Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
I have to consider taking previous version of Haxe in order to be able to use it for cpp development (I am to days late o my schedule :\ ).

So if you are working with the cpp target and have no issues with the cpp backend, please let me know which version do you use.

The compilation issues I am talking about are the one which involve a 'add a temporary var to help the compiler' workaround.

Would really like to know when it will be fixed, however; this is a blessing to have such a haxe backend!
(I wonder if the java / C# target didn't had similar issues)

Thanks!
Stephane

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

Jan_Flanders
sledorze wrote
 please let me know which version do you use. The compilation issues I am talking about are the one which involve a 'add a temporary var to help the compiler' workaround.
This issue+workaround has been there since the first hxcpp version. As said before, a real fix would be nice, but I still think this is a small price to pay. It doesn't break any code that you can't easily fix yourself.

Jan

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
It really depends of the programming style.
If one relies a lot on local/nested functions, like I do, which is the atom in the functional universe, then you may have to change most of a library code.
Try compiling Stax for a real world scenario..

I am sorry to say that but it is abusing to name hxccp a ccp target of the haxe language, it is in its current form a compiler of a subset of the language.
Now I am in a pretty bad position, I know I will not be able to deliver in time. And believe me; this is not a small price to pay.
My fault, I should have checked myself earlier.

So don't take it bad, but we should be objective and not minimize potential issues, otherwise, how can one trust us?

I just want to prevent some people to think it's a matter of a few fixes, like I did.. It could be a real show stopper either in the short or the long term.

That's said; again, I appreciate the effort and people which involves their time doing this target (like I do not), really.

Stephane

On Tue, Mar 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM, Jan_Flanders [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
sledorze wrote:
 please let me know which version do you use. The compilation issues I am talking about are the one which involve a 'add a temporary var to help the compiler' workaround.
This issue+workaround has been there since the first hxcpp version. As said before, a real fix would be nice, but I still think this is a small price to pay. It doesn't break any code that you can't easily fix yourself.

Jan

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Which-haxe-cpp-version-works-tp6172073p6172443.html
To unsubscribe from Which haxe -> cpp version works?, click here.

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Le 15/03/2011 10:31, sledorze a écrit :
> I have to consider taking previous version of Haxe in order to be able to use
> it for cpp development (I am to days late o my schedule :\ ).
>
> So if you are working with the cpp target and have no issues with the cpp
> backend, please let me know which version do you use.
>
> The compilation issues I am talking about are the one which involve a 'add a
> temporary var to help the compiler' workaround.

Usually, the most recent version - either SVN or 2.07 - is the one with
the less bugs. There can be some regression issues by using live SVN,
but these are usually fixed quite quickly.

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

Heinz Hölzer-2
You really need to post each issue that you find.
Hugh is really fast in fixing bugs, but he needs to know about them.

sledorze wrote:
 please let me know which version do you use. The compilation issues I am talking about are the one which involve a 'add a temporary var to help the compiler' workaround.
This issue+workaround has been there since the first hxcpp version. As said before, a real fix would be nice, but I still think this is a small price to pay. It doesn't break any code that you can't easily fix yourself.

Jan

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Which-haxe-cpp-version-works-tp6172073p6172443.html

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
I tried both the official and the last version but it looks like an accepted restriction on the programs accepted by the cpp backend.

I am looking at the compiler internals to see if we have enough information to statically type cast each expression evaluation so that it won't complain on having method calls on Dynamic types (I dunno why there's this erasure).
However, I am not sure it covers all problems and in addition looking at the code is pretty involving..

One second, I was wondering if doing a general macro pass would not be easier, but looks like we cannot apply macro to whole programs..

I think I better do the work I can on the other fronts and look at this with less time pressure, it's bugging me..

Thanks for the answers,
Stephane

It's done :)

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
I confirm,
Congrats to Hugh!
The fixes are already commited and I've tested them successfully :)

However, new problems have just appeared, I hope to be able to provide all the necessary samples (one have already been submitted) so that we can have a working target soon :)

Again Thanks hugh for your reactivity!

Stephane

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
Just thinking about it..

Is there any automated compiler backend tests?

If so, we could consolidate them with the valid snippets we report as issues.

Doing so we can share them on alls targets (most of the compiler related issues would apply); it could be very useful for the upcoming java/c# targets and for tracking regressions..

Stephane

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

I would be happy include a set of tests in my release.
Currently I test against
http://code.google.com/p/haxe/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Ftests%2Funit
and
http://code.google.com/p/utest/

I have been meaning to add all the snippets from my issue list into one
(utest),
but have not got my finger out.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Hugh

> Just thinking about it..
>
> Is there any automated compiler backend tests?
>
> If so, we could consolidate them with the valid snippets we report as
> issues.
>
> Doing so we can share them on alls targets (most of the compiler related
> issues would apply); it could be very useful for the upcoming java/c#
> targets and for tracking regressions..
>
> Stephane

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
Is it done to test compilation correctness itself?

On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Hugh Sanderson [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi,
I would be happy include a set of tests in my release.
Currently I test against
http://code.google.com/p/haxe/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Ftests%2Funit
and
http://code.google.com/p/utest/

I have been meaning to add all the snippets from my issue list into one
(utest),
but have not got my finger out.

Any help here would be appreciated.

Hugh

> Just thinking about it..
>
> Is there any automated compiler backend tests?
>
> If so, we could consolidate them with the valid snippets we report as
> issues.
>
> Doing so we can share them on alls targets (most of the compiler related
> issues would apply); it could be very useful for the upcoming java/c#
> targets and for tracking regressions..
>
> Stephane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Which-haxe-cpp-version-works-tp6172073p6177032.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

Gamehaxe
If the tests don't compile, 0%.  :(  (or, comment out the offending line)
Otherwise, you get the runtime result.

Hugh

> Is it done to test compilation correctness itself?
>

> On Wed, Mar 16, 2011 at 4:41 PM, Hugh Sanderson [via Haxe] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> I would be happy include a set of tests in my release.
>> Currently I test against
>> http://code.google.com/p/haxe/source/browse/#svn%2Ftrunk%2Ftests%2Funit
>> and
>> http://code.google.com/p/utest/
>>
>> I have been meaning to add all the snippets from my issue list into one
>> (utest),
>> but have not got my finger out.
>>
>> Any help here would be appreciated.
>>
>> Hugh
>>
>> > Just thinking about it..
>> >
>> > Is there any automated compiler backend tests?
>> >
>> > If so, we could consolidate them with the valid snippets we report as
>> > issues.
>> >
>> > Doing so we can share them on alls targets (most of the compiler
>> related
>> > issues would apply); it could be very useful for the upcoming java/c#
>> > targets and for tracking regressions..
>> >
>> > Stephane
>> >

>> > --

>> here<

Re: Which haxe -> cpp version works?

sledorze
Hummm..
If you want I can commit the examples I sent you, however, some are still failing..
Let me know.. (I would need commit access)
Stephane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/Which-haxe-cpp-version-works-tp6172073p6177099.html