by the way

Rasmus Schultz
I never introduced myself properly to the list.

My name is Rasmus Schultz, and I am a webdeveloper since "the dawn of
time", programmer since long before that (~23 years).

My areas of expertise are PHP, JavaScript, ActionScript, MySQL - using
mainly MVC and OOP.

Some of my major published projects include:

- a lightweight (8KB) tree-control for MooTools <http://mootree.mindplay.dk>

- a fast template engine for PHP (functional, but incomplete)
<http://outline.mindplay.dk>

- a grid designer application in JavaScript <http://grid.mindplay.dk/>

I also participate and contribute to MooEditable
<http://code.google.com/p/mooeditable/>. I've contributed some tools and
the set of smilies used by PunBB <http://punbb.org>.

Unrelated to the web, I also did DSP stuff for Orion, Renoise and
MadTracker, and most of the GUI design for Orion
<http://synapse-audio.com/>.

PHP work that I can't show (proprietary) includes things like custom CMS
systems, custom frameworks, and a code generator a'la Rails.

Flash work includes a ground-up flipping book
<http://www.doll-alchemy.com/> application, and a back-end system for
customers can upload PDF documents and publish them as flipping books.

So this should give you some small idea of where I'm coming from.

I have been watching Haxe from the sidelines since it emerged a couple
of years ago. Since the addition of the PHP module, I have become
increasingly interested, since PHP is my primary platform.

Short-term (<1 year), I am hoping to use Haxe as a language to produce
JavaScript - in my opinion, JS in itself is too unstructured, and not
strict enough, to support major GUI frameworks such as ExtJS. My hope is
to someday be able to build something like wxWidgets in Haxe, for
JavaScript.

Long-term (2+ years), I am considering Haxe as a total replacement for
PHP and JavaScript - my hope is to someday be able to build an MVC
framework, with a JavaScript GUI front-end, from a single source. My
ultimate hope, is that someday, it'll be possible to write a single
application in a single language, as you would write any normal desktop
application; so that persistent objects, for example, automatically
compile, from a single class declaration, into a server-side AJAX
implementation, and a client-side JavaScript "proxy" object.

So that's what gets me excited about Haxe, and that's why I'm here :-)

/ Rasmus

Re: by the way

Tomi Maila
Rasmus wrote:
> I never introduced myself properly to the list.

Rasmus, welcome to haXe community! Your background sounds more than
interesting. HaXe definitely needs more people like you who have a lot
of experience in traditional web programming and who would like to give
their expertise for the use of haXe development.
>  My ultimate hope, is that someday, it'll be possible to write a single
> application in a single language
This is my ultimate mental goal as well. Actually I would also be
interested in a development of a haXe inspired intermediate language
that could be further translated to other languages including PHP,
JavaScript, Flash etc.

Tomi

Re: by the way

clemos
On Fri, Nov 7, 2008 at 4:23 PM, Rasmus Schultz
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> I never introduced myself properly to the list.
>
> My name is Rasmus Schultz, and I am a webdeveloper since "the dawn of time",
> programmer since long before that (~23 years).
>
> My areas of expertise are PHP, JavaScript, ActionScript, MySQL - using
> mainly MVC and OOP.
>
> Some of my major published projects include:
>
> - a lightweight (8KB) tree-control for MooTools <http://mootree.mindplay.dk>
>
> - a fast template engine for PHP (functional, but incomplete)
> <http://outline.mindplay.dk>
>
> - a grid designer application in JavaScript <http://grid.mindplay.dk/>
>
> I also participate and contribute to MooEditable
> <http://code.google.com/p/mooeditable/>. I've contributed some tools and the
> set of smilies used by PunBB <http://punbb.org>.
>
> Unrelated to the web, I also did DSP stuff for Orion, Renoise and
> MadTracker, and most of the GUI design for Orion
> <http://synapse-audio.com/>.
>
> PHP work that I can't show (proprietary) includes things like custom CMS
> systems, custom frameworks, and a code generator a'la Rails.
>
> Flash work includes a ground-up flipping book <http://www.doll-alchemy.com/>
> application, and a back-end system for customers can upload PDF documents
> and publish them as flipping books.

All this is impressing.
I'm particularily interrested in MooEditable, since I'm trying to
implement a similar thing with haXe.
(my basic idea is to build an html wysiwig, but also to experiment:
haXe code editing with highlighting and completion through
designMode=>ajax=>neko ? templo template editing ? xml editing
(especially swfmill) ? a complete haXe IDE in a browser, and written
in haXe ? maybe it will never happen, but I find the idea very fun...)

> So this should give you some small idea of where I'm coming from.
>
> I have been watching Haxe from the sidelines since it emerged a couple of
> years ago. Since the addition of the PHP module, I have become increasingly
> interested, since PHP is my primary platform.
>
> Short-term (<1 year), I am hoping to use Haxe as a language to produce
> JavaScript - in my opinion, JS in itself is too unstructured, and not strict
> enough, to support major GUI frameworks such as ExtJS. My hope is to someday
> be able to build something like wxWidgets in Haxe, for JavaScript.
>
> Long-term (2+ years), I am considering Haxe as a total replacement for PHP
> and JavaScript - my hope is to someday be able to build an MVC framework,
> with a JavaScript GUI front-end, from a single source. My ultimate hope, is
> that someday, it'll be possible to write a single application in a single
> language, as you would write any normal desktop application; so that
> persistent objects, for example, automatically compile, from a single class
> declaration, into a server-side AJAX implementation, and a client-side
> JavaScript "proxy" object.

For server-side MVC, you should have a look at the motion twin haxe
library (http://haxe.org/com/libs/mtwin) and SPOD
(http://haxe.org/doc/neko/spod?lang=en).
Even if it's not explicitely labelled "MVC", I think mtwin library is
actually more or less already a minimalist "MVC framework", since SPOD
can be considered the Model part of MVC, mtwin.web.Handler the
Controllers, and Templo the View part.

+++++++++
Clément