haXe public library guidelines (draft, needs editors)

haXe public library guidelines (draft, needs editors)

Pimm Hogeling
Hi list,

Some of us have been drafting guidelines for haXe library writers. These guidelines will make public libraries easy to adopt and usable for all the haXe developers out there. Having such libraries reduces the need to “reinvent the wheel”. This allows us to bundle our powers, rather than dividing them, and ultimately makes the haXe platform better.

I invite you all to contribute using Google Docs. All your thoughts are belong in the document!

I wish you all a pleasant and productive 2011.

Re: haXe public library guidelines (draft, needs editors)

Pimm Hogeling
Hi all,

I've seen many reads on the document, which is great. I've also seen some positive chat messages, which is even more awesome.

Most guidelines in the document are ones that everyone would agree with, and most of you already live by. I would just like to point out that if there's one thing you should check out, it's the guideline currently titled "Use descriptive and standardized names". It contains naming conventions that might be controversial to some, so check that out if you have some time to spare.

On 30 December 2010 17:17, Pimm Hogeling <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi list,

Some of us have been drafting guidelines for haXe library writers. These guidelines will make public libraries easy to adopt and usable for all the haXe developers out there. Having such libraries reduces the need to “reinvent the wheel”. This allows us to bundle our powers, rather than dividing them, and ultimately makes the haXe platform better.

I invite you all to contribute using Google Docs. All your thoughts are belong in the document!

I wish you all a pleasant and productive 2011.

Re: haXe public library guidelines (draft, needs editors)

jlm@justinfront.net
Pimm

Where is the public library guidelines, I can change them so everyone uses my style? ;j

On 2 Jan 2011, at 15:43, Pimm Hogeling wrote:

[...]

Hey Justin,

The draft of the guidelines is currently on Google Docs. Feel free to edit (there's a small instruction on top of the document).

On 2 January 2011 18:38, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Seemed fairly good.

The interface stuff made me feel my editor should let me know with color when I am using an interface or class.  This leads me to the question of how to gain consistency between editors or how to push them to provide a good coverage of features on all platforms, for instance how do I port twilight theme to flash develop and what should be colored, for another instance I often use the AS3 in textmate because it colors my code better even if theoretically incorrectly. Flashdevelop has more features we should try to categories these so we can list editors by features and request features of an editor more easily, so like I could ask FDT for such and such a coding feature.  HaXe is multilanguage so we are going to maybe need features other languages don't have, we should maybe think about what these are.  For instance it would be good if the editor indicated the target compatibility of code ( can the compiler do this? ) and even provided hints, like use haxe.Timer instead of the flash one.  Also I would like to get all editors to provide an API and a haXe plugin window that allows us to develop tool in haXe that interact with our editor, so we can create tools to work with the editor such as layout tools for visual languages and say UML tools etc....  I talked briefly to the textmate guy about API but unfortunately, I had to cut the conversation short as everyone was leaving and i did not have keys.  It is important that we don't all just use one platform because the best editor only works on that platform.. well it does not seem really the haXe way, some of the developers of these editors are interested to work with us on improving, and until we actually start to document useful editor features we can't really put any pressure for editors to improve and the more we have access/control power via a haXe window the better.

Cheers

;j

On 2 Jan 2011, at 17:47, Pimm Hogeling wrote:

[...]

Michael Baczynski-2
On 02.01.2011 20:03, [hidden email] wrote:
> Ps In terms of library documentation, is Chxdoc super easy to use? Can I just haxelib install and
> then use it really easily?
yes, it is really super easy to use!

best,
michael

> Cheers
>
> ;j
>
> On 2 Jan 2011, at 18:49, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Pimm
>>
>> Seemed fairly good.
>>
>> The interface stuff made me feel my editor should let me know with color when I am using an
>> interface or class.  This leads me to the question of how to gain consistency between editors or
>> how to push them to provide a good coverage of features on all platforms, for instance how do I
>> port twilight theme to flash develop and what should be colored, for another instance I often use
>> the AS3 in textmate because it colors my code better even if theoretically incorrectly.
>> Flashdevelop has more features we should try to categories these so we can list editors by
>> features and request features of an editor more easily, so like I could ask FDT for such and such
>> a coding feature.  HaXe is multilanguage so we are going to maybe need features other languages
>> don't have, we should maybe think about what these are. *For instance it would be good if the
>> editor indicated the target compatibility of code ( can the compiler do this? ) *and even
>> provided hints, like use haxe.Timer instead of the flash one.  Also I would like to get all
>> editors to provide an API and a haXe plugin window that allows us to develop tool in haXe that
>> interact with our editor, so we can create tools to work with the editor such as layout tools for
>> visual languages and say UML tools etc....  I talked briefly to the textmate guy about API but
>> unfortunately, I had to cut the conversation short as everyone was leaving and i did not have
>> keys.  It is important that we don't all just use one platform because the best editor only works
>> on that platform.. well it does not seem really the haXe way, some of the developers of these
>> editors are interested to work with us on improving, and until we actually start to document
>> useful editor features we can't really put any pressure for editors to improve and the more we
>> have access/control power via a haXe window the better.
>>
>> Cheers
>>
>> ;j
>>

>> On 2 Jan 2011, at 17:47, Pimm Hogeling wrote:
>>
>>> Hey Justin,
>>>
>>> The draft of the guidelines is currently on Google Docs
>>> <https://docs.google.com/document/d/1048lojT5vZDKi4Kx9j_gKakGSqMvdmuq7ppvGSpFaBM/edit?hl=nl&authkey=COjCtuUO>.
>>> Feel free to edit (there's a small instruction on top of the document).
>>>
>>> On 2 January 2011 18:38, [hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]> <[hidden email]
>>> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>>>
>>>     Pimm
>>>
>>>     Where is the public library guidelines, I can change them so everyone uses my style? ;j

>>>     --
>>>     haXe - an open source web programming language
>>>     http://haxe.org

Re: haXe public library guidelines (draft, needs editors)

Ron Wheeler
On 02/01/2011 10:43 AM, Pimm Hogeling wrote:
[...]

I added a section on Stability and moved 1 thought from the previous section to the new Stability section.
I added some "Grumpy Old Man" comments about documentation - No, I do not want to read your code; I have enough of my own. Thanks.

On 3 January 2011 08:44, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added a section on Stability and moved 1 thought from the previous section to the new Stability section.

Seen it. Thanks for the contribution.

On 3 January 2011 08:44, Ron Wheeler <[hidden email]> wrote:
I added some "Grumpy Old Man" comments about documentation - No, I do not want to read your code; I have enough of my own. Thanks.

Please feel free to fit that note into the text. You're making a completely valid point there.

Re: haXe public library guidelines (draft, needs editors)

Pimm Hogeling
Some pretty cool contributions have been made, both in the form of notes and actual edits. Thanks, guys.

Keep in mind, Nothing is Sacred. Edit away.