haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Thaddeus Morgan
Hi all,

I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
template. The project I started based on the template no longer
compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
to appear as one of the project template options presented when
creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
problems would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
TM

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Thaddeus Morgan
Having spent more time with this problem, it looks like Xcode isn't
looking in the correct place for standard header files, like string.h,
wchar.h, etc. For example, when Xcode processes hxcpp.h, it claims
produces the following errors:

String.h: no such file or directory

even though I can clearly see that string.h exists in

/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.3.sdk/usr/include/

Furthermore, I can run the make file included with the iPhone template
and it builds without error. This makes me think that i need to
somehow tell Xcode to simply look in the right place to find the
header files. Does anyone know how to do this? Again, I've only had
this problem with Xcode 4, not Xcode 3.

Thanks,
TM

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
> Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
> both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
> template. The project I started based on the template no longer
> compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
> to appear as one of the project template options presented when
> creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
> problems would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> TM

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Aiham Hammami
It's explained in
http://cocoawithlove.com/2008/10/using-libxml2-for-parsing-and-xpath.html
under the heading "Setting up your project file":

"Go to the Project build settings (Project->Edit Project
Settings->Build) and find the "Search Paths". In "Header Search Paths"
add..."

I can confirm this is the location in xcode 3. I have not used xcode 4 yet.

Regards,
Aiham

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 11:11 AM, Aiham Hammami <[hidden email]> wrote:

> It's explained in
> http://cocoawithlove.com/2008/10/using-libxml2-for-parsing-and-xpath.html
> under the heading "Setting up your project file":
>
> "Go to the Project build settings (Project->Edit Project
> Settings->Build) and find the "Search Paths". In "Header Search Paths"
> add..."
>
> I can confirm this is the location in xcode 3. I have not used xcode 4 yet.
>
> Regards,
> Aiham
>
> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 10:59 AM, Thaddeus Morgan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> Having spent more time with this problem, it looks like Xcode isn't
>> looking in the correct place for standard header files, like string.h,
>> wchar.h, etc. For example, when Xcode processes hxcpp.h, it claims
>> produces the following errors:
>>
>> String.h: no such file or directory
>>
>> even though I can clearly see that string.h exists in
>>
>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.3.sdk/usr/include/
>>
>> Furthermore, I can run the make file included with the iPhone template
>> and it builds without error. This makes me think that i need to
>> somehow tell Xcode to simply look in the right place to find the
>> header files. Does anyone know how to do this? Again, I've only had
>> this problem with Xcode 4, not Xcode 3.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TM
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
>>> Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
>>> both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
>>> template. The project I started based on the template no longer
>>> compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
>>> to appear as one of the project template options presented when
>>> creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
>>> problems would be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> TM

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

oh sorry, i forgot to reply to this thread!

you probably need to edit your IPHONE_VER to 4.3 in   haxe\lib\hxcpp\2,07,0\build-tool\BuildCommon.xml

on the mac you will need to find the /lib/ i think?  basically find where programs are installed, and find the haxe files

Hope this helps

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
> Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
> both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
> template. The project I started based on the template no longer
> compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
> to appear as one of the project template options presented when
> creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
> problems would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> TM

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Paul Zirkle
In my work porting my mercury haxelib to iPhone, I'm having a vaguely similar problem-- and it seems to arise from whether the file is being compiled as C++ or Objective-C.  If the file is C++ it seems to correctly include things like STL headers, but anything derived from an ObjC file doesnt.

Maybe this is similar.

<[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
> Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
> both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
> template. The project I started based on the template no longer
> compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
> to appear as one of the project template options presented when
> creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
> problems would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> TM

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Thaddeus Morgan
Thanks, that definitely helped! The "Build Haxe" project target built
successfully after making your suggested change to:

/usr/lib/haxe/lib/hxcpp/2,07,0/build-tool/BuildCommon.xml

The next obstacle was Xcode choking on processing cstdio.h, claiming
that a bunch of symbols weren't defined. I got around this by simply
commenting out the printfs and #include <stdio.h> declaration in
Main.cpp. I'm sure there's a better way of fixing this, but I just
want to see something working at this point.

Now I'm trying to get around the fact that all the object files
included as libraries in the iPhone template were compiled for an ARM6
processor and I need to target an ARM7 processor for the iPad. I'm
digging around in haxe/lib/nme, but any suggestions for how to build
the following files for ARM7 would be great:

libfreetype.iphoneos.a
libregexp.iphoneos.a
libstd.iphoneos.a
libzlib.iphoneos.a
nme.iphoneos.a

and the equivalent *.iphonesim.a files. Thanks again for the help so far!

Slowly but surely,
TM

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> oh sorry, i forgot to reply to this thread!
>
> you probably need to edit your IPHONE_VER to 4.3 in
> haxe\lib\hxcpp\2,07,0\build-tool\BuildCommon.xml
>
> on the mac you will need to find the /lib/ i think?  basically find where
> programs are installed, and find the haxe files
>
> Hope this helps
>

> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:59 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Having spent more time with this problem, it looks like Xcode isn't
>> looking in the correct place for standard header files, like string.h,
>> wchar.h, etc. For example, when Xcode processes hxcpp.h, it claims
>> produces the following errors:
>>
>> String.h: no such file or directory
>>
>> even though I can clearly see that string.h exists in
>>

>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.3.sdk/usr/include/
>>
>> Furthermore, I can run the make file included with the iPhone template
>> and it builds without error. This makes me think that i need to
>> somehow tell Xcode to simply look in the right place to find the
>> header files. Does anyone know how to do this? Again, I've only had
>> this problem with Xcode 4, not Xcode 3.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TM
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
>> > Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
>> > both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
>> > template. The project I started based on the template no longer
>> > compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
>> > to appear as one of the project template options presented when
>> > creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
>> > problems would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > TM

> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Tony Polinelli
you might want to set the BuildCommon.xml flag from armv6 to armv7 then you will need to recompile the libs.

you recompile hxcpp with a script like:

#!/bin/bash

cd /Volumes/DEVELOPMENT/_REPOS/hxcpp/build-tool/

haxelib run hxcpp BuildCommon.xml
haxelib run hxcpp BuildCommon.xml -Diphonesim
haxelib run hxcpp BuildCommon.xml -Diphoneos

and nme with:

#!/bin/bash

cd /Volumes/DEVELOPMENT/_REPOS/nekonme/project/

haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml
haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml -Diphonesim
haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml -Diphoneos

that is where i have the SVNs downlaoded into that path- obviously change this. These are .sh bash files.  You might also need to have the 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp one - as it looks 'back' into this for files.

You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running   haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo

I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you might want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh told me ;P

cheers
Tony

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> TM
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > Hi all,
>> >
>> > I had successfully used the haXe and NME iPhone project template with
>> > Xcode 3.x detailed at http://www.gamehaxe.com. Xcode 4 and iOS 4.3,
>> > both released yesterday, seemed to break compatibility with the
>> > template. The project I started based on the template no longer
>> > compiles and, worse, I can no longer get the original project template
>> > to appear as one of the project template options presented when
>> > creating a new project. Any suggestions for fixing either of these
>> > problems would be greatly appreciated.
>> >
>> > Thanks,
>> > TM

> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Thanks, Tony. I didn't see any flag with the value armv6 in
BuildCommon.xml, but I did find and change such a flag in
iphoneos-toolchain.xml. Unfortunately, rebuilding hxcpp failed with:

haxelib run hxcpp BuildCommon.xml
Called from ? line 1
Called from BuildTool.hx line 1125
Called from BuildTool.hx line 509
Called from a C function
Called from BuildTool.hx line 538
Called from BuildTool.hx line 655
Called from BuildTool.hx line 651
Called from BuildTool.hx line 480
Uncaught exception - Could not find filegroup __main__

The same error occurred with the -Diphoneos and -Diphonesim options as
well. I'm not really sure what this error is referring to.

As for NME, rebuilding failed because it couldn't find the FreeType2
header file ft2build.h, which on my system is located at:

/Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.6.sdk/usr/X11/include/ft2build.h
/usr/X11/include/ft2build.h

Should I add an include somewhere in one of the build files?

Thanks again,
TM

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 10:45 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>>
>> and the equivalent *.iphonesim.a files. Thanks again for the help so far!
>>
>> Slowly but surely,
>> TM
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > oh sorry, i forgot to reply to this thread!
>> >
>> > you probably need to edit your IPHONE_VER to 4.3 in
>> > haxe\lib\hxcpp\2,07,0\build-tool\BuildCommon.xml
>> >
>> > on the mac you will need to find the /lib/ i think?  basically find
>> > where
>> > programs are installed, and find the haxe files
>> >
>> > Hope this helps

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com
>> >

> --
> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

the iPhone build process shouldnt be building a __main__ it should be building as a DLL that you link into

there is a line in build.xml which says something like if iPhone build as lib instead of exe, make sure thats there

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Thaddeus Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> and the equivalent *.iphonesim.a files. Thanks again for the help so far!
>>
>> Slowly but surely,
>> TM
>>
>> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:16 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>> > oh sorry, i forgot to reply to this thread!
>> >
>> > you probably need to edit your IPHONE_VER to 4.3 in
>> > haxe\lib\hxcpp\2,07,0\build-tool\BuildCommon.xml
>> >
>> > on the mac you will need to find the /lib/ i think?  basically find
>> > where
>> > programs are installed, and find the haxe files
>> >
>> > Hope this helps

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com
>> >

> --
> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

That makes sense, but I'm not sure which file you are referring to.
Can you be more specific? The BuildCommon.xml file has the following
lines:

<set name="static" value="1" if="iphoneos"/>
<set name="static" value="1" if="iphonesim"/>
<set name="LIBEXTRA" value=".iphoneos" if="iphoneos"/>
<set name="LIBEXTRA" value=".iphonesim" if="iphonesim"/>
<ext value=".iphoneos.a" if="iphoneos"/>
<ext value=".iphonesim.a" if="iphonesim"/>

Is this what you're referring to?

Thanks,
TM

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Paul Zirkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

<ext value=".iphoneos.a" if="iphoneos"/>  --- those are what i meant

are you building with -D iphoneos  or -D iphonesim on the command line?

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Thaddeus Morgan <[hidden email]> wrote:
> [...]

>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Julien CASTETS
Hi,

I think you have to type

haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml -Diphone -Diphonesim

haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml -Diphone -Diphoneos

Cheers
Julien

2011/3/11 Paul Zirkle <[hidden email]>
> [...]

>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

When I run:

haxelib run hxcpp BuildCommon.xml -Diphoneos

I get:

Called from ? line 1
Called from BuildTool.hx line 1125
Called from BuildTool.hx line 509
Called from a C function
Called from BuildTool.hx line 538
Called from BuildTool.hx line 655
Called from BuildTool.hx line 651
Called from BuildTool.hx line 480
Uncaught exception - Could not find filegroup __lib__

The same thing occurs when I use -Diphonesim instead of -Diphoneos.

Thanks,
TM

On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 1:33 AM, Paul Zirkle <[hidden email]> wrote:

> <ext value=".iphoneos.a" if="iphoneos"/>  --- those are what i meant
> are you building with -D iphoneos  or -D iphonesim on the command line?
>
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 9:39 PM, Thaddeus Morgan <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> That makes sense, but I'm not sure which file you are referring to.
>> Can you be more specific? The BuildCommon.xml file has the following
>> lines:
>>
>> <set name="static" value="1" if="iphoneos"/>
>> <set name="static" value="1" if="iphonesim"/>
>> <set name="LIBEXTRA" value=".iphoneos" if="iphoneos"/>
>> <set name="LIBEXTRA" value=".iphonesim" if="iphonesim"/>
>> <ext value=".iphoneos.a" if="iphoneos"/>
>> <ext value=".iphonesim.a" if="iphonesim"/>
>>
>> Is this what you're referring to?
>>
>> Thanks,
>> TM
>>
>> On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 12:19 AM, Paul Zirkle <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> > the iPhone build process shouldnt be building a __main__ it should be
>> > building as a DLL that you link into
>> > there is a line in build.xml which says something like if iPhone build
>> > as
>> > lib instead of exe, make sure thats there
>> >
>> > On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 8:44 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

davidedc
I have the same problem as Thaddeus using 4.3

The error is:
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/libregexp.iphoneos.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/libstd.iphoneos.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/libzlib.iphoneos.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/libregexp.iphonesim.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/libstd.iphonesim.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/libzlib.iphonesim.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/IPhoneMain.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/nme.iphoneos.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/nme.iphonesim.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)
Undefined symbols for architecture armv7:
  "_hxRunLibrary", referenced from:
      _main in Main.o
  "_nme_register_prims", referenced from:
      _main in Main.o
  "_hxcpp_set_top_of_stack", referenced from:
      _main in Main.o
ld: symbol(s) not found for architecture armv7
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I can get around it by setting the architecture as "Standard" instead of "Optimised" in the targets and project, but I don't think that would work for iPad and universal apps.

It seem that 4.3 suddenly seems to care about armv7 versions of static libs...

I'm following a couple of forums now to try to progress...

Anyone found a solution?

Cheers,
Davide

On 11 Mar 2011, at 08:59, Julien CASTETS wrote:

> [...]

>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

P.S. the nekonme compilation process doesn't seem to compile for armv7 (see extract below while compiling), so maybe tweaking that would work

/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/g++ -Iinclude -I../../sdl-static/include -c -O2 -arch armv6 -isysroot /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.3.sdk -fvisibility=hidden -fno-stack-protector -DIPHONE -DIPHONEOS -DSTATIC_LINK -I/usr/lib/haxe/lib/hxcpp/2,07,0//include -x c++ -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -frtti ./common/Geom.cpp -oobj/iphoneos//common/Geom.o

On 11 Mar 2011, at 19:40, Davide Della Casa wrote:

> [...]

>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

As Paul/Taddheus mentioned,
changing
<flag value="armv6"/>
<flag value="armv7"/>
in iphoneos-toolchain.xml does successfully produce a "nme.iphoneos.a" static library for me.

Problem is that 1) the other static libraries (zlib, regexp and std) need to undergo the same process and 2) XCode still doesn't recognise the nme library as arm 7:

ld: warning: ignoring file /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/nme.iphonesim.a, file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked (armv7)

I have triple-checked that it's the right library I'm including but it seems the right one...

Cheers,
Davide

On 11 Mar 2011, at 19:46, Davide Della Casa wrote:

> [...]

>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Besides the fact that arm7 "Optimized" code doesn't seem to work (but actually I can't say for sure whether it worked before with XCode 3 / iOS 4.2), Standard Arm6 code does work on my iPad with iOS 4.3.

Here are my settings:

a) On the Project build settings put:
Architecture: Standard (armv6 armv7)
Base SDK: Latest iOS (iOS 4.3)
Build Active Architecture Only: No
Valid architectures: armv6 i386
Target Device Family: iPhone/iPad
iOS Deployment target: iOS 4.3

b) On the Target Build Settings (for the target that isn't "Build Haxe", the other one), put the same settings as above

That worked for me.

Any info on how to get optimised arm7 to work would be great though.

Cheers,
Davide

On 11 Mar 2011, at 20:43, Davide Della Casa wrote:

> [...]

>> > 'sdl-static' googlecode repo downloaded to a folder 'next' to the hxcpp
>> > one
>> > - as it looks 'back' into this for files.
>> >
>> > You can set the 'dev' path of your haxelibs to the svn's via running
>> > haxelib dev hxcpp my/path/to/hxccpp/repo
>> >
>> > I hope this helps. I think this has come up of the list before, so you
>> > might
>> > want to do a little searching, as this is just me remembering what Hugh
>> > told
>> > me ;P
>> >
>> > cheers
>> > Tony
>> >

>> > On Fri, Mar 11, 2011 at 2:13 PM, Thaddeus Morgan
>> > <[hidden email]>

>> > --
>> > Tony Polinelli
>> > http://touchmypixel.com

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

I am currently working on the project setup for iOS.  The latest stuff
is now via the nme "install-tool" code - I have used this to set up
projects
of ipad and ipod touch.  I think I needed to use the arm6 flags instead
of "arm6 arm7", just building for arm6 instead of both.

But I have not tried 4.3 yet, so there may be some surprises there.

There is a similar pattern in android, where you can use both arm5 and
arm-7 optimised code.  I will look generating both from hxcpp, since I
think there are significant floating-point performance gains in arm7.

This will also involve builds for libstd.iphone.arm7.a I guess.
Android has a mechanism for having 2 sets of shared-objects.

> Besides the fact that arm7 "Optimized" code doesn't seem to work (but
> actually I can't say for sure whether it worked before with XCode 3 /
> iOS 4.2), Standard Arm6 code does work on my iPad with iOS 4.3.
>
> Here are my settings:
>
> a) On the Project build settings put:
> Architecture: Standard (armv6 armv7)
> Base SDK: Latest iOS (iOS 4.3)
> Build Active Architecture Only: No
> Valid architectures: armv6 i386
> Target Device Family: iPhone/iPad
> iOS Deployment target: iOS 4.3
>

> b) On the Target Build Settings (for the target that isn't "Build Haxe",
> the other one), put the same settings as above
>

> That worked for me.
>
> Any info on how to get optimised arm7 to work would be great though.
>
> Cheers,
> Davide
>

> On 11 Mar 2011, at 20:43, Davide Della Casa wrote:
>
>> As Paul/Taddheus mentioned,
>> changing
>> <flag value="armv6"/>
>> <flag value="armv7"/>
>> in iphoneos-toolchain.xml does successfully produce a "nme.iphoneos.a"
>> static library for me.
>>
>> Problem is that 1) the other static libraries (zlib, regexp and std)
>> need to undergo the same process and 2) XCode still doesn't recognise
>> the nme library as arm 7:
>>
>> ld: warning: ignoring file
>> /Users/davidedellacasa/Desktop/firstWorkingSketchesImportingJavaRegex/MakeshiftTranslator/data/inputFilesForTranslatorFolder/BubblesGAMEv25/data/XCodeProjectBubblesGAMEv25/lib/nme.iphonesim.a,
>> file was built for archive which is not the architecture being linked
>> (armv7)
>>
>> I have triple-checked that it's the right library I'm including but it
>> seems the right one...
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Davide
>>
>> On 11 Mar 2011, at 19:46, Davide Della Casa wrote:
>>
>>> P.S. the nekonme compilation process doesn't seem to compile for armv7
>>> (see extract below while compiling), so maybe tweaking that would work
>>>
>>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin/g++ -Iinclude
>>> -I../../sdl-static/include -c -O2 -arch armv6 -isysroot
>>> /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.3.sdk
>>> -fvisibility=hidden -fno-stack-protector -DIPHONE -DIPHONEOS
>>> -DSTATIC_LINK -I/usr/lib/haxe/lib/hxcpp/2,07,0//include -x c++
>>> -fvisibility-inlines-hidden -frtti ./common/Geom.cpp
>>> -oobj/iphoneos//common/Geom.o

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Thaddeus Morgan
Thanks for the notes, Davide. I tried your suggestions of switching
from armv7 to armv6. This was an improvement in the sense that the
linker only complained about the *.iphonesim.a object files not being
built for armv6, rather than complaining about both the *.iphonesim.a
and *.iphoneos.a files. Did you get the iphonesim linker warnings as
well? Did you start your project from the template available on
gamehaxe.com or from the newer version in the NME SVN? I can't figure
out how to add a project template to Xcode 4. The procedure I used in
Xcode 3 doesn't work. Do you know how to add a project template to
Xcode 4? Lots of questions! It sounds like you've been making good
progress and I'd like to catch up!

Thanks in advance,
TM

Re: haXe + iPhone development on Xcode 4 + iOS 4.3

Paul Zirkle
Hrm, so I'm just getting back into to trying to rebuild my mercury lib and I get a problem with both mercury and nme after installing XCode 4 (which also includes iPhone SDK 4.3, and which _nukes_ SDK 4.2? or at least moves it?)

/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS4.2.sdk: No such file or directory

I notice in iphoneos-toolchain.xml that this is set using the {IPHONE_VER} macro/define, but I don't see where THAT is being set..