XMPP with haxe

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Hey guys,

I've found XMPP to be a very nice protocol for multiplayer gaming, and have done some experiments in the past with Strophe (js) and ejabber (server, erlang). It'd be nice to have an XMPP library for haXe that could run both in all platforms. Do we have something like that already? If not, I'd be willing to play with that.

What do you guys think?

Cheers,

Marcelo

Re: XMPP with haxe

Lee Sylvester
Hey Marcelo,

I've always found XMPP to be too overly verbose and it's lack of server
side logic (in the official version) makes for more client -> server
connections than I'd like.  Have you tried using Neko's
ThreadRemotingServer and haXe remoting?  It's a lot faster, easier to code
for and means you can make your apps a lot more secure.

I know Nicolas uses this formula for his multi-user games and they run great.

Lee

> Hey guys,
>
> I've found XMPP to be a very nice protocol for multiplayer gaming, and
> have
> done some experiments in the past with Strophe (js) and ejabber (server,
> erlang). It'd be nice to have an XMPP library for haXe that could run both
> in all platforms. Do we have something like that already? If not, I'd be
> willing to play with that.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcelo

Re: XMPP with haxe

Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
Hi Lee,

Thank you for the insights, I was also looking for them, specifically how to model a multiplayer game architecture, since there are many possible ways and different technologies to choose from.

I'll look into ThreadRemotingServer and haXe removing.

By the way, what has been your experience with haXe and Red5? Any production apps that use it (Red5)?

Cheers,

Marcelo.

On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hey Marcelo,

I've always found XMPP to be too overly verbose and it's lack of server
side logic (in the official version) makes for more client -> server
connections than I'd like.  Have you tried using Neko's
ThreadRemotingServer and haXe remoting?  It's a lot faster, easier to code
for and means you can make your apps a lot more secure.

I know Nicolas uses this formula for his multi-user games and they run great.

Lee

> Hey guys,
>
> I've found XMPP to be a very nice protocol for multiplayer gaming, and
> have
> done some experiments in the past with Strophe (js) and ejabber (server,
> erlang). It'd be nice to have an XMPP library for haXe that could run both
> in all platforms. Do we have something like that already? If not, I'd be
> willing to play with that.
>
> What do you guys think?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcelo

Re: XMPP with haxe

Lee Sylvester
Hi Marcelo,

If you look in back issues of Flash and Flex Developer Magazine (they're
free - www.ffdmag.com), then you might come across an article I wrote
about Multi-Player Gaming in haXe.  It demonstrates ThreadRemotingServer
using a Flash client (written in haXe).  It should give you a good
starting point.

I have used Red5, but not with haXe.  It's a little large for gaming and
probably wouldn't give you the speed you're looking for.  However, it's
great for streaming video and online presentations, etc.

Lee

> Hi Lee,
>
> Thank you for the insights, I was also looking for them, specifically how
> model a multiplayer game architecture, since there are many possible ways
> and different technologies to choose from.
>
> I'll look into ThreadRemotingServer and haXe removing.
>
> By the way, what has been your experience with haXe and Red5? Any
> production
> apps that use it (Red5)?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcelo.
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey Marcelo,
>>
>> I've always found XMPP to be too overly verbose and it's lack of server
>> side logic (in the official version) makes for more client -> server
>> connections than I'd like.  Have you tried using Neko's
>> ThreadRemotingServer and haXe remoting?  It's a lot faster, easier to
>> code
>> for and means you can make your apps a lot more secure.
>>
>> I know Nicolas uses this formula for his multi-user games and they run
>> great.
>>
>> Lee
>>

>> > Hey guys,
>> >
>> > I've found XMPP to be a very nice protocol for multiplayer gaming, and
>> > have
>> > done some experiments in the past with Strophe (js) and ejabber
>> (server,
>> > erlang). It'd be nice to have an XMPP library for haXe that could run
>> both
>> > in all platforms. Do we have something like that already? If not, I'd
>> be
>> > willing to play with that.
>> >
>> > What do you guys think?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Marcelo
>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org

Re: XMPP with haxe

Yanis Benson

I tried to make video streaming server with Red5 but found that it was much simpler to make one with haxe/neko smtp implementation.  Can't remember it's name but it's something like nekoserver. I modified it though.

On 25 Jul 2011 22:36, "Marcelo de Moraes Serpa" <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Hi Lee,
>
> Thank you for the insights, I was also looking for them, specifically how to
> model a multiplayer game architecture, since there are many possible ways
> and different technologies to choose from.
>
> I'll look into ThreadRemotingServer and haXe removing.
>
> By the way, what has been your experience with haXe and Red5? Any production
> apps that use it (Red5)?
>
> Cheers,
>
> Marcelo.
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 1:30 PM, <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hey Marcelo,
>>
>> I've always found XMPP to be too overly verbose and it's lack of server
>> side logic (in the official version) makes for more client -> server
>> connections than I'd like. Have you tried using Neko's
>> ThreadRemotingServer and haXe remoting? It's a lot faster, easier to code
>> for and means you can make your apps a lot more secure.
>>
>> I know Nicolas uses this formula for his multi-user games and they run
>> great.
>>
>> Lee
>>

>> > Hey guys,
>> >
>> > I've found XMPP to be a very nice protocol for multiplayer gaming, and
>> > have
>> > done some experiments in the past with Strophe (js) and ejabber (server,
>> > erlang). It'd be nice to have an XMPP library for haXe that could run
>> both
>> > in all platforms. Do we have something like that already? If not, I'd be
>> > willing to play with that.
>> >
>> > What do you guys think?
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> >
>> > Marcelo
>> > --
>> > haXe - an open source web programming language
>> > http://haxe.org

Re: XMPP with haxe

Chris Ochs
On Mon, Jul 25, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> By the way, what has been your experience with haXe and Red5? Any production
> apps that use it (Red5)?

We tried out Red5 + flash on a facebook app with a decent number of
users (several hundred thousand dau), and it fell over around 5000
concurrent users on a server.  Could have been something we were
doing, but without obvious answers and the evidence pointing to
something deep in the architecture, we dropped it.

We went back to just using json over http.  We still get persistent
connections via keep alives, and the server side is much simpler.

Chris

Re: XMPP with haxe

tong-2
On 07/25/2011 08:33 PM, Marcelo de Moraes Serpa wrote:
> Bummer. "Google is your friend". Just found: http://hxmpp.disktree.net/
>
> :)

.. it's crossplatform and you can use haxe-remoting too ;)
https://github.com/tong/hxmpp.examples/tree/master/remoting

--
[) | 5 |< † |2 3 3 - http://disktree.net