Stax: the wikki

interaction-designer
Hi Staxers!,

Great that there is now a wiki on the github site of stax. I have added 4 subjects:
A. The design of Stax and the inspirations behind it
B. Some thoughts about new features
C. Imperative versus Declarative
D. S99: 99 code problems in Stax (most come with solutions ;)

I will add dripwise to [C] & [D].
[C] This will help people to get the same 180 degrees experience as I have. Stax will of course not only for me the first introduction to functional programming.
[D] this is inspired from
S99, 99 Scala problems and . The collection is structured into seven sections. The purpose of this problem collection will be to give you the opportunity to practice your skills in logic programming. Your goal should be to find the most elegant solution of the given problems. Efficiency is important, but logical clarity is even more crucial. Some of the (easy) problems can be trivially solved using built-in predicates.

Every predicate that you write should begin with a comment that describes the predicate in a
declarative statement. Do not describe procedurally, what the predicate does, but write down alogical statement which includes the arguments of the predicate. You should also indicate the intended data types of the arguments and the allowed flow patterns. The problems will have different levels of difficulty.

By the way there are also versions of these in Lisp, Haskell and Prolog. So it will also be a nice way to test the wisdom found in [A] and during the struggles with declarative programming, but also to people who have experience with Scala, Haskell or Lisp and know the 99 problems in one of these. Also a nice reading/coding exercise from Stax novice to expert.

I hope you the guys who design Stax or other contributors will say something about :
[A] the Api design of Stax and also where all the inspiration comes from (Scala, Haskell) and how some of those are improved a bit further in Stax. This can be very interesting to people who use Scala or Haskell, as well by people who are interested in good Api designs!

[B] Also because haxe is evolving so fast (Macro's) there might be things you guys are thinking about (Monads anyone?). And this is also very interesting for people who use Stax heavily :) (I sure plan to, i am still learning though, it's a completely refreshing 180 degrees experience when your brain got addicted too imperative programming).

Greetings, Simon

Re: Stax: the wikki

John A. De Goes
<base href="x-msg://1092/">

Hi Simon,

Great idea. We will contribute to this Wiki as we have time.

I suggest posting a link to it so everyone can find it easily.

Also, if you wanted to copy problems, I'm sure some of the Stax maintainers (myself included) would be happy to provide Stax solutions.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
Twitter: @jdegoes
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/jdegoes