Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Fei Yin
HaXe 2.06 and 2.07 have so much bugs , and lots API changes . from
haXe 2.06 to 2.07 , I find my project can not continue . Because swf
lib support was changed , It force me to reduce my codes , then I
found another stupid thing , the --gen-hx-classes option was changed
and can not work with the new way . that is too bad .

But this is not all the troubles . When I reinstall haXe in my new
computer , haxelib make new problems . There is too much things
required nightly version , I don't think this is a good news for users
in product-level development . Could the developers care this please ?
I wish there is a haXe version with a good robustness . Then we can
use haXe in our product development . Could you just make a version
like this :

* Just support flash player 6-10.x is enough for now .
* Of cause keep all features in haXe 2.07 .
* Fix the big bugs , like the gen-hx-classes bug.
* Make another haxelib source , Then one is stable and other is just
for nightly build . Then we can install haXe anywhere and anytime
without the worry for the libs compatibility .
* Or you can make the haXe lib have a version check , then if I use
haXe 2.07 , haxelib will never install the later version of lib that
just support a higher version haXe compiler .

This was VERY VERY IMPORTANT ! I don't wish my project can not
continue when I just reinstall my OS, or I change a new computer ,
just because I can't install the haXe version and haXe lib version I
used before . I don't know how can I explain this to my boss . It was
too stupid !

Could we got some version idea from Debian or firefox ?
--
Yin Fei
>From Icebirds.net

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Baluta Cristian
I don't like the new gen-hx-classes either, but i didn't saw any bug.
You can keep an older version of a haxelib if a newer version doesn't work for you.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 11:29 AM, Fei Yin <[hidden email]> wrote:
HaXe 2.06 and 2.07 have so much bugs , and lots API changes . from
haXe 2.06 to 2.07 , I find my project can not continue . Because swf
lib support was changed , It force me to reduce my codes , then I
found another stupid thing , the --gen-hx-classes option was changed
and can not work with the new way . that is too bad .

But this is not all the troubles . When I reinstall haXe in my new
computer , haxelib make new problems . There is too much things
required nightly version , I don't think this is a good news for users
in product-level development . Could the developers care this please ?
I wish there is a haXe version with a good robustness . Then we can
use haXe in our product development . Could you just make a version
like this :

* Just support flash player 6-10.x is enough for now .
* Of cause keep all features in haXe 2.07 .
* Fix the big bugs , like the gen-hx-classes bug.
* Make another haxelib source , Then one is stable and other is just
for nightly build . Then we can install haXe anywhere and anytime
without the worry for the libs compatibility .
* Or you can make the haXe lib have a version check , then if I use
haXe 2.07 , haxelib will never install the later version of lib that
just support a higher version haXe compiler .

This was VERY VERY IMPORTANT ! I don't wish my project can not
continue when I just reinstall my OS, or I change a new computer ,
just because I can't install the haXe version and haXe lib version I
used before . I don't know how can I explain this to my boss . It was
too stupid !

Could we got some version idea from Debian or firefox ?
--
Yin Fei
>From Icebirds.net

Băluță Cristian
http://ralcr.com
http://imagin.ro

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Julien CASTETS

Hi Fei,

What I do is simple. For any of my production project I backup the haxe folder with binaries and libs and my own std patches on my project repository. So that if I have debug to do I can revert to this haxe/libs/std version.

BTW for the gen-hx-classes it works, but the usage have changed. Take a look on the past messages on this list and you'll find.

Hope this helps
Cheers
Julien

Le 09/08/2011 10:29, Fei Yin a écrit :
> HaXe 2.06 and 2.07 have so much bugs , and lots API changes . from
> haXe 2.06 to 2.07 , I find my project can not continue . Because swf
> lib support was changed , It force me to reduce my codes , then I
> found another stupid thing , the --gen-hx-classes option was changed
> and can not work with the new way . that is too bad .

--gen-hx-classes was the preferred way to work with 3rd party SWF up to
2.07. Starting from there, you should get direct classes access by
simply linking the -swf-lib, without the need to go through using
--gen-hx-classes.

> But this is not all the troubles . When I reinstall haXe in my new
> computer , haxelib make new problems > There is too much things
> required nightly version , I don't think this is a good news for users
> in product-level development . Could the developers care this please ?

We are caring, be sure that we work hard to avoid any
compatibility-breaking stuff (for instance at MotionTwin we might have
reached already a million of haXe code lines with all the projects).

> I wish there is a haXe version with a good robustness . Then we can
> use haXe in our product development . Could you just make a version
> like this :

IMHO, haXe is quite robust. Most of the bugs found/fixed are not
show-stopper ones. It's up to you to choose when/if you want to upgrade
to a new version, given that the amount of breaking changes is kept to
the very strict minimum and that in most of the cases you'll not have
any issue.

> * Just support flash player 6-10.x is enough for now .

Adding new FP version should not cause any additional bug since it's
mostly adding new API which should not impact the existing ones, or
maybe you have a specific bug report ?

> * Of cause keep all features in haXe 2.07

It's quite rare that we deprecate something, but some very new features
(such as macro @:build introduced in 2.07) can be subject to change at
least a bit after they have been added.

> * Fix the big bugs , like the gen-hx-classes bug.

Bugs are fixed on the regular basis. I am not aware of a gen-hx-classes
one, but maybe I have overlooked a report that you made ?

> * Make another haxelib source , Then one is stable and other is just
> for nightly build . Then we can install haXe anywhere and anytime
> without the worry for the libs compatibility .

I cannot speak for all the people making libs, and it would be hard to
make sure that they all stick to a given release cycle. You can however
download+install all the previous library versions and set the
current-working-version with "haxelib set mylib 1.3". This should enable
you to use libs that are still compatible with old haxe compiler.

> * Or you can make the haXe lib have a version check , then if I use
> haXe 2.07 , haxelib will never install the later version of lib that
> just support a higher version haXe compiler .

It's a bit hard to do in a reliable manner, but could be automated by
sending the haxe compiler version at the time the lib is submitted.

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Fei Yin
HERE I had post the gen-hx-classes bug for lots times , but nobody
resolve it . You can look it in this link:

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Problems-of-gen-hx-classes-amp-amp-Date-now-is-not-function-Error-td6154296.html

The problem is :

icebird@icebirds3-desktop:~/ShowTV/showtv/app/debug$ haxe -swf9
foo.swf -swf-lib ui.swfc --gen-hx-classes --no-output
ui.swfc@TextShowPage:1: character 0 : Invalid number of type
parameters for Hash

Of cause we may don't need to use classes any more , but under linux ,
I use this option to get the class list in a swf file , this is very
useful for debug sometimes.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 4:58 PM, Nicolas Cannasse
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>
>> * Make another haxelib source , Then one is stable and other is just
>> for nightly build . Then we can install haXe anywhere and anytime
>> without the worry for the libs compatibility .
>
> I cannot speak for all the people making libs, and it would be hard to make
> sure that they all stick to a given release cycle. You can however
> download+install all the previous library versions and set the
> current-working-version with "haxelib set mylib 1.3". This should enable you
> to use libs that are still compatible with old haxe compiler.
>
>> * Or you can make the haXe lib have a version check , then if I use
>> haXe 2.07 , haxelib will never install the later version of lib that
>> just support a higher version haXe compiler .
>
> It's a bit hard to do in a reliable manner, but could be automated by
> sending the haxe compiler version at the time the lib is submitted.

Yin Fei
>From Icebirds.net

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Fei Yin
And I ask the same question here :

http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haxe.general/37703

also nobody answer me .

--
Yin Fei
>From Icebirds.net

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

bubblebenj
Hei Fei,

I think Nicolas was talking about a bug report on google code haxe project :

It would be too difficult to track bug from the mailing list.

Cheers

Ben

--
Yin Fei
>From Icebirds.net

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Pimm Hogeling
Hello everyone,

I know English is a difficult language. I will only use simple English. Simple English can be a bit easier to understand and translate.

Channels
"Could we got some version idea from Debian or firefox ?" Firefox' release cycle is interesting. Firefox has way more developers and users than the haXe compiler. We should not copy their release cycle one-on-one. But it is worth looking at.

The haXe compiler currently has two channels: nightly and regular. We could use three channels: nightly, beta and stable.
  1. New features are developed in the nightly channel.
  2. Hardcore haXe users use the beta channel. Those users report bugs. Library developers test their libraries using the beta channel. Those developers update their libraries.
  3. Every three months the nightly version turns into the beta version; and the beta version turns into the stable version.

This would make it easy for library developers to update their libraries before a new stable version comes out. It would additionally make it more justified to deprecate features.

I don't think we need this at the moment. We should consider something like this, though.

Older Versions
"I can't install the haXe version and haXe lib version I used before" We could offer older versions on the download page. (See attachment.)

haXe download page functional mockup.png (144K) Download Attachment

Re: Wish a really Stable version of haXe

Fei Yin
em.. that's cool ! I have more idea for them .

====== FIRST , For haXe version management or install ======

The auto installer of haXe is a very good feature , we can just make it better like this:

$ ./hx-install
(Cls, clear screen)
Welcome to install haXe , a universal programing language !
You have never install any version of haXe on this computer.
The latest stable version is 2.07 . Just press ENTER for install , or press ESC to show version list : (user press Esc)

(Cls)
The available version list of haXe:
(1) 2.07*  (2) 2.06   (3) 2.05
(4) 2.04   (5) 2.04   (6) 2.02
(7) 2.01   (8) more older version
(9) The latest beta build
(a) The latest nightly build
(b) Quit installer

The star version is current Recommended
Select version which you want to install: 8 (if choose 1-6 , 9 and a, will going to install , or USER choose 8)

(Cls)
The very older version list of haXe (not recommend to use):
(1) 1.09   (2) 1.04   (3) 1.02
(4) newer version
Select version which you want to install: 4

(Cls)
The available version list of haXe:
(1) 2.07*  (2) 2.06   (3) 2.05
(4) 2.04   (5) 2.04   (6) 2.02
(7) 2.01   (8) more older version
(9) The latest beta build
(a) the latest nightly build
(b) Quit installer

The star version is current Recommended
Select version which you want to install: 2

(Cls)
You choose to install haXe 2.06 .
Please just waiting for download and install haXe.
neko downloading [...                   ]  12% finished
haXe downloading [......................] 100% finished
neko install: Waiting for downloading finished.
haXe install: Waiting for install neko.

(Cls)
haXe is now installed on your computer. you can run man haxe to read the document.

$ ./
hx-install
(Cls)

Welcome to install haXe , a universal programing language !
You have installed haXe 2.06 on your computer.
Do you want to (U)pdate or (R)emove your haXe ? ......

This is not so hard to do . The version list can just simply a plain text file with Json or XML format on server . ex. http://haxe.org/file/version.xml

The file can looks like this:

<haxeversion>
    <stable>
         <ver rcm="1" linsrc="http://haxe.org/file/haxe-2.07-linux.tar.gz" macsrc="..." winsrc="..." neko="1.81">2.07</ver>
         <ver rcm="0" linsrc="http://haxe.org/file/haxe-2.07-linux.tar.gz" macsrc="..." winsrc="..." neko="1.80">2.06</ver>
    </stable>
    <current>
         <ver linsrc="http://haxe.org/file/haxe-2.07-linux.tar.gz" macsrc="..." winsrc="...">2.07</ver>
    </current>
    <old>
         <ver ... >
    </old>
    <beta linsrc=....>2.08b1</beta>
    <nightly linsrc=....>2.08b1</nightly>
</haxeversion>

====== SECOND , For haXelib version management ======

We don't need to think more anyway , another xml format and some change in haxelib source will be ok, I find them in std/tools.

Then make every lib have one ver.xml file , we can just make everything done:

<libver name="hxcpp">
    <ver hxver="nightly">2.0.8.4</ver>
    <ver hxver="beta">2.0.8.3</ver>
    <ver hxver="2.07">2.07.2</ver>
    <ver hxver="2.06">2.06.4</ver>
</libver>

Just keep one latest version is OK . and haxelib installer will check the version. so if I use haxe 2.06, It will never install or update hxcpp to 2.07 until I update my haXe version.

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 8:23 PM, Pimm Hogeling <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

From Icebirds.net