Polinelli
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>

>> The thing which slows it down the most is the gfx. I have a layout tool
>> which writes the rotation, position, scale etc of sprites and the
>> arrangement of box2d shapes + objects to an xml format. At the moment
>> the
>> xml is parsed and all of the gfx and box2d shapes are ALL created all
>> at the
>> start. Depending on where you are the .visibility of the Bitmap Objects
>> (the
>> whole layout is just a few hundred instances of that on papercut
>> bitmap) is
>> toggles - which improved performance, but pooling these so that only 20
>> or
>> so are needed would make a HUGE difference. Adding more (hundreds of)
>> textures (Bitmap objects) and moving them around - even offscreen +
>> invisible - seems to hit the performance quite a bit. The box2d calc
>> isnt
>> expensive. neither is other game processing.
>>
>> So, i'll look to posting a flash version later - gotta get a job out
>> first
>> ;P
>>
>> Tony
>>

>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:11 AM, Justin Donaldson
>> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>>
>>> Yeah, congrats!  This sets a nice precedent.
>>>
>>> -Justin

>>> --
>>> blog: http://www.scwn.net
>>> aim: iujjd
>>> twitter: jjdonald

>> Tony Polinelli
>> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Tony Polinelli
yes free-

It took maybe 1.5-2 weeks after we sent in a build which didnt get automatically rejected for undocumented api's.

On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Joshua Granick <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Ah, interesting. Were those undocumented APIs a part of HXCPP, or is there
something else that triggered it?

If it was HXCPP, have the fixes been applied to the trunk, or are they
just on your end?

I find this all interesting ... thanks for sharing :)

For what its worth, I give the egg truck game five stars. I don't have an
i-device, so I only played it in Flash, but I still really enjoyed playing
it

On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 23:04:24 -0700, Tony Polinelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> yes free-
>
> It took maybe 1.5-2 weeks after we sent in a build which didnt get
> automatically rejected for undocumented api's.
>

> On Sat, Sep 25, 2010 at 3:44 AM, Joshua Granick
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Hey, that's fun, and free on iTunes, right? It's amazing to me how
>> people
>> give free stuff bad reviews, especially a fun game like this.
>>
>> How long did it take for Apple to approve it?
>>

>> On Fri, 24 Sep 2010 00:31:19 -0700, Tony Polinelli
>> <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>  Heres the flash version:
>>>
>>> http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/
>>>
>>> Windows EXE:
>>>
>>> http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/EggTruck.zip
>>>
>>> I compiled out to mac but it just came up with a white screen -
>>> something
>>> going a little wrong with my osx haxe nme, never worked properly with
>>> this
>>> release- maybe my dev paths are set wrong.
>>>
>>> If someone wants to compile an android version i'll send the project
>>> through- we'll probably post the code too at some time, might make a
>>> blog
>>> changes first.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> Tony
>>>

>>> On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 9:29 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Yeah, the "undocumented apis" were in hxcpp. They're fixed now though there might be more you run into if you use more features of it?

An example is the getargc function which you use to get arguments from the command line. Even though I can't see this being a problem to call Apple complains if it's there. I'm guessing Hugh just did an "if !iphone" use them and they were fixed.

[hidden email]>wrote:

 Yeah, congrats!  This sets a nice precedent.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, m5no1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!!! great job!

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

Tony Polinelli
They are fixed and shoudnt be an issue in the future (afaik) as the whole hxcpp .a's are statically linked into the app. So dont worry about this

[hidden email]>wrote:

 Yeah, congrats!  This sets a nice precedent.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, m5no1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!!! great job!

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

domrein
Would it be possible for you to post the source (including xcode project files) for Egg Truck somewhere?  I'm evaluating whether to use haxe or Adobe's tools for an upcoming project and I've run into a few snags.  It'd make a great reference to have a fully functional iOS example.  Either way though.  I have to say I'm VERY impressed with performance compared to Adobe's iPhone packager.  Great work!

[hidden email]>wrote:

 Yeah, congrats!  This sets a nice precedent.

-Justin

On Thu, Sep 23, 2010 at 10:00 AM, m5no1 <[hidden email]> wrote:

Nice!!! great job!

blog: http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd
twitter: jjdonald

Re: haxe on the iTunes AppStore

I've uploaded the EggTruck Source to:

http://staging.touchmypixel.com/eggtruck/1.0/EggTruck_source.zip

You should be able to open the flashdevelop projects, or run the cpp.hxml. It uses a jsfl script to build the layout.xml, so, open the layout.fla in flash cs4 and you can edit the level. Ths layout builder is a seperate project which is hosted on the touchmypixel googlecode repo - i'll look to getting some samples working soon.

Matt who works with us, has done some great work putting triangulation into the writer so, you can draw shapes with the pen tool, & they become box2d shapes. This project is coming along slowely, but obviously you could develop your own way to work with hxcpp + nme - this is just my approach to level layout.

The iphone project isnt included as my macbook is at home. You can basically setup a project based on Hugh's template (check gamehaxe.com) then modify the projects .hxml to have a -cp reference the src of eggtruck. You will also need to add reference to all of the assets (in xcode) - just rightclick on resources and add existing.

I hope this helps you + anyone else who is interested in iphone get a little excited! The performance is good - there are quite a few things which could be optimized (as i have been saying) so dont take this example as a reference for the platforms performance.

If you have any questions i'll be happy to help
cheers

Tony