Why a mailing list?

danielku15
Hi Everyone.

The post of Tolga Dogrusöz inspired me to this message. Why is all the support handled by an obsolete mailing list.

There are much better technologies like forums, getsatisfaction and google moderator to handle support and problems. I am thinking of a Categorized Forum (i.E. community.haxe.org) where developers can discuss about Haxe, handle problems, send in suggestions and present their applications. Also announcements like the progress of Cauê Waneck's C#/Java could be placed central.

I am annoyed of all the mails in my inbox. I want to participate on helping problems, but this mailing list is an ugly and uncomfortable thing to me. Of course there is this small forum on the haxe page, but it is not designed very well. Wouldn't be a simple phpBB with some categories better? You could import all threads from the mailing list to have some startup-content.

Greetings
Daniel

Re: Why a mailing list?

Jan_Flanders

On Wed, May 4, 2011 at 11:56 PM, danielku15 <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Everyone.

Why is all the support handled by an obsolete mailing list.

It has been discussed several times in the past:

http://www.google.com/search?sitesearch=lists.motion-twin.com%2Fpipermail%2FHaxe&q=forum

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/ is as close to a forum as you're gonna get...

Jan

Re: Why a mailing list?

Tolga Dogrusöz
Jan talked about http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/ - I've seen it
today the first time. Very nice gui for this mailing list. There are
even "reply"-Buttons ...

But there's time after work. If you want to start a new project (coded
in haxe for sure), for this mailing list, I'm on the spot, okay? I got
two hands and something squishy in my head that could help :-P

Greetings
Tolga

2011/5/4 danielku15 <[hidden email]>:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> The post of Tolga Dogrusöz inspired me to this message. Why is all the
> support handled by an obsolete mailing list.
>
> There are much better technologies like forums, getsatisfaction and google
> moderator to handle support and problems. I am thinking of a Categorized
> Forum (i.E. community.haxe.org) where developers can discuss about Haxe,
> handle problems, send in suggestions and present their applications. Also
> announcements like the progress of Cauê Waneck's C#/Java could be placed
> central.
>
> I am annoyed of all the mails in my inbox. I want to participate on helping
> problems, but this mailing list is an ugly and uncomfortable thing to me. Of
> course there is this small forum on the haxe page, but it is not designed
> very well. Wouldn't be a simple phpBB with some categories better? You could
> import all threads from the mailing list to have some startup-content.
>
> Greetings
> Daniel

Re: Why a mailing list?

MarcWeber
> I am annoyed of all the mails in my inbox. I want to participate on helping
Why?

Use a proper mail client such as sup. Then you can kill threads and all
replies to threads will never ever appear again in your inbox.o

Having to use browsers is annoying to me :)

So probably the perfect solution allows everything..
AFAIK Plone provides both: a mail and web interface to discussions.

If you're annoyed by the amount of emails create filter rules and move
all haxe related posts to a folder and read that once a week :)

Marc Weber

Re: Why a mailing list?

Lars Madson
I (We!) LOVE THE MAILING LIST!!

** Filter Filter **

[OT]Have you seen that:
http://www.earslap.com/projectslab/otomata?q=4u3e42563n

Done with HaXe by someone of our community, and he did a DSP
library...!!! :P

It's all about love in here ..

On 05/05/2011 12:18 AM, Marc Weber wrote:

>> I am annoyed of all the mails in my inbox. I want to participate on helping
> Why?
>
> Use a proper mail client such as sup. Then you can kill threads and all
> replies to threads will never ever appear again in your inbox.o
>
> Having to use browsers is annoying to me :)
>
> So probably the perfect solution allows everything..
> AFAIK Plone provides both: a mail and web interface to discussions.
>
> If you're annoyed by the amount of emails create filter rules and move
> all haxe related posts to a folder and read that once a week :)
>
> Marc Weber

RE: Why a mailing list?

Lee Sylvester
I concur.  The mailing list rocks!

Lee

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Why a mailing list?

Justin Donaldson-3
By the way, gmail makes it dead simple to filter messages from lists.  Just show the details for one of the ml messages. I like being able to flag all the haxe ml messages, color them orange, and keep them out of my normal inbox :)

the haxe ml is better than the hadoop ml, if you're wondering.

-Justin

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Screen shot 2011-05-04 at 5.15.27 PM.png (30K) Download Attachment
Screen shot 2011-05-04 at 5.17.34 PM.png (9K) Download Attachment

Re: Why a mailing list?

Cauê W.
Oh well, but I still think that a forum would make a much better online presence.

And it's not so hard to do it, I've seen forums that work this way, you receive all messages in the forums in your mail box as well, and you can reply from there. The only thing is that you need to post a new message in the forum itself, so it gets nicely categorised.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Why a mailing list?

jlm@justinfront.net
[haXe][php] ....
I think we could find a ways to categorize there are smart implementers here maybe this weekend we can discuss.

--
haXe - an open source web programming language http://haxe.org

Re: Why a mailing list?

Tyler MacLeod-2
Speaking of "obsolete" technologies, I follow this and many other
mailing lists through a news server.
http://dir.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haxe.general

- Tyler MacLeod

On 04/05/2011 6:56 PM, danielku15 wrote:

> Hi Everyone.
>
> The post of Tolga Dogrusöz inspired me to this message. Why is all the
> support handled by an obsolete mailing list.
>
> There are much better technologies like forums, getsatisfaction and google
> moderator to handle support and problems. I am thinking of a Categorized
> Forum (i.E. community.haxe.org) where developers can discuss about Haxe,
> handle problems, send in suggestions and present their applications. Also
> announcements like the progress of Cauê Waneck's C#/Java could be placed
> central.
>
> I am annoyed of all the mails in my inbox. I want to participate on helping
> problems, but this mailing list is an ugly and uncomfortable thing to me. Of
> course there is this small forum on the haxe page, but it is not designed
> very well. Wouldn't be a simple phpBB with some categories better? You could
> import all threads from the mailing list to have some startup-content.
>
> Greetings
> Daniel

Re: Why a mailing list?

Jason O'Neil
On Thu, May 5, 2011 at 8:49 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
> I think we could find a ways to categorize there are smart implementers here
> maybe this weekend we can discuss.

Even if a forum category was simply "Mailing List <Uncategorized>",
where all mailing list threads default to.  A moderator could from
there move it into an appropriate category / forum.

I also prefer the mailing list, but definitely a forum is useful for
people new to haxe, or people who only use it occasionally and want to
ask a question and get an answer, and not necessarily be continuously
subscribed to threads that aren't relevant or that they don't even
understand yet.

Because in fairness this list does range from complete newbie
questions to advanced topics about the optimisations and the compiler
source code and new targets and ... you can see how someone new to
haxe might feel overwhelmed.

Jason

Re: Why a mailing list?

tom rhodes
speaking as someone who only understands the basics of using haxe and nothing about the compiler OCAML side, it is a little baffling, but i actually like reading about it from time to time. it's like reading about magic ;)