Writing Desktop App

Michael Cann
Hi List,

Im planning on writing a desktop app. Whats the current state of things regarding GUI libs?

Would I be best targeting neko or CPP? Does neko suffer a performance cost to CPP? If so what are the negatives / positives to each? I am going to crunch some large volumes of data, so performance could be critical.

Which lib should I use? nekongui? hxGtk? screenweaverHx? titanium-desktop? I am going to be throwing alot of data at the GUI so I think a native component set would be better than using Flash. I also would like it to visually target the platform its running on, preferably without my intervention, like titanium does. Are these libraries still supported?

Re: Writing Desktop App

Cauê W.
Hey Michael!

I think the best option by now is nme + aswing.

Cheers!
Cauê

2011/10/30 Michael Cann <[hidden email]>
Hi List,

Im planning on writing a desktop app. Whats the current state of things regarding GUI libs?

Would I be best targeting neko or CPP? Does neko suffer a performance cost to CPP? If so what are the negatives / positives to each? I am going to crunch some large volumes of data, so performance could be critical.

Which lib should I use? nekongui? hxGtk? screenweaverHx? titanium-desktop? I am going to be throwing alot of data at the GUI so I think a native component set would be better than using Flash. I also would like it to visually target the platform its running on, preferably without my intervention, like titanium does. Are these libraries still supported?

Re: Writing Desktop App

Michael Cann
Hmm.. Just tried it  and it seems like there are lots of problems with it.. Im running into the same issues in this post:  http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Haxe-AsWing-NME-td6841999.html

Would it be possible to get webkit working in neko? That way all the interface could be in HTML?

Mike

On 30 October 2011 17:06, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: Writing Desktop App

Cauê W.
that's strange, but those errors are very easy to solve:

Just create a nme/Lib.hx on your project with nme's Lib.hx contents, and plus a:

static function as<T>(v:Dynamic, cl:Class<T>):Null<T>
{
return if (Std.is(v, cl)) v; else null;
}

and also create a UInt.hx at the root src path, with typedef UInt = Int;

[...]

About TypedDictionary ,here's a solution:

Just copy this file, rename it as nme.utils.TypedDictionary. it has the same methods as TypedDictionary.

2011/10/30 Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]>
[...]

Hi Caue,

Cheers for that! Good infos, but its now falling over at:

C:\Motion-Twin\haxe\lib\aswing/1,0/org/aswing/event/FocusKeyEvent.hx:10: characters 0-28 : Class not found : flash.ui.KeyLocation

Any idea what that is? Im trying to get a very basic example working from the ASwing docs. Heres the ghist of what im trying to do:

Cheers,
Mike

On 30 October 2011 18:54, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Hehe ;) That one works, but next we have problems with:

import flash.text.AntiAliasType;
import flash.text.GridFitType;

Commenting these out doesnt work as they are used in the org.aswing.ASFontAdvProperties class.

Sorry if im being abit of a noob here!

Mike

On 30 October 2011 20:12, Cauê Waneck <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

wow, it's got more problems than I thought...

Well, if you want to use this, I think the quickest way is to create fake placeholders for those types - AntiAliasType and GridFitType (just empty classes) and use #if nme conditions for function that really uses it (probably some way in flash to set the advanced textfield properties that's missing on nme).
It shouldn't be a problem if you don't use those advanced textfield options.
:)

[...]

yeah, I spent some time trying to solve all errors, but they just keep coming. :(
And there are too many weak dictionaries, which isn't possible to do right now in hxcpp, so there would be the possibility for leaking resources, even if it did compile.

[...]

I just had a thought. Could I use HXCPP to write code for use in NaCL which I can then write the front end in HTML and JS? I wonder what the cost is of passing data between JS and NaCL..

--
Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: Writing Desktop App

jamesbjackson
Michael,

What type of desktop app you trying to create... As if it not gaming then I would suggest Accelerator Titanium API as someone has nicely written the bindings and a tutorial on how to you use them.

http://www.blog.visup.it/2010/10/tech/haxe-titanium-targeting-iphoneipad-and-android

I would suggest keeping it simple is always the best :-)

James

Re: Writing Desktop App

Michael Cann
Hi,

Ye im really interested in Titanium. How does it work tho? When its running on the desktop does it run your code as JS inside some internal interpreter or does it compile the JS to CPP?

Theres several ideas I have for apps, one of them is to write a profiler using the flash.sampler package. I want to replace the one in Flash Builder or FDT with something free and better. So my needs are it needs to be able to process and present large volumes of data (the sampler returns alot of stuff). Hence my interest in hxcpp or neko targets with native UI components.

Mike

On 1 November 2011 01:41, jamesbjackson <[hidden email]> wrote:
Michael,

What type of desktop app you trying to create... As if it not gaming then I
would suggest Accelerator Titanium API as someone has nicely written the
bindings and a tutorial on how to you use them.

http://www.blog.visup.it/2010/10/tech/haxe-titanium-targeting-iphoneipad-and-android

I would suggest keeping it simple is always the best :-)

James

Mike Cann
http://www.mikecann.co.uk/

Re: Writing Desktop App

jamesbjackson
Micheal,

Basicly it a very powerful JavaScript API which wraps around native code :-) so you write a JS target in haxe then compile your project in Titanium and it generates the App for you, see the link i sent you as you need to tweak it to get haxe playing nice :-) or you could write a custom JS generator, You design your UI as you would do with JavaScript, CSS, etc..., it provides a set of UI controls via the API.

UI Elements
http://developer.appcelerator.com/apidoc/desktop/latest/Titanium.UI-module

You can create system processes.
http://developer.appcelerator.com/apidoc/desktop/latest/Titanium.Process-module

Worker threads for large processing
http://developer.appcelerator.com/apidoc/desktop/latest/Titanium.Worker-module

Just a suggestion, might not be right for your project..

James