haXe support in FDT

Bruno Fonzi
Dear haXe community,

We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen language in FDT !

We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe module to the open-source community.

Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.

As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version for free ;-)

We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.

Let's make it happen!

Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team

http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

John A. De Goes

I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.

Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?

Regards,

John

On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:

> Dear haXe community,
>
> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen language in FDT !
>
> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe module to the open-source community.
>
> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>
> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version for free ;-)
>
> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>
> Let's make it happen!
>
> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>
> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
> http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

Laurent Kappler
I fancy the $46 number, not more ... we are a lot.

Thank you for your concern,
Laurent

John A. De Goes a écrit :

> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>
> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>
> Regards,
>
> John
>
> On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:
>

>> Dear haXe community,
>>
>> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen language in FDT !
>>
>> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe module to the open-source community.
>>
>> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>>
>> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version for free ;-)
>>
>> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>>
>> Let's make it happen!
>>
>> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>>
>> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
>> http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

Laurent Kappler

46 * 3000 = $138000

I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
pureData and processing.
So you know where you shall move your market to ;)

Laurent

John A. De Goes a écrit :

> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>
> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>
> Regards,
>
> John
>
> On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:
>

>> Dear haXe community,
>>
>> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen language in FDT !
>>
>> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe module to the open-source community.
>>
>> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>>
>> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version for free ;-)
>>
>> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>>
>> Let's make it happen!
>>
>> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>>
>> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
>> http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

Tony Polinelli
Aaaah you would purchase 3000 liscences? What do you do - run a
sweatshop in india?

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Laurent Kappler
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 46 * 3000 = $138000
>
> I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
> pureData and processing.
> So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>
> Laurent
>
> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>>
>> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe
>> IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>>
>> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than
>> $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:
>>

>>> Dear haXe community,
>>>
>>> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen
>>> language in FDT !
>>> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough
>>> interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe
>>> module to the open-source community.
>>> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let
>>> me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>>>
>>> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or
>>> will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version
>>> for free ;-)
>>>
>>> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have
>>> any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>>> Let's make it happen!
>>> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
>>> http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

I'd need to be SOLD on the idea. Currently I find FlashDevelop perfectly fine, except for the lack of debug of course. It does also miss out on refactoring but I can live without that.

Are you suggesting that this would be good for only SWF haXe, or for all targets? For me to pay for this it would likely have to include:
  • Targets including: SWF, PHP, JavaScript, Neko and CPP.
  • Debug for SWF and CPP.
  • Maybe some kind of Templo integration?
I realise this is a bit of a large task, but I'm currently not sure what FDT can do for me that FlashDevelop can't (as said other than the debug and refactoring).

Anyway, thanks heaps for trying to get it in. I do agree it would be great to make sure Flash devs have no excuse not to use haXe for Flash at least. I guess you have a problem with Flex developers, and the question of how you work with assets then as well though. One thing that might sell it is good integration with SamHaXe or the the like for assets, and some simple suggested ways of using that integration for SWF, Neko and CPP. That would really make it easy for Flex people (maybe?).

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 46 * 3000 = $138000
>
> I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
> pureData and processing.
> So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>
> Laurent
>
> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>>
>> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe
>> IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>>
>> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than
>> $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:
>>

>>> Dear haXe community,
>>>
>>> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen
>>> language in FDT !
>>> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough
>>> interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe
>>> module to the open-source community.
>>> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let
>>> me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>>>
>>> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or
>>> will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version
>>> for free ;-)
>>>
>>> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have
>>> any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>>> Let's make it happen!
>>> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
>>> http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

Fei Yin
There is still a good debugger in Adobe Open Source Flex SDK named fdb . we can use it to debug swf application compiled with -debug option by haxe.
----
Best regards

Yin Fei

From Icebirds.net

Hi,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 46 * 3000 = $138000
>
> I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
> pureData and processing.
> So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>
> Laurent
>
> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>>
>> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe
>> IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>>
>> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than
>> $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:
>>

>>> Dear haXe community,
>>>
>>> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen
>>> language in FDT !
>>> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough
>>> interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe
>>> module to the open-source community.
>>> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let
>>> me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>>>
>>> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or
>>> will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version
>>> for free ;-)
>>>
>>> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have
>>> any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>>> Let's make it happen!
>>> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
>>> http://fdt4comfort.com

RE: haXe support in FDT

Michael Pliskin
Hi Bruno and all,

We here at Comapping might be interested in contributing.. Depends a lot how much work is required to make something useful - waiting for more details on that..

Mike

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: haXe support in FDT

Pimm Hogeling
Hi all,

Most haXe developers that I know of use FlashDevelop. In fact, most AS3 developers I know do, too. I've heard people describe FD as a near-perfect IDE, as it has exactly the features they need and no more. It is also free open source software. The haXe support in FD is already very useful, though it is buggy at times.

Some of those people use MacOS or GNU/Linux in their daily lives, and emulate Windows to get FD to run. I've looked into making FlashDevelop platform-independent, and though a lot of people seem interested, it is too hard to do. There seems to be a market for a cross-platform AS3 and haXe IDE.

But FDT isn't cross-platform either. It's not even free open source software. In fact, it is not even freeware. I see no reason for myself and the people I know to switch to it once it supports haXe.

Instead, we should focus on really solving the IDE problem: by developing a cross-platform, preferably free open source, IDE. Having haXe support in FDT might help some developers already using FDT to make the switch. I don't believe it "will sky rock haXe adoption".

Pimm Hogeling

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 12:59, Michael Pliskin <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Bruno and all,

We here at Comapping might be interested in contributing.. Depends a lot how much work is required to make something useful - waiting for more details on that..

Mike

Re: haXe support in FDT

John A. De Goes

FlashDevelop has no refactoring and only runs on Windows. It's only slightly better than a Windows-only text editor.

Regards,

John

Hi,

<[hidden email]> wrote:

> 46 * 3000 = $138000
>
> I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
> pureData and processing.
> So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>
> Laurent
>
> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>>
>> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe
>> IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>>
>> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than
>> $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> John
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Fonzi wrote:
>>

>>> Dear haXe community,
>>>
>>> We (FDT team) would love to make haXe become a first class citizen
>>> language in FDT !
>>> We are in the process to document a FDT SDK and if we find enough
>>> interest, support and committers, we could consider to publish the FDT haXe
>>> module to the open-source community.
>>> Anything helps, testing, documentation, coding, writing requirements, let
>>> me and Michael Plank (FDT Evangelist) know if interested helping us.
>>>
>>> As we offer FDT to Open Source projects, if you are an haXe supporter or
>>> will help to build the FDT haXe module, you will of course get a FDT version
>>> for free ;-)
>>>
>>> We believe having haXe in FDT our flash developers would no longer have
>>> any excuse and will sky rock haXe adoption.
>>> Let's make it happen!
>>> Bruno Fonzi & the FDT Powerflasher Team
>>>
>>> http://twitter.com/BrunoFonzi
>>> http://fdt4comfort.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

Juan Delgado
"It's only slightly better than a Windows-only text editor"

Have you just compared the, arguably, best AS editor in Windows with Notepad?

: )

As long as FDT goes, if full haXe support is added, good for them and
good for haXe. We are using FDT at work for AS and mostly TextMate for
haXe but would consider FDT for haXe as well.

I guess support for libs in haxelib is a must, right?

Juan

On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM, John A. De Goes <[hidden email]> wrote:

> FlashDevelop has no refactoring and only runs on Windows. It's only slightly
> better than a Windows-only text editor.
> Regards,
> John
>
> On Mar 10, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:
>
> Hi,
> I'd need to be SOLD on the idea. Currently I find FlashDevelop perfectly
> fine, except for the lack of debug of course. It does also miss out
> on refactoring but I can live without that.
> Are you suggesting that this would be good for only SWF haXe, or for all
> targets? For me to pay for this it would likely have to include:
>
> Targets including: SWF, PHP, JavaScript, Neko and CPP.
> Debug for SWF and CPP.
> Maybe some kind of Templo integration?
>
> I realise this is a bit of a large task, but I'm currently not sure what FDT
> can do for me that FlashDevelop can't (as said other than the debug and
> refactoring).
> Anyway, thanks heaps for trying to get it in. I do agree it would be great
> to make sure Flash devs have no excuse not to use haXe for Flash at least. I
> guess you have a problem with Flex developers, and the question of how you
> work with assets then as well though. One thing that might sell it is good
> integration with SamHaXe or the the like for assets, and some simple
> suggested ways of using that integration for SWF, Neko and CPP. That would
> really make it easy for Flex people (maybe?).
>
> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________
>

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> Aaaah you would purchase 3000 liscences? What do you do - run a
>> sweatshop in india?
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Laurent Kappler
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> >
>> > 46 * 3000 = $138000
>> >
>> > I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
>> > pureData and processing.
>> > So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>> >
>> > Laurent

>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org
>> >

>> --
>> Tony Polinelli
>> http://touchmypixel.com

Juan Delgado - Zárate
http://zarate.tv
http://blog.zarate.tv

Re: haXe support in FDT

John A. De Goes a écrit :

> FlashDevelop has no refactoring and only runs on Windows. It's only
> slightly better than a Windows-only text editor.

Please let's not make this thread a "my IDE is better than yours" troll.

IMHO, having wide support for haXe in all the possible IDE is the best
way to make sure that everybody can give it a try easily. period

Re: haXe support in FDT

Laurent Kappler
I wish. I think they can sell 3000 licenses in the world. I don't like
expensive software. I think we should design things in mind to give them
to the world. If you can't do that, just don't do it. There'll be
someone able too. So now it's time to make a FD and wikipedia donation :)

And also better listen the constructive talks about how to get  a proper
FDT Haxe IDE on the market than my orientade words :)
Catch ya!
Laurent

Tony Polinelli a écrit :

> Aaaah you would purchase 3000 liscences? What do you do - run a
> sweatshop in india?
>

> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Laurent Kappler
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> 46 * 3000 = $138000
>>
>> I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
>> pureData and processing.
>> So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>>
>> Laurent
>>
>> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>>
>>> I don't have any time to help but would pay $100 - 200 for a good haXe
>>> IDE. In fact, for a good enough IDE, I'd buy it for all my developers.
>>>
>>> Most casual haXe developers probably won't be able to pay more than
>>> $25-50, however. Anyone want to comment on these numbers?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> John

Re: haXe support in FDT

My two cents. Generally speaking, most users of haXe are open source
dev's. We use it because it's free, fast, easy to use and because we're
mostly sole developers. The sort of people using FDT are medium to large
development organisations.  If FDT supports haXe, then it's a win-win
situation, because it'll increase (or help to) the adoption of haXe by
larger organisations.

Lee

Juan Delgado wrote:

> "It's only slightly better than a Windows-only text editor"
>
> Have you just compared the, arguably, best AS editor in Windows with Notepad?
>
> : )
>
> As long as FDT goes, if full haXe support is added, good for them and
> good for haXe. We are using FDT at work for AS and mostly TextMate for
> haXe but would consider FDT for haXe as well.
>
> I guess support for libs in haxelib is a must, right?
>
> Juan
>
> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:54 PM, John A. De Goes <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> FlashDevelop has no refactoring and only runs on Windows. It's only slightly
>> better than a Windows-only text editor.
>> Regards,
>> John
>>
>> On Mar 10, 2010, at 9:04 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>> I'd need to be SOLD on the idea. Currently I find FlashDevelop perfectly
>> fine, except for the lack of debug of course. It does also miss out
>> on refactoring but I can live without that.
>> Are you suggesting that this would be good for only SWF haXe, or for all
>> targets? For me to pay for this it would likely have to include:
>>
>> Targets including: SWF, PHP, JavaScript, Neko and CPP.
>> Debug for SWF and CPP.
>> Maybe some kind of Templo integration?
>>
>> I realise this is a bit of a large task, but I'm currently not sure what FDT
>> can do for me that FlashDevelop can't (as said other than the debug and
>> refactoring).
>> Anyway, thanks heaps for trying to get it in. I do agree it would be great
>> to make sure Flash devs have no excuse not to use haXe for Flash at least. I
>> guess you have a problem with Flex developers, and the question of how you
>> work with assets then as well though. One thing that might sell it is good
>> integration with SamHaXe or the the like for assets, and some simple
>> suggested ways of using that integration for SWF, Neko and CPP. That would
>> really make it easy for Flex people (maybe?).
>>
>> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
>> _______________________
>>
>> Touch My Pixel
>> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
>> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
>> _______________________
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:38 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> Aaaah you would purchase 3000 liscences? What do you do - run a
>>> sweatshop in india?

>>> --
>>> Tony Polinelli
>>> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe support in FDT

The free part only works so far. Personally, my phylosophy is, if you
make money from it, you should pay towards it. Ergo, if I have something
that'll be used by students and hobbyists, I'd like them to use it for
free, but if a company wants to use it to make $$$ from Joe Public, then
they'll have to pay me to do so.

Lee

Laurent Kappler wrote:

> I wish. I think they can sell 3000 licenses in the world. I don't like
> expensive software. I think we should design things in mind to give
> them to the world. If you can't do that, just don't do it. There'll be
> someone able too. So now it's time to make a FD and wikipedia donation :)
>
> And also better listen the constructive talks about how to get  a
> proper FDT Haxe IDE on the market than my orientade words :)
> Catch ya!
> Laurent
>
> Tony Polinelli a écrit :
>> Aaaah you would purchase 3000 liscences? What do you do - run a
>> sweatshop in india?
>>

>> On Thu, Mar 11, 2010 at 3:35 PM, Laurent Kappler
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> 46 * 3000 = $138000
>>>
>>> I can code 10 years for that. Of course by then I would have move to
>>> pureData and processing.
>>> So you know where you shall move your market to ;)
>>>
>>> Laurent

Re: haXe support in FDT

John A. De Goes

Agreed. The more support we have for haXe IDEs -- even Windows-only IDEs :-) -- the better for the community. I'm inspired by the Fantom programming language, which even though it's a young language (younger than haXe), has 3-4 options for IDEs already, most as plug-ins for existing IDEs (NetBeans, Eclipse, Idea), making it very easy for outsiders to try the language. We should aspire to a similar goal for haXe.

Personally, I use TextMate since it runs on the Mac and my main incentive for using an IDE is automated refactoring, auto-complete, and real-time syntax checking.

Regards,

John

On Mar 11, 2010, at 8:06 AM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> John A. De Goes a écrit :
>> FlashDevelop has no refactoring and only runs on Windows. It's only slightly better than a Windows-only text editor.
>
> Please let's not make this thread a "my IDE is better than yours" troll.
>
> IMHO, having wide support for haXe in all the possible IDE is the best way to make sure that everybody can give it a try easily. period

Re: haXe support in FDT

wvxvw
I used FDT for some time in the AS2 days and briefly tried it some times after. I think it is a good IDE, but, it doesn't cut it for the sole developers - well, I mean the pricing. Not for me anyways...
But, me and my friend are working on a project, which is similar to BentDesigner (an MXML/XAML-like templates for AS3). It is based on Metaas (which means that at least part of our development is in Eclipse). Maybe, if we will get it going, we will try to add HaXe support as well (well, we have huge plans for it! :D). Maybe, again, if this HaXe in FDT initiative will launch, we will try to incorporate what we're doing into FDT. This is not an immediate plan or anything of that kind, but we will definitely check this if there will be such thing.
Other then that - best of luck. Hope it'll work out for you.

Best.

Oleg

Re: haXe support in FDT

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Personally I think the price is a little steep. If it is time saving as it claims, and for the few times I actually need re-factoring, I'd be happy to shell out a few hundred, maybe $300-$350, but seeing as it's only the high end version that has re-factoring it seems a little strange.

One of the problems you'll be fighting is that you're trying to get people to pay for something they're used to getting for free now, with only marginal added benefit (as I can see so far). Hence me asking for a "how is this going to benefit me". I'm all for giving people money for good products (as I've already given to FlashDevelop), just can't see why I'd move yet.

On Fri, Mar 12, 2010 at 4:48 AM, Oleg Sivokon <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Let's have HaXe on FDT !!!!!