Streamlining PHP server & Flash client development - Tips on project structure, client embedding, remoting?

Streamlining PHP server & Flash client development - Tips on project structure, client embedding, remoting?

cambiata
I'm investigating the possibilities to replace my current server (php Kohana 3) and client (Flash/Flex) development with Haxe all way through. I'm sure that many of you are doing this already. Just want to share my thoughts on this - experiences and comments are welcome!

- Do you share the codebase between client and server? If so, do you host all the src files in the same FlashDevelop directory (separating packages when needed)?

- Do you use haxe js.SWFObject for the Flash client embedding? If so, this require sa separate JS target project, doesn't it? Do you integrate this into a web framework page output?

- Is haxe remoting suitable for large data volume transfer? I use quite heavy media loads into the client (typically fulllength 5-6 mp3 files for multichannel playback, serialized into a AMF bunch). Flash remoting isn't suitable for large load volumes - there's no way to monitor the download progress - so I currently use ordinrary http URLLoader loading. Does Haxe remoting permit monitoring data download progress on the client side?

Jonas

RE: Streamlining PHP server & Flash client development - Tips on project structure, client embedding, remoting?

Lee Sylvester
Hey Jonas,

See below for my comments and experiences -

- Do you share the codebase between client and server? If so, do you host
all the src files in the same FlashDevelop directory (separating packages
when needed)?

I tend to have common folders for containing value objects and shared logic
classes.  However, specifically client or server classes tend to go inside
their own folders.  I try to make as much of the logic cross-platform as
possible, so the client or server classes are usually very small and inherit
something which is common to both.

- Do you use haxe js.SWFObject for the Flash client embedding? If so, this
require sa separate JS target project, doesn't it? Do you integrate this
into a web framework page output?

Actually, no :-)  It's such a small thing that I tend to just drop the
SWFObject.js file in with my HTML and hand write it.

- Is haxe remoting suitable for large data volume transfer? I use quite
heavy media loads into the client (typically fulllength 5-6 mp3 files for
multichannel playback, serialized into a AMF bunch). Flash remoting isn't
suitable for large load volumes - there's no way to monitor the download
progress - so I currently use ordinrary http URLLoader loading. Does Haxe
remoting permit monitoring data download progress on the client side?

Not that I'm aware of.  haXe Remoting is fantastic for sharing data between
layers, but something like MP3 isn't something you'd share... It'd be client
only.  If I were to have server and client read MP3, then I could quite
happily store the meta data into a class and share that via haXe Remoting...
I guess, beneath it all, data integrity is abstract from the libraries that
haXe provides for working with said data...

Hope this helps.