haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

cambiata
Hi!

After some struggle with red5 and java, I'm looking for a way to replace it... :-)

In my project I need the streaming media features as well as the realtime shared object possibilities.

Is haxevideo solid enough to work as a replacement for red5?
Are there any plans to expand haxevide with shared object functionality alt. join back the hxis development?

Regards / Jonas

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

Thomas-8
> After some struggle with red5 and java, I'm looking for a way to replace
> it... :-)
Go for Wowza then.

> Is haxevideo solid enough to work as a replacement for red5?
Absolutely not.

> Are there any plans to expand haxevide with shared object functionality alt.
> join back the hxis development?
Not atm, and probably never.

Playing with haxevideo was an interesting experience, but for anything
serious use Red5, and if really you need everything to work perfectly
and are on a tight schedule, then consider paying for Wowza.

I used haxevideo for a long time, then moved on to Red5. As I was
having a few annoying problems with Red5 I also ported my app to
Wowza, now my heart balances between these two. Wowza's forum
completely owns Red5's mailing-list.

--
VOD & visioconference - http://www.digiprof.tv

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

Nicolas Cannasse
>> Is haxevideo solid enough to work as a replacement for red5?
> Absolutely not.

Just a comment : haxeVideo has never been meant to be a drop-in
replacement for any other flash video server. It's mainly a proof of
reverse-engineering and RTMP protocol handling which can be used as a
base for developers that want to build their own custom technology.

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

cambiata
Thank you, Thomas and Nicolas!
This was the info I needed!

2009/11/27 Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]>
Is haxevideo solid enough to work as a replacement for red5?
Absolutely not.

Just a comment : haxeVideo has never been meant to be a drop-in replacement for any other flash video server. It's mainly a proof of reverse-engineering and RTMP protocol handling which can be used as a base for developers that want to build their own custom technology.

Med vänlig hälsning!

Jonas Nyström
[hidden email]
070-670 36 50

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

John Plsek
You're selling yourself short, Nicolas. With a little bit of work, haxeVideo is a rock solid Flash Media Server replacement. I even quite a bit of the Shared Object functionality working, enough for me. I can use my tweaked haxeVideo as a test environment for some flash player stuff I'm developing that runs in an FMS environment.

I can also use it to stream shoutcast NSVCAP video through to flash player client, in quality VP6/HE-AAC+ format - but that's another story.

It's a very well done "proof" of concept you've made.

Regards
John

John Plsek a écrit :

> You're selling yourself short, Nicolas. With a little bit of work,
> haxeVideo is a rock solid Flash Media Server replacement. I even quite a
> bit of the Shared Object functionality working, enough for me. I can use
> my tweaked haxeVideo as a test environment for some flash player stuff
> I'm developing that runs in an FMS environment.
>
> I can also use it to stream shoutcast NSVCAP video through to flash
> player client, in quality VP6/HE-AAC+ format - but that's another story.
>
> It's a very well done "proof" of concept you've made.
>
> Regards
> John

I'm very happy that people can make good use of it. Maybe some of the
haxevideo actual "real users" should teamup and work on a real FMS
competitor ? I'm fine with giving the rights on the SVN and .org website
  if there is work being done on it ;)

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

Thomas-8
> I'm very happy that people can make good use of it. Maybe some of the
> haxevideo actual "real users" should teamup and work on a real FMS
> competitor ?
The real competitors are Red5 (I have mixed feelings about it), and
Wowza with its absolutely fantastic support forum.

haxevideo would require a major rewrite in order to separate the
application code from haxevideo's code. Currently everything is
entangled in a huge spaghetti plate. I already talked about that in
the past.

--
VOD & visioconference - http://www.digiprof.tv

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

jlm@justinfront.net
Thomas

> Currently everything is
> entangled in a huge spaghetti plate.

I don't follow... so I just had a quick look through, looking at the
front end code in Samples it looks fairly straight forward, and I have
my own video classes for progressive stuff so I don't see any problems
that side I am sure what ever needed to be changed there could be.

Backend is not my field so its all completely over my head but most
looks very clean and well structured I suspect the Client class is the
only class that you could be refering to?

While I would not be at a level to take on the challenge, I am not
convinced by your second argument.

Cheers

;j

On 15 Dec 2009, at 11:07, Thomas wrote:

>> I'm very happy that people can make good use of it. Maybe some of the
>> haxevideo actual "real users" should teamup and work on a real FMS
>> competitor ?
> The real competitors are Red5 (I have mixed feelings about it), and
> Wowza with its absolutely fantastic support forum.
>
> haxevideo would require a major rewrite in order to separate the
> application code from haxevideo's code. Currently everything is
> entangled in a huge spaghetti plate. I already talked about that in
> the past.
>
> --
> VOD & visioconference - http://www.digiprof.tv

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

John Plsek
You're right, haxevideo is no drop in replacement for FMS. However, the core FMS functionality is easy to implement.

Like I said, I'm writing some (basic) video streaming / conferencing stuff in flash player - I can test at home on (modified) haxevideo, and run in production on FMS without changing a single line of code

To me, that makes haxevideo extremely useful

2009/12/15 Thomas <[hidden email]>
> I'm very happy that people can make good use of it. Maybe some of the
> haxevideo actual "real users" should teamup and work on a real FMS
> competitor ?
The real competitors are Red5 (I have mixed feelings about it), and
Wowza with its absolutely fantastic support forum.

haxevideo would require a major rewrite in order to separate the
application code from haxevideo's code. Currently everything is
entangled in a huge spaghetti plate. I already talked about that in
the past.

--
VOD & visioconference - http://www.digiprof.tv

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

go2ghana
John Plsek schrieb:
> You're right, haxevideo is no drop in replacement for FMS. However,
> the core FMS functionality is easy to implement.
>
> Like I said, I'm writing some (basic) video streaming / conferencing
> stuff in flash player - I can test at home on (modified) haxevideo,
> and run in production on FMS without changing a single line of code
Hi John,
could be interesting if you would like to share your modifications.
Cordially,
Axel

> To me, that makes haxevideo extremely useful
>
> 2009/12/15 Thomas <[hidden email] <mailto:[hidden email]>>
>
>     > I'm very happy that people can make good use of it. Maybe some
>     of the
>     > haxevideo actual "real users" should teamup and work on a real FMS
>     > competitor ?
>     The real competitors are Red5 (I have mixed feelings about it), and
>     Wowza with its absolutely fantastic support forum.
>
>     haxevideo would require a major rewrite in order to separate the
>     application code from haxevideo's code. Currently everything is
>     entangled in a huge spaghetti plate. I already talked about that in
>     the past.
>
>     --
>     VOD & visioconference - http://www.digiprof.tv
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

John Plsek
In time I will

When I'm not at work, I'm in the middle of writing a whole suite of software for my hobby ... shoutcast radio (with video) ... hence why I made the mods to stream nsvcap to flash

but rest assured, I will "publish" my modifications to haxeVideo when I get organised

Regards
John

2009/12/16 Axel Huizinga <[hidden email]>
Hi John,
could be interesting if you would like to share your modifications.
Cordially,
Axel

Re: haXe and RTMP - status of haxevideo/hxis?

Thomas-8
> Backend is not my field so its all completely over my head but most looks
> very clean and well structured I suspect the Client class is the only class
> that you could be refering to?
Yes Client.hx is where the real stuff happens. If you want to add
access control it's not easy unless you merge your code into
haxevideo's. I tried subclassing Server.hx and Client.hx but there is
still too much of copying and pasting of code which is unmaintainable.

In Red5 I was able to quickly create a functional application as the
separation of my own code and red5's code is well done.

--
VOD & visioconference - http://www.digiprof.tv