advice on Zend

jlm@justinfront.net
Hi

client insists I help him with some Zend and Zend amf, I have
explained I don't do PHP ( or really backend ) and prefer haXe.  He
seems to think zend will integrate with sugarcrms better than haXe
solutions.

So any arguments for a more haXe centric approach would be welcome and
advice on how I can use Zend in haXe if possible.

Cheers

;j

Re: advice on Zend

MarcWeber
Hi,

Sometimes its hard to say.

Key features of HaXe: more static checking.
In PHP you have to live with the risk that you get bug reports month
after delivery - because you can't test everything always.

Using HaXe this will still happen - but less often.

The static typing of HaXe will also make development faster - because
you can use better completion etc.

Those are the reason me preferring HaXe.

That said there are reasons to use PHP as well:
- existing code
- it will be faster. Eg using lambdas when targeting PHP is slow.

I don't know Zend AMF. Without knowing the big picture its hard to give
good advice.

Using untyped statements you can interfere with almost any PHP library
anyway - it depends on how much interfacing code you have to write.

When using untyped languages such as python, perl, ruby , php I always
fear library updates - because you never know what breaks.
Breakage can happen to HaXe users as well - but much less likely.

If the feature list is complete PHP can be a good choice (eg you have
debuggers etc) - however if its likely that the direction changes a good
type system can safe more time than a debugger can.

HTH
Marc Weber

Re: advice on Zend

jlm@justinfront.net
Any guidance on wrapping php libraries for easy use in haxe?  Really
not keen on php syntax.

On 18 Sep 2010, at 20:24, Marc Weber wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Sometimes its hard to say.
>
> Key features of HaXe: more static checking.
> In PHP you have to live with the risk that you get bug reports month
> after delivery - because you can't test everything always.
>
> Using HaXe this will still happen - but less often.
>
> The static typing of HaXe will also make development faster - because
> you can use better completion etc.
>
> Those are the reason me preferring HaXe.
>
> That said there are reasons to use PHP as well:
> - existing code
> - it will be faster. Eg using lambdas when targeting PHP is slow.
>
> I don't know Zend AMF. Without knowing the big picture its hard to
> give
> good advice.
>
> Using untyped statements you can interfere with almost any PHP library
> anyway - it depends on how much interfacing code you have to write.
>
> When using untyped languages such as python, perl, ruby , php I always
> fear library updates - because you never know what breaks.
> Breakage can happen to HaXe users as well - but much less likely.
>
> If the feature list is complete PHP can be a good choice (eg you have
> debuggers etc) - however if its likely that the direction changes a
> good
> type system can safe more time than a debugger can.
>
> HTH
> Marc Weber

Re: advice on Zend

MarcWeber
Excerpts from [hidden email]'s message of Sat Sep 18 21:33:32 +0200 2010:
> Any guidance on wrapping php libraries for easy use in haxe?  Really
> not keen on php syntax.
Be lazy - do what you have to do only ...

Lookup how PHP is wrapped in Std. There are many examples.

Marc Weber

Re: advice on Zend

clemos
Hi

I've always been thinking that haXe and Zend could really go along
very well, since Zend is one of the most strictly typed PHP framework
I know of.
It would be nice to write externs to the Zend classes, possibly
automatically through phpdocumentor's xml output.

Using both you can use both arguments with your clients: you have all
the powerful features of Zend plus the comfort and reliability of
haXe, strict typing, etc.

Regards,
Clément