compile to swf without movieclip

Chris Ochs
I'm playing around with neko/haxe for the first time.  We have an
existing system based on tamarin for running server side actionscript,
and I want to test that swf's generated by haxe work for tamarin.
Swf's generated by the most recent flex releaes do not.  I think it's
some versioning of bytecode that's off but haven't found out where.
In any case, is there a way to compile to swf and not have the main
class inherit from movieclip?  Or should I just create a mock of
movieclip?

Chris

Re: compile to swf without movieclip

Baluta Cristian
internally the main class extends flash.Boot which extends MovieClip. if were possible do you think will work with tamarin? i don't know either what tamarin is.

On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm not too familiar with Tamarin, but in haXe the static entry point is static public function main() - so you don't have to instantiate a MovieClip.  But I'm not sure how it works internally.

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Chris Ochs <[hidden email]> wrote:
I'm playing around with neko/haxe for the first time.  We have an
existing system based on tamarin for running server side actionscript,
and I want to test that swf's generated by haxe work for tamarin.
Swf's generated by the most recent flex releaes do not.  I think it's
some versioning of bytecode that's off but haven't found out where.
In any case, is there a way to compile to swf and not have the main
class inherit from movieclip?  Or should I just create a mock of
movieclip?

Chris

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: compile to swf without movieclip

Chris Ochs
On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:34 PM, Alex Liebert
<[hidden email]> wrote:
> I'm not too familiar with Tamarin, but in haXe the static entry point is
> static public function main() - so you don't have to instantiate a
> MovieClip.  But I'm not sure how it works internally.

Looks like haxe is adding references to movieclip and a few other
classes that are in the flash player but not in tamarin.  No biggie,
was just curious if it would work.  I'm more interested in going the
other way around, taking our as3 code and running it on neko.  But we
have some native extensions to tamarin I need to abstract out and port
over to neko first.

Chris

> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Chris Ochs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> I'm playing around with neko/haxe for the first time.  We have an
>> existing system based on tamarin for running server side actionscript,
>> and I want to test that swf's generated by haxe work for tamarin.
>> Swf's generated by the most recent flex releaes do not.  I think it's
>> some versioning of bytecode that's off but haven't found out where.
>> In any case, is there a way to compile to swf and not have the main
>> class inherit from movieclip?  Or should I just create a mock of
>> movieclip?
>>
>> Chris

Re: compile to swf without movieclip

Chris Ochs
Tamarin is the vm for flash player.  We use it for a bunch of server
side actionscript stuff.  The main drawback is that it doesn't come
with most everything that's in the flash package, just a few bits and
pieces like Dictionary and ByteArray.

Chris

On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:42 PM, Baluta Cristian
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> internally the main class extends flash.Boot which extends MovieClip. if
> were possible do you think will work with tamarin? i don't know either what
> tamarin is.
>
> On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 8:34 AM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I'm not too familiar with Tamarin, but in haXe the static entry point is
>> static public function main() - so you don't have to instantiate a
>> MovieClip.  But I'm not sure how it works internally.
>>
>> On Sun, Jun 19, 2011 at 10:24 PM, Chris Ochs <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> I'm playing around with neko/haxe for the first time.  We have an
>>> existing system based on tamarin for running server side actionscript,
>>> and I want to test that swf's generated by haxe work for tamarin.
>>> Swf's generated by the most recent flex releaes do not.  I think it's
>>> some versioning of bytecode that's off but haven't found out where.
>>> In any case, is there a way to compile to swf and not have the main
>>> class inherit from movieclip?  Or should I just create a mock of
>>> movieclip?
>>>
>>> Chris

> Băluță Cristian
> http://ralcr.com
> http://imagin.ro

Re: compile to swf without movieclip

Greg Dove
I did a quick decompile of a haxe swf for something I am currently working on.
My project's main class extends flash.display.Sprite but this is added as a display object child to a flash.Boot subclass (which extends MovieClip) and it is this Boot subclass which calls the static main() method of of the main class in my project (after some initialization of haxe classes (Math etc) and what looks like a delay to ensure availability of the flash stage refererence etc).