When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

tommedema
I believe haXe is a great thing, and I want to get working with haXe as soon as possible. However, I think there's a mayor issue with using haXe: lack of professional documentation. For example, looking at the language references, almost all classes lack accurate descriptions.

This has caused my development team to disapprove from using haXe; while I recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to this lack of documentation.

This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of Arrival for an improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that this is being worked on).

Best regards,
Tom

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Lee Sylvester
Hi Tom,

This is something that is being looked at and, believe it or not, I am
currently in the process of planning a free online documentation for
haXe on par with, if not better than the Pro haXe and Neko book. This
documentation will also be available for purchase in print, once it is
complete. However, documenting haXe is a mammoth task (I speak from
experience), so it will take a little time. I plan to release each
chapter of information on the web as and when they are completed, so
haXe users can make immediate use of this information, but if you're
proficient with haXe, it'll be a little while before much is written
that will be of use.

The documentation written will include :-

    * detailed and regularly updated class descriptions
    * solid foundation of haXe core features
    * coverage of all haXe targets
    * coverage of using haXe, such as installation, IDE's and numerous
      of the more popular libraries
    * plenty of examples and projects to aid in the learning process

As I said, this is a mammoth task, but one I intend to see completed and
maintained.

I hope this answers your questions

tommedema wrote:

> I believe haXe is a great thing, and I want to get working with haXe as soon
> as possible. However, I think there's a mayor issue with using haXe: lack of
> professional documentation. For example, looking at the language references,
> almost all classes lack accurate descriptions.
>
> This has caused my development team to disapprove from using haXe; while I
> recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to this lack of
> documentation.
>
> This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of Arrival for an
> improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that this is being
> worked on).
>
> Best regards,
> Tom

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

tom rhodes
Lee,

if there's anything that can be done to help let me know...

tommedema wrote:
I believe haXe is a great thing, and I want to get working with haXe as soon
as possible. However, I think there's a mayor issue with using haXe: lack of
professional documentation. For example, looking at the language references,
almost all classes lack accurate descriptions.

This has caused my development team to disapprove from using haXe; while I
recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to this lack of
documentation.

This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of Arrival for an
improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that this is being
worked on).

Best regards,
Tom

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Lee Sylvester
Thank you. I'm sure there will definitely be a time when I'll call on
that ;-) To begin with, there will be a major period of simply "getting
this done" that will be mostly a solitary haul. Once theres
documentation to be found online, then I'll present it in a way that it
can be contributed to by members of the community. How much time people
will want to spend is up to them, but I've found first hand that, while
it's nice to have help, writing such large amounts of text on
programming is often very overwhelming; more so than people think. When
I started the Pro haXe and Neko book, I requested help, then, and until
Franco came along, I got through three people that liked the idea of
writing a book but realised it was more than they could chew ;-)

Thanks again,
Lee

tom rhodes wrote:

> Lee,
>
> if there's anything that can be done to help let me know...
>
> On 13 May 2010 18:10, Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hi Tom,
>
>     This is something that is being looked at and, believe it or not,
>     I am currently in the process of planning a free online
>     documentation for haXe on par with, if not better than the Pro
>     haXe and Neko book. This documentation will also be available for
>     purchase in print, once it is complete. However, documenting haXe
>     is a mammoth task (I speak from experience), so it will take a
>     little time. I plan to release each chapter of information on the
>     web as and when they are completed, so haXe users can make
>     immediate use of this information, but if you're proficient with
>     haXe, it'll be a little while before much is written that will be
>     of use.
>
>     The documentation written will include :-
>
>       * detailed and regularly updated class descriptions
>       * solid foundation of haXe core features
>       * coverage of all haXe targets
>       * coverage of using haXe, such as installation, IDE's and numerous
>         of the more popular libraries
>       * plenty of examples and projects to aid in the learning process
>
>     As I said, this is a mammoth task, but one I intend to see
>     completed and maintained.
>
>     I hope this answers your questions
>
>     Regards,
>     Lee
>

>     tommedema wrote:
>
>         I believe haXe is a great thing, and I want to get working
>         with haXe as soon
>         as possible. However, I think there's a mayor issue with using
>         haXe: lack of
>         professional documentation. For example, looking at the
>         language references,
>         almost all classes lack accurate descriptions.
>
>         This has caused my development team to disapprove from using
>         haXe; while I
>         recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to
>         this lack of
>         documentation.
>
>         This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of Arrival
>         for an
>         improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that
>         this is being
>         worked on).
>
>         Best regards,
>         Tom
>

>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Thomas-8
This is how I learned haxe for generating Flash apps:

- Learn from the Pro haxe and neko book.
- Use Adobe Livedocs instead of the uncomplete haxe docs.

--
http://www.digiprof.tv - http://www.suivauto.com

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Ian Martins
Lee, in what format are you writing the new doc?  Is it TeX or something
that can be parsed?

Once it is written it will be difficult to maintain.  One thing that
could ease maintenance is writing a unit test for each example in the
doc, then running a script that pulls the code out of the doc and
compiles it along with the tests and runs them.  that way you could unit
test the doc on haxe releases.  failed tests would also indicate that
the text of that section is probably out of date.

Or you could read the changelog, I guess.

-ianxm

> On 13 May 2010 18:10, Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > This is something that is being looked at and, believe it or not, I am
> > currently in the process of planning a free online documentation for haXe on
> > par with, if not better than the Pro haXe and Neko book. This documentation
> > will also be available for purchase in print, once it is complete. However,
> > documenting haXe is a mammoth task (I speak from experience), so it will
> > take a little time. I plan to release each chapter of information on the web
> > as and when they are completed, so haXe users can make immediate use of this
> > information, but if you're proficient with haXe, it'll be a little while
> > before much is written that will be of use.
> >
> > The documentation written will include :-
> >
> >   * detailed and regularly updated class descriptions
> >   * solid foundation of haXe core features
> >   * coverage of all haXe targets
> >   * coverage of using haXe, such as installation, IDE's and numerous
> >     of the more popular libraries
> >   * plenty of examples and projects to aid in the learning process
> >
> > As I said, this is a mammoth task, but one I intend to see completed and
> > maintained.
> >
> > I hope this answers your questions
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lee
> >

> > tommedema wrote:
> >
> >> I believe haXe is a great thing, and I want to get working with haXe as
> >> soon
> >> as possible. However, I think there's a mayor issue with using haXe: lack
> >> of
> >> professional documentation. For example, looking at the language
> >> references,
> >> almost all classes lack accurate descriptions.
> >>
> >> This has caused my development team to disapprove from using haXe; while I
> >> recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to this lack of
> >> documentation.
> >>
> >> This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of Arrival for an
> >> improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that this is
> >> being
> >> worked on).
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Tom

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

tommedema
Isn't the documentation supposed to be updated whenever a new version of haXe is released, if needed?

Regards,
Tom

2010/5/14 Ian Martins <[hidden email]>
Lee, in what format are you writing the new doc?  Is it TeX or something
that can be parsed?

Once it is written it will be difficult to maintain.  One thing that
could ease maintenance is writing a unit test for each example in the
doc, then running a script that pulls the code out of the doc and
compiles it along with the tests and runs them.  that way you could unit
test the doc on haxe releases.  failed tests would also indicate that
the text of that section is probably out of date.

Or you could read the changelog, I guess.

-ianxm

> On 13 May 2010 18:10, Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
> > Hi Tom,
> >
> > This is something that is being looked at and, believe it or not, I am
> > currently in the process of planning a free online documentation for haXe on
> > par with, if not better than the Pro haXe and Neko book. This documentation
> > will also be available for purchase in print, once it is complete. However,
> > documenting haXe is a mammoth task (I speak from experience), so it will
> > take a little time. I plan to release each chapter of information on the web
> > as and when they are completed, so haXe users can make immediate use of this
> > information, but if you're proficient with haXe, it'll be a little while
> > before much is written that will be of use.
> >
> > The documentation written will include :-
> >
> >   * detailed and regularly updated class descriptions
> >   * solid foundation of haXe core features
> >   * coverage of all haXe targets
> >   * coverage of using haXe, such as installation, IDE's and numerous
> >     of the more popular libraries
> >   * plenty of examples and projects to aid in the learning process
> >
> > As I said, this is a mammoth task, but one I intend to see completed and
> > maintained.
> >
> > I hope this answers your questions
> >
> > Regards,
> > Lee
> >

> > tommedema wrote:
> >
> >> I believe haXe is a great thing, and I want to get working with haXe as
> >> soon
> >> as possible. However, I think there's a mayor issue with using haXe: lack
> >> of
> >> professional documentation. For example, looking at the language
> >> references,
> >> almost all classes lack accurate descriptions.
> >>
> >> This has caused my development team to disapprove from using haXe; while I
> >> recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to this lack of
> >> documentation.
> >>
> >> This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of Arrival for an
> >> improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that this is
> >> being
> >> worked on).
> >>
> >> Best regards,
> >> Tom

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Lee Sylvester
To an extent, yes. And that does happen, as far as the API and Reference
are concerned. However, this documentation I'll be writing will be more
along the lines of the Pro haXe and Neko book, except that it will be
maintained and provided as a free online resource, with optional
paperback purchasable version.

Lee

Tom wrote:

> [...]
>     > >>
>     > >> This has caused my development team to disapprove from using
>     haXe; while I
>     > >> recommended it, they did not feel comfortable using it due to
>     this lack of
>     > >> documentation.
>     > >>
>     > >> This is why I'm asking if there's an Estimated Time of
>     Arrival for an
>     > >> improved documentation (as the founder of haXe has noted that
>     this is
>     > >> being
>     > >> worked on).
>     > >>
>     > >> Best regards,
>     > >> Tom
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

The api is automatically updated.  The language reference and tutorials
are not.  I was thinking it would be good if the docs that lee is
working on could be kept current in an automated way.

-ianxm

On Fri, 14 May 2010 15:29 +0200, "Tom" <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Isn't the documentation supposed to be updated whenever a new version of
> haXe is released, if needed?
>
> Just like Adobe does it, eg.
> http://www.adobe.com/livedocs/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/
>
> <http://www.adobe.com/livedocs/flash/9.0/ActionScriptLangRefV3/>Regards,
> Tom
>
> 2010/5/14 Ian Martins <[hidden email]>
>
> > Lee, in what format are you writing the new doc?  Is it TeX or something
> > that can be parsed?
> >
> > Once it is written it will be difficult to maintain.  One thing that
> > could ease maintenance is writing a unit test for each example in the
> > doc, then running a script that pulls the code out of the doc and
> > compiles it along with the tests and runs them.  that way you could unit
> > test the doc on haxe releases.  failed tests would also indicate that
> > the text of that section is probably out of date.
> >
> > Or you could read the changelog, I guess.
> >
> > -ianxm

> > haXe on
> > documentation
> > However,
> > will
> > the web
> > this
> > while

> > and

> > as
> > lack

> > while I
> > lack of

> > --
> > haXe - an open source web programming language
> > http://haxe.org

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Ken Cornett

tommedema wrote:

[...]

I am personally looking forward to this day...  I have learned quite alot just from working through some of the examples like the getting started with flash quick start tutorials, and have been most impressed.  Just from what I have seen, and read on the list, and on the site, I am more impressed with haXe than with any other language I have seen / worked with in the last 18 Years, short of C++ way back when, but haXe is in a whole other league, the multiple targets, the multiple languages / libraries, I don't know what else I can say.  I can say this, I monitor this list every day, reading posts, and trying to learn what I can along the way..  but I will be one of the first in line when / if he gets the docs / and even better yet the printed manuals..  I want to get any and all books in reference to haXe if you guys would please post some of them, such as what is this Pro haXe, is this a Printed Book I can get my hands on?  Or maybe even a way to d/l the pdf or doc of it, if it is online, so I can at least print it off, and hi-lite it, and mark it up, as I tear through the pages.. ???

Thanks guys, for all of your work, I assure you it is appreciated..  At least by programmers that realize that what you are doing is something really great...

Thanks,

StOrM3

Re: When will haXe's documentation do the project justice?

Randy Stauner
http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/Professional-haXe-and-Neko.productCd-0470122137.html

i have enjoyed the book... it definitely gave me a better understanding of how to get started.
I look forward to the update.