Stax: examples and howto's

interaction-designer
Hi John and other Stax peole (&List),

Currently there is no wiki enabled on the github Stax address. So if some one wants to add some documentation (at least for howto's) there is no central place to contribute to. Could you guys make a central wiki so I can place some simple howto's. My point of view is also that of it's inteded audience, since I am documentating as I am learning, also giving a good representative focus in terms of what is basic and what is basic, regular and advanced usage.

Stax is very powerful. For newbe's like me to declarative programming in general there are resources about that generic subject, however I don't have experience with Scala nor haskell to reuse, and then there is Stax. So to get some traction to get newbe's to Stax enthousiast, it would be nice to have some sample code for each member as defined in the api. This will give only a detailed view on things still. So also there should be some tutorials how to use Streams, behaviors etc, also witch example code.

Looking forward for your answer.

Cordially, Simon

Re: Stax: examples and howto's

MarcWeber
> how to use Streams, behaviors etc, also witch example code.
The topic is called "reactive programming"
Eg this sml to js compiler has some nice examples:
http://www.itu.dk/people/mael/smltojs/

Googling for that keyword should point you to some resources giving you
an idea what it is about.

I'm not sure I do fully understand what "behaviors" etc are.

Marc Weber

Re: Stax: examples and howto's

interaction-designer
Marc,

That's not an answer to my question. Which is a _central_ point with wiki functionality (probably the gits site iself) so people van contribute howto's.... I just gave an example to have a wiki entry for a tutorial how reactive programming is done in Stax to give an idea of useful topics. A much broader question than you intrepreted. Anyway thanks for the link.

Cheers, Simon

> how to use Streams, behaviors etc, also witch example code.
The topic is called "reactive programming"
Eg this sml to js compiler has some nice examples:
http://www.itu.dk/people/mael/smltojs/

Googling for that keyword should point you to some resources giving you
an idea what it is about.

I'm not sure I do fully understand what "behaviors" etc are.

Marc Weber

Re: Stax: examples and howto's

Heinz Hölzer-2
  You can add a stax topic to the haxe tutorials section on
http://haxe.org/doc.

Am 22.09.2010 14:47, schrieb [hidden email]:

> Marc,
>
> That's not an answer to my question. Which is a _central_ point with wiki functionality (probably the gits site iself) so people van contribute howto's.... I just gave an example to have a wiki entry for a tutorial how reactive programming is done in Stax to give an idea of useful topics. A much broader question than you intrepreted. Anyway thanks for the link.
>
> Cheers, Simon

Re: Stax: examples and howto's

John A. De Goes

Hi Simon,

I just enabled the Wiki feature of Stax. You can reach it at the following URL:

This enables anyone to freely contribute documentation to Stax -- examples, code snippets, walkthroughs, etc.

This is one way the community can help contribute to Stax in a very useful way, without doing any coding. Examples of imperative solution contrasted with functional, Stax solution would be quite helpful.

As I have free time, I will also contribute to this Wiki myself. For example, I'm going to do a tutorial on "monads with Stax", to show how the same few functions (map/flatMap/unit) can be used to solve many different kinds of problems.

Regards,

John A. De Goes
Twitter: @jdegoes
LinkedIn: http://linkedin.com/in/jdegoes

On Sep 22, 2010, at 6:00 AM, [hidden email] wrote:

[...]

Thanks John!