What support for 2D animation format in NME?

What support for 2D animation format in NME?

sledorze
Is it possible to use animations done in Flash?
(with / without going through sprite sheets) ??
Thanks,
Stephane

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

MartinLindelof
if you compile the animation to a swif, you can use swfmill to make a asset of it and load it into your swif target.
I'm not sure this is possible when targeting other platforms.

I'm looking just into swfmill to bundle font assets and load it into my swif target, looks promising and pretty easy.

--
Martin Lindelöf
www.medborgarplatsen.com

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM, sledorze wrote:

Is it possible to use animations done in Flash?
(with / without going through sprite sheets) ??
Thanks,
Stephane

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

sledorze
Sorry not having specified I am specifically interested into the IPhone target..

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM, MartinLindelof [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
if you compile the animation to a swif, you can use swfmill to make a asset of it and load it into your swif target.
I'm not sure this is possible when targeting other platforms.

I'm looking just into swfmill to bundle font assets and load it into my swif target, looks promising and pretty easy.

--
Martin Lindelöf
www.medborgarplatsen.com

On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM, sledorze wrote:

Is it possible to use animations done in Flash?
(with / without going through sprite sheets) ??
Thanks,
Stephane

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/What-support-for-2D-animation-format-in-NME-tp6578710p6578814.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

singmajesty
Currently for a C++ target, you primarily are looking at bitmaps for
animation. This will use more storage space, but will perform much faster
(potentially) than vector animations. I had a very robust sprite sheet
engine I created for a Facebook game company, but I don't have anything
written for haXe that I can distribute. You might look at
http://code.google.com/p/gm2d, as I think it has a sprite engine.
Otherwise it is not terribly hard to write your own, once you get the hang
of loading and displaying bitmaps

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

sledorze
uh..
it even has a directory called 'swf' .. with some #ifdef flash ..
got to investigate.

Have you used it for IPhone?
I can rewrite another engine but would prefer using an existing (working, good) one :)
I've seen there's Flixel and FlashPunk ports.
How do those compare to gm2d ?

You're now in a Spam loop; you should not have answered in the first place.. :)

wrote:

> Sorry not having specified I am specifically interested into the IPhone
> target..
>
> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:25 PM, MartinLindelof [via Haxe] <
> [hidden email]> wrote:

>>  if you compile the animation to a swif, you can use swfmill to make a
>> asset of it and load it into your swif target.
>> I'm not sure this is possible when targeting other platforms.
>>
>> I'm looking just into swfmill to bundle font assets and load it into my
>> swif target, looks promising and pretty easy.
>>
>> http://haxe.org/com/swfmill
>>
>> <http://haxe.org/com/swfmill>
>> --
>> Martin Lindelöf
>> www.medborgarplatsen.com
>>
>> On Wednesday, July 13, 2011 at 1:51 PM, sledorze wrote:
>>
>> Is it possible to use animations done in Flash?
>> (with / without going through sprite sheets) ??
>> Thanks,
>> Stephane

>> here<

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/What-support-for-2D-animation-format-in-NME-tp6578710p6579409.html

Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

singmajesty
Not sure. If I needed a spritesheet engine today, I would write my own.
Most systems are too complicated, or don't support the right features I
look for in a spritesheet system

--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

Alex Liebert
as far as I know gm2d is the only library that's directly implementing
the tilesheet api, which is extremely fast for drawing on cpp,
especially mobile where it counts.  that said you may b e best off
looking at the code there to see how it works, its straightforward.

if youre also looking at flash you probably just want an interface
where you can switch between copyPixels() based blitting and
Tilesheet.

Alex

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 10:06 AM, Joshua Granick
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Not sure. If I needed a spritesheet engine today, I would write my own. Most
> systems are too complicated, or don't support the right features I look for
> in a spritesheet system
>

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:23:47 -0700, sledorze <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>
>> uh..
>> it even has a directory called 'swf' .. with some #ifdef flash ..
>> got to investigate.
>>
>> Have you used it for IPhone?
>> I can rewrite another engine but would prefer using an existing (working,
>> good) one :)
>> I've seen there's Flixel and FlashPunk ports.
>> How do those compare to gm2d ?
>>
>> You're now in a Spam loop; you should not have answered in the first
>> place..
>> :)
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Joshua Granick-2 [via Haxe] <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Currently for a C++ target, you primarily are looking at bitmaps for
>>> animation. This will use more storage space, but will perform much faster
>>>
>>> (potentially) than vector animations. I had a very robust sprite sheet
>>> engine I created for a Facebook game company, but I don't have anything
>>> written for haXe that I can distribute. You might look at
>>> http://code.google.com/p/gm2d, as I think it has a sprite engine.
>>> Otherwise it is not terribly hard to write your own, once you get the
>>> hang
>>>
>>> of loading and displaying bitmaps
>>>

>>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 05:59:01 -0700, sledorze <[hidden
>>> email]<http://user/SendEmail.jtp?type=node&node=6579409&i=0>>

>>> --
>>> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

>>> here<
>>>

> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

Not sure if this is useful for simple spritesheet use, I intend to
modify it so I can use if for non jeash javascript as well, it runs
fine in flash/jeash not sure about nme as I struggle with running nme
on mac due to compiling everything from source. Anyway enclosed 2
simple classes.

You use the callbacks on 2 BitmapDataSheet to set the out and over
properties of the interactive sheet, and then your can
renderFrame( number ); on the InteractiveSheet, changing onOver bool
to switch between sheets obviously you need to
addChild( interactiveSheet.sprite ); to see anything.  Should provide
you with basic useful functionality and easy to hookup mouse over,
obviously you can control the renderFrame to simulate rotation or jump
to different animation sequences etc... and you can use a tool (such
as bit-101) to extract a suitable spritesheet from flash or use it as
a simple button.

Any thoughts on implementation etc... welcome, maybe would not be a
good approach for nme.

package zpartan.spritesheet;

import flash.display.Bitmap ;
import flash.display.BitmapData ;
import flash.display.Graphics ;
import flash.display.Sprite ;
import flash.events.MouseEvent ;

/**
* Copyright (c) July 2011, Justin L Mills
*   @author JLM at justinfront dot net
* All rights reserved.
*
are met:
*     * Redistributions of source code must retain the above copyright
*       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer.
*     * Redistributions in binary form must reproduce the above
copyright
*       notice, this list of conditions and the following disclaimer
in the
*       documentation and/or other materials provided with the
distribution.
*     * Neither the name of the Justin L Mills nor the
*       names of its contributors may be used to endorse or promote
products
*       derived from this software without specific prior written
permission.
*
* THIS SOFTWARE IS PROVIDED BY Justin L Mills  ''AS IS'' AND ANY
* EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTIES, INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE
IMPLIED
* WARRANTIES OF MERCHANTABILITY AND FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE ARE
* DISCLAIMED. IN NO EVENT SHALL Justin L Mills  BE LIABLE FOR ANY
* DIRECT, INDIRECT, INCIDENTAL, SPECIAL, EXEMPLARY, OR CONSEQUENTIAL
DAMAGES
* (INCLUDING, BUT NOT LIMITED TO, PROCUREMENT OF SUBSTITUTE GOODS OR
SERVICES;
* LOSS OF USE, DATA, OR PROFITS; OR BUSINESS INTERRUPTION) HOWEVER
CAUSED AND
* ON ANY THEORY OF LIABILITY, WHETHER IN CONTRACT, STRICT LIABILITY,
OR TORT
* (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE OR OTHERWISE) ARISING IN ANY WAY OUT OF THE
USE OF THIS
* SOFTWARE, EVEN IF ADVISED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGE.
*
*/

class InteractiveSheet
{

     public var currentFrame:                    Int ;
     public var isOver:                          Bool ;
     private var length:                         Int ;
     public var sprite:                          Sprite ;
     public var over:                            Array<BitmapData> ;
     public var out:                             Array<BitmapData> ;
     private var createHitShape:                 Graphics -> Float ->
Void ;
     public var onSheetPress:                    Sprite ->
InteractiveSheet -> Void ;
     private var sheetBitmap:                    Bitmap ;
     private var lastRenderedFrame:              BitmapData ;

     public function new(        createHitShape_     : Graphics ->
Float -> Void
                         ,       onSheetPress_       : Sprite ->
InteractiveSheet -> Void
                         ,       length
                         )
     {

         sprite          = new Sprite() ;
         isOver          = false ;
         sheetBitmap     = new Bitmap() ;
         createHitShape  = createHitShape_ ;
         onSheetPress    = onSheetPress_ ;

         hideHitArea();
         sprite.addChild( sheetBitmap ) ;
         enable();

     }

     public function enable()
     {

         sprite.addEventListener(    MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,
onOver  ) ;
         sprite.addEventListener(    MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,
onOut   ) ;
         sprite.addEventListener(    MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN,
onPress ) ;
         sprite.mouseChildren        = false ;
         sprite.buttonMode           = true ;

     }

     public function disable()
     {

         sprite.removeEventListener( MouseEvent.MOUSE_OVER,
onOver   ) ;
         sprite.removeEventListener( MouseEvent.MOUSE_OUT,
onOut    ) ;
         sprite.removeEventListener( MouseEvent.MOUSE_DOWN,
onPress  ) ;
         sprite.mouseChildren        = true;
         sprite.buttonMode           = false;

     }

     public function onOver( e: MouseEvent )
     {

         isOver = true ;

     }

     public function onOut( e: MouseEvent )
     {

         isOver = false ;

     }

     public function onPress( e: MouseEvent )
     {

         onSheetPress( sprite, this ) ;

     }

     public function showHitArea()
     {

         sprite.graphics.clear() ;
         createHitShape( sprite.graphics, 1 ) ;

     }

     public function hideHitArea()
     {

         sprite.graphics.clear() ;
         createHitShape( sprite.graphics, 0 ) ;

     }

     public function renderFrame( i: Int )
     {

         currentFrame = i;

         var nextRenderFrame: BitmapData;

         if ( sprite.parent != null && sheetBitmap.parent == sprite )
         {

             if ( isOver )
             {

                 if ( over != null ) if ( over[i] != null )
                 {
                     nextRenderFrame =  over[ i ];

                     if ( lastRenderedFrame != nextRenderFrame )
                     {

                         sheetBitmap.bitmapData = nextRenderFrame;
                         lastRenderedFrame = nextRenderFrame ;

             else
             {

                 if ( out != null ) if ( out[i] != null )
                 {

                     nextRenderFrame = out[ i ];

                     if ( lastRenderedFrame != nextRenderFrame )
                     {

                         sheetBitmap.bitmapData = nextRenderFrame;
                         lastRenderedFrame = nextRenderFrame ;

package zpartan.spritesheet;

import flash.display.BitmapData ;
import flash.display.Loader ;
import flash.geom.Point ;
import flash.geom.Rectangle ;
import flash.display.Bitmap ;
import flash.events.Event ;
import flash.net.URLRequest;

/**
[...]

class BitmapDataSheet
{

     public var tileWidth:       Float ;
     public var tileHeight:      Float ;
     public var length:          Int ;
     public var frames:          Array<BitmapData> ;

     // used internally
     private var row:            Int ;
     private var col:            Int ;
     private var file:           String ;
     private var source:         BitmapData ;
     private var ready:          Array<BitmapData> -> Void ;
     private var loader:         Loader;

     public static function clone( arr: Array<BitmapData> ):
Array<BitmapData>
     {

         var out         = [] ;
         var source:     BitmapData ;
         var bd:         BitmapData ;
         var w           = arr[ 0 ].width ;
         var h           = arr[ 0 ].height ;
         var wInt        = Std.int( w ) ;
         var hInt        = Std.int( h ) ;
         var rec:        Rectangle ;
         var point:      Point ;

         for ( i in 0...arr.length )
         {

             source      = arr[ i ];
             bd          = new BitmapData( wInt, hInt, true,
0x0000000 ) ;
             rec         = new Rectangle( 0, 0, w, h ) ;
             point        = new Point( 0, 0 ) ;
             bd.copyPixels( source, rec, point, source, point, false ) ;
             out.push( bd );

         }

         return out;

     }

     public function new(     file_:         String
                         ,    tileWidth_:    Float
                         ,    tileHeight_:   Float
                         ,    col_:          Int
                         ,    row_:          Int
                         ,    length_:       Int
                         ,    ready_:        Array<BitmapData> -> Void
                         )
     {

         file            = file_ ;
         tileWidth       = tileWidth_ ;
         tileHeight      = tileHeight_ ;
         col             = col_ ;
         row             = row_ ;
         length          = length_ ;
         ready           = ready_ ;
         frames          = [] ;
         loader          = new Loader();
         loader.contentLoaderInfo.addEventListener( Event.COMPLETE,
loaded ) ;//( Event.INIT
         loader.load( new URLRequest( file ) );

     }

     private function loaded( e: Event )
     {

         source      = cast( e.target.content, Bitmap ).bitmapData;

         var bd:     BitmapData ;
         var rec:    Rectangle ;
         var point:  Point ;
         var count   = 0 ;

         for ( r in 0...row )
         {

             for ( c in 0...col )
             {

                 if ( count == length )
                 {

                     ready( frames ) ;
                     return ;

                 }

                 bd         = new BitmapData( Std.int( tileWidth ),
Std.int( tileHeight ), true, 0x0000000 ) ;

                 frames.push( bd ) ;

                 rec     = new Rectangle( c * tileWidth, r *
tileHeight, ( c + 1 ) * tileWidth, ( r + 1 ) * tileHeight ) ;
                 point     = new Point( 0, 0 ) ;

                 bd.copyPixels( source, rec, point, source, point,
false ) ;

         ready( frames );

     }

On 13 Jul 2011, at 18:06, Joshua Granick wrote:

> Not sure. If I needed a spritesheet engine today, I would write my
> own. Most systems are too complicated, or don't support the right
> features I look for in a spritesheet system
>

> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:23:47 -0700, sledorze <[hidden email]
> > wrote:
>
>> uh..
>> it even has a directory called 'swf' .. with some #ifdef flash ..
>> got to investigate.
>>
>> Have you used it for IPhone?
>> I can rewrite another engine but would prefer using an existing
>> (working,
>> good) one :)
>> I've seen there's Flixel and FlashPunk ports.
>> How do those compare to gm2d ?
>>
>> You're now in a Spam loop; you should not have answered in the
>> first place..
>> :)
>>

>> On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 5:18 PM, Joshua Granick-2 [via Haxe] <
>> [hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>>> Currently for a C++ target, you primarily are looking at bitmaps for
>>> animation. This will use more storage space, but will perform much
>>> faster
>>>
>>> (potentially) than vector animations. I had a very robust sprite
>>> sheet
>>> engine I created for a Facebook game company, but I don't have
>>> anything
>>> written for haXe that I can distribute. You might look at
>>> http://code.google.com/p/gm2d, as I think it has a sprite engine.
>>> Otherwise it is not terribly hard to write your own, once you get
>>> the hang
>>>
>>> of loading and displaying bitmaps

>>> IPhone

>>> make a

>>> into my

>>> NME?, click

>>> --
>>> Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

>>> click
>>> here<
>>>

> --
> Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

Dion Whitehead Amago
You can also check out the sprite sheet classes in PBE-haxe (hydrax).
I'm in the process of making them platform agnostic.

dion

On Wed, Jul 13, 2011 at 2:13 PM, [hidden email]
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> [...]
>> for in a spritesheet system
>>

>> On Wed, 13 Jul 2011 08:23:47 -0700, sledorze <[hidden email]>
>> wrote:
>>
>>> uh..
>>> it even has a directory called 'swf' .. with some #ifdef flash ..
>>> got to investigate.
>>>
>>> Have you used it for IPhone?
>>> I can rewrite another engine but would prefer using an existing (working,
>>> good) one :)
>>> I've seen there's Flixel and FlashPunk ports.
>>> How do those compare to gm2d ?
>>>
>>> You're now in a Spam loop; you should not have answered in the first
>>> place..
>>> :)

>> --
>> Using Opera's revolutionary email client:
http://www.opera.com/mail/

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

Jan_Flanders
nme1 could play animations from swf files. Maybe the SWF.hx class can be (re)used in nme2?
An (old) example can be found in the neash lib:
Motion-Twin\haxe\lib\neash\1,0,3\samples\06-SWF

Jan

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

sledorze
I'v seen this thread:

Looks like it would be released in 2 weeks.
That would be perfect for me as I would not have issues with long animations..
I plan to try it; just need to fix some remainning compilation problems on NME.

On Thu, Jul 14, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Jan_Flanders [via Haxe] <[hidden email]> wrote:
nme1 could play animations from swf files. Maybe the SWF.hx class can be (re)used in nme2?
An (old) example can be found in the neash lib:
Motion-Twin\haxe\lib\neash\1,0,3\samples\06-SWF

Jan

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/What-support-for-2D-animation-format-in-NME-tp6578710p6582946.html
To unsubscribe from What support for 2D animation format in NME?, click here.

--
Stéphane Le Dorze

Tel: +33 (0) 6 08  76 70 15

Re: What support for 2D animation format in NME?

sledorze
Oh.. I'm wrong, it MAY be available right now :)