haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

sventunus
Hi all,

As I'm still not a "true" haXe programmer and definitely don't know all the ins and outs yet, I was wondering whether there are any good component libraries for haXe?
Apart from AsWing that is. Have used AsWing for Flash since the AS2 days every now and then, and while it's ok, it's definitely far from perfect.

My main reason for asking for these kinds of libraries is that I do quite a lot of Flex work, and that I am *very* unhappy with the status and progress of the Flex 4 Spark component architecture.
It was a giant leap from Flex 3 to Flex 4, and although the philosophy behind the transition from MX to Spark definitely makes sense and will prove right in the long term, I am very disappointed with it currently. It has been taking way too long in my opinion to get the Flex 4 SDK to a mature level. It has been over 2 years since the first Gumbo release, and since then pretty fundamental things like namespaces have changed, some very important MX-components still haven't been ported to Spark (viewstack, anyone?), and a lot of components and concepts that *have* been ported to Spark and are even in the release version of the current Flex 4 SDK are still so buggy it makes my hair turn gray sometimes (virtualLayout for IList renderers behaving like s**t anyone?).

So, I find myself writing a lot of custom components, from scratch or extending from "official" SDK comps and overriding functions to get rid of the bugs.
And then I sometimes wonder: what am I actually using this Flex SDK for anyway?
Databinding for one, and - to be honest - probably a lot more things that just don't come to mind instantly when I hit yet another bug. But still... databinding isn't something I couldn't live without or that couldn't be elegantly replaced by some clever programming patterns that don't rely on the Flex SDK.
And I REALLY would love to code more in haXe!
Because of the cross-platform benefits obviously, but also because of the better compiler, the macro's, the function inlining capabilities, Neko and SPOD, etc...
And because it would be refreshing for me to become more proficient at it.

Of course I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and neither would I like to code every single component that is available in Flex from scratch in haXe just to "feel cool".
So, if there are any decent candidates out there that could provide an alternative to Flex and tempt me to code a next project in haXe instead of Flex/AS3, I'd be very happy to get to know them!
Fire away! :-)

Sven

I'm a haXe target!

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

jlm@justinfront.net
Sven

You could try these?

http://code.google.com/p/haxegui/
https://github.com/geekrelief/openpyrohx/
https://github.com/touch/PrimeVC
http://code.google.com/p/arctic/

;j

On 24 Jun 2011, at 01:17, Sven Dens wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> As I'm still not a "true" haXe programmer and definitely don't know
> all the ins and outs yet, I was wondering whether there are any good
> component libraries for haXe?
> Apart from AsWing that is. Have used AsWing for Flash since the AS2
> days every now and then, and while it's ok, it's definitely far from
> perfect.
>
> My main reason for asking for these kinds of libraries is that I do
> quite a lot of Flex work, and that I am *very* unhappy with the
> status and progress of the Flex 4 Spark component architecture.
> It was a giant leap from Flex 3 to Flex 4, and although the
> philosophy behind the transition from MX to Spark definitely makes
> sense and will prove right in the long term, I am very disappointed
> with it currently. It has been taking way too long in my opinion to
> get the Flex 4 SDK to a mature level. It has been over 2 years since
> the first Gumbo release, and since then pretty fundamental things
> like namespaces have changed, some very important MX-components
> still haven't been ported to Spark (viewstack, anyone?), and a lot
> of components and concepts that *have* been ported to Spark and are
> even in the release version of the current Flex 4 SDK are still so
> buggy it makes my hair turn gray sometimes (virtualLayout for IList
> renderers behaving like s**t anyone?).
>
> So, I find myself writing a lot of custom components, from scratch
> or extending from "official" SDK comps and overriding functions to
> get rid of the bugs.
> And then I sometimes wonder: what am I actually using this Flex SDK
> for anyway?
> Databinding for one, and - to be honest - probably a lot more things
> that just don't come to mind instantly when I hit yet another bug.
> But still... databinding isn't something I couldn't live without or
> that couldn't be elegantly replaced by some clever programming
> patterns that don't rely on the Flex SDK.
> And I REALLY would love to code more in haXe!
> Because of the cross-platform benefits obviously, but also because
> of the better compiler, the macro's, the function inlining
> capabilities, Neko and SPOD, etc...
> And because it would be refreshing for me to become more proficient
> at it.
>
> Of course I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and neither would I
> like to code every single component that is available in Flex from
> scratch in haXe just to "feel cool".
> So, if there are any decent candidates out there that could provide
> an alternative to Flex and tempt me to code a next project in haXe
> instead of Flex/AS3, I'd be very happy to get to know them!
> Fire away! :-)
>
> Sven

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

jlm@justinfront.net
primeVC was talked about in lightning talk, it looked interesting and
you don't have to use the mvc framework you can just use the
components I think, but there was another one or two at haXecon but I
forget there names.  Haxegui is very powerful, but seems complex to
setup and I did not find skinning it suitable but is fairly amazing as
you can use it with hscript.  Arctic seems smart but I don't rem if I
got it working, I like openpyro, both as3 and haxe versions but I had
to mod the port to get working, and haXe port probably needs more
development, was experimenting with parsing xml to openpyro, works in
as3 but parsing xml in haXe is harder and I got bored, skinning system
seems complex unless you just want to change colors, and think the
structure could be simpler. I normally end up making my own stuff by
hand, simple and custom, I suspect all of these are not up to the
level of flex ( not a flex user so can't be sure ), but they maybe
lighter.

On 24 Jun 2011, at 03:07, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>> programming patterns that don't rely on the Flex SDK.
>> And I REALLY would love to code more in haXe!
>> Because of the cross-platform benefits obviously, but also because
>> of the better compiler, the macro's, the function inlining
>> capabilities, Neko and SPOD, etc...
>> And because it would be refreshing for me to become more proficient
>> at it.
>>
>> Of course I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and neither would I
>> like to code every single component that is available in Flex from
>> scratch in haXe just to "feel cool".
>> So, if there are any decent candidates out there that could provide
>> an alternative to Flex and tempt me to code a next project in haXe
>> instead of Flex/AS3, I'd be very happy to get to know them!
>> Fire away! :-)
>>
>> Sven

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

Niel Drummond-3
I have also been using https://github.com/slaskis/minimalcomps to try to
get it working cross target. Unfortunately, it uses an inheritance based
approach, which has some limitations.

- Niel

On 06/24/11 03:23, [hidden email] wrote:

> [...]
>>> patterns that don't rely on the Flex SDK.
>>> And I REALLY would love to code more in haXe!
>>> Because of the cross-platform benefits obviously, but also because
>>> of the better compiler, the macro's, the function inlining
>>> capabilities, Neko and SPOD, etc...
>>> And because it would be refreshing for me to become more proficient
>>> at it.
>>>
>>> Of course I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and neither would I
>>> like to code every single component that is available in Flex from
>>> scratch in haXe just to "feel cool".
>>> So, if there are any decent candidates out there that could provide
>>> an alternative to Flex and tempt me to code a next project in haXe
>>> instead of Flex/AS3, I'd be very happy to get to know them!
>>> Fire away! :-)
>>>
>>> Sven

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

alexander.konotop
В Fri, 24 Jun 2011 03:07:42 +0200
"[hidden email]" <[hidden email]> пишет:

> [...]
> > programming patterns that don't rely on the Flex SDK.
> > And I REALLY would love to code more in haXe!
> > Because of the cross-platform benefits obviously, but also because
> > of the better compiler, the macro's, the function inlining
> > capabilities, Neko and SPOD, etc...
> > And because it would be refreshing for me to become more
> > proficient at it.
> >
> > Of course I don't want to reinvent the wheel, and neither would I
> > like to code every single component that is available in Flex from
> > scratch in haXe just to "feel cool".
> > So, if there are any decent candidates out there that could
> > provide an alternative to Flex and tempt me to code a next project
> > in haXe instead of Flex/AS3, I'd be very happy to get to know them!
> > Fire away! :-)
> >
> > Sven
> > --
> > haXe - an open source web programming language

I tried Arctic and Aswing. Arctic looks very nice and is simple to use.
Actually it's my favourite gui lib but maybe it doesn't have some
features which you need. BTW, it's quite easy to improve it.
Aswing has all batteries included. There is an early port of aswing
to haxe - so you don't need to use -swf-lib, gen-hx-classes, change file
with constants and other non-comfortable "surprises". Here is some info
http://haxe.ru/node/325 but it's in russian - maybe You'll want to use
google translate or smth like that. Here's link to the lib:
http://svn.aswing.org/aswing/trunk/haXeTest/
AsWing has a nice guibuilder which is quite comfortable to use but it
needs AIR runtime. On its site http://www.aswing.org/ there's
also available to find some info haxe version.

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

I've started adding a categorised library list at http://haxe.org/doc/libraries and started with these. Comments for each would be good on the page.

Also, please add any other libs that are useful, by category there ie tweening etc. I know this should all be haxelib but it seems to miss a lot of stuff.

I also added http://haxe.org/doc/useful_resources_ for blogs etc. Added a bunch already but would be good to see more of them, as well as other "useful resources" that don't fall into the library specific category.

2011/6/25 Alexander Konotop <[hidden email]>
> [...]

> > http://haxe.org

I tried Arctic and Aswing. Arctic looks very nice and is simple to use.
Actually it's my favourite gui lib but maybe it doesn't have some
features which you need. BTW, it's quite easy to improve it.
Aswing has all batteries included. There is an early port of aswing
to haxe - so you don't need to use -swf-lib, gen-hx-classes, change file
with constants and other non-comfortable "surprises". Here is some info
http://haxe.ru/node/325 but it's in russian - maybe You'll want to use
google translate or smth like that. Here's link to the lib:
http://svn.aswing.org/aswing/trunk/haXeTest/
AsWing has a nice guibuilder which is quite comfortable to use but it
needs AIR runtime. On its site http://www.aswing.org/ there's
also available to find some info haxe version.

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

Danny Wilson
I see you added prime.vc - now if only I could free some time and get the willpower to learn how to package stuff with haxelib :-)

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:
Hi,

> [...]

> > http://haxe.org

I tried Arctic and Aswing. Arctic looks very nice and is simple to use.
Actually it's my favourite gui lib but maybe it doesn't have some
features which you need. BTW, it's quite easy to improve it.
Aswing has all batteries included. There is an early port of aswing
to haxe - so you don't need to use -swf-lib, gen-hx-classes, change file
with constants and other non-comfortable "surprises". Here is some info
http://haxe.ru/node/325 but it's in russian - maybe You'll want to use
google translate or smth like that. Here's link to the lib:
http://svn.aswing.org/aswing/trunk/haXeTest/
AsWing has a nice guibuilder which is quite comfortable to use but it
needs AIR runtime. On its site http://www.aswing.org/ there's
also available to find some info haxe version.

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

Danny

It was in the list I posted in the other thread but maybe some others I missed, do you remember the link to the opensource project guys in Paris they had a component set mostly javascript at the moment, and a few others were working on component structures would be good to get them on the list?   Also we should add the bit-101 set that have been ported or have stubs I forget.

I don't think it's too hard haxelib instructions are here...

Any tutorials on using your components without the mvc part would also suit both me and Tarwin as I think we both share mixed emotions towards pure mvc type structures, I guess its fairly easy to use them just not made time to look.

Cheers

;j

On 26 Jun 2011, at 23:17, Danny Wilson wrote:

I see you added prime.vc - now if only I could free some time and get the willpower to learn how to package stuff with haxelib :-)

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:
Hi,

> [...]

> > http://haxe.org

I tried Arctic and Aswing. Arctic looks very nice and is simple to use.
Actually it's my favourite gui lib but maybe it doesn't have some
features which you need. BTW, it's quite easy to improve it.
Aswing has all batteries included. There is an early port of aswing
to haxe - so you don't need to use -swf-lib, gen-hx-classes, change file
with constants and other non-comfortable "surprises". Here is some info
http://haxe.ru/node/325 but it's in russian - maybe You'll want to use
google translate or smth like that. Here's link to the lib:
http://svn.aswing.org/aswing/trunk/haXeTest/
AsWing has a nice guibuilder which is quite comfortable to use but it
needs AIR runtime. On its site http://www.aswing.org/ there's
also available to find some info haxe version.

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

Wow, great info guys, thank you very much!
Am going to have a good in-depth look at them all this weekend.

Thanks again!

Sven

On Mon, Jun 27, 2011 at 12:31 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:
Hi,

> [...]

> > haXe - an open source web programming language
> > http://haxe.org

I tried Arctic and Aswing. Arctic looks very nice and is simple to use.
Actually it's my favourite gui lib but maybe it doesn't have some
features which you need. BTW, it's quite easy to improve it.
Aswing has all batteries included. There is an early port of aswing
to haxe - so you don't need to use -swf-lib, gen-hx-classes, change file
with constants and other non-comfortable "surprises". Here is some info
http://haxe.ru/node/325 but it's in russian - maybe You'll want to use
google translate or smth like that. Here's link to the lib:
http://svn.aswing.org/aswing/trunk/haXeTest/
AsWing has a nice guibuilder which is quite comfortable to use but it
needs AIR runtime. On its site http://www.aswing.org/ there's
also available to find some info haxe version.

I'm a haXe target!

Re: haXe components libs (apart from AsWing)

Baluta Cristian
Maybe you like my components, i have almost anything i need: https://ralcr.googlecode.com/svn/trunk/

On Wed, Jun 29, 2011 at 12:02 PM, Sven Dens <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer wrote:
Hi,

I've started adding a categorised library list at http://haxe.org/doc/libraries and started with these. Comments for each would be good on the page.

Also, please add any other libs that are useful, by category there ie tweening etc. I know this should all be haxelib but it seems to miss a lot of stuff.

I also added http://haxe.org/doc/useful_resources_ for blogs etc. Added a bunch already but would be good to see more of them, as well as other "useful resources" that don't fall into the library specific category.

phone: <a href="tel:%2B61%203%208060%205321" value="+61380605321" target="_blank">+61 3 8060 5321

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro