Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Alex Liebert
Hi there,

Please excuse what's probably a dumb question - I've been trying to chase down why any hxcpp / neash project i build crashes on execution.  From reading various threads I thought I might need nme.dll in the same  directory - but the file  doesn't seem to be part of nme/neash/hxcpp anything installed by haxelib.  Is it no longer used?  I copied the (presumably old) copy of nme.dll out of the zip Tony posted on his blog, which prevents the crash but gives me a string of 'could not find primitive nme_' errors.

What obvious thing am I missing?

Thank you!

Alex

Re: Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Tony Polinelli
look in the program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/hxcpp/nme/xxx/ndll ? i
think it is something like that ndll, or bin, or binaries, it will be
in there somewhere. Then get the one for your system.

You can copy it to the folder, or maybe setup an environment var - i
just copy it as i hate messing with those things.

cheers

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Viktor Hesselbom
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> In addition to installing neash you also have to install the nme library,
> i.e. "haxelib install nme". In there you will find the required .ndll files.
>
> 2010/1/29 Alex Liebert <[hidden email]>
>>
>> Hi there,
>>
>> Please excuse what's probably a dumb question - I've been trying to chase
>> down why any hxcpp / neash project i build crashes on execution.  From
>> reading various threads I thought I might need nme.dll in the same
>> directory - but the file  doesn't seem to be part of nme/neash/hxcpp
>> anything installed by haxelib.  Is it no longer used?  I copied the
>> (presumably old) copy of nme.dll out of the zip Tony posted on his blog,
>> which prevents the crash but gives me a string of 'could not find primitive
>> nme_' errors.
>>
>> What obvious thing am I missing?
>>
>> Thank you!
>>
>> Alex

Re: Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Tony Polinelli
oops more like
program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/nme/xxx/ndll
(no hxcpp)

On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]> wrote:

> look in the program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/hxcpp/nme/xxx/ndll ? i
> think it is something like that ndll, or bin, or binaries, it will be
> in there somewhere. Then get the one for your system.
>
> You can copy it to the folder, or maybe setup an environment var - i
> just copy it as i hate messing with those things.
>
> cheers
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Viktor Hesselbom
> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>> In addition to installing neash you also have to install the nme library,
>> i.e. "haxelib install nme". In there you will find the required .ndll files.
>>
>> 2010/1/29 Alex Liebert <[hidden email]>
>>>
>>> Hi there,
>>>
>>> Please excuse what's probably a dumb question - I've been trying to chase
>>> down why any hxcpp / neash project i build crashes on execution.  From
>>> reading various threads I thought I might need nme.dll in the same
>>> directory - but the file  doesn't seem to be part of nme/neash/hxcpp
>>> anything installed by haxelib.  Is it no longer used?  I copied the
>>> (presumably old) copy of nme.dll out of the zip Tony posted on his blog,
>>> which prevents the crash but gives me a string of 'could not find primitive
>>> nme_' errors.
>>>
>>> What obvious thing am I missing?
>>>
>>> Thank you!
>>>
>>> Alex

> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Alex Liebert
Thanks guys-but  I already have nme.Ndll in the folder, along with
nekoapi.dll and the other standard libs.  It still crashes though.
Older hxcpp releases used nme.dll (no 'n') which isn't in any of those
places...I could only find it in the jellyroids demo zip.   When I
include the dll, it doesn't crash but throws the can't find module
errors.

I have latest hxcpp, haxe, nme and neash installed and have copied all
relevant ndll and dll files to the bin directory I think.

Do I have to rebuild nme.Ndll from source?  Not sure what i'm missing
at this point or how to debug.

Thanks again

Alex

On Jan 29, 2010, at 2:57 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
wrote:

> oops more like
> program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/nme/xxx/ndll
> (no hxcpp)
>
> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>> look in the program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/hxcpp/nme/xxx/ndll ? i
>> think it is something like that ndll, or bin, or binaries, it will be
>> in there somewhere. Then get the one for your system.
>>
>> You can copy it to the folder, or maybe setup an environment var - i
>> just copy it as i hate messing with those things.
>>
>> cheers
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:10 PM, Viktor Hesselbom
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>> In addition to installing neash you also have to install the nme
>>> library,
>>> i.e. "haxelib install nme". In there you will find the
>>> required .ndll files.

>> Tony Polinelli
>> http://touchmypixel.com
>>

> --
> Tony Polinelli
> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Hxcpp can load both ".dll" and ".ndll" files.  The idea is to avoid naming
confilicts with the standard neko dlls, (std.ndll, regexp.ndll zlib.ndll).

nme.ndll can be loaded by both neko and hxcpp runtimes.  For neko,
it requires a thin translation layer which is in nekoapi.dll.
So if you are using hxcpp code, you do not need nekoapi.dll,
but for neko you do.  In both cases, it loads nme.ndll.
This can be found by using haxelib to install the latest nme.

The neko system will look for this nme.ndll using the standard neko
search path rules.  Hxcpp mimics these rules, and you can check
this by setting the environment variable HXCPP_DEBUG_LOAD and
viewing the output in the console.  nme.DLL is the "old" version
that was for hxcpp only - now neko & hxcpp are in the same ndll.

If you can give some kind of trace for the crash, that would
be helpful.  Does it crash on both neko & hxcpp?
Try the 9-Graphics example in the nme samples directory.

Hugh

> Thanks guys-but  I already have nme.Ndll in the folder, along with
> nekoapi.dll and the other standard libs.  It still crashes though.
> Older hxcpp releases used nme.dll (no 'n') which isn't in any of those
> places...I could only find it in the jellyroids demo zip.   When I
> include the dll, it doesn't crash but throws the can't find module
> errors.
>
> I have latest hxcpp, haxe, nme and neash installed and have copied all
> relevant ndll and dll files to the bin directory I think.
>
> Do I have to rebuild nme.Ndll from source?  Not sure what i'm missing at
> this point or how to debug.
>
> Thanks again
>
> Alex
>

> On Jan 29, 2010, at 2:57 AM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> oops more like
>> program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/nme/xxx/ndll
>> (no hxcpp)
>>
>> On Fri, Jan 29, 2010 at 9:56 PM, Tony Polinelli <[hidden email]
>> > wrote:
>>> look in the program files/motion twin/haxe/lib/hxcpp/nme/xxx/ndll ? i
>>> think it is something like that ndll, or bin, or binaries, it will be
>>> in there somewhere. Then get the one for your system.
>>>
>>> You can copy it to the folder, or maybe setup an environment var - i
>>> just copy it as i hate messing with those things.
>>>
>>> cheers

>>> --
>>> Tony Polinelli
>>> http://touchmypixel.com
>>>

>> --Tony Polinelli
>> http://touchmypixel.com

Re: Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Heinz Hölzer-2
this could help:

"You can try this yourself with "haxelib run hxcpp BuildLibs.xml" from
the hxcpp "runtime" directory.  I will update the build soon - just waiting
to see if I need to add anything else. " (hugh)

cheers
heinz

<[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Thanks hugh!

I've set HXCPP_DEBUG_LOAD to '1'.  Doesn't seem to make a difference though.  (Should I be setting it to 'true' instead of something else?)

When running with nme.dll in the directory:

Could not find primitive nme_draw_objects_to__5.
Could not find primitive nme_clone_texture_buffer__1.
Could not find primitive nme_get_pixel__3.
Could not find primitive nme_get_pixel32__3.
Could not find primitive nme_get_transparent__1.
Could not find primitive nme_set_pixel32_ex__5.
Could not find primitive nme_sound_loadbytearray__1.
Could not find primitive nme_sound_loadbytes__2.
Could not find primitive nme_sound_getlength__1.
Could not find primitive nme_sound_setchannelposition__2.

When running without it in the directory, but WITH nme.ndll:

crashes.  Windows error report attached, dont know if it's good for anything.  Will try the sample builds in a moment and see if anythings different.

Thanks,

Alex

Hi,

b88_appcompat.txt (8K) Download Attachment

Re: Where to get nme.dll? (needed?)

Alex Liebert
Okay, both the nme and neash sample graphics tests (9 and 7) build fine.

I have to apologize because the problem seems to be with FlashDevelop - when I abandon FD's haxecpp build template and compile my project from the command line - no crashes.  However, the FD template seems to be executing haxe with the same params - as soon as I figure out what's missing I'll let the list now, and the FD folks.

Thanks, will post an update when I have it sorted...

Alex

On Sat, Jan 30, 2010 at 2:55 PM, Alex Liebert <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

The hxcpp.dll code is no longer used, and neko.dll should not
be in a hxcpp exe, so I suspect there is a versioning error somewhere.
Check for a stray $HXCPP variable set to the wrong build.

Hugh

> [...]
>>> zlib.ndll).
>>>
>>> nme.ndll can be loaded by both neko and hxcpp runtimes.  For neko,
>>> it requires a thin translation layer which is in nekoapi.dll.
>>> So if you are using hxcpp code, you do not need nekoapi.dll,
>>> but for neko you do.  In both cases, it loads nme.ndll.
>>> This can be found by using haxelib to install the latest nme.
>>>
>>> The neko system will look for this nme.ndll using the standard neko
>>> search path rules.  Hxcpp mimics these rules, and you can check
>>> this by setting the environment variable HXCPP_DEBUG_LOAD and
>>> viewing the output in the console.  nme.DLL is the "old" version
>>> that was for hxcpp only - now neko & hxcpp are in the same ndll.
>>>
>>> If you can give some kind of trace for the crash, that would
>>> be helpful.  Does it crash on both neko & hxcpp?
>>> Try the 9-Graphics example in the nme samples directory.

Niel Drummond-3
gershon wrote:
> how does one compile\get an alternate nme.ndll ? specifically, a 64bit
> elf...
hey gershon and hugh,

I've been trying to compile the nme/hxcpp/static-sdl stack on a
virtualized 64-bit linux image. So far the neko side of nme seems to be
working relatively well, none of the examples are failing, all compiled
and linking to pure 64-bit libraries. However, the cpp side is still
segfaulting on me for nme1 [1] and doesn't pick up the ndll on nme2, I
also can't get Socket.cpp combiled [2]. :-|

Briefly, to get 64-bit nme compiled you need 64-bit libgc, neko, hxcpp,
static-sdl, and nme. hxcpp expects the environment variable HXCPP_M64 to
be set, -Dsdl seems to be a desirable build flag, and as mentioned
elsewhere sources should compile with the -fPIC flag.

I've tar-ed my hxcpp/bin/Linux and sdl-static/lib/Linux - you can point
your LD_LIBRARY_PATH to both sub-directories of the unpacked archives,
or replace your local copy with the compiled binaries. I've copied the
nme binaries into hxcpp, because oddly enough that is where the 'haxe
-cpp' command seems to want to find them.

http://cyanescent.co.uk/hxcpp_nme-linux-x86_64-r156_r308.tar.gz
http://cyanescent.co.uk/sdl-static-linux-x86_64-r30.tar.gz

- Niel

[1]
samples/8-Simple-Game-Loop: haxe Cpp.hxml && HXCPP_LOAD_DEBUG=y cpp/Simple

(gdb) run
Starting program: /root/nme/samples/8-Simple-Game-Loop/cpp/Simple
Searching for nme...
try nme.dso...
try /root/hxcpp//bin/Linux/nme.dso...
try nme.ndll...
Searching for std...
try std.dso...
try /root/hxcpp//bin/Linux/std.dso...
try std.ndll...

0x00007ffff498c581 in neko_val_id () from /root/neko-1.8.1/bin/libneko.so

(gdb) #0 0x00007ffff498c581 in neko_val_id () from /root/neko-1.8.1/bin/lib
#1 0x00007ffff4b9ac40 in std_main () from /root/neko-1.8.1/bin/std.ndll
#2 0x000000000047f90a in __loadprim(String, String, int) ()
#3 0x0000000000474ef2 in cpp::Lib_obj::load(String, String, int) ()
#4 0x000000000046ec7f in haxe::io::Input_obj::__boot() ()
#5 0x0000000000475faa in __boot_all() ()
#6 0x00000000004760e1 in main ()

[2] in hxcpp/runtime
gcc -c -fvisibility=hidden -O2 -DHX_LINUX -I/root/hxcpp//include -fPIC
-frtti .//libs/std/Sys.cpp -oobj/linux//libs/std/Sys.o
In file included from .//libs/std/Sys.cpp:17:
/root/hxcpp//include/hx/CFFI.h: In function `bool val_get_bool(_value*)':
/root/hxcpp//include/hx/CFFI.h:185: warning: deprecated conversion from
string constant to `char*'
/root/hxcpp//include/hx/CFFI.h:185: warning: deprecated conversion from
string constant to `char*'
/root/hxcpp//include/hx/CFFI.h: In function `int val_get_int(_value*)':
/root/hxcpp//include/hx/CFFI.h:186: warning: deprecated conversion from
string constant to `char*'

... [lots of warnings]

.//libs/std/Socket.cpp: In function ‘_value* socket_new(_value*)’:
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:120: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:120: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp: In function ‘_value* socket_close(_value*)’:
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:145: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:145: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:147: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘socket_int’
loses precision
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp: In function ‘_value* socket_send_char(_value*,
_value*)’:
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:160: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:160: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:161: warning: deprecated conversion from string
constant to ‘char*’
.//libs/std/Socket.cpp:168: error: cast from ‘void*’ to ‘socket_int’
loses precision

... [lots more of the same]

> [...]
>                     (presumably old) copy of nme.dll out of the zip
>                     Tony posted on his blog,
>                     which prevents the crash but gives me a string of
>                     'could not find primitive
>                     nme_' errors.
>
>                     What obvious thing am I missing?
>
>                     Thank you!
>
>                     Alex
>

>                     --
>                     haXe - an open source web programming language
>                     http://haxe.org
>

>                 --
>                 haXe - an open source web programming language
>                 http://haxe.org
>

>             --
>             Tony Polinelli
>             http://touchmypixel.com
>

>         --
>         Tony Polinelli
>         http://touchmypixel.com
>
>         --
>         haXe - an open source web programming language

Hugh Sanderson-2
Hi Neil,

Looks like you have done all the hard work.
The fact that it works on neko is very good news, since
that means nme & nekoapi are both  good.  nme2 should
not be used at this stage.

The problem with the crash is that the loader ends up loading
the neko version of std.ndll, instead of the hxcpp one.

The fact that:

/root/hxcpp//bin/Linux/std.dso

failed is the clue.  Does that file exist and is it 64 bit?
I can see I'm going to have the use

/root/hxcpp//bin/Linux64/std.dso

instead soon.

For the socket problem, you may just need to change the typedef:

#include <stdint.h>
typedef uint64_t socket_int;

I thought I had addressed that, but it seems I have not.

You can pass defines from the haxe command-line/hxml with "-D HXCPP_M64",
or directly to the "haxelib run hxcpp" with "-DHXCPP_M64".

Hugh Sanderson wrote:

> Hi Neil,
>
> Looks like you have done all the hard work.
> The fact that it works on neko is very good news, since
> that means nme & nekoapi are both  good.  nme2 should
> not be used at this stage.
>
> The problem with the crash is that the loader ends up loading
> the neko version of std.ndll, instead of the hxcpp one.
>
> The fact that:
>
> /root/hxcpp//bin/Linux/std.dso
>
> failed is the clue.  Does that file exist and is it 64 bit?
> I can see I'm going to have the use
>
> /root/hxcpp//bin/Linux64/std.dso
>
> instead soon.
>

> For the socket problem, you may just need to change the typedef:
>
> #include <stdint.h>
> typedef uint64_t socket_int;
>
> I thought I had addressed that, but it seems I have not.
>
> You can pass defines from the haxe command-line/hxml with "-D HXCPP_M64",
> or directly to the "haxelib run hxcpp" with "-DHXCPP_M64".
Yep, the socket issue seems to have been covered before in previous
mails, and I've now successfully managed to compile hxcpp in its
entirety.. anyway, the examples for nme c++ seem to work well currently
(tars are updated) - sound is still untested.

As far as gcc is concerned in all this, there were some issues related
to gcc 4.3/4.4:

http://www.cyrius.com/journal/gcc/gcc-4.3-include.html

so presumably this problem also applies to other builds, which results
in some additional #include statements needed in a couple of places. I'd
recommend upgrading gcc to take a look.

- Niel