Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Andy Li

As above. Don't know if you guys willing to see Adobe to have an official support to Haxe?

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Tarwin Stroh-Spijer
Trust me, one thing you don't want is to get involved in Adobe "support". I own Flash, and have paid lots of money for upgrades, and have had some of the most frustrating days of my life either trying to get answers on bugs or missing documentation or simply trying to install my program when activation doesn't work.

I once got to the point where I went to the Melbourne release party of CS4 and threatened to get up in front of the audience of over 2000 and tell them, "Whatever you do, do not upgrade to CS4, it's buggy as hell!". Finally I got some answers, but as you see, "Adobe support" === [sic] "Adobe makes me angry and not want to give them money even if some of the stuff they make is awesome".

Just a warning.

I do know that you mean some kind of haXe compilation in Flash or some such, but that will lead to the above as well!

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 3:13 AM, Andy Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

As above. Don't know if you guys willing to see Adobe to have an official support to Haxe?

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Andy Li
Don't know if you mean "user support"? In that case, I think users need to ask the haxe community if the problem is related to the haxe complier as the compiler is not developed by Adobe. If the problem is related to the IDE, users can still use Textmate, gedit, Eclipse or what ever we're using right now. Adobe can give user more IDE choice, eg. FlashBuilder/Catalyst, in the case of supporting Haxe...

I think getting Adobe official support(not user support) will be a benefit as Nicolas do not need to reverse engineer whenever there is something new from Adobe. Instead Adobe will help developing the Haxe part for the new thing too.

Cheers,
Andy

On Mon, Mar 15, 2010 at 9:51 PM, Tarwin Stroh-Spijer <[hidden email]> wrote:
[...]

wvxvw
I voted for it. Well, don't get me wrong, but, my understanding of what Andy posted is more like this: Adobe promotes Zend (PHP) for example - they aren't involved in what Zend does, but it's often mentioned in the documentation etc. To be honest, I really don't like ZF, and Zend_Amf library in particular, but I can see how Adobe mentioning Zend had made lot's of AS3 folks to move there from AMFPHP, if they used that before.
So, I think that if Adobe mentioned HaXe where it is appropriate, that would only benefit HaXe and, why not, Adobe themselves.

Best.

Oleg

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Benjamin Dasnois
Hello,

Well, I bet this is an "important" and more complex issue than that.

As you said, if it's only to get mentionned in the "documentation",
that's quite good, as it may get haXe new people coming around, but it
has its drawback : we may see lots of newbies comin, and by "newbies",
I don't mean new-comers to haXe but real newbies.

We will also see lots of people complaining that haXe is not Flash
(the paradigms are quite different I believe since, for example, you
put all your code in one "frame" in haXe).

So, although this may be great because many people will get to know
haXe, we should also be prepared, should it ever happen, to manage
lots of newbies, complaints, and other kinds of pollution on the
mailing-list (not every complaint is a pollution, I know, but you got
what I mean I think) and on the forum.

Anyway, I doubt Adobe will ever "support" haXe since we are promoting
a lot of alternatives to their "IDE" (I would rather say "authoring
tool") such as SamHaXe and SWFMill that both allow to create libraries
and embedded assets (forgive me if the terminology is wrong).

So, the big question is : would our community be strong enough to
handle all these new-comers? (I believe we had at least one example
recently, and I'm not quite sure that it was a good experience ;
that's why I think we would have to work on the community before).

Regards,

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 11:01 AM, Oleg Sivokon <[hidden email]> wrote:

> I voted for it. Well, don't get me wrong, but, my understanding of what Andy
> posted is more like this: Adobe promotes Zend (PHP) for example - they
> aren't involved in what Zend does, but it's often mentioned in the
> documentation etc. To be honest, I really don't like ZF, and Zend_Amf
> library in particular, but I can see how Adobe mentioning Zend had made
> lot's of AS3 folks to move there from AMFPHP, if they used that before.
> So, I think that if Adobe mentioned HaXe where it is appropriate, that would
> only benefit HaXe and, why not, Adobe themselves.
> Best.
> Oleg

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

wvxvw
Well, Adobe mentions FlashDevelop. I think I saw the note on FlexPMD saying it's working in FlashDevelop too. Also I think Phillipe and Mika got some sort of permission to redistribute Flex SDK with FD (I'm not sure about the details, but I can remember the discussion about it). I think they'll correct me if I'm wrong. I also remember watching an interview with some of Adobe "evangelists", I think Lee Brimelow, where he was asked to deliver an opinion on FlashDevelop, and he said it's a good software. I also think Senocular often mentioned FlashDevelop too. Well, I might not know all the details and particularities about HaXe <-> Adobe relationships, but judging from the user's standpoint, I would see no harm if what Andy said would work out.
I for once, do 99% of all my coding in FlashDevelop, and I like it very much. But, the debugger there isn't perfect and the profiler is nonexistent - so I'm using FlashBuilder every now and then I need one of those.
Well, besides, what's wrong with the n00bs? Should I say, I side with that group too? :) Well, I mean that's how people learn, first they are n00bs, but then they grow. I don't think that being novice and behaving unethically is related. And, well, being honest, even if everything works out even better then Any suggested, I wouldn't hope to see that much crowd switching to HaXe in a year or even more. You first have to have the problem before you can tell you have the problem :)

Best.

Oleg

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

MarcWeber
> Well, besides, what's wrong with the n00bs? Should I say, I side with that

Maybe I'm such a n00b. I'm not new to programming. But I'm new to HaXe
and Flash concepts.

One thing I'm missing is seeing code telling me which is the way to do
it right. Probably I have to read more code on http://lib.haxe.org/ ..

For instance I had trouble getting to know how to pass flash vars to an
HaXe flash application - I added that section to the wiki.

The HaXe and Neko book is fine - but some examples are outdated.

So it would be nice to have kind of book which can be updated by users
and n00bs themselves.

Marc Weber

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Benjamin Dasnois
The problem is not being new, but we already had to face some people
behaving unethically (my definition of "noob" mostly was "new to the
community", and when someone enters your community, it may bring some
problems, so if there are many new people coming, there may be a lot
of potential problems coming)

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:

>> Well, besides, what's wrong with the n00bs? Should I say, I side with that
>
> Maybe I'm such a n00b. I'm not new to programming. But I'm new to HaXe
> and Flash concepts.
>
> One thing I'm missing is seeing code telling me which is the way to do
> it right. Probably I have to read more code on http://lib.haxe.org/ ..
>
> For instance I had trouble getting to know how to pass flash vars to an
> HaXe flash application - I added that section to the wiki.
>
> The HaXe and Neko book is fine - but some examples are outdated.
>
> So it would be nice to have kind of book which can be updated by users
> and n00bs themselves.
>
> Marc Weber

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Lee Sylvester
Hey Marc, don't mind Benjamin, he's just a big softy ;-) He's just
worried our time will be diluted and he won't get much time to spend
with his haXe buddies. Isn't that right, Benjamin? :-P

Seriously, though, I can see the potential headache if it were crowds of
people, but as I see it, we really need the community to grow in order
for haXe to get the level of adoption it deserves.

Lee

Benjamin Dasnois wrote:

> The problem is not being new, but we already had to face some people
> behaving unethically (my definition of "noob" mostly was "new to the
> community", and when someone enters your community, it may bring some
> problems, so if there are many new people coming, there may be a lot
> of potential problems coming)
>
> On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>>> Well, besides, what's wrong with the n00bs? Should I say, I side with that
>>>
>> Maybe I'm such a n00b. I'm not new to programming. But I'm new to HaXe
>> and Flash concepts.
>>
>> One thing I'm missing is seeing code telling me which is the way to do
>> it right. Probably I have to read more code on http://lib.haxe.org/ ..
>>
>> For instance I had trouble getting to know how to pass flash vars to an
>> HaXe flash application - I added that section to the wiki.
>>
>> The HaXe and Neko book is fine - but some examples are outdated.
>>
>> So it would be nice to have kind of book which can be updated by users
>> and n00bs themselves.
>>
>> Marc Weber

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

tom rhodes
maybe it's time for two lists then?

i've had some great help in here, but i know i'm a n00b. the majority of the conversation on here, especially about the direction the syntax of the language should take and stuff is above my head. also, the last thing i want is to be pissing people off...

Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
[...]

I don't think that should matter. In the entire time I've been on this
list (since its inception, so nearly four years), I've only ever know
one person to be kicked off the lists and that's only because he was a
damn annoying b***ard.  With regard to most n00bs, I for one am happy to
lend a helping hand when I can, just as I'm happy to join in the more
in-depth discussions about syntax and whatnot. That's what the mailing
list is for. I think, to branch off discussions to other lists or boards
would only serve to dilute the community, which would be a shame.

Lee

tom rhodes wrote:

> maybe it's time for two lists then?
>
> i've had some great help in here, but i know i'm a n00b. the majority
> of the conversation on here, especially about the direction the syntax
> of the language should take and stuff is above my head. also, the last
> thing i want is to be pissing people off...
>

> On 16 March 2010 19:13, Lee McColl Sylvester <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Hey Marc, don't mind Benjamin, he's just a big softy ;-) He's just
>     worried our time will be diluted and he won't get much time to
>     spend with his haXe buddies. Isn't that right, Benjamin? :-P
>
>     Seriously, though, I can see the potential headache if it were
>     crowds of people, but as I see it, we really need the community to
>     grow in order for haXe to get the level of adoption it deserves.
>
>     Lee
>

>     Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
>
>         The problem is not being new, but we already had to face some
>         people
>         behaving unethically (my definition of "noob" mostly was "new
>         to the
>         community", and when someone enters your community, it may
>         bring some
>         problems, so if there are many new people coming, there may be
>         a lot
>         of potential problems coming)
>
>         On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 6:50 PM, Marc Weber
>

>                 Well, besides, what's wrong with the n00bs? Should I
>                 say, I side with that
>

>             Maybe I'm such a n00b. I'm not new to programming. But I'm
>             new to HaXe
>             and Flash concepts.
>
>             One thing I'm missing is seeing code telling me which is
>             the way to do
>             it right. Probably I have to read more code on
>             http://lib.haxe.org/ ..
>
>             For instance I had trouble getting to know how to pass
>             flash vars to an
>             HaXe flash application - I added that section to the wiki.
>
>             The HaXe and Neko book is fine - but some examples are
>             outdated.
>
>             So it would be nice to have kind of book which can be
>             updated by users
>             and n00bs themselves.
>
>             Marc Weber
>
>             --
>             haXe - an open source web programming language
>             http://haxe.org
>

>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Andy Li
Well, actually if there are more ppl coming to haxe, that should means more ppl helping newbies, writing tutos(or even books). Although the ratio of them is unknown...

Anyway, maybe we should start putting more time on writing and improving such "starting with xxx target"...

Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
[...]

Ummm... I forgot to declare myself as a n00b too.
Here it is:

var andy = new N00b();

Cheers,
Andy

Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
[...]

Excerpts from Lee McColl Sylvester's message of Tue Mar 16 19:13:13 +0100 2010:
> Hey Marc, don't mind Benjamin, he's just a big softy ;-) He's just

Sure. I just want to tell you about me having trouble adopting to the
HaXe language.

Now I thought let's create my use case: Create a class which "has-a"
position (-> composition)

idea:

  typedef Position<T> {
    var x:T;
    var y:T;
    var width:T;
    var height:T;
  }

  // a position and parent aware component
  class PP<T> {

    private var position: Position<T>

    public function setPos(p:Position<T>)
    {
      this.position = p;
      // resize childs ..

Example:

  var p1 = new PP<Int>();
  var p2 = new PP<Int>()

  var p:Position<Int> = Position { x= 10, };

  p1.setPos(p);
  p2.setPos(p); // passing same reference (?)
  p.x= 400;
  p2.setPos(p); // trigger setPos code

  p1 was resized as well but setPos was not called.

  So maybe setPos should create a copy of the position type?

  Is Reflect.copy() what I'm looking for?

Where to lookup whether typedefs are passed by reference or by value - I
assume behaviour should be the same on all backends?

Marc Weber

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

tom rhodes
well, i fully intend to share what i've learnt from doing my first 2 haxe php/javascript sites. i need to take a step back (once i've been paid) and break down all the steps it took me from "hmmm, interesting haxe might really help me do php/JS a lot better since i've been a flash dev for 10 years..." to actual real world haxe in action. then i'll make some tutorials detailing the steps...

so in a month or there shoudl be more info for someone following in my footsteps.

Benjamin Dasnois wrote:
[...]

Well, I' sorry if people felt designated by me as potential "timer
wasters", that wasn't what I meant at all :)

It's just that we should be prepared to that, but yes, I want haXe to
be known by more people.

Splitting the list is certainly not a good idea since I think that,
it's not because you're a "newbie" that you do not deserve to get the
help from the "experts" (if I dare to call myself an "expert").

On Tue, Mar 16, 2010 at 7:38 PM, Andy Li <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Ummm... I forgot to declare myself as a n00b too.
> Here it is:
> var andy = new N00b();
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:33 AM, Andy Li <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>
>> Well, actually if there are more ppl coming to haxe, that should means
>> more ppl helping newbies, writing tutos(or even books). Although the ratio
>> of them is unknown...
>> Anyway, maybe we should start putting more time on writing and improving
>> such "starting with xxx target"...
>>
>> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:13 AM, Lee McColl Sylvester
>> <[hidden email]> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hey Marc, don't mind Benjamin, he's just a big softy ;-) He's just
>>> worried our time will be diluted and he won't get much time to spend with
>>> his haXe buddies. Isn't that right, Benjamin? :-P
>>>
>>> Seriously, though, I can see the potential headache if it were crowds of
>>> people, but as I see it, we really need the community to grow in order for
>>> haXe to get the level of adoption it deserves.

DASNOIS Benjamin
http://www.benjamindasnois.com

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Andy Li
Marc,

For non-simple data(other than numbers and string), everything is by reference.
So you need to call a copy() or clone() if available. If there is not, best practice is to create one...
Reflect.copy may/may not work, as it is only copying all fields to the new object(except neko).
Another method you can try is
haxe.Unserializer.run(haxe.Serializer.run(obj))
which should be same as Reflect.copy...

Cheers,
Andy

On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Marc Weber <[hidden email]> wrote:
Excerpts from Lee McColl Sylvester's message of Tue Mar 16 19:13:13 +0100 2010:
> Hey Marc, don't mind Benjamin, he's just a big softy ;-) He's just

Sure. I just want to tell you about me having trouble adopting to the
HaXe language.

Now I thought let's create my use case: Create a class which "has-a"
position (-> composition)

idea:

 typedef Position<T> {
   var x:T;
   var y:T;
   var width:T;
   var height:T;
 }

 // a position and parent aware component
 class PP<T> {

   private var position: Position<T>

   public function setPos(p:Position<T>)
   {
     this.position = p;
     // resize childs ..

Example:

 var p1 = new PP<Int>();
 var p2 = new PP<Int>()

 var p:Position<Int> = Position { x= 10, };

 p1.setPos(p);
 p2.setPos(p); // passing same reference (?)
 p.x= 400;
 p2.setPos(p); // trigger setPos code

 p1 was resized as well but setPos was not called.

 So maybe setPos should create a copy of the position type?

 Is Reflect.copy() what I'm looking for?

Where to lookup whether typedefs are passed by reference or by value - I
assume behaviour should be the same on all backends?

Marc Weber

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Laurent Kappler

I like to stare at things above my head.
Keep it tight!

var laurent = new N00b();
laurent.oneUp();
laurent.putHisHandInTheAir();
laurent.feelings.add( 'useless' );
laurent.feelings.add( 'happy' );
laurent.learningStatu = LearningStatus.ALOT;

;) catch you.
Laurent

Andy Li a écrit :

> Marc,
>
> For non-simple data(other than numbers and string), everything is by
> reference.
> So you need to call a copy() or clone() if available. If there is not,
> best practice is to create one...
> Reflect.copy may/may not work, as it is only copying all fields to the
> new object(except neko).
> Another method you can try is
> haxe.Unserializer.run(haxe.Serializer.run(obj))
> which should be same as Reflect.copy...
>
> Cheers,
> Andy
>
> On Wed, Mar 17, 2010 at 2:49 AM, Marc Weber <[hidden email]
> <mailto:[hidden email]>> wrote:
>
>     Excerpts from Lee McColl Sylvester's message of Tue Mar 16
>     19:13:13 +0100 2010:
>     > Hey Marc, don't mind Benjamin, he's just a big softy ;-) He's just
>
>     Sure. I just want to tell you about me having trouble adopting to the
>     HaXe language.
>
>     Now I thought let's create my use case: Create a class which "has-a"
>     position (-> composition)
>
>     idea:
>
>      typedef Position<T> {
>        var x:T;
>        var y:T;
>        var width:T;
>        var height:T;
>      }
>
>      // a position and parent aware component
>      class PP<T> {
>
>        private var position: Position<T>
>
>        public function setPos(p:Position<T>)
>        {
>          this.position = p;
>          // resize childs ..
>        }
>
>      }
>
>     Example:
>
>      var p1 = new PP<Int>();
>      var p2 = new PP<Int>()
>
>      var p:Position<Int> = Position { x= 10, };
>
>      p1.setPos(p);
>      p2.setPos(p); // passing same reference (?)
>      p.x= 400;
>      p2.setPos(p); // trigger setPos code
>
>      p1 was resized as well but setPos was not called.
>
>      So maybe setPos should create a copy of the position type?
>
>      Is Reflect.copy() what I'm looking for?
>
>     Where to lookup whether typedefs are passed by reference or by
>     value - I
>     assume behaviour should be the same on all backends?
>
>     Marc Weber
>
>     --
>     http://haxe.org

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Simon Krajewski
Andy Li schrieb:
> Marc,
>
> For non-simple data(other than numbers and string), everything is by
> reference.
It makes no sense to pass a String by value (i.e. "copy" it) in haXe
since a String object cannot be modified anyway. You can only assign a
new String object to the reference, but this will have no effect on the
original reference (the one that is given as argument for the called
function) because... well, basically the reference itself is passed by
value. In C you can actually pass the pointer to an object by reference,
thus modifying where it's pointing at as opposed to modify the thing
it's pointing at.

Conclusion: Everything is passed by reference, except the references.

Regards
Simon

Re: Submitted "haxe support" in the new Adobe Labs Ideas

Andy Li
Oooops... Thanks for pointing out my misconception!
I have just written down step-by-step in order to understand it...

But isn't it strange it makes any small operation on string need to copy a large portion of it in memory?
Or is it designed in that way, because passing around string(eg. to function) is more often than making change on it?

Many thanks!
Andy

One question:
So, operation on string will result in a new string instant?
Eg.
var str0 = "abc";
str0