The haXe "USER" list

classic Classic list List threaded Threaded
23 messages Options
12
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

The haXe "USER" list

postite
Hello list,
I was wondering myself about something annoying me a little bit .
this mailing list is actually the only way to have answers on how to use the haxe programming langage.

I am considering myself as a simple haxe "user", i do not tend to actively participate on how the langage should and could evolve.. i have no ambition on how to compile haxe with OCAML.

i read every single mail published on this list and i am usually disapointed , in fact i couldn't understand the half what we are talking about.

I love haxe programming , i really do , but sometime i wish i didn't have to know that typedefs are not so much optimized for flash or c++ targets .. etc..


in my every day haxe learning , i have questions that are unsolved by looking on haxe doc or googling. And i am quite embarrassed to ask some trivial questions on this list . I imagine this not so funny for people to answer a thread on how to use reflection , or writing some basic externs.

on another hand, multiple targets are making things very hard to follow.

I suggest we could split , or organizing this list .
I  know this topic has been treated many times , but as a simple user , i don't think the actual way makes it easy to "trust" in haxe ... things are so confusing.
There is a forum , ok, but who reads it ?

what about , a compiler list , a user list , a core haxe langage list , and one specific list for every targets.
and one big list to embed them all.
I don't even know if it's technically possible.
ok it looks like a forum.

There are other things , quite confusing when starting using haxe , and i know this is a community thing. But i think it's time to think about it . Phillippe elsass was talking about strategy in a comment on Nicolas's blog. I don't know what he was talking about , but i'm certain this is part of it.
when i started learning haxe, it was quite logical, but now i feel that every improvement is based on macros or metadata making things not easy to learn without examples.
Haxe is very promising , i'm not talking about features .. but it's a fact , finding information on it is a pain.

any way ,consider this , just as a feedback from a noob.

dav(postite)
sorry for my bad english :\



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

jlm@justinfront.net
Dav

Starting a user group in your area might help...I know there is Meh ( Make everything haXe!? :)  ) in london... not sure if they have a meeting soon but I would make the trip if they are.  I hear the lastest book is not so expensive as a pdf.

You could also try 


Any tutorials requested in the forum related to front end I will try to add if it's something I know unless someone else wants to write it.  If you request a backend tutorial someone else will hopefully take up the task, hopefully, ideally the forum needs an expert dedicated to tackling NME questions, if we moved to a php forum I would expect volunteers to offer expertise and commitment to answering questions in various haXe aspects, a couple of specialists in each area... otherwise I do not believe it would be any better than the current forum. At the moment the forum is a first port of call for passing site traffic, and serious users move to the mailing list or chat over IRC, but even if the forum is not so used, many questions on the forum are given some quite technical answers by the few experts that do check it, so you may find if you posted your questions there they would get answered, but NME area especially I think it needs a dedicated person on that as it changes so fast and there are so many issues with setup.

I do not believe splitting the mailing list would be ideal, but others may disagree.

Obviously it's easy to ask for more haXe support... but in return you have to try to put back yourself... so you know the effort these things take, even answering obvious forum questions or adding a tutorial to the wikki.

Cheers


Justin


On 25 Aug 2011, at 14:15, david wrote:

Hello list,
I was wondering myself about something annoying me a little bit .
this mailing list is actually the only way to have answers on how to use the haxe programming langage.

I am considering myself as a simple haxe "user", i do not tend to actively participate on how the langage should and could evolve.. i have no ambition on how to compile haxe with OCAML.

i read every single mail published on this list and i am usually disapointed , in fact i couldn't understand the half what we are talking about.

I love haxe programming , i really do , but sometime i wish i didn't have to know that typedefs are not so much optimized for flash or c++ targets .. etc..


in my every day haxe learning , i have questions that are unsolved by looking on haxe doc or googling. And i am quite embarrassed to ask some trivial questions on this list . I imagine this not so funny for people to answer a thread on how to use reflection , or writing some basic externs.

on another hand, multiple targets are making things very hard to follow.

I suggest we could split , or organizing this list .
I  know this topic has been treated many times , but as a simple user , i don't think the actual way makes it easy to "trust" in haxe ... things are so confusing.
There is a forum , ok, but who reads it ?

what about , a compiler list , a user list , a core haxe langage list , and one specific list for every targets.
and one big list to embed them all.
I don't even know if it's technically possible.
ok it looks like a forum.

There are other things , quite confusing when starting using haxe , and i know this is a community thing. But i think it's time to think about it . Phillippe elsass was talking about strategy in a comment on Nicolas's blog. I don't know what he was talking about , but i'm certain this is part of it.
when i started learning haxe, it was quite logical, but now i feel that every improvement is based on macros or metadata making things not easy to learn without examples.
Haxe is very promising , i'm not talking about features .. but it's a fact , finding information on it is a pain.

any way ,consider this , just as a feedback from a noob.

dav(postite)
sorry for my bad english :\



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

singmajesty
So maybe I should create some forums for NME?

I agree that we should keep one mailing list



On Thu, 25 Aug 2011 08:25:03 -0700, [hidden email]  
<[hidden email]> wrote:

> Dav
>
> Starting a user group in your area might help...I know there is Meh
> ( Make everything haXe!? :)  ) in london... not sure if they have a
> meeting soon but I would make the trip if they are.  I hear the
> lastest book is not so expensive as a pdf.
>
> You could also try
>
> http://stackoverflow.com/
>
> Any tutorials requested in the forum related to front end I will try
> to add if it's something I know unless someone else wants to write
> it.  If you request a backend tutorial someone else will hopefully
> take up the task, hopefully, ideally the forum needs an expert
> dedicated to tackling NME questions, if we moved to a php forum I
> would expect volunteers to offer expertise and commitment to answering
> questions in various haXe aspects, a couple of specialists in each
> area... otherwise I do not believe it would be any better than the
> current forum. At the moment the forum is a first port of call for
> passing site traffic, and serious users move to the mailing list or
> chat over IRC, but even if the forum is not so used, many questions on
> the forum are given some quite technical answers by the few experts
> that do check it, so you may find if you posted your questions there
> they would get answered, but NME area especially I think it needs a
> dedicated person on that as it changes so fast and there are so many
> issues with setup.
>
> I do not believe splitting the mailing list would be ideal, but others
> may disagree.
>
> Obviously it's easy to ask for more haXe support... but in return you
> have to try to put back yourself... so you know the effort these
> things take, even answering obvious forum questions or adding a
> tutorial to the wikki.
>
> Cheers
>
>
> Justin
>
>
> On 25 Aug 2011, at 14:15, david wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>> I was wondering myself about something annoying me a little bit .
>> this mailing list is actually the only way to have answers on how to
>> use the haxe programming langage.
>>
>> I am considering myself as a simple haxe "user", i do not tend to
>> actively participate on how the langage should and could evolve.. i
>> have no ambition on how to compile haxe with OCAML.
>>
>> i read every single mail published on this list and i am usually
>> disapointed , in fact i couldn't understand the half what we are
>> talking about.
>>
>> I love haxe programming , i really do , but sometime i wish i didn't
>> have to know that typedefs are not so much optimized for flash or c+
>> + targets .. etc..
>>
>>
>> in my every day haxe learning , i have questions that are unsolved
>> by looking on haxe doc or googling. And i am quite embarrassed to
>> ask some trivial questions on this list . I imagine this not so
>> funny for people to answer a thread on how to use reflection , or
>> writing some basic externs.
>>
>> on another hand, multiple targets are making things very hard to
>> follow.
>>
>> I suggest we could split , or organizing this list .
>> I  know this topic has been treated many times , but as a simple
>> user , i don't think the actual way makes it easy to "trust" in
>> haxe ... things are so confusing.
>> There is a forum , ok, but who reads it ?
>>
>> what about , a compiler list , a user list , a core haxe langage
>> list , and one specific list for every targets.
>> and one big list to embed them all.
>> I don't even know if it's technically possible.
>> ok it looks like a forum.
>>
>> There are other things , quite confusing when starting using haxe ,
>> and i know this is a community thing. But i think it's time to think
>> about it . Phillippe elsass was talking about strategy in a comment
>> on Nicolas's blog. I don't know what he was talking about , but i'm
>> certain this is part of it.
>> when i started learning haxe, it was quite logical, but now i feel
>> that every improvement is based on macros or metadata making things
>> not easy to learn without examples.
>> Haxe is very promising , i'm not talking about features .. but it's
>> a fact , finding information on it is a pain.
>>
>> any way ,consider this , just as a feedback from a noob.
>>
>> dav(postite)
>> sorry for my bad english :\
>>
>>
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>


--
Using Opera's revolutionary email client: http://www.opera.com/mail/

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

rammserker
+1 to keep a single mailing list. That's my opinion, but it's true that there is too much information in here for a newbie (like me).

If we promote the use of tags, like [hxcpp] [NME] [newbie] [tutorial] [whatever], this could be a solution for organizing the information in the list. If a newbie wants answers to something basic, like defining an enum, the e-mail title could be:

"[haXe] [basic] Define an Enum"

It's to bloated? Hard to understand? Perhaps we can't teach all people in this list to use this kind of tags... We've been using something like this and it's a natural thing. We don't have to create nothing new, we only have to educate the people using the list.

Max
0 1 0 | 0 0 1 | 1 1 1



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

postite
In reply to this post by singmajesty
thanks for the long answer jim

I'm aware there is already a working solution, i like the mailing list, i learn a lot with it.
i know a community must have enthousiasts evangelist and you are one of those ... i wish i could master Haxe one day and  be able to help as you and others do .
What i was pointing is the strong "hard coder"  side of haxe .
Of course it's a "compiler" list. that's why i talked about a "user" mailing list .
I realize there are not so much noobs questions on this mailing list. I sometimes ask some but i feel more and more intimidated to do so.
i was just wondering if it was not the case for most of new users...
But perhaps you are right and local communities should grow by themselves...

i keep thinking this kind of request will pop up as haxe popularity will grow.

And i keep thinking a better forum with moderators , contributers would be a good aside solution too, and i would be glad to be part of it, like i did in the past for some as3 forums. Shall it be an external project?

to be continued ...



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

jlm@justinfront.net

On 25 Aug 2011, at 23:12, david wrote:

> And i keep thinking a better forum with moderators , contributers  
> would be a good aside solution too, and i would be glad to be part  
> of it, like i did in the past for some as3 forums. Shall it be an  
> external project?

David I moderate it for spam and there are a few experienced users  
answering forum questions but they don't have a moderator hat, if  
someone creates a new forum and it's popular then that's cool, but I  
wait for the actions ( I think there was intension at the haxe meet  
but as I suggested at the time they may not materialize as instantly  
as proposed ), so in the meantime, I will along with others try our  
best to answer any questions you put on the forum.

Cheers

;J

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
alx
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

alx
We should make our own stackoverflow, haxe based obviously ;v

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 7:38 PM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:

On 25 Aug 2011, at 23:12, david wrote:

And i keep thinking a better forum with moderators , contributers would be a good aside solution too, and i would be glad to be part of it, like i did in the past for some as3 forums. Shall it be an external project?

David I moderate it for spam and there are a few experienced users answering forum questions but they don't have a moderator hat, if someone creates a new forum and it's popular then that's cool, but I wait for the actions ( I think there was intension at the haxe meet but as I suggested at the time they may not materialize as instantly as proposed ), so in the meantime, I will along with others try our best to answer any questions you put on the forum.

Cheers

;J


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

bubblebenj
I may be wrong,
but I think the reason people like the mailing list instead of a forum is that they don't have to go to some specific place.
It pops in you mail box, you don't have anything to do and for many people, especially professionals, the mail box is always open.

I just wonder if a forum with rss could fill the gap.
It could also easily allow to choose which flux (user, compiler...) you want to follow.

Ben



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

sventunus
Salut David!

Chouette de t'entendre encore une fois :-)
What you mention here is what we talked about at the haXe meetup too, and it was quite an animated discussion I remember ;-) 

I wholeheartedly agree with you that the haXe community feels too "private" for the moment. You really need to make an effort to look up things, follow the topics on the mailing list, take initiative to ask questions when you get stuck, etc...
That's not a problem for the majority of subscribers on this list, but I'm sure it keeps a lot of people away from discovering all the beauty and versatility haXe has to offer. In fact, yesterday evening I was at an informal event organized by Microsoft in Brussels revolving mainly about "mobile" development. I listened to people talking jibberish, like stating that "you should probably prefer to build your mobile presence as a HTML5 website instead of an app, because apps are platform-dependent, which means you will have to code x number of times, apps are slower, etc...", immediately followed by "but we've built a framework using Umbraco and Windows Azure that is perfect for all your mobile needs".
Sigh...
They just don't know better.
So then in the Q&A afterwards I started advocating haXe and rejecting most of the statements they made during their presentation. And lo and behold: there was a lot of interest from people, but no-one had ever heard of haXe.

So I think haXe really has a marketing problem. I don't think that's important to Nicolas/MT, but how cool would it be to really create a more "global" awareness and interest in haXe? Something simple like a phpBB and some banners here and there might be enough to get the word out and get people involved. And from there on, who knows what will happen next?

I have a pretty solid VPS I'm not really using for the moment and would be happy to start such a forum if Nicolas and the predominant members of the community would agree with that?
Let me know what you think guys...

Sven

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 7:41 AM, benjamin Dubois <[hidden email]> wrote:
I may be wrong,
but I think the reason people like the mailing list instead of a forum is that they don't have to go to some specific place.
It pops in you mail box, you don't have anything to do and for many people, especially professionals, the mail box is always open.

I just wonder if a forum with rss could fill the gap.
It could also easily allow to choose which flux (user, compiler...) you want to follow.

Ben



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
I'm a haXe target!
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Juraj Kirchheim
Have you thought about putting "normal" question up on
stackoverflow.com? Currently there's 80 followers, which of course is
not a giant community, but more than enough to get your questions
answered.

I see no point in creating a new platform, when there's basically
already quite a good one, which is ready to use, doesn't require
anyone in the community to get it up and maintain it, and comes with a
streamlined feature set.

We have had lengthy discussions about why we have a mailing list and
personally, after some initial skepticism I'm quite happy with it and
find it a suitable medium for discussions on haXe and its internals.
However mailing lists (nor message boards for that matter) are
unsuitable for Q & A. Platforms like stackoverflow are IMHO.

Using stackoverflow would give haXe more visibility I think. There's
over 600K registered users on stackoverflow and many of them actively
participate in discussions on platforms that are targeted by haXe.
Thus for problems which are rather target-specific than haXe-specific,
you might get helpful answers from the indigenous platform-natives,
whereas they might discover haXe just by reading your question.

Of course there might be some other platform that's even more suitable.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Sven Dens <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Salut David!
> Chouette de t'entendre encore une fois :-)
> What you mention here is what we talked about at the haXe meetup too, and it
> was quite an animated discussion I remember ;-)
> I wholeheartedly agree with you that the haXe community feels too "private"
> for the moment. You really need to make an effort to look up things, follow
> the topics on the mailing list, take initiative to ask questions when you
> get stuck, etc...
> That's not a problem for the majority of subscribers on this list, but I'm
> sure it keeps a lot of people away from discovering all the beauty and
> versatility haXe has to offer. In fact, yesterday evening I was at an
> informal event organized by Microsoft in Brussels revolving mainly about
> "mobile" development. I listened to people talking jibberish, like stating
> that "you should probably prefer to build your mobile presence as a HTML5
> website instead of an app, because apps are platform-dependent, which means
> you will have to code x number of times, apps are slower, etc...",
> immediately followed by "but we've built a framework using Umbraco and
> Windows Azure that is perfect for all your mobile needs".
> Sigh...
> They just don't know better.
> So then in the Q&A afterwards I started advocating haXe and rejecting most
> of the statements they made during their presentation. And lo and behold:
> there was a lot of interest from people, but no-one had ever heard of haXe.
> So I think haXe really has a marketing problem. I don't think that's
> important to Nicolas/MT, but how cool would it be to really create a more
> "global" awareness and interest in haXe? Something simple like a phpBB and
> some banners here and there might be enough to get the word out and get
> people involved. And from there on, who knows what will happen next?
> I have a pretty solid VPS I'm not really using for the moment and would be
> happy to start such a forum if Nicolas and the predominant members of the
> community would agree with that?
> Let me know what you think guys...
> Sven
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 7:41 AM, benjamin Dubois <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I may be wrong,
>> but I think the reason people like the mailing list instead of a forum is
>> that they don't have to go to some specific place.
>> It pops in you mail box, you don't have anything to do and for many
>> people, especially professionals, the mail box is always open.
>> I just wonder if a forum with rss could fill the gap.
>> It could also easily allow to choose which flux (user, compiler...) you
>> want to follow.
>> Ben
>>
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Justin Donaldson-3
+1 for stackoverflow.  Forums are nice for casual/abstract questions, but if I need hard solutions for other languages, I generally look there.  The stackoverflow site does a good job of tracking "reputation", and gives more reputable people greater power to do certain things.  In fact, it's hard to find questions to answer on there most times, because so many people are trying to help.
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/tagged/haxe

-Justin

On Sat, Aug 27, 2011 at 8:23 AM, Juraj Kirchheim <[hidden email]> wrote:
Have you thought about putting "normal" question up on
stackoverflow.com? Currently there's 80 followers, which of course is
not a giant community, but more than enough to get your questions
answered.

I see no point in creating a new platform, when there's basically
already quite a good one, which is ready to use, doesn't require
anyone in the community to get it up and maintain it, and comes with a
streamlined feature set.

We have had lengthy discussions about why we have a mailing list and
personally, after some initial skepticism I'm quite happy with it and
find it a suitable medium for discussions on haXe and its internals.
However mailing lists (nor message boards for that matter) are
unsuitable for Q & A. Platforms like stackoverflow are IMHO.

Using stackoverflow would give haXe more visibility I think. There's
over 600K registered users on stackoverflow and many of them actively
participate in discussions on platforms that are targeted by haXe.
Thus for problems which are rather target-specific than haXe-specific,
you might get helpful answers from the indigenous platform-natives,
whereas they might discover haXe just by reading your question.

Of course there might be some other platform that's even more suitable.

On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 8:19 PM, Sven Dens <[hidden email]> wrote:
> Salut David!
> Chouette de t'entendre encore une fois :-)
> What you mention here is what we talked about at the haXe meetup too, and it
> was quite an animated discussion I remember ;-)
> I wholeheartedly agree with you that the haXe community feels too "private"
> for the moment. You really need to make an effort to look up things, follow
> the topics on the mailing list, take initiative to ask questions when you
> get stuck, etc...
> That's not a problem for the majority of subscribers on this list, but I'm
> sure it keeps a lot of people away from discovering all the beauty and
> versatility haXe has to offer. In fact, yesterday evening I was at an
> informal event organized by Microsoft in Brussels revolving mainly about
> "mobile" development. I listened to people talking jibberish, like stating
> that "you should probably prefer to build your mobile presence as a HTML5
> website instead of an app, because apps are platform-dependent, which means
> you will have to code x number of times, apps are slower, etc...",
> immediately followed by "but we've built a framework using Umbraco and
> Windows Azure that is perfect for all your mobile needs".
> Sigh...
> They just don't know better.
> So then in the Q&A afterwards I started advocating haXe and rejecting most
> of the statements they made during their presentation. And lo and behold:
> there was a lot of interest from people, but no-one had ever heard of haXe.
> So I think haXe really has a marketing problem. I don't think that's
> important to Nicolas/MT, but how cool would it be to really create a more
> "global" awareness and interest in haXe? Something simple like a phpBB and
> some banners here and there might be enough to get the word out and get
> people involved. And from there on, who knows what will happen next?
> I have a pretty solid VPS I'm not really using for the moment and would be
> happy to start such a forum if Nicolas and the predominant members of the
> community would agree with that?
> Let me know what you think guys...
> Sven
>
> On Fri, Aug 26, 2011 at 7:41 AM, benjamin Dubois <[hidden email]>
> wrote:
>>
>> I may be wrong,
>> but I think the reason people like the mailing list instead of a forum is
>> that they don't have to go to some specific place.
>> It pops in you mail box, you don't have anything to do and for many
>> people, especially professionals, the mail box is always open.
>> I just wonder if a forum with rss could fill the gap.
>> It could also easily allow to choose which flux (user, compiler...) you
>> want to follow.
>> Ben
>>
>>
>> --
>> haXe - an open source web programming language
>> http://haxe.org
>
>
> --
> haXe - an open source web programming language
> http://haxe.org
>

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Tigga
In reply to this post by singmajesty
I'd be personally very strongly in favour of having a HaXe forum. Mailing lists are fine if there's one or two posts per day, but as things grow you really start to need easily browsable subsections. With over 10 posts per day it seems to me this list is just too busy! I personally redirect all mails from this list into a junk folder and access the list through Nabble, which kinda forumises it a bit. I'd still much prefer a forum.

I'm the sort of person who is active in 4 or 5 forums online. This is my only mailing list. The only advantage seems to me that it's a bit easier to set up than a forum.
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Elsass Philippe
In reply to this post by postite
I second the stackoverflow option.

The wiki could recommend :
- haxe meta discussions: mailing list


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

jlm@justinfront.net

On 28 Aug 2011, at 10:12, Elsass Philippe wrote:

The wiki could recommend :
- haxe meta discussions: mailing list

I have modified the community page to include a link to stackoverflow as suggested and also added a revised link to nabble embeded in the wiki


In regard to the Forum...

Do we have topics required and volunteer experts to properly cover these topics?  An expert should probably prove themselves on the current forum before we move to an improved format... not worth the changing if there is no community commitment to provide topic experts.  I would suggest Jan for a flash mod as he seems very active in supporting forum questions with good answers, but we need experts for other fields.  I can easily manually append a topic to titles of new posts as an initial quick fix, so that topic experts know which posts to mod.
So can people with expertise suggest a topic they wish to cover.  If not I see no reason to change the forum.

Lastly a question...

I have had a look at the nabble atom for the mailing list and I found it not hard to parse in pure javascript, but have not found much information on how to generate different atom pages or if it is even supported, has anybody got an idea?

 
Cheers
;j

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

postite

Hello all,
Thanks for all your answers...
Stackoverflow is a good alternative... i didn't think about it.
I will watch it by now.
@Justin.  About the forum, i would be pleased to be involved in what ever task you would propose me . But i am not an expert in any topic....
Bye....
Dav


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Michiel Crefcoeur
Google Groups would solve the issue.
This has been discussed before multiple times but for some reason, it just never seems to take off.
Google Groups can be associated with the Google Code project page, has a forum-style web interface, can be used in the same way as the current mailing list, can be split up into topics, supports RSS etc.
It can replace both the mailing list and the forum since it's an all-in-one solution. It could also serve as a place for hosting examples and tutorials etc.
Virtually all other big opensource projects I use use Google Groups for community feedback, why not haXe too?
The forum and mailing list should be phased out and remain available as an archive only.

Cheers,
Michiel

2011/8/28 dav kert <[hidden email]>

Hello all,
Thanks for all your answers...
Stackoverflow is a good alternative... i didn't think about it.
I will watch it by now.
@Justin.  About the forum, i would be pleased to be involved in what ever task you would propose me . But i am not an expert in any topic....
Bye....
Dav


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Michiel Crefcoeur
I almost forgot!
I once created http://haxe.posterous.com to see if we could use Posterous' group solution.
It's a pretty well organized platform but as far as I could see it didn't have decent syntax highlighting support. But that was 5 months ago.
What do you guys think?

Cheers,
Michiel

2011/8/29 Michiel Crefcoeur <[hidden email]>
Google Groups would solve the issue.
This has been discussed before multiple times but for some reason, it just never seems to take off.
Google Groups can be associated with the Google Code project page, has a forum-style web interface, can be used in the same way as the current mailing list, can be split up into topics, supports RSS etc.
It can replace both the mailing list and the forum since it's an all-in-one solution. It could also serve as a place for hosting examples and tutorials etc.
Virtually all other big opensource projects I use use Google Groups for community feedback, why not haXe too?
The forum and mailing list should be phased out and remain available as an archive only.

Cheers,
Michiel

2011/8/28 dav kert <[hidden email]>

Hello all,
Thanks for all your answers...
Stackoverflow is a good alternative... i didn't think about it.
I will watch it by now.
@Justin.  About the forum, i would be pleased to be involved in what ever task you would propose me . But i am not an expert in any topic....
Bye....
Dav


--

haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

Kevin Koechley
In reply to this post by Michiel Crefcoeur
I also love the google code + groups idea!


On Aug 29, 2011, at 5:13 AM, Michiel Crefcoeur wrote:

Google Groups would solve the issue.
This has been discussed before multiple times but for some reason, it just never seems to take off.
Google Groups can be associated with the Google Code project page, has a forum-style web interface, can be used in the same way as the current mailing list, can be split up into topics, supports RSS etc.
It can replace both the mailing list and the forum since it's an all-in-one solution. It could also serve as a place for hosting examples and tutorials etc.
Virtually all other big opensource projects I use use Google Groups for community feedback, why not haXe too?
The forum and mailing list should be phased out and remain available as an archive only.

Cheers,
Michiel

2011/8/28 dav kert <[hidden email]>

Hello all,
Thanks for all your answers...
Stackoverflow is a good alternative... i didn't think about it.
I will watch it by now.
@Justin.  About the forum, i would be pleased to be involved in what ever task you would propose me . But i am not an expert in any topic....
Bye....
Dav


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org

--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org


--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

rammserker
Hmmm... +1 support to Google Code + Groups idea.

Max
0 1 0 | 0 0 1 | 1 1 1



--
haXe - an open source web programming language
http://haxe.org
Reply | Threaded
Open this post in threaded view
|

Re: The haXe "USER" list

singmajesty
This post was updated on .
What do you guys think of using Nabble?

http://haxe.1354130.n2.nabble.com/

This can be embedded into other websites, and acts like a forum, though the backend is really a mailing list. The result is that we already have our entire community in place, and whether you connect using your email or the web frontend, it is all the same thing.

On the other hand, I can see the advantage of having a forum structure, which pushes out to a mailing list, rather than a mailing list that generates a forum front-end, but the reality that the Haxe community is really on this mailing list right now is important. Moving to any other structure means a new blank slate.

I'm just playing with different ideas. Since the forum can be embedded, some CSS could also customize the way that it looks and operates.

(Posted from Nabble, BTW)
12