community meeting

Franco Ponticelli
Hello List,
the meeting is getting closer ... I'd like to hear from you in general, and especially from the participants, in what kind of talk/activities you are interested.
Please don't be shy and let us hear your voice ;)

Franco

Re: community meeting

tom rhodes
Hi Franco,

as someone who's not going to be involved what i'd like to see is all the material presented online somewhere in whatever form so we can all get at the info afterwards.

cheers,

tom.

On 3 March 2011 11:21, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello List,
the meeting is getting closer ... I'd like to hear from you in general, and especially from the participants, in what kind of talk/activities you are interested.
Please don't be shy and let us hear your voice ;)

Franco

Re: community meeting

Trevor Burton
Franco,

I'd like to see something about workflow - some examples of how you can get setup for developing with haxe for different targets on different platforms, an overview of some of the IDEs available, plugins, maybe some personal, anecdotal stuff about which tools people prefer. compiling for multiple targets in the same project, testing, continuous integration etc. etc.

At the moment i'm looking into all this stuff myself and having an experienced haxer talking about how they do it would be very informative.

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes sure, but what would you like to see? ;)

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Franco,

as someone who's not going to be involved what i'd like to see is all the material presented online somewhere in whatever form so we can all get at the info afterwards.

cheers,

tom.

On 3 March 2011 11:21, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello List,
the meeting is getting closer ... I'd like to hear from you in general, and especially from the participants, in what kind of talk/activities you are interested.
Please don't be shy and let us hear your voice ;)

Franco

---------------------------
Trevor Burton

Re: community meeting

graham
Agree with Trevor, it would be really useful to know how those who are
in the "know" have their system set up for Haxe development - like
Trevor, I am just getting my self set up so I can comfortably develop in
Haxe, and it's been a lot of searching around an looking on the archive
of this mailing list to see if I can get things right, so it would be
great to have it all in one place, to make it a little easier for new
comers to get up and running quicker.

cheers
graham

On Thu, 2011-03-03 at 11:16 +0000, Trevor Burton wrote:

> Franco,
>
> I'd like to see something about workflow - some examples of how you
> can get setup for developing with haxe for different targets on
> different platforms, an overview of some of the IDEs available,
> plugins, maybe some personal, anecdotal stuff about which tools people
> prefer. compiling for multiple targets in the same project, testing,
> continuous integration etc. etc.
>
> At the moment i'm looking into all this stuff myself and having an
> experienced haxer talking about how they do it would be very
> informative.

> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:38 AM, Franco Ponticelli
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>         Yes sure, but what would you like to see? ;)
>

>         On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, tom rhodes
>         <[hidden email]> wrote:
>                 Hi Franco,
>

>                 as someone who's not going to be involved what i'd
>                 like to see is all the material presented online
>                 somewhere in whatever form so we can all get at the
>                 info afterwards.
>

>                 cheers,
>

>                 tom.
>

>                 On 3 March 2011 11:21, Franco Ponticelli
>                 <[hidden email]> wrote:
>

>                         Hello List,
>                         the meeting is getting closer ... I'd like to
>                         hear from you in general, and especially from
>                         the participants, in what kind of
>                         talk/activities you are interested.
>                         Please don't be shy and let us hear your
>                         voice ;)
>

>                         Franco
>

>                         --
>                         haXe - an open source web programming language
>                         http://haxe.org
>

>         --
>         haXe - an open source web programming language
>         http://haxe.org
>

> --
> ---------------------------
> Trevor Burton

------------------------
Open Sussex :: FLOSS (Free / Libre Open Source Software) Development,
Web Development, Backend Development, Bespoke Software Development, Open
Source Consultancy :: www.opensussex.net :: www.twitter.com/opensussex

Re: community meeting

Trevor Burton
Also, with the popularity and proliferation of 'mobile' (and tablet) devices it would be great to see something for using Haxe to target those platforms, i think we're all aware of the technical issues/limitations around generally developing for less powerful devices, smaller screens etc. but something haxe-specific would be great... this is an area where haxe could really help make life easier for developers so would be good to show it off

------------------------
Open Sussex :: FLOSS (Free / Libre Open Source Software) Development,
Web Development, Backend Development, Bespoke Software Development, Open
Source Consultancy :: www.opensussex.net :: www.twitter.com/opensussex

---------------------------
Trevor Burton

Re: community meeting

tom rhodes
eheh. EVERYTHING.

i'd like some simple examples of something usefull (old classics like a video player, slideshow etc) that compiles to JS, flash and cpp. or even just best practices to hit as many platforms as possible. i'd like to see some remoting/multiuser stuff using neko. more info on neko in general. really interested in using cpp to make stuff for devices, so something that hits flash for web and compiles to iOS and android would be wicked. also some of the discussions on here about templating, hss have been interesting!

i'm up for learning as much as possible about how you guys are using haxe, it's really a good experience learning haxe on your own and working things out but i'm pretty sure that's also how bad habits develop ;)

On 3 March 2011 11:38, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Yes sure, but what would you like to see? ;)

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 10:33 AM, tom rhodes <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Franco,

as someone who's not going to be involved what i'd like to see is all the material presented online somewhere in whatever form so we can all get at the info afterwards.

cheers,

tom.

On 3 March 2011 11:21, Franco Ponticelli <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hello List,
the meeting is getting closer ... I'd like to hear from you in general, and especially from the participants, in what kind of talk/activities you are interested.
Please don't be shy and let us hear your voice ;)

Franco

Re: community meeting

basvanmeurs
Here are some of my ideas.

Better documentation on the new features, such as macros.

A Haxe 'showcase', which may be as simple as a list of hyperlinks, to show how Haxe can be used and what it is capable of.

A clear definition of the future direction and features of the Haxe language (for example: is implementing interface supported or not? What are the differences between the targets and is it really a problem?). In my opinion Haxe shines most as a compiler for weakly-typed languages such as Javascript and Php. It is more important to make these targets more serious than targeting Java and C#, as those languages already has very advanced OO-features.

The PHP target in itself is great for example. I'm sure that tons of professional php programmers would get very excited to learn that there is a possibility to work with generics and other advanced OO concepts, but right now there is no solid foundation other than the compiler itself. It would be good to have a website with examples, documentation, the api and a discussion board.

More information on the website, especially in the API. Often boundary conditions are not described well (i.e., what will happen when input is incorrect? will null be returned or will there be an exception?), and the api could use some examples.

Haxelib. Although the idea is nice, it is difficult to work with. It's great to have a central repository, but I feel that there should be a web interface and some clear documentation.

How can we contribute? For example: add info to the API, where can we find the repository, how can we post bugs other than on the mailing list, etc?

It would be nice to have a meeting in real life with all the Haxe enthousiasts someday!

Regards,
Bas

Re: community meeting

Tiana RAZAFINDRALAMBO

It would be great and so instructive to see how you guyz manage your projects with haXe, especially when you're targeting multiplatform in only one project.
I also would like to see how to deploy a neko server and some remoting/multiuser stuff using neko, and some project targeting mobiles (or tablet?) platform.
More about macros, may be with some concrete examples in real projects.

--
RAZAFINDRALAMBO Tiana

Re: community meeting

Paul Zirkle
I think people have already suggested the things I want to hear about:

* development environment for cross platform projects
* real-time networking (specifically for games-- UDP is a must, etc)
* mobile targets (iPhone, Android)

Since I decided to write mercury instead of using NME for IOS, due to performance; I'd like to hear how others' experiences are on IOS for real-time interactive applications.

-Paul Zirkle

On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:14 AM, Tiana RAZAFINDRALAMBO <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

It would be great and so instructive to see how you guyz manage your projects with haXe, especially when you're targeting multiplatform in only one project.
I also would like to see how to deploy a neko server and some remoting/multiuser stuff using neko, and some project targeting mobiles (or tablet?) platform.
More about macros, may be with some concrete examples in real projects.

--
RAZAFINDRALAMBO Tiana

Re: community meeting

Trevor

As far as I am aware there is not much production mobile haXe, the one I know about in Tony/Tarwin's

So there are only a few names that can really advise and there probably still learning, so it would be excellent if there was some tutorial/videos for the meeting, but it's a tall order on the few that are using it, just saying.

------------------------
Open Sussex :: FLOSS (Free / Libre Open Source Software) Development,
Web Development, Backend Development, Bespoke Software Development, Open
Source Consultancy :: www.opensussex.net :: www.twitter.com/opensussex

---------------------------
Trevor Burton

Re: community meeting

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Holy cow, we're ranked 30731 of 42043 !!! Haha !!!

I know there's a guy in San Fransisco doing Palm stuff as well, think he has a few games out already.

------------------------
Open Sussex :: FLOSS (Free / Libre Open Source Software) Development,
Web Development, Backend Development, Bespoke Software Development, Open
Source Consultancy :: www.opensussex.net :: www.twitter.com/opensussex

---------------------------
Trevor Burton

Re: community meeting

singmajesty
I have four haXe-based games in the Palm App Catalog.

The first was a technical demo to get haXe working for webOS, and to make
sure I could get applications approved. It's a modified version of the
Physaxe test bed. I also created a hexagonal Minesweeper game, a physics
and accelerometer based basketball game and a whack-a-mole game.

I even had a complex RPG/real-time action game running in Facebook and on
the phone, but the company I was working with asked me to convert it back
to AS3. What a shame :)

On Thu, 03 Mar 2011 13:58:40 -0800, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Holy cow, we're ranked 30731 of 42043 !!! Haha !!!
>
> I know there's a guy in San Fransisco doing Palm stuff as well, think he
> has
> a few games out already.
>

> Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
> _______________________
>
> Touch My Pixel
> http://www.touchmypixel.com/
> phone: +61 3 8060 5321
> _______________________
>

> On Fri, Mar 4, 2011 at 7:16 AM, [hidden email]
> <[hidden email]>wrote:
>
>> Trevor
>>
>> As far as I am aware there is not much production mobile haXe, the one I
>> know about in Tony/Tarwin's
>> http://www.gamespot.com/iphone/action/eggtruck/index.html
>>
>> So there are only a few names that can really advise and there probably
>> still learning, so it would be excellent if there was some
>> tutorial/videos
>> for the meeting, but it's a tall order on the few that are using it,
>> just
>> saying.
>>

>> On 3 Mar 2011, at 12:45, Trevor Burton wrote:
>>
>> Also, with the popularity and proliferation of 'mobile' (and tablet)
>> devices it would be great to see something for using Haxe to target
>> those
>> platforms, i think we're all aware of the technical issues/limitations
>> around generally developing for less powerful devices, smaller screens
>> etc.
>> but something haxe-specific would be great... this is an area where haxe
>> could really help make life easier for developers so would be good to
>> show
>> it off

>> On Thu, Mar 3, 2011 at 11:21 AM, graham <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Agree with Trevor, it would be really useful to know how those who are
>>> in the "know" have their system set up for Haxe development - like
>>> Trevor, I am just getting my self set up so I can comfortably develop
>>> in
>>> Haxe, and it's been a lot of searching around an looking on the archive
>>> of this mailing list to see if I can get things right, so it would be
>>> great to have it all in one place, to make it a little easier for new
>>> comers to get up and running quicker.
>>>
>>> cheers
>>> graham

>>> people

>>> language

>>> --
>>> ------------------------
>>> Open Sussex :: FLOSS (Free / Libre Open Source Software) Development,
>>> Web Development, Backend Development, Bespoke Software Development,
>>> Open
>>> Source Consultancy :: www.opensussex.net :: www.twitter.com/opensussex

>> Trevor Burton

re: community meeting

Raoul Duke
please video tape? i don't know french (any more, j'oublie tout
including conjugation and spelling and grammar and vocab and so much
for three years in high school) but still think trying to
record/tweet/liveblog/transcript it for future generations would be
great :-)