Wiki Design Contest

Nicolas Cannasse
Hi !

Since we have a new haXe Logo (http://ncannasse.fr/file/haxelogo.png) I
guess it's time for a new haXe Wiki design, don't you think ?

I propose that we run a CSS contest :

- download the current wiki CSS from http://haxe.org/css/haxe.css
- save some haxe.org pages on your computer
- tweak the CSS to match the new design
- try not to modify the HTML itself since this is a common Wiki engine
- send some results screenshots (and your modified CSS) on the list

Let's put a deadline on 1st July !

Re: Wiki Design Contest

postite
what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss ...

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 13/05/2011 16:13, postite a écrit :
> what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss ...

Additional rule :

- hss files are accepted as well, but there's no wiki hss right now
since it's quite old already ;)

Re: Wiki Design Contest

danielku15
Hi.

Do you have any vector graphics of the logo?

Greetings
Daniel

Re: Wiki Design Contest

justin_mills
Maybe if the deadline was extended we explain it more prepare resource, try to get it into a magazine like http://ffdmag.com/, maybe Lee has a contact.  It might not be of interest to them or maybe we are going for a quiet relaunch?

Cheers ;j

 On Fri 13/05/11 16:16, Nicolas Cannasse [hidden email] wrote:

> Le 13/05/2011 16:13, postite a écrit :
> > what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss
> Additional rule :
>
> - hss files are accepted as well, but there's no wiki hss right now
> since it's quite old already ;)

RE: Wiki Design Contest

Lee Sylvester
I may be able to get them to do a competition, but they'd likely need something out of it on the other end.  A prize as it were.

Lee

Maybe if the deadline was extended we explain it more prepare resource, try to get it into a magazine like http://ffdmag.com/, maybe Lee has a contact.  It might not be of interest to them or maybe we are going for a quiet relaunch?

Cheers ;j

 On Fri 13/05/11 16:16, Nicolas Cannasse [hidden email] wrote:

> Le 13/05/2011 16:13, postite a écrit :
> > what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss
> Additional rule :
>
> - hss files are accepted as well, but there's no wiki hss right now
> since it's quite old already ;)

> haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Confidant
As a certified member of the Graphic Designers of Canada I should let
you know our opinion on pro bono work and contests. The GDC (Canada),
AIGA (USA), and ICOGRADA (International) believe that professional
designers should ideally be paid for their work, like any professional
service. In cases where it is a charity of sorts (haxe.org) who lacks
the money, it is recommended that rather than holding a contest, the
organisation should request that parties who are willing to do it pro-
bono submit a portfolio of their work. From that point Haxe.org would
go into dialogue with a short-list (preferably one) of the designers,
so that the full vision for the design can be communicated and
responded to properly by the designer via a number of design proofs/
versions. If Haxe.org feels a gratuity is appropriate, it should be
given to all parties who work on the project. In this way, you are
guaranteed to get a better design in the end, and you're not wasting
the time of talented individuals who submitted designs but didn't
happen to win.

-Allan Dowdeswell

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Nicolas Cannasse
Le 13/05/2011 18:53, Allan Dowdeswell a écrit :
> As a certified member of the Graphic Designers of Canada I should let
> you know our opinion on pro bono work and contests. The GDC (Canada),
> AIGA (USA), and ICOGRADA (International) believe that professional
> designers should ideally be paid for their work, like any professional
> service.

As a member of the open source community, I think that people should be
able to contribute if they wish to do so, without thinking about getting
money but only for the sake of helping each others.

> In cases where it is a charity of sorts (haxe.org) who lacks
> the money, it is recommended that rather than holding a contest, the
> organisation should request that parties who are willing to do it
> pro-bono submit a portfolio of their work. From that point Haxe.org
> would go into dialogue with a short-list (preferably one) of the
> designers, so that the full vision for the design can be communicated
> and responded to properly by the designer via a number of design
> proofs/versions. If Haxe.org feels a gratuity is appropriate, it should
> be given to all parties who work on the project. In this way, you are
> guaranteed to get a better design in the end, and you're not wasting the
> time of talented individuals who submitted designs but didn't happen to
> win.

It is not a question of "lacking money" or feeling that gratuity is
"appropriate", this is only about giving without hope of receiving
something - money or ego boost - in return (except many thanks from the
whole community).

Yes I know, it sounds a bit idealistic, but I guess that's what free
software is about, IMHO.

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Rezmason
Hang on, I can type that generically.

Allan Dowdeswell<T (IProfession)> wrote:

> As a certified member of the <T> of Canada I should let you know our opinion on pro bono work and contests. The <T>DC (Canada), AI<T> (USA), and ICO<T>A (International) believe that professional <T>s should ideally be paid for their work, like any professional service. In cases where it is a charity of sorts (haxe.org) who lacks the money, it is recommended that rather than holding a contest, the organi(if (lang == "en_us") 'z' else 's')ation should request that parties who are willing to do it pro-bono submit a portfolio of their work.

While I generally (that is to say, generically) agree that it stinks when an organization holds a contest, awards the winners and offers nothing for the other hard-working contestants... isn't haXe itself is a satisfactory "gratuity" for people willing to enter CSS submissions?

-Jeremy

Re: Wiki Design Contest

bruno baudry
Holly cow !...

Quite scary for a first post Allan.

I believe you have things to confess !
Go ahead brother, this community is all about love and sharing and not the proselytising way, just the cool, funky and geeky way.

haXe is a very promising community so the winner will surely be rewarded with fame and glory.

So fear not Allan you might the chosen one !

Good luck and welcome anyway.

2011/5/13 Allan Dowdeswell <[hidden email]>
[...]

_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Confidant
If a designer agreed to do the work pro bono and was then chosen from
the pack based on his/her proven ability to do the work, then no
gratuity would be required, nobody would waste their time, and the end
product would be better.

Re: Wiki Design Contest

tom rhodes
Allan, are you aware of how haxe came to be in the first place? and how the different targets evolved and such? do you use it?

On 13 May 2011 20:40, Allan Dowdeswell <[hidden email]> wrote:
If a designer agreed to do the work pro bono and was then chosen from the pack based on his/her proven ability to do the work, then no gratuity would be required, nobody would waste their time, and the end product would be better.

Re: Wiki Design Contest

davidedc
Hi Allan,

your remark made me think long and deep.

I think your recommendation is absolutely right - just it doesn't apply to this specific case, the reason being that you or me or anyone on the list are not separate parties from Haxe, in this context we are in fact integral to the group called Haxe. In fact, the word "contest" is the word that ringed the alarm bell - but I think that in this context it's rather "people of the same group bringing options to the table and the deciding among them in some way".

The fact that Haxe is open source, or free, or it's for a greater good, or that there is no monetary prize,  doesn't matter: if Nicolas went to a design school graduation exhibition or any other audience of "external" people and made the same proposition, I think your remark would apply.

I rest my case.
You may be seated.
Also, from now on I take the fifth on this subject, just in case I get a barrage of counter-arguments.

On 13 May 2011, at 18:34, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 13/05/2011 18:53, Allan Dowdeswell a écrit :
>> As a certified member of the Graphic Designers of Canada I should let
>> you know our opinion on pro bono work and contests. The GDC (Canada),
>> AIGA (USA), and ICOGRADA (International) believe that professional
>> designers should ideally be paid for their work, like any professional
>> service.
>
> As a member of the open source community, I think that people should be able to contribute if they wish to do so, without thinking about getting money but only for the sake of helping each others.
>
>> In cases where it is a charity of sorts (haxe.org) who lacks
>> the money, it is recommended that rather than holding a contest, the
>> organisation should request that parties who are willing to do it
>> pro-bono submit a portfolio of their work. From that point Haxe.org
>> would go into dialogue with a short-list (preferably one) of the
>> designers, so that the full vision for the design can be communicated
>> and responded to properly by the designer via a number of design
>> proofs/versions. If Haxe.org feels a gratuity is appropriate, it should
>> be given to all parties who work on the project. In this way, you are
>> guaranteed to get a better design in the end, and you're not wasting the
>> time of talented individuals who submitted designs but didn't happen to
>> win.
>
> It is not a question of "lacking money" or feeling that gratuity is "appropriate", this is only about giving without hope of receiving something - money or ego boost - in return (except many thanks from the whole community).
>
> Yes I know, it sounds a bit idealistic, but I guess that's what free software is about, IMHO.

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Confidant
 >Allan, are you aware of how haxe came to be in the first place? and
how the
 >different targets evolved and such? do you use it?

I've been interested in haXe ever since I read that Nicholas Cannasse
was working on it instead of an AS3 version of MTASC. I started using
it in real projects this year.

I think what you may be getting at is that all of haXe is a
collaborative effort. I appreciate that, and I'm not here to be the
scowly design nazi who's wrapping your knuckles when all we want to do
(I include myself in this) is contribute to the benefit of a great
tool. I really appreciate the welcoming attitude despite my offering
of what may be perceived as a harsh criticism. Perhaps we would be
closer to a true "teamwork" approach by forming a wiki design
committee. Interested parties could join the committee, the designers
on the committee could submit their ideas for group critique, then the
committee could decide on a) what changes need to be made and b) which
one designer would be best suited to bring it to completion.

Nice logo by the way.
Cheers!
-Allan

Re: Wiki Design Contest

davidedc

first draft:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9IoFN4Io_zNZTA1NTUzYTctZDg1OC00YmZhLThkOTAtMWQ0MGJkOTYwOTcw&hl=en_GB

I improvised a "write on the side of the picture" logo - I hope this is "in brand" :-)

Before I move on to some CSS maybe I'd like to sense what kind of style is more appropriate, so this is just a photoshops for the time being.

What "tone of message" do we want. Or we don't want?

I like that logo too, by the way.

Cheers,
Davide

On 13 May 2011, at 15:16, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 13/05/2011 16:13, postite a écrit :
>> what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss ...
>
> Additional rule :
>
> - hss files are accepted as well, but there's no wiki hss right now since it's quite old already ;)

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Franco Ponticelli
Nice work Davide, less talk, more action ;)

Frnaco

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:29 PM, Davide Della Casa <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,

first draft:
https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9IoFN4Io_zNZTA1NTUzYTctZDg1OC00YmZhLThkOTAtMWQ0MGJkOTYwOTcw&hl=en_GB

I improvised a "write on the side of the picture" logo - I hope this is "in brand" :-)

Before I move on to some CSS maybe I'd like to sense what kind of style is more appropriate, so this is just a photoshops for the time being.

What "tone of message" do we want. Or we don't want?

I like that logo too, by the way.

Cheers,
Davide

On 13 May 2011, at 15:16, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:

> Le 13/05/2011 16:13, postite a écrit :
>> what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss ...
>
> Additional rule :
>
> - hss files are accepted as well, but there's no wiki hss right now since it's quite old already ;)

Re: Wiki Design Contest

David

I would like to see haxe blogs integrated into a window on the front
page so that users information could keep the front page up to date
and relevant and would make sure there was graphics and users would be
more aware of new things related to haXe, obviously we may need to
filter the blog slightly to keep a haXe focus.

http://www.google.com/reader/shared/user/13356518299296258863/label/Share

I don't feel the black HAXE text is set in stone I think it could be
orange or white, but I don't feel that maybe we should introduce too
many colours as in your design... sorry not overly keen on the blue
grey.  I would quite like a black design with the blog as a window on
the right in white, something quite clean and sleak and slightly dark.

The login area does not need to be so large.  I would love to see
designs prior to trying to fit it with css etc, there are some very
technical people here so I am sure any good design can be accommodated
as long as it fits with content, but front page is very important.

But it's certainly a good design just not very exciting.

For instance I am not so keen on the away3d design details ( http://www.away3d.com/
  ) but the concept of image text on the front page seems provide a
good entry point... ( I suggest blogs because you can be sure they
will be kept up to date and current content looks good ).

Cheers

;J

On 13 May 2011, at 22:29, Davide Della Casa wrote:

> Hi,
>
> first draft:
> https://docs.google.com/leaf?id=0B9IoFN4Io_zNZTA1NTUzYTctZDg1OC00YmZhLThkOTAtMWQ0MGJkOTYwOTcw&hl=en_GB
>
> I improvised a "write on the side of the picture" logo - I hope this
> is "in brand" :-)
>
> Before I move on to some CSS maybe I'd like to sense what kind of
> style is more appropriate, so this is just a photoshops for the time
> being.
>
> What "tone of message" do we want. Or we don't want?
>
> I like that logo too, by the way.
>
> Cheers,
> Davide
>

> On 13 May 2011, at 15:16, Nicolas Cannasse wrote:
>
>> Le 13/05/2011 16:13, postite a écrit :
>>> what ? a css file ? i thought you'd  have used hss ...
>>
>> Additional rule :
>>
>> - hss files are accepted as well, but there's no wiki hss right now
>> since it's quite old already ;)
>>
>> Nicolas

Re: Wiki Design Contest

sventunus
Dear Allan,

Though I respect your opinion, I do question your intent for posting that reaction on this list.
It seems to me that, if you're anything of a "professional" at all, it would be highly unlikely you've never used a piece of open-source software at all.
And that you'd have an understanding of what the open-source community is all about, how it erupts and why it is very valuable.

You're on this list because you use haXe. Otherwise, why would you be here in the first place?
How would you compare your own statement to using haXe if you're not paying for it?
You can benefit from using this great language because of Nicolas' decision to open-source it, so other people could benefit from it too and so that it could grow and evolve much more rapidly.

We all try to contribute in one way or another, and that's A Good Thing.
Because it pushes the project. But also because it shows that we, modern people driven by the need to provide for our families and to gain status, are still able to sacrifice time and effort in doing things that don't have a direct financial or otherwise beneficial return, except for knowing that you've been able to give a little back (or maybe even just giving a bunch) to a community.

I won't be bothering you with phylosophy or ethics since your post doesn't incline much study on that subject either.
But if ever you retire from the Union and should get bored waiting to die, might I recommend reading Spinoza and Sartre?
Maybe even throw in some Descartes while you're at it?
If you retire early enough and read the books, you might just have some time left to actually contribute something... apart from the Union.
Good luck!

Sven

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 8:30 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

I'm a haXe target!

Re: Wiki Design Contest

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
I agree with Allen and understand how he feels. This is a general
problem around the globe, that designers are taken for a ride and
asked to do work that's "good for their folio" etc. But as stated
above it's not what were asking for here. Were asking designers to be
involved in the same way that devs are here- by contributing to the
community. Powerflasher did the new logo- so were not a '99 designs'
asking for a shotgun approach to design. I'm sure when the 'entries'
are in there will be discussion about what's good etc

On Friday, May 13, 2011, Sven Dens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>

> As a certified member of the Graphic Designers of Canada I should let you know our opinion on pro bono work and contests. The GDC (Canada), AIGA (USA), and ICOGRADA (International) believe that professional designers should ideally be paid for their work, like any professional service. In cases where it is a charity of sorts (haxe.org) who lacks the money, it is recommended that rather than holding a contest, the organisation should request that parties who are willing to do it pro-bono submit a portfolio of their work. From that point Haxe.org would go into dialogue with a short-list (preferably one) of the designers, so that the full vision for the design can be communicated and responded to properly by the designer via a number of design proofs/versions. If Haxe.org feels a gratuity is appropriate, it should be given to all parties who work on the project. In this way, you are guaranteed to get a better design in the end, and you're not wasting the time of talented individuals who submitted designs but didn't happen to win.

Re: Wiki Design Contest

davidedc
I Justin,

I'm going through some dark designs for finding some inspiration.

In general, I find them "dramatic", and pictures stand out very well. But the readability suffers, I think - because they either force you to use a light text on a dark background (which is a bit daring), or they force you to have a patch of light background (like in the away3d case), which creates a significant contrast (challenging to the eye).

I see the benefits in a blog - where one reads two minutes tops, but in a wiki I'm probably expecting to browse through and edit content for any length of time, so I'm not so sure that would work well.

Maybe what I'm looking at is not the level of darkness that you have in mind.

Can you send a link or two about what you mean by black or dark design? Is away 3d site what you have in mind or you only like the header of it?