Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Rezmason
Hi guys,

Again, this is in preparation for a talk in June.

This has nothing to with the "real" pronunciation of haXe. I think this email to the list in '07 puts to bed any notion that there's an official pronunciation, or what it would be if it existed. What I want to know is, when you speak to someone about haXe, how do YOU pronounce it?

I pronounce it "hex" like "hexagon", but now that the new logo is out and it's not in the shape of a hexagon, I'm having second thoughts. ;-)

-Jeremy

P.S.– Can we call the new logo the "haXegon"?

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

bruno baudry
Hi Jeremy,
Not speaking for Nicolas (Who pronounce it Héks).
As lot of the haXecon attendants used the Latin A, so sounded between ekss, Akss (Latins speaker don't deal well with Beginings Hs) or even RrrAkss (from the throat).

Any way the spirit is pronounce it as you can? and if someone asks "WOOOT ?" you can answer "you know : one language to rule them all : haXe".

BB

2011/5/12 Jeremy Sachs <[hidden email]>
Hi guys,

Again, this is in preparation for a talk in June.

This has nothing to with the "real" pronunciation of haXe. I think this email to the list in '07 puts to bed any notion that there's an official pronunciation, or what it would be if it existed. What I want to know is, when you speak to someone about haXe, how do YOU pronounce it?

I pronounce it "hex" like "hexagon", but now that the new logo is out and it's not in the shape of a hexagon, I'm having second thoughts. ;-)

-Jeremy

P.S.– Can we call the new logo the "haXegon"?

_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Raoul Duke
On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 2:37 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
> you can answer "you know : one language to rule them all : haXe".

well, apart from jvm or clr :-)
or parrot ;-)

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Jan_Flanders

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

Haksé and Dzjeeeeesh. :)

Jan

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

jlm@justinfront.net
I am hoping Lee and James add lots of west country bristol accent and say it hyper fast :)

My prefered way is haxeee, so totally wrong, especially as I'm now in france so I have to respect silent last letters.

and je'shu or geessh ?

Maybe we could recorded loads of people saying haXe differently and show a different target with each one and the face of the person speaking and their backdrop city and a cool application they made with it.

On 12 May 2011, at 23:42, Jan Flanders wrote:

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 11:37 PM, bruno baudry <[hidden email]> wrote:
Hi Jeremy,
Not speaking for Nicolas (Who pronounce it Héks).
As lot of the haXecon attendants used the Latin A, so sounded between ekss, Akss (Latins speaker don't deal well with Beginings Hs) or even RrrAkss (from the throat).

Any way the spirit is pronounce it as you can? and if someone asks "WOOOT ?" you can answer "you know : one language to rule them all : haXe".

BB

2011/5/12 Jeremy Sachs <[hidden email]>
Hi guys,

Again, this is in preparation for a talk in June.

This has nothing to with the "real" pronunciation of haXe. I think this email to the list in '07 puts to bed any notion that there's an official pronunciation, or what it would be if it existed. What I want to know is, when you speak to someone about haXe, how do YOU pronounce it?

I pronounce it "hex" like "hexagon", but now that the new logo is out and it's not in the shape of a hexagon, I'm having second thoughts. ;-)

-Jeremy

P.S.– Can we call the new logo the "haXegon"?

_      _  _     _  _\   /
|_)    |_)|_||  || \ |_)Y
|_)    |_)|  ||_||_/|  \ |

Haksé and Dzjeeeeesh. :)

Jan

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

> you can answer "you know : one language to rule them all : haXe".

well, apart from jvm or clr :-)
or parrot ;-)

These both languages got wrong: they support many languages as an input, but they all run in one vm. HaXe is one language only - and it can output for any vm as possible.
So with HaXe, you can target any device as possible. But they have to stick with their own vm's limitations ; )

Now, staying in topic

In portuguese I pronouce it AAAAAAkssssee  (with a very open 'a'). But in english, it's hacks ; )

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

danielku15
I am from Austria and I use exactly the Google Translator pronunciation of the English and German version for "haxe"

English Version: http://translate.google.com/#en|en|haxe
German Version: http://translate.google.com/#de|de|haxe

Just click on "listen" :D

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Adrian Cowan
I'm from Australia and use the English pronunciation 'hacks', kinda like H-Axe (as in the wood chopping axe). And not that I have used it or really pronounced it but in my head I say 'geesh'.

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 10:38 AM, danielku15 <[hidden email]> wrote:
I am from Austria and I use exactly the Google Translator pronunciation of
the English and German version for "haxe"

English Version: <a href="http://translate.google.com/#en|en|haxe" target="_blank">http://translate.google.com/#en|en|haxe
German Version: <a href="http://translate.google.com/#de|de|haxe" target="_blank">http://translate.google.com/#de|de|haxe

Just click on "listen" :D

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 8:44 AM, [hidden email] <[hidden email]> wrote:
Maybe we could recorded loads of people saying haXe differently and show a different target with each one and the face of the person speaking and their backdrop city and a cool application they made with it.

+1, This would make a great promotional video for haXe.

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

I'm going to refer to it as 'A' from now on.

http://translate.google.com/#fr|ht|haxe

On 13 May 2011, at 02:38, danielku15 wrote:

> I am from Austria and I use exactly the Google Translator
> pronunciation of
> the English and German version for "haxe"
>
> English Version: http://translate.google.com/#en|en|haxe
> German Version: http://translate.google.com/#de|de|haxe
>
> Just click on "listen" :D

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Rob Fell
I usually pronounce "haXe" as "X" / "eks".

But I always channel "voice over guy" when doing so ;-)

On 11:59 AM, Jeremy Sachs wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> Again, this is in preparation for a talk in June.
>
> This has nothing to with the "real" pronunciation of haXe. I think
> this email <http://markmail.org/message/shyv2poyuerncvlm> to the list
> in '07 puts to bed any notion that there's an official pronunciation,
> or what it would be if it existed. What I want to know is, when you
> speak to someone about haXe, how do YOU pronounce it?
>

> I pronounce it "hex" like "hexagon", but now that the new logo is out
> and it's not in the shape of a hexagon, I'm having second thoughts. ;-)
>
> -Jeremy
>

> P.S.– Can we call the new logo the "haXegon"?

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

postite
my pronounciation :http://translate.google.com/#pt|pt|hacss%0A

à la french...

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

sventunus
and mine in Flemish (more or less, what you hear is actually Dutch, and that's a totally different accent)

hexie :-)

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM, postite <[hidden email]> wrote:
my pronounciation :http://translate.google.com/#pt|pt|hacss%0A

à la french...

I'm a haXe target!

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

MartinLindelof
in Swedish, we say it like "hack" X is very rare in our spelling. And when I show and tell to collegues about haXe they and I say, "hacks"
--
Martin Lindelöf
www.medborgarplatsen.com

On Friday, May 13, 2011 at 10:08 AM, Sven Dens wrote:

and mine in Flemish (more or less, what you hear is actually Dutch, and that's a totally different accent)

hexie :-)

On Fri, May 13, 2011 at 9:53 AM, postite <[hidden email]> wrote:
my pronounciation :http://translate.google.com/#pt|pt|hacss%0A

à la french...

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

Pimm Hogeling
I'm from the Netherlands, and I pronounce haXe as hæks (h-axe, or hex from hexagon).

Re: Survey: How do YOU pronounce haXe (and jeash)?

I think a more interesting question is, what is the meaning
of the words that sound "haxe" and "jeash".

For me, I pronounce it "hacks", with my main thought being "hacking",
=like making a few little changes to repurpose something for my needs.
"Hex", I think "curse", which is also cool.

I pronounce "jeash" to rhyme with "neash", which I intended to be
the same word as "niche", which I pronounce "n-ee-sh" , although
others pronounce niche to rhyme with "witch", which makes it less
witty.

Hugh