format.tools.Deflate on haxe/cpp

clemos
Hi list

I'm trying to use hxformat to read, manipulate and write PNG files in
cpp, to see how the performance is better on CPP than on Neko (it's
pixel to pixel manipulation, more or less a software pixel-bender...)
Unfortunately, the format.tools.Deflate class is empty in CPP.
In neko, this class relies on neko.zip.Compress, which equivalent
doesn't exists in cpp (only Uncompress exists).

Are there any plans to implement Deflate/Compress in CPP ?
Is there any workaround to this limitation ?

Thanks for the great tools anyway!
+++++++
Clément

Re: format.tools.Deflate on haxe/cpp

There are plans for it.  Infact, I think most of the work is done
so far as the library cffi code (eg, deflate_init is implemented),
it's just missing the haxe file.  And as you may guess, it's completely
untested.  You could try copying the neko Compress.x file - you
might get away with only a few trivial changes.
But then again, it might be more that that because it's not tests.
I intend to get to it eventually - not too sure when.

Hugh

> Hi list
>
> I'm trying to use hxformat to read, manipulate and write PNG files in
> cpp, to see how the performance is better on CPP than on Neko (it's
> pixel to pixel manipulation, more or less a software pixel-bender...)
> Unfortunately, the format.tools.Deflate class is empty in CPP.
> In neko, this class relies on neko.zip.Compress, which equivalent
> doesn't exists in cpp (only Uncompress exists).
>
> Are there any plans to implement Deflate/Compress in CPP ?
> Is there any workaround to this limitation ?
>
> Thanks for the great tools anyway!
> +++++++
> Clément

Re: format.tools.Deflate on haxe/cpp

clemos
Hi Hugh

Thanks for the suggestion.
I've copied Compress.hx and made a few changes (well... replace 'neko'
with 'cpp' ...)
It now throws "Compression failed".
I don't understand much about both cpp, zlib, rtti and stuff, but it
looks like the object returned by Compress.execute has its "done"
parameter set to false...

I'd be happy to help more if I could...
+++++++
Clément

On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 12:59 PM, Hugh Sanderson <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> There are plans for it.  Infact, I think most of the work is done
> so far as the library cffi code (eg, deflate_init is implemented),
> it's just missing the haxe file.  And as you may guess, it's completely
> untested.  You could try copying the neko Compress.x file - you
> might get away with only a few trivial changes.
> But then again, it might be more that that because it's not tests.
> I intend to get to it eventually - not too sure when.
>
> Hugh
>
>> Hi list
>>
>> I'm trying to use hxformat to read, manipulate and write PNG files in
>> cpp, to see how the performance is better on CPP than on Neko (it's
>> pixel to pixel manipulation, more or less a software pixel-bender...)
>> Unfortunately, the format.tools.Deflate class is empty in CPP.
>> In neko, this class relies on neko.zip.Compress, which equivalent
>> doesn't exists in cpp (only Uncompress exists).
>>
>> Are there any plans to implement Deflate/Compress in CPP ?
>> Is there any workaround to this limitation ?
>>
>> Thanks for the great tools anyway!
>> +++++++
>> Clément

Re: format.tools.Deflate on haxe/cpp

clemos
Hi again

Sorry for bringing it back again...

To simplify the problem :
Is there an alternative way to write image files with haXe/CPP ?

+++++++
Clément