flash/javascript demo and a question

Jon Sully
Hi all,

I wrote a little demo in haxe for use on my CV. It's a laser simulation game. You can view it here: http://sul.ly/laser/

I haven't optimised it that much, not at all on flash, and I havn't tested it on a lot of machines or browsers yet, so be gentle. :) I developed it on the latest Firefox so it in the least should work on that.

Anyway, my question is this: I want to get loading and saving working across both targets. I've tried using the IO libraries from caffeine-hx (there isn't a readFloat/writeFloat for javascript in haxe std yet) but obviously that doesn't really work too well. I figured I'd open up the question of how possible this is to people who know a bit more about browser/flash internals than I do.

Any ideas?

Re: flash/javascript demo and a question

Baluta Cristian
Cool idea, how would you like to save the data? i'd use the third target, php.
in flash you have a bug for dragging the stage, you need to attach the mouse_up event to the stage not to objects.

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 1:14 AM, Jon Sully <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi all,

I wrote a little demo in haxe for use on my CV. It's a laser simulation game. You can view it here: http://sul.ly/laser/

I haven't optimised it that much, not at all on flash, and I havn't tested it on a lot of machines or browsers yet, so be gentle. :) I developed it on the latest Firefox so it in the least should work on that.

Anyway, my question is this: I want to get loading and saving working across both targets. I've tried using the IO libraries from caffeine-hx (there isn't a readFloat/writeFloat for javascript in haxe std yet) but obviously that doesn't really work too well. I figured I'd open up the question of how possible this is to people who know a bit more about browser/flash internals than I do.

Any ideas?

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: flash/javascript demo and a question

Jason O'Neil-2
Hi Jon

Cool demo!  I just wasted about half an hour :)  I'm pretty impressed with the speed of the javascript version especially.

What sort of loading / saving are you trying to achieve?  I haven't really done much with caffiene-hx yet, but if you're talking about saving to the server side as Baluta suggested, using haxe remoting is a good idea.  Here's a previous post that might be helpful:

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Remoting-Proxy-with-php-td4923468.html

If you're talking about syncing the javascript and the flash versions, so that changes in one affect the other, remoting is also useful for that.  See:

http://haxe.org/doc/remoting/0_introduction

If you're talking about some kind of client-side persistant storage, I guess I'm not much help, hopefully someone else will know though :)

Jason

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 6:14 AM, Jon Sully <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks for the kind words Jason :)

I finally got saving working for this. You can view it here: http://sul.ly/laser/www/

The backend is also written in haxe of course. :) (using Apache and mod_neko)