--display public completions

David Peek-2
Hi list,

Just wondering if there's a way to filter the fields return by --display to only public fields? I've written an autocompletion plugin for sublime text 2 (which is mind-blowingly awesome, btw) but it currently includes private fields too, which feels a bit broken. Considered doing something crazy like generating xml types and doing a lookup but I'm a little bit new to python. Maybe next week :P

I'm guessing the answer is no, it returns all fields. If so, how do FlashDevelop users feel about this (I'm guessing FD uses --display for completions)? Desired behaviour? Indifferent?

Will share the plugin as soon as it's ready. I think Sublime (although not free) is a real candidate for a great cross platform HaXe IDE :) Will hopefully cure the FlashDevelop envy I've been feeling :P

Cheers,
dp

Re: --display public completions

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 09/07/2011 15:06, David Peek a écrit :
> Hi list,
>
> Just wondering if there's a way to filter the fields return by --display to only public fields? I've written an autocompletion plugin for sublime text 2 (which is mind-blowingly awesome, btw) but it currently includes private fields too, which feels a bit broken. Considered doing something crazy like generating xml types and doing a lookup but I'm a little bit new to python. Maybe next week :P

If I remember correctly, --display should only return the "accesible"
fields. Which means that you'll get the private fields only if you're in
the class you're auto-completing.

Re: --display public completions

David Peek-2
Hi Nicolas,

But of course, that's how it's should work! That's what I get for only doing one test case over and over, which was a:
this.<autocomplete>

While you're here, have you ever considered adding other developer features to the compiler? One I've been thinking about is a "goto definition" helper, which would return a path and start/end index for a given type. Would mean I could select any method/class/property and go to the file where it is defined.

Is such a thing feasible?

Cheers,
David

On 09/07/2011, at 11:13 PM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 09/07/2011 15:06, David Peek a écrit :
>> Hi list,
>>
>> Just wondering if there's a way to filter the fields return by --display to only public fields? I've written an autocompletion plugin for sublime text 2 (which is mind-blowingly awesome, btw) but it currently includes private fields too, which feels a bit broken. Considered doing something crazy like generating xml types and doing a lookup but I'm a little bit new to python. Maybe next week :P
>
> If I remember correctly, --display should only return the "accesible" fields. Which means that you'll get the private fields only if you're in the class you're auto-completing.

Re: --display public completions

postite
wow ...
i've just twitted the wish to have a haxe plugin for sublimeText and here you go ....

very impatient to see the result ...

Dav( postite on twitter)..

Le 09/07/2011 15:24, David Peek a écrit :
> Hi Nicolas,
>
> But of course, that's how it's should work! That's what I get for only doing one test case over and over, which was a:
> this.<autocomplete>
>
> While you're here, have you ever considered adding other developer features to the compiler? One I've been thinking about is a "goto definition" helper, which would return a path and start/end index for a given type. Would mean I could select any method/class/property and go to the file where it is defined.
>
> Is such a thing feasible?

It is, but I think it's not very hard to do within an IDE, compared to
autocompletion which requires all haXe type inference and type system
emulation.

Re: --display public completions

David Peek-2
Oh well, worth a try :)

Have you tried Sublime Text? We've been looking for a cross platform HaXe IDE for a while and it looks like Sublime might be it. I've spent the day trying to write a plugin in python, not a language I've used very much. It builds and autocompletes beautifully, but some desirable features are probably out of my pythony reach :)

Could I use the macro system to get information about the AST out to my plugin? I don't think I understand macros enough to know if that's even possible..

Cheers,
David

On 10/07/2011, at 12:11 AM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 09/07/2011 15:24, David Peek a écrit :
>> Hi Nicolas,
>>
>> But of course, that's how it's should work! That's what I get for only doing one test case over and over, which was a:
>> this.<autocomplete>
>>
>> While you're here, have you ever considered adding other developer features to the compiler? One I've been thinking about is a "goto definition" helper, which would return a path and start/end index for a given type. Would mean I could select any method/class/property and go to the file where it is defined.
>>
>> Is such a thing feasible?
>
> It is, but I think it's not very hard to do within an IDE, compared to autocompletion which requires all haXe type inference and type system emulation.
>
> Best,

Re: --display public completions

clemos
Hi David,

Just a word to say I also really look forward to your Sublime Text
haXe plugin very much, and would totally give it a try.
I've been trying to work with EcliHx for a while, but I just can't
take the whole Eclipse thing anymore...
We definitely need something lightweight and easy to hack, and Sublime
looks promising, not to mention it's completely cross-platform.
Even though I'm no Python expert either, I'd love to help as well.

Cheers,
Clément

On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM, David Peek
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Oh well, worth a try :)
>
> Have you tried Sublime Text? We've been looking for a cross platform HaXe IDE for a while and it looks like Sublime might be it. I've spent the day trying to write a plugin in python, not a language I've used very much. It builds and autocompletes beautifully, but some desirable features are probably out of my pythony reach :)
>
> Could I use the macro system to get information about the AST out to my plugin? I don't think I understand macros enough to know if that's even possible..
>
> Cheers,
> David
>
> On 10/07/2011, at 12:11 AM, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>
>> Le 09/07/2011 15:24, David Peek a écrit :
>>> Hi Nicolas,
>>>
>>> But of course, that's how it's should work! That's what I get for only doing one test case over and over, which was a:
>>> this.<autocomplete>
>>>
>>> While you're here, have you ever considered adding other developer features to the compiler? One I've been thinking about is a "goto definition" helper, which would return a path and start/end index for a given type. Would mean I could select any method/class/property and go to the file where it is defined.
>>>
>>> Is such a thing feasible?
>>
>> It is, but I think it's not very hard to do within an IDE, compared to autocompletion which requires all haXe type inference and type system emulation.
>>
>> Best,
>> Nicolas

Re: --display public completions

blackdog

Don't discount emacs, it requires customization, but once learned is
very difficult to beat, i tried sublime but the only innovation over
emacs is the microview thing as as far as i can see. If you havent'
tried emacs for a while it comes with a gtk interface now, so it much
better integrated into the desktop.

I have an emacs haxe completion here

github.com/cloudshift

bd

On 07/10/2011 09:17 AM, clemos wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> Just a word to say I also really look forward to your Sublime Text
> haXe plugin very much, and would totally give it a try.
> I've been trying to work with EcliHx for a while, but I just can't
> take the whole Eclipse thing anymore...
> We definitely need something lightweight and easy to hack, and Sublime
> looks promising, not to mention it's completely cross-platform.
> Even though I'm no Python expert either, I'd love to help as well.
>
> Cheers,
> Clément
>
> On Sat, Jul 9, 2011 at 4:49 PM, David Peek
> <[hidden email]>  wrote:
>> Oh well, worth a try :)
>>
>> Have you tried Sublime Text? We've been looking for a cross platform HaXe IDE for a while and it looks like Sublime might be it. I've spent the day trying to write a plugin in python, not a language I've used very much. It builds and autocompletes beautifully, but some desirable features are probably out of my pythony reach :)
>>
>> Could I use the macro system to get information about the AST out to my plugin? I don't think I understand macros enough to know if that's even possible..
>>
>> Cheers,
>> David

>>> It is, but I think it's not very hard to do within an IDE, compared to autocompletion which requires all haXe type inference and type system emulation.
>>>
>>> Best,
>>> Nicolas

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: --display public completions

Elsass Philippe
I'm a big fan of SublimeText too and it's great to hear it's possible
to implement some code completion support with its plugin system -
can't wait to try it!

@blackdog one day I'll have the guts (and time) to go through the
entire Emacs tutorial... ;)

Re: --display public completions

Missile Mike
Hi David:

Did you ever happen to get this working?  It's a really cool editor...

Thanks!
Mike

Re: --display public completions

rammserker
I've managed to make some plugins in Python... Do you need help with this? I didn't tried Sublime Text until now, and is pretty good. I'm feeling enthusiastic about making a plugin... If you can't make it, I will try that task ;)

Max
0 1 0 | 0 0 1 | 1 1 1

Re: --display public completions

Missile Mike
If you want to do it for yourself and share, that's cool, but please don't do it on my account.  I wonder if David Peek finished his.

It's a great text editor.

Re: --display public completions

rammserker
I mean David's plugin... I can help with it ;)

Ooor... start a plugin myself. I will see. Very stressed this week ¬¬ But next, can help or start to make one by myself.

Max
0 1 0 | 0 0 1 | 1 1 1