haXe language spec

David Arno

Hi all,

A couple of weeks ago I announced plans to try and create a haXe port of the Flex SDK (http://www.davidarno.org/2011/11/14/announcing-project-flaxe-a-vision-for-the-future-of-flex/) and Nicolas Cannasse pointed me to the as3hx tool. I wish to update this tool as it currently doesn’t support all of the AS3 language. In order to do this though, I really need to better understand the haXe language. The “haXe Language Reference” wiki is good, but seems incomplete. So I am hoping that there exists a formal specification of the language that I haven’t yet found. Can anyone tell me whether such a specification exists?

Also, I wish to make some significant changes to as3hx. I think Franco Ponticelli wrote the original version and I do not wish to upset him by trampling over his code. Is Franco on this email list or could someone please let me have his email address so that I can discuss my plans with him?

Thanks very much,

David Arno.

Re: haXe language spec

Franco Ponticelli
I will be glad to push your code to the repository so feel free to connect with me whenever you want. Also consider that most of the work on that code has been made by Nicolas and Russell ... my participation was only marginal.

Franco

On Fri, Dec 2, 2011 at 6:22 AM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yeah, Franco is here. I'm sure he'll reply soon. I'm pretty sure he'd love you to have a good go at making it better though - he likes people using / fixing his stuff normally :D

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

[...]

Michael Cann
I believe "Russell Weir" <[hidden email]> has an improved version of as3hx, as I was communicating with him a month or so back about some bugs. I used his modified version the other day, it works pretty well tho its not perfect.

On 2 December 2011 13:53, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: haXe language spec

Matt Perkins
An updated version of this would be great for everyone! Especially new dev coming from AS3 (like me) in the wake of Adobes announcements. I've got a ton of AS3 code that I'd like to use.

--
Matt Perkins
-----------------

On Dec 2, 2011, at 9:12 AM, Michael Cann <[hidden email]> wrote:

[...]

Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll check with Russell to see if he’s actively working on it.

Do I take the lack of response to the request for a language spec as an indication that one doesn’t exist?

David.

[...]

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321
_______________________

[...]

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 02/12/2011 16:05, David Arno a écrit :
> Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll check with Russell to see if he’s
> actively working on it.
>
> Do I take the lack of response to the request for a language spec as an
> indication that one doesn’t exist?

There's not such a complete document, although I'm working at
documenting newest features of the language here :
http://haxe.org/manual

Maybe when working on haXe 3.0 (planned for first half of 2012) it would
be useful to work on a specification draft. Currently the compiler is
the specification.

RE: haXe language spec

David Arno
Looking at the source of haXe, it looks like the compiler itself is written
in F#. Is that correct? If so, can anyone tell me whether F# projects are
compatible with any of the Express versions of VS2010? Also how does F# get
compiled to *nix executable? I'm guessing the code is compatible with some
sort of Linux/OS X Caml compiler, but I'm not sure how similar F# and Caml
are.

David.

Le 02/12/2011 16:05, David Arno a écrit :
> Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll check with Russell to see if
> he’s actively working on it.
>
> Do I take the lack of response to the request for a language spec as
> an indication that one doesn’t exist?

There's not such a complete document, although I'm working at documenting
newest features of the language here :
http://haxe.org/manual

Maybe when working on haXe 3.0 (planned for first half of 2012) it would be
useful to work on a specification draft. Currently the compiler is the
specification.

haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: haXe language spec

blackdog

ocaml

On 12/02/2011 02:12 PM, David Arno wrote:

> Looking at the source of haXe, it looks like the compiler itself is written
> in F#. Is that correct? If so, can anyone tell me whether F# projects are
> compatible with any of the Express versions of VS2010? Also how does F# get
> compiled to *nix executable? I'm guessing the code is compatible with some
> sort of Linux/OS X Caml compiler, but I'm not sure how similar F# and Caml
> are.
>
> David.

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

RE: haXe language spec

Hi David,

No, the compiler isn't written in F#; it's written in OCaml.  There's a
build script that is in the compiler trunk that makes use of Visual Studio,
I believe.

Lee

Le 02/12/2011 16:05, David Arno a écrit :
> Thanks for the replies everyone. I’ll check with Russell to see if
> he’s actively working on it.
>
> Do I take the lack of response to the request for a language spec as
> an indication that one doesn’t exist?

There's not such a complete document, although I'm working at documenting
newest features of the language here :
http://haxe.org/manual

Maybe when working on haXe 3.0 (planned for first half of 2012) it would be
useful to work on a specification draft. Currently the compiler is the
specification.

haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

RE: haXe language spec

David Arno
Hi Lee,

Yeah I just spotted the haxe.vcproj "C++" project file that uses
make/ocamake to build the source. F# is based heavily on OCaml so it looks
like haXe might just give me the excuse I was looking for to learn F# (via
OCaml :)

Thanks,