chrome extension for API search

tong-2
hello,

Still some things on the todo list for the first version of the google
chrome extension for searching the haXe API,
but you can already install/use it:
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oocmdgebgfalcjefajhpkdkmlfcanljg

Notes:
* on first install it may take some seconds to load the api description
file (which is for now hosted on github)
* cpp and flash<9 target is currently missing.
* used api version is haxe r3955
* you can turn on/off suggestions for searches on common websites if
nothing is found in the api for your input (currently: haxe-wiki,
google-code, google-development-search, stackoverflow) .. any websites i
should add here ?

Usage:
type 'hx' followed by space and the term you want to search for

Source code is here:
https://github.com/tong/dox.chrome

/tong

--
[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

Re: chrome extension for API search

bruno baudry
really cool !
Thanks

>any websites i should add here ?
The mailling list's archives ?

2011/9/8 tong <[hidden email]>
[...]

_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

Re: chrome extension for API search

Mihail Ivanchev
I tested it on Windows, since I find the idea great, but somehow after I type "hx Hash" for instance nothing happens, the input is silently ignored. Any ideas?

Regards

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
really cool !
Thanks

2011/9/8 tong <[hidden email]>
[...]

Wow, extremely useful.  I agree that the mailing list archives would fit well with this.

Lee

On 09/08/2011 10:51 AM, Mihail Ivanchev wrote:
> I tested it on Windows, since I find the idea great, but somehow after I
> type "hx Hash" for instance nothing happens, the input is silently ignored.
> Any ideas?

maybe the api file (2.8mb) has not finished loading.
you can make sure by visiting the extensions options page and hit
'Reload API description'

/t

> Regards
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> really cool !
>> Thanks
>>
>>> any websites i should add here ?
>> The mailling list's archives ?
>>

>> 2011/9/8 tong <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> Still some things on the todo list for the first version of the google
>>> chrome extension for searching the haXe API,
>>> but you can already install/use it:
>>> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oocmdgebgfalcjefajhpkdkmlfcanljg
>>>
>>> Notes:
>>> * on first install it may take some seconds to load the api description
>>> file (which is for now hosted on github)
>>> * cpp and flash<9 target is currently missing.
>>> * used api version is haxe r3955
>>> * you can turn on/off suggestions for searches on common websites if
>>> nothing is found in the api for your input (currently: haxe-wiki,
>>> google-code, google-development-search, stackoverflow) .. any websites i
>>> should add here ?
>>>
>>> Usage:
>>> type 'hx' followed by space and the term you want to search for
>>>
>>> Source code is here:
>>> https://github.com/tong/dox.chrome
>>>
>>> /tong
>>>
>>> --
>>> [) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

>> _      _  _     _  _\   /
>> |_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
>> |_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

Re: chrome extension for API search

Andy Li
It works great on my machines!
Very cool!

Can it auto select the first result?
So I can type hx list [enter] instead of hx list [down] [enter]?

Best,
Andy

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 6:26 PM, tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/08/2011 10:51 AM, Mihail Ivanchev wrote:
> I tested it on Windows, since I find the idea great, but somehow after I
> type "hx Hash" for instance nothing happens, the input is silently ignored.
> Any ideas?

maybe the api file (2.8mb) has not finished loading.
you can make sure by visiting the extensions options page and hit
'Reload API description'

/t

> Regards
>
> On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 10:47 AM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> really cool !
>> Thanks
>>
>>> any websites i should add here ?
>> The mailling list's archives ?
>>

>> 2011/9/8 tong <[hidden email]>
>>
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> Still some things on the todo list for the first version of the google
>>> chrome extension for searching the haXe API,
>>> but you can already install/use it:
>>> https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/oocmdgebgfalcjefajhpkdkmlfcanljg
>>>
>>> Notes:
>>> * on first install it may take some seconds to load the api description
>>> file (which is for now hosted on github)
>>> * cpp and flash<9 target is currently missing.
>>> * used api version is haxe r3955
>>> * you can turn on/off suggestions for searches on common websites if
>>> nothing is found in the api for your input (currently: haxe-wiki,
>>> google-code, google-development-search, stackoverflow) .. any websites i
>>> should add here ?
>>>
>>> Usage:
>>> type 'hx' followed by space and the term you want to search for
>>>
>>> Source code is here:
>>> https://github.com/tong/dox.chrome
>>>
>>> /tong
>>>
>>> --
>>> [) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

>> _      _  _     _  _\   /
>> |_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
>> |_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

Re: chrome extension for API search

Mihail Ivanchev
I already tried that, it reports "API got reloaded" and then the same behaviour occurs.

Regards,
Mihail

On 09/08/2011 01:07 PM, Andy Li wrote:
> It works great on my machines!
> Very cool!
>
> Can it auto select the first result?
> So I can type *hx list [enter]* instead of *hx list [down] [enter]*?

sadly it seems this is not possible

On 09/08/2011 11:17 AM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
Wow, extremely useful.  I agree that the mailing list archives would fit well with this.

added nabble mailing list search suggestion (ext version 0.1.5).

Hit the 'Update extensions now' button at chrome://extensions/ to update manually
(chrome checks about once a day for updates automatically)

/t

Lee

On 09/08/2011 01:40 PM, Mihail Ivanchev wrote:
> I already tried that, it reports "API got reloaded" and then the same
> behaviour occurs.

hm.. no clue.
what chrome version are you using ?
afaik everything above 12 should be fine

On 09/08/2011 01:46 PM, tong wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 11:17 AM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>> Wow, extremely useful.  I agree that the mailing list archives would fit well with this.
>>
> added nabble mailing list search suggestion (ext version 0.1.5).
>
> Hit the 'Update extensions now' button at chrome://extensions/ to update
> manually
> (chrome checks about once a day for updates automatically)

forgot to say that you have to activate mailing list search at the
extensions options page to be active.

--
[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

Re: chrome extension for API search

Matthew Spencer-2
Very awesome, this is extremely useful. Great work!

--Matthew Spencer

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 4:52 AM, tong <[hidden email]> wrote:
On 09/08/2011 01:46 PM, tong wrote:
> On 09/08/2011 11:17 AM, Lee Sylvester wrote:
>> Wow, extremely useful.  I agree that the mailing list archives would fit well with this.
>>
> added nabble mailing list search suggestion (ext version 0.1.5).
>
> Hit the 'Update extensions now' button at chrome://extensions/ to update
> manually
> (chrome checks about once a day for updates automatically)

forgot to say that you have to activate mailing list search at the
extensions options page to be active.

--
[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

Re: chrome extension for API search

Viktor Hesselbom-2
Very useful. However, I found a problem. When trying to search for BytesOutput ( http://haxe.org/api/haxe/io/bytesoutput ) the search did not find it.

On 09/15/2011 12:20 AM, Viktor Hesselbom wrote:
> Very useful. However, I found a problem. When trying to search for
> BytesOutput ( http://haxe.org/api/haxe/io/bytesoutput ) the search did not
> find it.

first make sure you have the latest version (0.1.8), if not hit the
'Update extensions now' in extension menu.
in the extension options menu check if 'haxe.*' is activated/checked.
(you can now toggle haxe targets (and the haxe.* package) to get avoided
in your search)

if you still have troubles it might be that your local stored settings
conflict with the changed in a newer version.
it's really hard to figure this out for me cause sometimes i had to
clear my settings manually while developing and than i can't say if it
conflicts if anyone has an older version (minor version number < actual-2 )

if you experiencing any troubles you can do the following:
* in the extensions options menu hit the 'Reset to default settings',
this wipes your settings
or
* in the chrome Developer Tools goto: Resources / Local Storage and
delete the settings manually

than reload the extension. this should do it.

/tong

> 2011/9/8 Matthew Spencer <[hidden email]>
>
>> Very awesome, this is extremely useful. Great work!
>>
>> --Matthew Spencer

>>> fit well with this.

>>> forgot to say that you have to activate mailing list search at the
>>> extensions options page to be active.
>>>

>>> --
>>> [) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net

Re: chrome extension for API search

Viktor Hesselbom-2
Oh, haxe.* was actually switched off! No other target was though... Thanks! :)

[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net