and more competition ;-)

Re: and more competition ;-)

blackdog
On 07/13/2011 05:22 PM, Dion Whitehead Amago wrote:
>> I really like jedit, have used it extensively - i don't use it or any java
>> app as jvm memory consumption offends me. Jedit comes in at 83MB usage on
>> startup, no plugins, no open files.
>>
> jedit's use of 83mb out of a typical new machine's ram of>>  4GB offends you?
>
> http://dilbert.com/strips/comic/1992-09-08/

Don't get me wrong jedit is the only dev tool i'd use on the jvm
precisely because it's quite good in comparison with the other
behemoths. It's not jedit's problem it's the jvm, Jedit is a good
example as it's just an editor and hence easy to compare. Although
taking twice the ram of a loaded emacs running all day with 23 buffers
open, offers no must have feature. Cue vim users to blast emacs,
however, I maintain that non modal editing is a tangible benefit. I do
use a gui, as it has benefits over the command line, but for all the
java apps i've seen there are no real benefits to using the jvm from a
users perspective.

By accepting bloatware, we're paying extra in hardware and power
consumption; I suspect acceptance will change rather rapidly as energy
costs rise. If you take that idea to a global scale it would be
interesting to know just how much extra power consumption has been
generated through the miracle of the jvm.

bd

-- Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Re: and more competition ;-)

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 14/07/2011 01:52, blackdog a écrit :
[...]
> By accepting bloatware, we're paying extra in hardware and power
> consumption; I suspect acceptance will change rather rapidly as energy
> costs rise. If you take that idea to a global scale it would be
> interesting to know just how much extra power consumption has been
> generated through the miracle of the jvm.

Completely agree. But please don't forget PHP, I think it's even worse
from a green point of view.

Re: and more competition ;-)

Tony Polinelli
while your at it, dont forget javascript, as3, lua, .net framework, html rendering (lets use less styles!), i guess the WHOLE of flash ;P ...RIA's

I dont think that people are going to kick up power consumption will alter peoples choice of text editor. Obviously VMs make dev easier - in a perfect world there wouldnt be a cost, but 99% or the population doesnt mind the cost for (debatably) better featured software.

If a program does what i need it to do i'll happily take the 5c/day extra power cost - for instance, running flashdevelop via parallels on my mac. Not ideal, but functional.

Sorry for the flaming!

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Nicolas Cannasse <[hidden email]> wrote:
Le 14/07/2011 01:52, blackdog a écrit :
[...]

By accepting bloatware, we're paying extra in hardware and power
consumption; I suspect acceptance will change rather rapidly as energy
costs rise. If you take that idea to a global scale it would be
interesting to know just how much extra power consumption has been
generated through the miracle of the jvm.

Completely agree. But please don't forget PHP, I think it's even worse from a green point of view.

Re: and more competition ;-)

It's a tool. Every tool has costs and benefits, which we all balance.

+1 for FlashDevelop

On Thu, 14 Jul 2011 16:26:38 -0700, Tony Polinelli
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> while your at it, dont forget javascript, as3, lua, .net framework, html
> rendering (lets use less styles!), i guess the WHOLE of flash ;P ...RIA's
>
> I dont think that people are going to kick up power consumption will
> alter
> peoples choice of text editor. Obviously VMs make dev easier - in a
> perfect
> world there wouldnt be a cost, but 99% or the population doesnt mind the
> cost for (debatably) better featured software.
>
> If a program does what i need it to do i'll happily take the 5c/day extra
> power cost - for instance, running flashdevelop via parallels on my mac.
> Not
> ideal, but functional.
>
> Sorry for the flaming!
>

> On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 6:09 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
> <[hidden email]
>> wrote:
>
>> Le 14/07/2011 01:52, blackdog a écrit :
>> [...]
>>
>>  By accepting bloatware, we're paying extra in hardware and power
>>> consumption; I suspect acceptance will change rather rapidly as energy
>>> costs rise. If you take that idea to a global scale it would be
>>> interesting to know just how much extra power consumption has been
>>> generated through the miracle of the jvm.
>>>

>> Completely agree. But please don't forget PHP, I think it's even worse
>> from
>> a green point of view.
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: and more competition ;-)

Baluta Cristian
Yes, i have the problem of giving me: "There is an error preventing autocompletion:", i wrote this.ad + escape, and the project compiles fine so can't be this the problem. But when it does work i simply don't like the formatting, makes the code unreadable.
The textmate default autocompletion is fine for me.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 11:37 PM, Justin Donaldson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Where specifically are you having a problem?  function methods?

-Justin

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 1:11 PM, Baluta Cristian <[hidden email]> wrote:
textmate till the death... i don't use autocompletion because i don't like the spaces and i'm wasting more time fixing them.

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:43 PM, Martin Lindelöf <[hidden email]> wrote:
I just left sluggish eclihx, for textmate, and i must say it's _the_ best so far.
extremly fast on auto-complete, can import by pressing apple+i after class name.

so many customizations... templates, snippets... it's just a dream to code with.

--
Martin Lindelöf
www.martinlindelof.com

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 9:38 PM, blackdog wrote:

I really like jedit, have used it extensively - i don't use it or any
java app as jvm memory consumption offends me. Jedit comes in at 83MB
usage on startup, no plugins, no open files.

Slava Pestov moved to emacs too
http://factor-language.blogspot.com/2009/01/screencast-editing-factor-code-with.html
;)

bd

On 07/13/2011 03:05 PM, Dion Whitehead Amago wrote:
jEdit has a haxe plugin with autocompletion, auto imports, ctags
parsing, projects, and more, and it runs on all platforms with Java.
I've been dogfooding it for about a year now.

2011/7/13 blackdog<[hidden email]>:
I have an unmaintained geany haxe plugin, which danny and I worked on for a
while a couple of years back. along with code completion and neko is
embedded in geany so scripting is possible.

The plugin api has changed a lot I guess since I wrote it so that would be
the main issue, but you may find it useful,

it's here

https://github.com/blackdog66/hxDev

I did the original haxe mode for geany, don't know if it's been updated
since.

bd.

On 07/13/2011 12:23 PM, Alexander Konotop wrote:
В Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:12:37 -0700
"Joshua Granick"<[hidden email]> пишет:

When we are ready, it would be nice to have FlashDevelop and FDT
support for the project format. I'll ping them when we get there.

When I am on Linux I use gedit. Admittedly, I've been back on Windows
a lot more recently, as I've been using FlashDevelop in order to work
on the install tool. FlashDevelop is great for managing projects with
a lot of different files. I enjoy vim and gedit more when I do not
have to bounce around between files as much. FlashDevelop is the
reason why I switch to Windows, even though I otherwise use Linux for
everything

On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 00:25:43 -0700, Lee Sylvester
<[hidden email]> wrote:

I'd agree here. I bet the FDT guys would be all over this.
However, someone
would be needed as point of contact in order to make sure all needed
features were addressed.

Lee

_______________________

wrote:
http://techcrunch.com/2011/05/13/native-apps-or-web-apps-particle-code-wants
-you-to-do-both/
I use Geany to work with projects which have multiple files. Compiling
by shift+f9, finding methods and switching between files using sidebar.
I wish no more to this functionality :-) It doesn't have haxe code
autocompletion but I don't like this feature, I always used to turn it
off (Yes, maybe I need a psychiatrist but You won't change me :-)).

I used gedit before but switched to geany when removed gnome and
installed xfce.

Best regards
Alexander

--
Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication. ~ Leonardo da Vinci

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Băluță Cristian