haXe 2.04 Released !

Nicolas Cannasse
Hi list,

I'm please to announce that haXe 2.04 is now available to download on
http://haxe.org ! (OSX build will have to wait for tomorrow)

The major improvements in haXe 2.04 are :

  - C++ platform support : thanks a lot to Hugh for his great work !
  - new keyword "using" (see http://tinyurl.com/ng8wbb)

This new version also comes with Neko 1.8.1 which fixes small bugs.

All changes :

  * flash9 : fixed get_full_path error with -D fdb
  * js : fixed Array.remove on IE
  * flash8 : removed extra empty AS3 tag
    (causing some issue with F8 loadMovie)
  * improved speed of Bytes unserializing (no need for BytesBuffer)
  * flash9 : bugfix, Null<Typedef> was generating dynamic code
  * flash9 : added error message in flash.Vector if used without flash 10
  * flash9 : fixed some "never" property access issues
  * all : added "never" property access support for all platforms
  * js : small syntax fix with value-blocks
  * js : fixed Type.enumEq with null values
  * js/flash8 : use &0xFF in haxe.io.Bytes.set
  * flash9 : fixed switch on Null<Int> verify error
  * flash9 : fixes related to UInt type + error when
    using Int/UInt comparison
  * as3 : improved Vector support, inline flash.Lib.as
  * as3 : bugfix with skip_constructor
  * as3 : added Enum.__constructs__ (allow Type.getEnumConstructs)
  * as3 : make all constructor parameters optional
   (allow Type.createEmptyInstance)
  * as3 : bugfix with property access inside setter (stack overflow)
  * all : Enum is now Enum<T>
  * all : added Type.createEnumIndex
  * all : forbid same name for static+instance field
   (not supported on several platforms)
  * all : renamed haxe.Http.request to "requestUrl"
  * all : renamed neko.zip.Compress/Uncompress.run to "execute"
  * spod : fix very rare issue with relations and transactions
  * compiler : added TClosure - optimize closure creation and
    ease code generation
  * cpp : added CPP platform
  * all : added 'using' syntax
  * neko : added 'domains' optional param to ThreadRemotingServer
    to answer policy-file-request
  * php : fixed php.db.Mysql so that getResult is consistent
    with Neko behavior
  * php : fixed __toString for anonymouse objects
  * php : fixed bug in overridden dynamic functions
  * php : fixed round to be consistent with other platforms
  * php : fixed bug concatenating two dynamic variables
  * php : php.Lib.rethrow now works as expected
  * flash9 : fixed bug with SWC output and recursive types
  * flash8 : fixed inversed arguments in __new__
  * neko : added neko.net.Socket.setFastSend
  * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
  * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
  * php: implemented haxe.Stack
  * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
  * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
  * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
  * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
  * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
  * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
    superclass fields)
  * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
    interfaces
  * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
  * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
  * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
  * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

Enjoy !

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Harold Brenes
Yummy! Thanks a lot for the hard work guys!

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> [...]
>  * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
>  * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
>  * php: implemented haxe.Stack
>  * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
>  * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
>  * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
>  * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
>  * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
>  * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
>    superclass fields)
>  * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
>    interfaces
>  * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
>  * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
>  * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
>  * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Congratulations to all of us! I think this is much needed.
We have a great community: many contributors, helpers and motivated individuals.
For people who still think that haXe is young, consider that this is the 25th formal release not counting the 13 informals (alfas, betas and RCs).

Franco

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Hi list,
I have submitted hxcpp version 1.0 to haxelib.
You will need this to build C++ executables, you can download it with:

haxelib install hxcpp

There is a whole lot of new stuff in there, including
Linux, Mac, Windows, iPhoneos, iPhonesim support so I would
be surprised if it ran perfectly first time.  However,
I hope it is a good starting point.

The system uses haxelib to find the include files and build,
so hopefully you should not need to configure it very much.
I will provide some much better notes soon.

Hugh

> [...]
>   * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
>   * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
>   * php: implemented haxe.Stack
>   * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
>   * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
>   * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
>   * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
>   * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
>   * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
>     superclass fields)
>   * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
>     interfaces
>   * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
>   * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
>   * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
>   * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Philipp Klose-2
If think I had this bug before with the cvs version of haXe and hxcpp.
When I try to compile on my Ubuntu I get the following error:

hippo@hippo:~/haxetest$ haxe -cpp cpp -main C
haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml haxe -Dcpp -Dhaxe_204 -Dtrue
No OSTYPE - assuming windows
cl.exe -nologo -O2 -MT -DHX_WINDOWS -GR -Zi -c -EHsc -I/usr/lib/haxe/lib/hxcpp/1,0//include -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE -wd4996 -Iinclude ./src/haxe/Log.cpp -Foobj/Release/src/haxe/Log.o
sh: cl.exe: not found

The detection of the OS seem to be not working. Last time I tried the
problem was that Ubuntu identifies as "linux-gnu" and not "linux", so
the compiler assumes that he is running on windows. In the last version
I tried, there was a makefile that I could edit, but in the current
release I don't find anything similar. Any one any idea?

Anyway nice to see how new useful features come to the language. A lot
of thanks for your work!

Hugh Sanderson schrieb:

> Hi list,
> I have submitted hxcpp version 1.0 to haxelib.
> You will need this to build C++ executables, you can download it with:
>
> haxelib install hxcpp
>
> There is a whole lot of new stuff in there, including
> Linux, Mac, Windows, iPhoneos, iPhonesim support so I would
> be surprised if it ran perfectly first time.  However,
> I hope it is a good starting point.
>
> The system uses haxelib to find the include files and build,
> so hopefully you should not need to configure it very much.
> I will provide some much better notes soon.
>
> Hugh

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Ian Liu Rodrigues
Nice changelog ;)

Congratulations to everybody!

Ian L.

Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
[...]

Heinz Hölzer-2

It's me again :)
and it's working now, after setting all path variables and figuring out
that link.exe is also a
part of cygwin. I had to append the cygwin-bin directory at the end of
the path.
So it works :)!!

Thx and great work of you guys!
woody

Hugh Sanderson schrieb:

> [...]
>>   * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
>>   * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
>>   * php: implemented haxe.Stack
>>   * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
>>   * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
>>   * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
>>   * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
>>   * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
>>   * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
>>     superclass fields)
>>   * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
>>     interfaces
>>   * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
>>   * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
>>   * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
>>   * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

tong-2
On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 18:00 +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

great release ! thx a lot to the masters !

> Enjoy !

for sure !

--
[)   |   5   |<   †   |2   3   3

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Niel Drummond-3
An impressive log, thank you!

- Niel

tong wrote:

> On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 18:00 +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>

> great release ! thx a lot to the masters !
>

>> Enjoy !
>>

> for sure !

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Baluta Cristian
great.

can we already compile for the iPhone?

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 9:57 PM, Niel Drummond <[hidden email]> wrote:
An impressive log, thank you!

- Niel

tong wrote:
On Sun, 2009-07-26 at 18:00 +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

great release ! thx a lot to the masters !

Enjoy !

for sure !

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Armén
Thank you guys, it is much appreciated.

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 18:00, Nicolas
Cannasse<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>  * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
>  * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
>  * php: implemented haxe.Stack
>  * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
>  * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
>  * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
>  * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
>  * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
>  * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
>   superclass fields)
>  * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
>   interfaces
>  * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
>  * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
>  * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
>  * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Zenko Klapko Jr.
Great work everyone! -Zenko
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 06:00:33PM +0200, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> [...]
>  * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
>  * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
>  * php: implemented haxe.Stack
>  * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
>  * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
>  * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
>  * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
>  * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
>  * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
>    superclass fields)
>  * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
>    interfaces
>  * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
>  * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
>  * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
>  * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it.
 - Thomas Jefferson

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Zjnue Brzavi
a packed release, thanks to everyone !
proudly haXing,
zjnue

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Tony Polinelli
Wow! thats a bit!

Franco - You changed the special vars prefix to » prefix instead of __ , but silly question - how do you type the » character? I thought it was an encoding issue when i was working on the files earlier ;P so i've just cut and paste

Well - time to rock out some iphone! oooh yeah!

Special Thanks to Nicolas, Hugh & Franco!

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 7:19 AM, Zjnue Brzavi <[hidden email]> wrote:
a packed release, thanks to everyone !
proudly haXing,
zjnue

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

This logic is now in BuildTool.hx
You can find it in hxcpp/build-tool.
If you make a mod and compile it, the build system will use the new logic.
Flick me a quick email and I'll fix it for the next hxcpp haxelib release,
which should be quite soon once I sort out a few of these problems.

Hugh

> If think I had this bug before with the cvs version of haXe and hxcpp.
> When I try to compile on my Ubuntu I get the following error:
>
> hippo@hippo:~/haxetest$ haxe -cpp cpp -main C
> haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml haxe -Dcpp -Dhaxe_204 -Dtrue
> No OSTYPE - assuming windows
> cl.exe -nologo -O2 -MT -DHX_WINDOWS -GR -Zi -c -EHsc
> -I/usr/lib/haxe/lib/hxcpp/1,0//include -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
> -wd4996 -Iinclude ./src/haxe/Log.cpp -Foobj/Release/src/haxe/Log.o
> sh: cl.exe: not found
>

> The detection of the OS seem to be not working. Last time I tried the
> problem was that Ubuntu identifies as "linux-gnu" and not "linux", so
> the compiler assumes that he is running on windows. In the last version
> I tried, there was a makefile that I could edit, but in the current
> release I don't find anything similar. Any one any idea?
>
> Anyway nice to see how new useful features come to the language. A lot
> of thanks for your work!
>

> Hugh Sanderson schrieb:
>> Hi list,
>> I have submitted hxcpp version 1.0 to haxelib.
>> You will need this to build C++ executables, you can download it with:
>>
>> haxelib install hxcpp
>>
>> There is a whole lot of new stuff in there, including
>> Linux, Mac, Windows, iPhoneos, iPhonesim support so I would
>> be surprised if it ran perfectly first time.  However,
>> I hope it is a good starting point.
>>
>> The system uses haxelib to find the include files and build,
>> so hopefully you should not need to configure it very much.
>> I will provide some much better notes soon.
>>
>> Hugh

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Philipp Klose-2
I changed line 549 ff into:
        var os = neko.Sys.getEnv("OSTYPE");
        if (os == null)
            os = neko.Sys.systemName();

Works fine for me. I am really impressed. Nice work!

Hugh Sanderson schrieb:

> Hi,
> This logic is now in BuildTool.hx
> You can find it in hxcpp/build-tool.
> If you make a mod and compile it, the build system will use the new
> logic.
> Flick me a quick email and I'll fix it for the next hxcpp haxelib
> release,
> which should be quite soon once I sort out a few of these problems.
>
> Hugh
>
>> If think I had this bug before with the cvs version of haXe and
>> hxcpp. When I try to compile on my Ubuntu I get the following error:
>>
>> hippo@hippo:~/haxetest$ haxe -cpp cpp -main C
>> haxelib run hxcpp Build.xml haxe -Dcpp -Dhaxe_204 -Dtrue
>> No OSTYPE - assuming windows
>> cl.exe -nologo -O2 -MT -DHX_WINDOWS -GR -Zi -c -EHsc
>> -I/usr/lib/haxe/lib/hxcpp/1,0//include -D_CRT_SECURE_NO_DEPRECATE
>> -wd4996 -Iinclude ./src/haxe/Log.cpp -Foobj/Release/src/haxe/Log.o
>> sh: cl.exe: not found
>>

>> The detection of the OS seem to be not working. Last time I tried the
>> problem was that Ubuntu identifies as "linux-gnu" and not "linux", so
>> the compiler assumes that he is running on windows. In the last
>> version I tried, there was a makefile that I could edit, but in the
>> current release I don't find anything similar. Any one any idea?
>>
>> Anyway nice to see how new useful features come to the language. A
>> lot of thanks for your work!
>>

>> Hugh Sanderson schrieb:
>>> Hi list,
>>> I have submitted hxcpp version 1.0 to haxelib.
>>> You will need this to build C++ executables, you can download it with:
>>>
>>> haxelib install hxcpp
>>>
>>> There is a whole lot of new stuff in there, including
>>> Linux, Mac, Windows, iPhoneos, iPhonesim support so I would
>>> be surprised if it ran perfectly first time.  However,
>>> I hope it is a good starting point.
>>>
>>> The system uses haxelib to find the include files and build,
>>> so hopefully you should not need to configure it very much.
>>> I will provide some much better notes soon.
>>>
>>> Hugh

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Justin Donaldson
Great work!  This has been one of the biggest releases in recent memory.   I've been a huge fan of the new "using" keyword, it's amazing how expressive it can be when used appropriately, glad to know you liked the blog post!

Best,
-Justin

On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 12:00 PM, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

PhD Candidate, Informatics
Indiana University
http://www.scwn.net
aim: iujjd

Thoughts on "using"

blackdog-2

Thanks for 2.04.

"using" seems to require that the class being used is contained in a
file of the same name. I think this is a negative point to an otherwise
great feature. The current haXe convention of multiple definitions in
one file is much, much, much better than Java's one interface, enum or
class per file - unfortunately "using" heads down the java path
and proliferates files for the compilers sake.

bd

On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 18:00:33 +0200
> [...]

>   * php: fixed String.charCodeAt
>   * php: minor optimization (removed foreach from std code)
>   * php: implemented haxe.Stack
>   * php: changed exception handler to use haXe call stack
>   * php: changed special vars to use the » prefix instead of __
>   * php: fixed use of reserved keywords for var names
>   * php: List iterator is now class based (faster)
>   * php: fixed behavior of class variables having assigned functions
>   * php: fixed php.db.Manager (was uncorrectly removing
>     superclass fields)
>   * php: added support for native Iterator and IteratorAggregate
>     interfaces
>   * all : added --display classes and --display keywords
>   * all : fixed issue with optional parameters in inline functions
>   * all : allow implementing interfaces with inline methods
>   * all : enable inlining for getter/setter/iterator/resolve/using

Re: haXe 2.04 Released !

Philipp Klose a écrit :
> I changed line 549 ff into:
>        var os = neko.Sys.getEnv("OSTYPE");
>        if (os == null)
>            os = neko.Sys.systemName();
>
> Works fine for me. I am really impressed. Nice work!

Yes, using directly neko.Sys.systemName() makes sense here.
See http://nekovm.org/doc/view/sys (sys_string)